“Garden Eden & co.- An extraordinary place for extraordinary people” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Casa Privata

and 1 more site!
Casa Privata
Ranked #8 of 12 Praiano B&B and Inns
Vienna, Austria
“Garden Eden & co.- An extraordinary place for extraordinary people”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2010

I was more than surprised when I have finally found an oasis of extraordinary taste, privacy and pristine atmosphere-all these combined in Ca'Pa.
This year has already been my third stay there, the first having been the summer of 2007, then in the spring of 2009 and only last month- and I must say I will always come back.
This time I was travelling with a friend and she was also totally breath taken by the special situation that Ca'Pa offers. Before that I have been there with my boyfriend.
It was the perfect getaway for a week with its beautiful garden, sea-access and all of the fantastic& authentic Italian 50ies style beaches that were in comfortable proximity. Although we have only had a double room there it felt like the whole place was ours because there were hardly any people visible even though the whole place was booked out. But since there are only 6 rooms it does not add up to all-to-many people in general, which is a pure luxury itself.
We spent our days either at the extraordinary beach of the hotel or at other beaches that were recommend to us by the hotel, which was nice because they know all the special places where we found hardly any tourists, rather Italian, local people. This fact I also understand as very important because the last thing I would want, is to see is a beach packed with cheap tourists, which actually would have killed the whole atmosphere. That is, for instance, one reason why I loved Ca'Pa- because all of the other guest were very distinguished, open minded & interesting people, among them mostly people from the creative side, also leading to interesting conversations when wanted.
The atmosphere in the villa itself was beautiful, not just because of the highly tasteful furniture that was assembled with sure instinct, especially respecting all the little details that separate the wheat from the chaff. It is an old fisherman's house that was turned, in respect to its ground-structure, to a very sophisticated yet still unpretentious hotel-if one would want to rate it down, i guess one would call it a design-hotel.
Our room was just splendid, we had the red suite, and I must say we both fell completely in love with its candid beauty.Among other amenities we found also a TV with a DVD player and I loved the fact that they have an ample collection of DVDs that one could just take, as many as one wants! It was perfect for lazy nights when we did not want to go out, just have the windows wide open and feeling the incoming sea breeze cuddling with us-fantastic! No air-conditioning needed what so ever, and I like the fact they kept steady about not installing this hideous & redundant gadget although many guest were already complaining about its absence. Believe me, it would ruin the whole atmosphere to close oneself off to one of the most amazing garden/sea breeze experience ever.
The food experience was also great-the breakfast was super-fresh and good with not too many items, but those available were of great quality and not generic from the supermarket like it is the case in most hotels.There were fresh fruits and vegetables, some of them from their own garden, which is, of course as fresh as it can be and full of real taste.
Although they don't really have a restaurant, one can still have dinner there because they can cook themselves/or also have a cook coming in to cook there on request, and I am telling you, the food was not only delicious but also cooked with real fervency-as opposed to so many restaurants where this is surely not the case. We also ate out and were again very lucky with the hotels recommendations, also since the area is quite touristy and there exist many, many rip-off places with inferior quality- that one should be aware of.
In general, I must say that the staff was incredibly nice and helpful in any respect, be it booking water-taxis, restaurants or even a private boat tour to Capri. One of the very likable factors about the staff was that one wasn't permanently bothered by them, they were nicely reticent but when needed they were more than happy to assists with any questions or requests.
Although I admit that the amount of stairs one has to take into account might be a bit daunting, but it is totally worth it because what awaits you after them (besides a perfectly firm butt after one week) is always rewarding. For those who are not so much into walking stairs I can share a good practice to avoid to walk them up all to often: Walk down to the beach, from there take a water taxi (any time of the day/night) to wherever you want to go and then return to Ca'Pa either by local bus (amazing experience) or by normal taxi. Since the street is above the property one has only to walk to stairs down to get back. Still, the stairs work wonders if one engages with them.

Since this has been my third stay at Ca'Pa already, I also want to express my admiration to the owners who have managed to enhance this place over the last couple of years to an extend that the result is just extraordinarily wonderful and seldom to find.

From what I have read of the other reviews I understand that there might have been some little things to find fault with, the only thing I can say to those people is that then they have not understood and appreciated what Ca'Pa stands for, pure beauty apart from any squareness. To those I want to recommend a Best Western Hotel for their next trip-wherever it may lead them. I am sure they will find there what they are looking for, i.e. mediocrity, because Ca'Pa is everything else BUT mediocre: as already mentioned in my title, an extraordinary place for extraordinary people.
To those of you showing a strong interest in un-square places with breathtaking nature (the garden by Jaques Wirtz, a Belgien superstar landscape architect) and an authentic & classy atmosphere I want to recommend Ca'Pa as the perfect spot for any type of vacation- it is, afterall, unique!

