“Very disappointing”

Belvedere Restaurant
Ranked #18 of 42 Restaurants in Ravello
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: Famed for its superb selection of fresh, local Mediterranean dishes, Belmond Hotel Caruso's Belvedere Restaurant offers diners an unforgettable experience. Chef Mimmo di Raffaele takes guests on a tantalising journey of discovery. Traditional Italian specialities inspire innovative dishes. Dine in the elegant indoor dining room, the atmospheric outdoor terrace, or in the al fresco area close to the pool, surrounded by ancient rose bushes.
Reviewed 30 August 2013 via mobile

Oh dear. The best hotel in town with a below par restaurant
Starter a couple of anchovies on a plate with such a small smear of sauce that it gave no flavour. Good ( not amazing) main.
Booked for 7.30, sat down at 8.15, service slow. There had been a thunder storm so they moved all the table off the terrace, but they also kept the doors shut, even post storm and the air con didn't work despite 3 times asking for it to be turned on. All around us ladies who clearly had been there before had fans and the poor staff were glowing with sweat.
It took ages for food to be served, not that great, very very expensive, not good value at all and zero atmosphere
Orient Express, sort it out!

3  Thank BarnsburyTraveller
FrancoGirasoli, Direttore at Belvedere Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 25 October 2013

Thank you very much for taking the time to review your experience at the Belvedere Restaurant.

We are deeply sorry that your visit was not indicative of the level of standard and service you have come to expect because of the catalogue of events which affected your experience. Please accept our apologies for the frustration and annoyance caused by the various issues, in particular the unsatisfactory service you encountered.

Regrettably, as per your comments, that evening we had suddenly move all the tables off the Terrace just a few minutes before the service because of a an imminent storm. This incident brought indeed some disruptions to the dinner service.

Our staff put all their efforts into ensuring the most enjoyable atmosphere as soon as possible and finally we managed to accommodate all the guests within the indoor Restaurant in a very short time.

In this sense I feel to disagree with your comments regarding the priority which, according to you, we have been given to other guests. In fact all the guests were treated the same by our staff.

Regarding the price of our dishes please consider that this reflect the very high quality of our ingredients and the consciousness in choosing the best ones as well as the Executive Chef’s expertise and artistry.

Also as per our menu we are offering a four course menu for the price of 87 euro plus VAT, which is very well at market level for a luxury hotel in the region.

Once again, please accept my apologies for what has happened. I do hope that my response has gone some way to restoring your faith in the Caruso and I look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back personally.

Reviewed 26 August 2013

My wife and I ate here last night and to say we were disappointed would be an understatement.

We booked for 7:45 and arrived on time but told our table would be ready at 8pm. No problem, we can have a drink in the lovely bar....but by 8.25 I had to go and find somebody to take us to a table as we had the impression we'd been forgotten. We arrived before other guests but were not seated in a table with a view, even though there were tables available and a couple who arrived after us, were.

My wife's starter was basically a collection of raw vegetables arranged artistically on the plate, and that cost something like €22.....as i wasn't having a starter, the staff provided me with a small sample plate of the same dish for free which I thought was a nice touch but to be honest I think we had both expected a little something better for that price.

My pasta dish was fine, although again €20 for what essentially a bowl of pasta a tomato was a bit steep.

My wife's main was €50, but was essentially just a large collection of various seafoods grilled with some vegatables and my dish at €34 was 3 small pieces of bacon wrapped rabbit loin and a garnish of some finely cut strips of carrot.

Not a huge deal but at one point my wife got up to pour our wine as our glasses had been empty for a while and the waiting staff had failed to notice.

In short.....there wasn't anything really very 'wrong' with any of the dishes but the prices lead you to believe that you're in for a fine dining experience and that's where you may be disappointed.

Belvedre....I would suggest that you either drop your prices or raise the quality of the dishes otherwise you may get many more disappointed guests who fall victim to the expectation vs reality.

For example.....our total bill was €279 (not a small amount by most people's standards) and yet, an amazing 3 course meal for two people at il flu to di pan at the Villa Cimbrone hotel (we went last year when we were here, we've been once already on this trip and plan to go again before we leave) was only €198 (still expensive....but much better than our experience at the Belvedre and a €80 cheaper).

2  Thank Dougler

We are extremely sorry you have found our service under your expectations. In fact it is our goal to provide the highest quality of service and hospitality and it is clear that your experience was not indicative of our usual high standards.

Our Restaurant Manager is always very careful to give to the guests the best table available and the only explanation for the long wait for your table was possibly due to the fact the right one was not becoming available within the time he was expecting.

