“A lovely fun family holiday!”
Review of Club Med Kamarina

Club Med Kamarina
Ranked #15 of 37 Hotels in Ragusa
Reviewed 29 June 2014 via mobile

Remy the chief of this village & his performant GO's made our holiday a memorable one.The GO's like Gaja whose the queen of zumba,Patrizio the ceremony master with his charming smile & good humor,Natalie with whom I had lots fun doing crazy signs & bodypump,Max who always made us laugh,Andrea at reception,Bruno who patiently taught me & my family some techniques of how to use the bow & arrow,Charlotte who coached us on the tennis court and also Frederico who was our prolific guide to Syracuse & Noto.His amazing knowledge of Sicilly made our trip quite memorable to say the least.We were really surprized by the quality of their fresh Italian dishes.Had a feast.Will be back soon.Kamarina was a great family holiday with activities for old & young.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank skemer09

Reviewed 27 June 2014

We have taken 10 Club Med holidays over the years, so are familiar with the concept. Overall I recommend this village, however I have a few negative comments to make:
- we drove a hire car from Comiso airport; before arriving I called the Club and asked for driving directions to be emailed me. Reception staff refused to do this; eventually I contacted CLub Med in London and they emailed directions to me.
- The Club Med resort is not sign-posted at all, and is difficult to find (even with printed directions).
- On arrival at the gate at the appointed time 3pm, the girl in the guard hut asked for our voucher, and then left us waiting in the (very hot) car for 15 minutes while she checked- out our booking details
- our bungalow was very spacious, although quite shabby. We managed to move to a hotel room after a few days, as the toilet didnt work at all (yeuck).
- The hotel rooms are smaller and much nicer (more recently refurbished). I think they can accomodate a maximum of 3 people, so probably not suitable for families. A lot of older people staying there, nice ambiance. The hotel has its own small pool (very nice) and is very close to the smaller beach. I would recommend the hotel, as it is quieter, has a nice restaurant. It's not too far to walk to the central square where the bars, entertainment etc. are. It is quite a walk to the Kids club, tennis, main beach (sailing, kayaking etc).
-the resort is beautifully maintained, wonderful gardens and flowers everywhere. Most of the staff are trilingual (italian, french, english); not many anglophone guests.
- the food is usual Club Med buffet - very good. We found that almost all of the staff (kids club, sports, restaurant, hotel staff) were nice, with the exception of some main reception staff who were consistently surly.

Room Tip: hotel rooms recommended
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank dublin500
Reviewed 4 June 2014

Just returned from this Club Med resort. This was our first Club Med experience and I had mixed feelings when we booked. We actually had a really fantastic family holiday. The resort is fairly dated, especially the rooms which are basic and run down in places (eg the shower), however the whole place was exceptionally clean and the facilities are amazing - tennis, archery, sailing, circus, the list continues. The food was consistently good (we didn't have one bad meal) and the staff were all welcoming, polite, friendly and helpful. Finally the kids club was great. The staff were brilliant and both kids (5 and 7) loved both the attention they were given, the activities and the evening entertainment. Would definitely go again, even though the livelier group activities weren't really us! The only other thing to say is despite Club Med claiming to be 'international', the resort was very french. This didn't impact our holiday, if anything it added to it.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank 399KJW
Reviewed 4 June 2014

Stayed here in May half term and the resort was quiet, not sure how the facilities would cope in the summer months. Our family bungalow in the Villagio had 2 bedrooms and although fairly basic and dated was clean and adequate for our stay. The air conditioning was good, the rooms were cleaned daily and shampoo/shower gel etc is provided. The cobbles in the villagio, while make the village look more authentic are very noisy with the many golf buggies that are driving around and also hard to walk in heals or to push a buggy!

There are many french visitors to this Club Med, this was not a problem for us, all the staff however assume you are french before then speaking english! The staff were very friendly and always happy to help. The resort is massive and it does take a day or so to find everything. There are information boards with the times of all the activities in the village centre but we could have also done with this information in our room for when we arrived.

There are many activities on offer here: a massive swimming pool, sailing and kakaks on the beach, many tennis courts, zumba and other dance/exercise classes,circus skills,football,basketball etc etc These are all free. There are other activities such as scuba diving and quad bikes which you have to pay for. The weather can be windy here though so that does effect the beach activities and restricts the sailing to those who are experienced.

The food here is amazing. I'm not normally a fan of the buffet meal but this was something else and very tasty. The puddings are fantastic! We eat every lunchtime in the smaller Marino restaurant with sea views. It opens at 1pm- get there then or you may have to wait for a table. The pizza and pasta there was especially good.

My daughter (8) went to the kids club one day but didn't go back as it was mainly french children. The kids club however looked fantastic and had many activities to keep the little ones busy all day. The staff there work very hard!

