“Very unique and special property”

Eremo della Giubiliana
Ranked #6 of 39 Hotels in Ragusa
Tampa, Fl.
“Very unique and special property”
Reviewed 19 July 2010

This was a very special place though somewhat off the beaten path. Food was terrific and we enjoyed our room on the ground floor right off a courtyard area where you could have breakfast or dinner in unique surroundings. We had intended to invest in a plane ride to Malta as the hotel has a landing strip and the owner charters out the plane to guests, but the plane was in for maintenance. We stayed 2 nights which I think worked out right for out 12 day vacation in Sicily.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 15 July 2010

Came across EREMO DELLA GIUBILIANA close to Marina di Ragusa by accident and entirely unplanned. What a treasure! It is listed as a five star hotel but is far better than most 5 star places I have stayed at. The staff are extremely helpful and attentive without being intrusive. Accomodations are excellent. If you like food, wait until you taste what they have to offer! Simply the best! Perfectly prepared and presented. A Zen paradise!
The downside of this review is that it may be harder for me to get a reservation in the future when word gets out about this wonderful place!

• Stayed July 2010
Reviewed 12 June 2010

My wife and I recently spent three days at this wonderful oasis in the middle of the countryside outside Ragusa.. I can only second the laudatory comments made by several other reviewers. The hotel has charm, taste, beautiful service and an excellent restaurant. It even has a private airstrip for the well-heeled guest. Prices are high but pre-paying can substantially lower the room rate. A lavish buffet breakfast and internet connection are included.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank stveb
Charlottesville VA
Reviewed 12 June 2010

We had a hard time finding the Eremo in a rather irritated state. Smiles and calm descended with the gracious professional greeting at the desk, accompanied by the offer of tall glasses of blood orange juice. This is a luxurious small hotel consisting of several stone buildings in a walled historic family property with gardens, hidden in the countryside amid fields a few miles inland from the sea. The Eremo combines the appeal of 16th C architecture and antique furnishings with every modern technological update: the eletronic gate to the property opens soundlessly when you announce your name at arrival, beamed rooms are equipped with AC, flat screen TV and wireless internet access (though not free and we had a problem connecting), and the maitre d' communicates with the kitchen by headset. Food is excellent in a beautiful dining room. It is elegant but has a charming family atmosphere. Excellent service and staff. Massages, facials and other spa services offered in a traditional style building on the premises. They maintain a small private beach on the sea some miles away which we did not get to, and feature interesting excursions, some with their private plane and pilot. It is not cheap but this is a serene and wonderful spot and we will return to it.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 27 April 2010

We arrived at Eremo della Giubiliana a little under the weather from a food poisoning experience in Siracusa. While we clearly missed much of what this great place had to offer, we couldn't have had a more comfortable convalescence. The staff was focused and warmly responsive to our unfortunate plight. Cokes, water juice and ice came to our room along with inquiries about our condition and/or progress. We did manage to dine one evening in the beautiful dining room, though the experience was largely lost on us.

We got better and had to leave this beautiful place without really ever partaking of it. But our recollection will always be of this elegant country refuge and the warm and attentive people we encountered there. Eremo della Giubliliana is securely on the first page of our favorite places. There is an understated and comfortable elegance here that will never disappoint.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
new york
Reviewed 8 April 2010

It's a beautiful place. It needs the warmth and care of an interested host. My husband is a pilot and we looked forward to the promised small plane day trips. This was unavailable. The advertised 1/2 day Range Rover trips were also not available. We had booked five nights. The hosts never appeared even when my husband asked the staff to meet him. The family lives on the premises.
We would have been happy to have dinner there every night after each day's sightseeing but the small menu never changed... and we were usually one of two couples having dinner.
This is a very expensive place to stay. It's location away in the country dictates a personal warm experience. Beauty can't make up for lack of leadership.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank kinderhook
DirezioneEremo, Proprietario at Eremo della Giubiliana, responded to this review, 23 June 2010
I am extremely sorry not to have been able to meet my guests but unfortunately I was unavoidably detained by my architectural commitments at the site of our eco-resort, currently under construction and due to open shortly to welcome visitors.
I am particularly saddened because our policy of hospitality at the Eremo della Giubiliana, which I would like to recall has been a family home since the 18th century, is specifically designed to grant guests the opportunity of observing customs and practices of the aristocracy living in the Ragusan Highlands.
Therefore I was greatly disappointed not to have been available to meet you and present you personally with all the Eremo della Giubiana has to offer in its endeavour to award visitors a unique travel experience, flavoured with the zest of local traditions, which we also attempt to convey through the food we serve.
In view of this I am surprised, considering the three menus proposed by our "Don Eusebio" restaurant: "Masseria di Terra", "Masseria di Mare" and "Antique Gourmet", which boast essentially home-grown prime ingredients, selected and artfully prepared by our young chef Vincenzo Santalucia; I can only presume that the menu in question was the Light Lunch Menu option which we propose as an alternative daytime choice.
The availability of aeroplanes and Range Rover for excursions, thus providing an exclusive means of exploration not only of our own beautiful territory but also that of the other Mediterranean Islands we reach on our Day Trips, has proved a very popular proposition and for this reason guests may have found them fully booked.
I apologise for this also, realising that such an experience would surely have contributed to making perfect their stay.
I sincerely hope that you will return in the future as our welcome guests in order that I may share with you the fulness of the Eremo della Giubiliana Experience.
London
Reviewed 28 March 2010

As a travel writer by trade I very rarely write reviews like this but I want to see this hotel have every success based purely on it's merit. I found it originally whilst working for Tatler magazine in 2008. I returned having made friends with the owners and decided to get married there last summer as it is simply the most beautiful place I have been.

The service and staff are utterly professional and yet warm and interesting to chat to. The grounds are manicured and yet rambling and relaxed. Rooms are simple yet stylish and sumptuously appointed. The food is second to none in Sicily and I have never left the dining room anything other than delighted.

The region is historically fascinating, rustically beautiful and mercifully unknown to mainstream tourism.

I simply can't recommend it highly enough and I often joke that if I ever marry again, it would be back here!

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank lydialexlise
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ragusa
Artemisia Resort
#1 of 25 in Agrigento
Verdura Resort
Verdura Resort
#1 of 10 in Sciacca

Been to Eremo della Giubiliana? Share your experiences!