Regarding the tables with the best view which, according to you, he gave to other guests instead of you, we can reassure that all the guests are always treated with the same care and attention by our staff.

When looking at the price of our dishes, you have found too expensive, not only the cost of the food itself should be taken in consideration but also the time spent in preparing them and the creativity of our Executive Chef, who personally oversees every single dish.

Our products are fresh from the market and the price for them reflect our conscientiousness in choosing the best ingredients.
To prepare the Spaghetti Ravello dish, five different varieties of local tomatoes are used making this dish the most popular of the entire menu.

Please also consider that we are offering a four course menu at the price of 87 euro plus VAT, which is very well at market level for a luxury hotel.

We really hope that this experience will not prevent your intention to visit us again in the future and I hope we have the opportunity to welcoming you soon again.

Reviewed 11 August 2013

The Caruso hotel is one of the top 2 hotels in Ravello and its restaurant, the Belvedere, was suggested to us as the place for lunch on our one day excursion from Positano, which is odd given that the restaurant was practically empty. The restaurant is not so much bad as it is mediocre. The menu is relatively simple, which is a good thing but the preparation leaves much to be desired; small portions, some ingredients seemed less than fresh etc . The wine list mark-ups also seemed more than any of the top restaurants we visited on the trip. Finally and bizarrely they have a per person cover charge or "coperto" as they refer to it, which is added to the bill, which is baffling for a restaurant which is very expensive and very empty, but that must be what corporate ownership does to you.

The vaunted view from the terrace is partially blocked by the hotel's main building. The bar area is on a small roofed terrace attached to the main building and is quite small and densely furnished with, again, limited views.

FrancoGirasoli, Direttore at Belvedere Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 17 August 2013

Dear guest,

thank you very much for taking the time to review your experience at the Belvedere Restaurant, which was quite empty on the day you came due to the fact that it was extremely hot and all the Hotel guests were at the Pool and at the Pool Snack Bar. I am under the impression that finding the Restaurant empty negatively affected your lunch experience.

No need to say I am sorry to hear that despite we strive to provide a consistently memorable experience to our guests, we fell short of your expectations.

The feedback we receive are very important to us and if negative they are one of the best tools to understand the issues to address.

Anyway, though service and food at the Hotel are usually very much appreciated I know food tastes are personal and I therefore do accept your input about food but please let me disagree with your comments regarding the freshness of the ingredients of our dishes because we only use high quality ingredients coming fresh every day from the market from highly controlled local suppliers.

As to the wines, I have brought your comments to the attention of the
Sommelier and probably offering 400 wine labels on our wine list there are some significant costs to manage. While as to the "coperto", a "cover charge" listed on the menu, kindly note it is a charge that you incur any time you go to any Restaurant and sit down at a table to order everywhere in Italy. It is charged per person and appears as a separate line item on the bill.

Finally, let me kindly disagree with your comments on the view ... the view that you get from the Belvedere Restaurant and the bar area is stunning and guests return each year also for this.

All the above said, I do hope that this experience has not permanently tarnished your opinion of us and that we will have the opportunity to welcome you again. Please feel free to contact me directly in case you come back to the Amalfi Coast.

Reviewed 23 July 2013

One of the best restaurants with the greatest view you can imagine. The quality of the food is superb, the sommelier is top notch. You pay for quality, but it is still cheaper than a good restaurant in NYC.

Reviewed 14 July 2013

very average food, appalling service, ridiculous price, nice view but you can get that anywhere in the Ravello area, there are much better places to go.

2  Thank Hol506
FrancoGirasoli, Direttore at Belvedere Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 24 July 2013

Dear guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review your experience. We are highly appreciative of feedback we receive from our guests as we consider it a way to constantly improve the service we offer and it helps us to continue to be one of the best hotels on the Amalfi coast.

I must say I am concerned by your input regarding the Belvedere Restaurant and though we are very respectful of all our guests' personal tastes, I must say that your review of the Restaurant is in marked contrast to others who dine with us. However, I have brought your comments to the attention of our team.

As to the price, I must stress the food pricing reflects the high quality of our dish ingredients, the Chef's expertise and artistry, the menu with a wide variety of seasonal dishes. It also reflects the skills of the talented sommelier pairing dishes with wines to enhance the dining experience, the Restaurant Manager's experience in upscale dining and the constantly trained staff as well as a whole series of inclusive services (complimentary shuttle bus to/from Amalfi and Positano); which adds to the dining experience.

No need to say my objective as a General Manager is to have my staff deliver the best care and services to meet guests' expectations. I kindly ask you to write to me directly and explain in detail the inconveniences you experienced since I would like your feedback to be further a topic conversation with my staff.

Regards,