Transfer from the airport is long, it takes 2 hours so be prepared for that!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 June 2014

Here is the letter I sent club med and still have yet to get a response from them after 28 days - so much for customer service:

Dear Sirs,

I am writing to express my disappointment with the quality of the holiday experience at Club Med. I have just returned from the Kamarina resort in Italy which has left me in no doubt that I will not book with Club Med again (which is a shame as I had a great experience in Martinique last year!). Here is some feedback that I wish to give you so that you can decide if you wish to address this with me:

1) Welcome at airport/resort. My wife and I were met at Catania airport by the rep and was sent to the resort by taxi. So far, so good. However, the Taxi driver got lost and eventually found the resort. We were dropped at the main entrance/top reception. No one was around with no method to contact any staff. After calling the main telephone number and getting no reply, someone eventually arrived at the reception 20 minutes later - this is absolutely terrible and not acceptable! We were driven via golf cart to the room and then taken to the main square for dinner.

2) Room/resort quality. The room was very basic and was in-fact very untidy and in very poor condition. The Shower tray was very stained, mould had taken hold in the tiles and the bathroom fittings were corodded (turning green - copper and not stainless steel used). To make matters worse, on the 5th day of our stay, parts of the concrete on the ceiling outside the entrance to the room collapsed dropping a fair amount of rubble - this could have hit us if we walking under it at the time. I have pictures of all of this if you would like to see them (let me know and I will send a link). I reported this to reception and the maintenance man came to inspect this 24 hours later!! If this had been in the UK, I’m sure health and safety would have had a 'field day'.

3) Staff Attitude. We found that most of the Italian staff were cheerful and helpful. However, the French staff were just awful. We had gone especially to this resort because it was a tennis destination. A French lady who took some of the tennis clinics was especially bad - she we would speak entirely in French and asked if we understood - when we said no, she just continued in French and ignored us. Her teaching method was very bad (We go on many Tennis based holidays, and this was by far the worst from a teaching perspective). Only Marco, the head coach, was a good teacher. He spent time explaining the technique and was the only highlight of our experience with Club Med staff. Other than that, we found that with all the bravado/superficial attitude, they just couldn’t be bothered!

4) Quality of Sports - Tennis. Out of the 20 plus courts at the resort, only 6 had anything near an acceptable surface to play on. Clay coverage was especially bad. If you are going to promote this venue as a Tennis ‘hot spot’, I suggest that you dramatically improve the quality of the courts.

Overall, I am really disappointed with the resort and even with it being ‘all inclusive’, I found this holiday to be very poor value.

Room Tip: Don't go there!
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
8  Thank Martin S
Reviewed 3 June 2014 via mobile

We had a great time in club med Kamarina. It was our first club med experience and probably not the last as it is great when you have kids.

The good
- excellent food, really impressed by the choice and sophistication
- lots of sports activities to choose from. Special thanks to Victor, Michele and Charlotte from the tennis club
- great and huge swimming pool
- kids entertainment
- all inclusive
- nice atmosphere generally thanks to the GOs, and friendly chef du village Remy

The not so good
- the rooms were quite basic, dated and a little bit damp. But this did not compromise our enjoyment of the holiday as we spent little time in the room.
- for three nights we had the company of 200 Erasmus Spanish students partying like crazy - not much club med can do I guess!
- bungalow cost of eur20 per hour!!!

All in all, a great holiday!

Stayed: May 2014
Reviewed 3 June 2014

We arrived quite late and were taken to the restaurant for a meal but then abandoned. The resort is huge so we struggled to find our room which at 11pm with two small children is not ideal. The room was TINY and although we were told it's an ajoining room it had one bathroom and the only entrance was through the children's room. There is balcony or outside area so we had to go to bed at the same time as our small children. The bathroom was so smelly and shabby and was full of coach roaches.
The pool was lovely and the kid's club was excellent. Most of the GOs were amazing.
I got food poisoning half way through the trip from eating the fish and so was in bed for two days. I told reception and they were completely disinterested, they didn't even ask which restaurant we had eaten in. Other than food poisoning, the food was outstanding.
Overall, I would pay a bit more and go to a different resort, this is tired and run-down and the rooms are of a very low standard and the lack of outside seating really affected our holiday experience. We paid £2,800 for a family of four for 7 nights and I don't think that was particularly good value for money.

Room Tip: Pay more for a larger room - it's worth it and don't buy into the 'adjoining room' c...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank victoria s s
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ragusa
Verdura Resort
Trigrana Vacanze Hotel
Trigrana Vacanze Hotel
#1 of 4 in Castelluzzo
Donnafugata Golf Resort & Spa

Been to Club Med Kamarina? Share your experiences!