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
3 Thank ciccabella

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
London
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2009

Having read a gleaming review in Tatlers's travel guide and similarly gleaming reviews on Trip Advisor I confidently booked a room for my husband. From the moment we arrived our expectations were however not met. This hotel is certainly more of a b&b, the receptionist (not owners) that met us did not speak any english so it was a struggle to book a restaurant for dinner or book a taxi to the airport the following morning. Our room despite having a lovely view was very sparsly furnished with a small double bed considering the size of the room & the bathroom was more of a walk in wardrobe.
There was a musty smell in the corridors and judging by the plants growing out of the salt water pool it's been a long time since it had water in it! The ladder provided at the foot of the garden to access the sea had clearly taken it's toll and did not look at all safe.
We were charged 250 Euros for a one night stay which was excessive and not at all reflective of the standard of accommodation. We were very disappointed. The 100's of steps down to the sea and up to the road are the least of your worries if you choose to stay here.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank HillaryLondon
Toronto
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 November 2008

this place is what the Amalfi coast was all about in the 50's and 60's.
How wonderful for someone with a heart and passion to create the perfect place to stay. Its run as if it was your home so relax, swim or dive off the cliffs into the med, rent a private speed boat to Capri for the day or just relax in the gardens. Have dinner prepared under the stars or slip away to a little cove for some of the best ... any way enough said. This one is worth not sharing.

If your independent, sensible and sophisticated this is your target.

• Liked — the views
  • Disliked — the couch and chairs in the reception.....what the ?
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple
Frankfurt
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2008

Paradise has got a name: Casa Privata, or in short Ca’ P’a.

One feels inclined to post either no review at all or a bad one so that this blissful place remains a secret. However, this would be a very selfish thing to do.

Those who wish to find some peace and quiet away from all the hustle and bustle will certainly enjoy themselves here.

Breakfast is lovingly prepared and will be waiting for you even at noon.

Our “kind angel” who is the heart and soul of Ca’ P’a is called Marie. She is so thoughtful and caring that she fulfills your wishes even before you realize you actually had them. She makes you feel as if you were visiting good friends at their home. This place is incredibly private and undisturbed, and you are in the hands of hosts who will attend to your every comfort. Feeling free to fetch yourself a glass of water, a bottle of wine or prosecco from the fridge is all part of the experience. Needless to say, you will not be bothered by any waiters or vouchers requiring your signature. Instead you simply drop a note of what you had at the honor wine bar.

You will always find a spot in the caringly landscaped gardens (this is what I imagine the Garden of Eden looks like) to read, write (you must write your memoirs here), dream and enjoy yourselves without being bothered or watched even if all the rooms and suites, which can accommodate up to 12 guests, are taken.

The Amalfi coast is known for its long stairways. No matter if you climb up or down: You will always be rewarded here.

If you go down, you will find sun decks, sunshades and have private access to the beach. If you go up, there will be excellent restaurants and genuine hospitality in Praiano as well as lots of opportunities for excursions either by bus or your own car.

And Marie will be there to watch over everything: She will give you unerring recommendations, organize water taxis and will describe routes and destinations to you. But actually, you will not want to leave.

Nothing proves impossible for Marie. If you really wish to be connected to the outside world, she will get you a newspaper early in the morning or a pizza from the village for lunch. Upon request, she will provide her guests not only with melon and gammon, salami and Parmesan cheese, but will even prepare a multicourse local meal for small groups every now and then.

Spreading her youthful charms, Marie knows how to create a relaxed and joyful atmosphere that makes you feel right at home. If you should have a problem, all she will say will be: “No worries, we can get that fixed.” She may look at you a little thoughtful at first, but only to start beaming once again because she only just thought of a solution.

Let me go on to rave about the house itself: Every room has been most lovingly equipped with antiques, furniture created by the hosts themselves and exotic details brought in from Indonesia. There is more than enough storage space. It is only consistent that there is no air conditioning. The vaulted ceilings, some of which are of considerable height, contain ventilation slots that were contrived by local fishermen long ago and still serve their purpose brilliantly.

