Eremo della Giubiliana
US$120
Hotel Baia del Sole(Marina di Ragusa)
US$92
US$627
US$292
US$108
US$103
La Moresca Maison de Charme(Marina di Ragusa)
US$215
Club Med Kamarina(Ragusa)
US$428
clubmed.us
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsthe cottagesknights of st johnsmall luxury hotelalmond milkglass of proseccobeautiful hotelvery special placethe main houselovely courtyardstayed here for three nightsdeluxe roombeautiful countrysidericotta cheeseminute drivehistoric buildinggoogle mapsstayed longer
Reviewed 9 June 2008

The hotel is so beautiful and quite, the perfect place to relax. It's like livining in a museum.

Service is excellent, real 5 stars! The General Manager, Rosario Rubino, is a superb landlord!

The place to stay when in Sicily!

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled with friends
Reviewed 4 June 2008

During my last travel in Scily, I stayed in Eremo della Giubiliana, near Ragusa. This is an old and historical building very fine and sugestive. There aren't work in progress during my stay in Eremo.

Everything was silent and quiet: I read in TA about noise in the hotel, cause works, but these works are evidently finished.

Everyting was perfect and I had a special emotion flying on the Eremo with a private plane: sicily from the sky is amazing.

It was a little break during my trip! I was here for a work in Ragusa, but this hotel conquer me. I hope to came back for a leisure trip!

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled on business
Reviewed 28 May 2008

We expected a lot from the frequently rated No 1hotel in Sicily. What a dissapointment. And, it was overpriced to boot. They are clueless about service and what is expected at a "5" star hotel. For example, upon a return from a long walk (longer than expected due to their bad directions) at 2:30 PM we were very hungry. We were told the chef had left. No offer of fruit or even a piece of cheese or any leftovers from breakfast. And the hotel is in the middle of nowhere so we ate a cereal bar from our travel bag....and then felt ripped off at dinner. Easily double the price of what it should have been.

The rooms were small and the bathrooms smaller. It did have a certain amount of charm but that is about it. Find someplace to stay....probably in the old part of Ragusa.

• Stayed: May 2007
2  Thank rocket41
Reviewed 9 May 2008

The guidebooks have overrated this one. If I had been expecting and paying for a 3 star place, this would have been great, but it missed the 5 star status by at least 2 stars. The place is charming and the people were nice, but it was way overpriced and under-serviced. We paid for their deluxe room and although large enough, there wasn't even a shower in one of our rooms. Not even a hook for the hand held nozzle with a shower curtain. The brochure in the room stated there was afternoon tea, when we came down and asked we were met only by perplexed employees. We ate dinner there one night and it was very good, but highly overpriced. The place is out of the way and they offer no transportation. It is near no village and they did not inform us on check -in that there is no way to get any food there between breakfast and dinner. The brochure had walking and biking trails but none of them were maintained or clearly marked. Several of us got lost and came back hungry and tired and were not offered even a glass of cold water, complimentary. I don't really mean to be a downer, we were just expecting more based on the reviews and the price.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled with family
4  Thank peter007
DirezioneEremo, Salvatore Mancini Nifosì, Proprietario at Eremo della Giubiliana, responded to this reviewResponded 9 June 2008

Dear Tripadvisor Members,
I’m sorry for the inconvenience you met during your stay, but I’m really sorry about your comment that I wish I’ll give you a response point by point.
As far I understand you sent on different times two comments for the same matter (probably to double the negative effect of your comment). This does not seem fair to me definitely, for this reason, since you are the same persons (a group of four), I will give you one only answer for the two letters.
- First you say “overpriced” and “overrated” , but compared to the quality of the property we are the less priced five star luxury hotel in Sicily.
- “Under-serviced” and “clueless about service”, with only 25 rooms our personnel usually double the number of the guests at the hotel.
- At 2pm our Restaurant in the “long room” close, but our light snack menu is available all day long, serving many nice traditional specialities. Furthermore I am aware that my Staff at the reception is always demonstrated great care with our Guests, and thus sensitivity to anticipate their needs and desires. In your case I was told that you were so disappointed for the Restaurant closed that you never give a second chance to the receptionist.
- You say “the Eremo is in the middle of nowhere” “near no village”, sorry for that but probably a cultural gap has limited your capacity of appreciating it; because the property is in the middle of the unspoiled worldwide known “Ragusa-Shire”, a beautiful highlands facing the Mediterranean, full of magnificent stone Manor and “Masserie”, with such a gorgeous landscape that the Italian “ Ministero per i Beni Culturali” has enlisted it between the nine more important Italian landscapes (and God knows if Italy has beautiful landscapes); the Eremo is at few kilometers from Ragusa, Modica, Scicli and Noto, all listed as “UNESCO WORLD HERITAGE SITE” for the splendor and unique baroque architecture; the area keep such a concentration of arts and archeological remains that the south-eastern Sicily (historically known as Val di Noto) is considered one the richest sites in the world.
- The Eremo, that you admit “it have a certain amount of charm” and “the place is charming”, is a “bene culturale” itself. It is a fortified convent of the XV-XVII century, perfectly restored, that means we try to leave as much as possible of the original historical character of the structure with the friar cells converted in rooms, (definitely not as large as a big brand hotel) and completely furnished with original antique Sicilian furniture and household goods (not false or replicas) mainly belonging to the owners family.
- All our bathrooms, with an elegant design using our pitchstone, has got Jacuzzi bathtub with shower with the proper hook for the hand held nozzle with shower curtain. As you can see in the pictures on our internet website.
- “Walking and biking trades not well maintained”, the Eremo della Giubiliana is probably one of the few hotels settled in the middle of the territory and still connected by many medieval path that the guest can use with the help of a nice handbook and small signs with our red tower symbol. If a guest get lost just advice us and a defender will promptly rescue them. On request we can give transportation anywhere, getting a taxi limousine service, but even, since we have private airfield with our own aircraft, flight services to the major Italian and Mediterranean destination.
A stay at the Eremo della Giubiliana is an unique experience. That means have the opportunity to stay in a real place with a cultural experience that bring you in the fascinating world of Sicilian Landlords, and this is one of the reason to have been rated the no 1 hotel in Sicily. (see our press room in our website).

All this considered, I feel that when such tasteless are made about a property, I cannot help but think that, if you like the big brand hotel, next time book it and avoid places like Eremo della Giubiliana.

Salvatore Mancini Nifosì
Owner of the Eremo della Giubiliana

Rosario Rubino
general manager

Reviewed 9 May 2008

My housband and I we have been at The Eremo for the second time, and this second time waas better.
We were there in April and we enjoyed our stay. Everything was excellent: from the welcome to the food and the service. They are still working to renew one part of the Eremo but that fact didn't disturb us. The landscape is beautiful but this time the service made the difference and we will come back on September for a week.
We would like to suggest this place to all those people that are looking to relax their stressful mind and give sun to their soul.
Susan & John