“Great designer hotel”

Relais Antica Badia
Ranked #6 of 37 Hotels in Ragusa
“Great designer hotel”
Reviewed 4 October 2013

We loved this hotel. Great service and staff - and the design was amazing.
Loved the quirky little details everywhere.

The room was small but nice. Air con could have worked a little bit better, but it wasnt too bad

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Upper Saddle River, New Jersey
Reviewed 3 September 2013

The staff at the hotel was first rate - I could not get our car through the parking entrance - they not only immediately offered to help but manuvered the car with expert ease. We also need laundry done by our morning check out - and it was delivered to our room before promised.
We also ate at the rooftop dining - the food was delicious and the view first rate.
We highly recommend this hotel to anyone staying in Ragusa.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank mpdripchak
Barcelona, Spain
Reviewed 12 August 2013

City Hotel in Ragusa, just located in front of the Cathedral. We arrived late and had a misunderstanding between our reservation and the information provided to the hotel. But thanks to Ignazio, we could find a solution. His profesionality and the way of solving the problem, deseves all our gratitude.

Excellent dinner at the hotel's terrace, with astonishing's views of the cathedral. No time to utilize the spa area. Large room and bathroom with a small TV. Poor breakfast, for a 5 star hotel. Good and reasonable pricing.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Toni3452
United States
Reviewed 23 July 2013

We loved our one night stay in this converted palazzo with 12 rooms/suites. The shared areas are plentiful - including lounges, dining area, a rooftop terrace and spa (at entry level). Our family of 4 stayed in the geranium suite on the top floor (they brought in a roll-away bed). Only negative in the bathroom was that there was no way to shower in the jacuzzi (a design flaw we found in many Sicilian bathrooms where a dedicated place to hang the hand nozzle would have made for a great shower). Staff were very friendly and most spoke great English. We found the location quiet and peaceful. A 20 minute walk down hill to Ibla - which only comes alive in the evening. 10 euro parking in the adjoining courtyard was much appreciated.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Milano
Reviewed 19 July 2013

Although the staff is kind and friendly, I had a bad experience with the owners.
Returning at night, I put the phone on the bedside table, only for this the lamp broke... believe it or not. It was evidently already cracked and the weight of the iphone on the small table perhaps completed the work. I forgot to tell the management because it was 1 am at night. When leaving, days later, I was asked to pay 100 Euros for compensation. I explained what had happened to the owner who behave rudely, and did not want to believe me. But when I asked them to invoice even the compensation, which I accepted to pay because I couldn't demonstrate what had happened, they added the vat saying that the price was already discounted and the lamp was worth more, according to him. I was really disappointed that he did not believe me, that he expected me to pay without an invoice and that a 5 star hotel is not equipped with an insurance policy. Aside from this, they are kind and it's a beautiful place.

Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank gi0sa
minardiale, Owner at Relais Antica Badia, responded to this review, 25 July 2013
Dear Guest,
I read very carefully your feedback and I appreciated you liked our staff and the location. About the incident you’ve reported I would clarify just a few points:
- The compensation of 100€ was included on invoice that we gave you at check out (if you lost the paper we can send you a copy) and of course we applied the VAT, as usual
- The actual price of the lamp is 275€ (it’s a design lamp on Murano glass)
- It was the first time I decided to ask to the guest to pay a rupture (and it was the only one case). In my memory I remember 3 cases at least that we decided not to apply the compensation. In that cases clients told us immediately the incident and apologized personally to me.
- We have the Insurance policy that cover a lot of cases but the Company didn’t want to insure the Client ruptures.

I hope our position it’s more clear now.

My kindly regards
Andrea Galli
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 July 2013

The friendly culture of Ragusa was reflected in this hotel. A natural courtesy, not forced, made staying there and eating there a real pleasure from all levels of staff. Breakfast was great and the setting of an old thick walled palazzio with random spaces and 19th. Century décor gave a real and pleasurable feel. Roof terrace meal was great, good eating places nearby and a lovely walk downhill to Ibla matched by a cheap bus (or taxi) back. Ideal in every way and helped by the staff exemplified by a forgotten photo stick which they contacted me about and are going to the post office especially to send back. Definitely back next year.

Room Tip: Lavanda on top floor sees the sun rise into the bedroom and off the road masks the church bells
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Bedford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 June 2013

Only spent one light in our stone barrel vaulted room at this wonderful hotel - wish it could have been longer. Room beautifully appointed and public spaces tastefully decorated with high ceilinged breakfast room. Staff very helpful and cheap parking on site a real bonus. Only a 10 Euro taxi ride to restaurants in the lower town.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Also consider these accommodations in or near Ragusa
San Giorgio Palace Hotel
#5 of 37 in Ragusa
Hotel Poggio del Sole Resort
Hotel Principe di Fitalia Wellness & SPa
La dimora di Spartivento

Been to Relais Antica Badia? Share your experiences!