Let me conclude by saying that I would turn my back on any 5 star hotel for the incomparable privacy, the loving care and the overall feeling of comfort you get at Ca’ P’a. This is where you can really relax and let your spirits flow and decide every morning anew which one of the many quiet and beautiful spots in the gardens - be it in the sun or shade - you wish to conquer for the day.

• Liked — The incomparable privacy, loving care, peace and quiet.
  • Disliked — ---
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SabinaS
Arlington Heights, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2008

I loved this place, as the previously reviewer notes the privacy and beautiful views are great. As there are not frills to this place, it is still a very unique place to spend some time with the people you love.

If you want to stay at a frills place, you should book one of the fancy hotels in Amalfi, Poisitano, etc.... This place allows you to get to know the little town of Praiano, with the ability to travel to the other towns.

The gardens, view and house itself are amazing and should be enjoyed while you visit. As there are a ton of stairs, it was well worth the climb up and down. Marie and Max will have someone help you with your luggage at any point in time if you just ask. They offered us help coming in and leaving.

There are some quaint restaurants near this place (Le Brace is one).

As this was probably not the most trendy/frills place I have stayed, it was well worth the money and the relaxation that it offered.

Max and Marie were fantastic hosts, they were welcoming and allowed you the privacy to enjoy and experience this place.

• Liked — Unique place to stay, location and beautiful gardens/views
  • Disliked — stairs
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled as a couple
London
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2008

After almost a week at Casa Privata as part of our honeymoon I'm still not sure if I'd recommend it to friends. I like the concept of a privately run, "no frills" B&B with secluded bathing bays but I don't think they've got it quite right and it errs too much on the side of basic for the high rates they charge. I think the fact it offers such stunning sea views over compensates for what it lacks in other areas.

It was perfectly adequate and Max & Marie are perfectly "nice" but it does (as the last reviewer noted) feel as if you're staying in someone's home. We got back one night to find everyone who worked there having a BBQ but didn't feel as if we were particularly welcome to join them,

It's location, 100 steps down from the road and 150 steps up from the sea is both a blessing and a curse. It does lend it an air of privacy (as its namesake suggests) but means it's a hassle and a slog to go anywhere. Some other fairly crucial details are lacking: apparently the owners think that air conditioning is a bit naf so guests have to sweat it out on hot nights. The musty odour in the rooms and bathrooms is pretty unpleasant. The bathing bays are not arranged very well so you might have to share the most coveted spot with another couple. The terrace for three of the rooms is also joined so you might get another guest unexpectently walking past your french windows whilst you're getting changed.

All though the ethos of Casa Privata seems to focus on "helping yourself" (honesty bar etc) the service was often found severly lacking. No one offered to help us lug our luggage up the 150 steps when we arrived by water taxi or came out to meet us when we arrived very late at night. And at the risk of sounding pedantic, guests are only provided with basic soap rather than shower gel/bath foam etc which at the price per night is quite surprising.

We also booked in to the restaurant to eat one evening and the food was v mediocre for the price, cooked by the chap who also did most of the gardening and seemed to spend most of his afternoons asleep on one of the benches.

So all in all I have very mixed views. If you like complete privacy, stunning sea views and a rustic setting then you'll probably love it. But if you like a bit of pampering tand luxury or if it's a really special occasion then this is not the place to you.

• Liked — The view and the private bathing bays.
  • Disliked — Ironically - the location - 100 steps down from the road and the 150 steps up from the sea.
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank LondonTraveller78
Switzerland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2007

Outstanding experience! As godfather I rented Casa Privata for the baptism. Max, Rosa and Marie organized this celebration with such excellence and didn’t leave a detail out. We were 4 couples, one teenager, 3 kids and a baby and there was something for everybody. While the kids played in this amazing garden and by the fountain we enjoyed a glass of wine or the sunloungers by the sea. The baptism was in the Church in Praiano with Don Pio who was fantastic. After the ceremony we went back to the villa where we had a culinaric dinner experience with 5 light courses followed by a firework in the evening. It could not have been any better. A big thank you to the hosts who have made this day really something special. It just brings you in the mood to celebrate more and without a doubt there is no better place than this – with this magnificent view from each of the six rooms and this stunning local architecture with its original old cupolas and this big Mediterranean garden planned by Jacques Wirtz – the big maestro of landscape architecture.

• Stayed October 2006, travelled on business
1 Thank MDudler
Also consider these accommodations in or near Praiano
Casa Angelina
#5 of 20 in Praiano
Grand Hotel Tritone
Grand Hotel Tritone
#7 of 20 in Praiano

Been to Casa Privata? Share your experiences!