“Small seaside town”
Review of Donnalucata

Donnalucata
Ranked #7 of 67 things to do in Ragusa
Reviewed 7 April 2014

Nice beach, a few restaurants in town and not busy, more relaxed than other locations, expect it is quite busy in summer onths as lots of holiday homes in the area. Also a place that was used for exterior shots in Inspector Montalbano, What more could you want.

1  Thank Mad_dublin
There are newer reviews for Donnalucata

Reviewed 1 August 2013

This was our second time to Sicily after having fallen in love with the Island in May last year. We rushed in January for the Are Lingus sale and booked flights for April and August after much deliberation. After many questions and many reservations about holiday homes and the merits or a car, we settled on Donnalucata and booked what seemed like the most wonderful holiday home by the beach. My husband was very apprehensive as even though we knew it was off-season it seems unrealistically cheap. We managed the transfer from Catania to Donnalucata very last at night and therefore really didn't see much when we arrived. Donnalucata is a beautiful little fishing village and everyone is so so incredibly friendly. By the end of the holiday we knew everyone in the village from the bar to the supermarket to the ice cream shop. Of course with four children and three very blonde... everyone knew us and I really enjoyed the comments from the Italian Grandmothers asking me were they all mine !!! and when I said yes they commented Brava Mama - of course my comments back was non stupido !!!!! The House we rented through home holidays was perfect directly on the beach as lots of houses are in Donnalucata, the owners parents lived next door - themselves also converted by the mystical Sicily - from the North - they came down last october and hadn't left by April !!! We became great friends with them and the owners Mother treated me like a daughter - cooking and washing for us - what bliss. !! They introduced us to some other locals and now (through the power of FB) we have great friends in Donnalucata.
There was as suggested everything in the village: The small local Conad was perfect, The local bar (Mimo's) served great coffee and breakfast, There was an amazing wine shop where you could buy wine by the plastic bottle for next to nothing. I would have loved to have got some shipped back and must investigate this time. The fish market was the only thing that was a bit dissappointing and very expensive ! (maybe they just saw us coming). Everyone was really really helpful and exceptionally friendly. The girl in the conad vacum packed all my parmigiano and San Daniele ham when returning home. The bus service from there to Scicli was grand and one day we ventured to Modica. Scicil is a lovely city very very pretty. We took the bus one day from Modica to Noto and I think we may have been ripped off - we were charged EUR29 one way from Modica to Noto. For two adults and two kids. It was a very very long journey and everyone was sick afterwards... but we saw every village very well !!!!!

The only downside of the holiday was that because of high winds we were unable to land in Dublin and ended up in Edinburgh for the night with no transfer or no prearranged hotel (at 2am in the morning) - not ideal with four small children (one with Special needs !!!).

I have already booked next Easter in Donnalucata and on our return to Sicliy on 14th August we will for sure be visiting our friends there.

I can't thank Vagabonda enough for all her advice for sure once again she made the holiday by her recommendations.

8  Thank sbw123
Reviewed 7 July 2013

Very clean and quiet, beach with golden sand & rocks for exploring. A great town with ability to still find a park in Summer. Not as popular as Marina Rugusa, up the coast. Let the crowds remain there.

Reviewed 19 February 2013

How clean is this little town! Beautiful golden sandy beach, lots of restaurants and bars. Easy to walk around and the people are very friendly.

1  Thank italiangypsy
Reviewed 23 September 2012

This was a genuine fishing village not trying to sell itself to the tourists. Good cafes and a fish market if you wanted to buy fresh fish