“Over priced, not great customer service”

Belmond Hotel Caruso
Ranked #2 of 21 Hotels in Ravello
Reviewed 15 August 2012

I was very dissapointed with this hotel. My fiance an I were hoping to choose this hotel as our venue for our wedding. Customer service was poor, and almost felt like the staff were too stuffy! I didnt feel comfortable there. The price was extorsionate for the service and was very dissapointed. the location is very good, but the hotel service is a huge let down. I wouldnt recommend this hotel. Even the suite we had (the best in hotel) was basic and very dated.

4  Thank rachael b

Reviewed 13 August 2012

Hotel Caruso doesn't need another good review, but I had such an amazing experience that I can't help myself. I was debating staying at the Caruso or Sasso, and not being able to decide, I ended up staying at both. I loved the Sasso but Caruso really is in a class of its own, a once in a lifetime experience. On their busiest weekend of the summer (the ravello festival sunrise concert--highly recommended), they upgraded us to an amazing suite with a beautiful balcony, and surprised us with free champagne and rose petals for our honeymoon. As everyone has said, the pool is amazing, but so are the gardens, in which they have a cabana for private but open air couples massages. The interior decoration is amazing; its still classic Italian but has modern touches (like a comfortable bed, which is difficult to find in even five star hotels on the amalfi coast!)

The overall atmosphere is quiet, but not boring; refined, but not snooty; polite, but warm. This place redefines what it means to be classy, and is the perfect honeymoon spot. I'll never forget our stay there and I can't wait to go back!

Reviewed 8 August 2012

This is the best hotel experience I have ever had !
Professionally run hotel that's focus is all about the guest, a marked difference from what we received in Paris.
Attentive staff,superlative view and awesome food !, we will be back for more

2  Thank Aidan H
Reviewed 2 August 2012

Recently returned from my first visit to Ravello. So glad I stayed at the Caruso. The hotel is perfectly situated, with tremendous views of the sea below. We had a very large room, complete with our own private yard, easily 600 sq. feet, complete with table, chairs, and 2 loungers. The infinity pool is amazing, allowing you to enjoy the most incredible unobstructed view of miles of the Amalfi Coast. We enjoyed a fantastic meal at the hotel's main restaurant that should not be missed. The service was impeccable, especially Gennaro, who was able to contact an art gallery on our behalf once we had returned home. Yes it's quite expensive to stay here, but they treat you like royalty and you feel that your money has been well-spent and that the hotel staff and management appreciates all their guests.

Room Tip: The sea view is worth the money
1  Thank KEN M
Reviewed 28 July 2012

If you’re considering a stay at this fabulous hotel then you must already know about the pleasures Ravello offers among the Amalfi coast’s towns. It is peaceful, utterly beautiful, graced with a serious summer music festival and is so high in the sky that even its side streets have postcard-perfect views. The Caruso takes this to a high pitch, at a high price, and surrounds you with the most tasteful and convincing renovation I have ever seen among high-end hotels. Among its many pleasures is the pool scene, where you really could spend the rest of your life sipping Bellinis while swallows play aerial tag not three meters from your drink; the experience is timeless, relaxing and utterly romantic. The breakfast buffet is sybaritic and provides enough pleasure (and calories) to last through dinner if not the whole week. In fact, any meal eaten on one of the hotel’s dining terraces becomes a sublime experience. That having been said, my wife and I found the dining and wait-staff the least hospitable among very well trained service professionals. For example, they seated three American couples at closely-spaced, adjacent tables at dinner even though every other table was empty. I know we eat early as a nation but this doesn’t mean we want to hear each others’ conversation! This also occurred at breakfast. Further, and in keeping with other comments on this site, I found the hotel’s food fussy and not especially enjoyable. One dish on the tasting menu, rabbit meatballs, was inedible. We actually had our most memorable night eating in a family-owned, local place called Campo Cosmo, recommended by the concierge. We met two other couples, attended a Pink Martini concert, and were invited for drinks at the Hotel Palumbo, which shares the same scenic street with Caruso and Pallazo Avino (Sasso). We feel that either of these properties would provide a similar experience minus Caruso’s inimitable pool. Finally, as for which room to choose, I have attached a floor plan or two to give you an idea of what’s available. Most appear to be “Deluxe Doubles” which, in our case, number 37, was ample if simply furnished with a delightful terrace. Be warned that if you splurge for a larger room or suite with grassy terrace (my dachshund would have loved it) you may be disappointed by a lack of privacy as the rooms are set back and overlook each other; see the pics for a look at what I mean. All told however this is one of the best of the best and provides a seamless, memorable gateway to Ravello and the Sorentine peninsula should you want to get coastal. PS—we loved hiking on Capri but were shut out of Mama Agata’s. Book early if you really want to go.

Room Tip: See the attached floor plans to give you an idea of the rooms' relative size. Suites with grassy...
3  Thank NiceNYer
Reviewed 23 July 2012

We stayed at the Caruso for three days. After touring Amalfi and Ravello, coming back to the gardens and pool at the Caruso provided the perfect afternoon in July. The pool view is one of the best I have seen. The service was freindly, the rooms were great and the view from the breakfast area was wonderful. I can't wait to go back.

Reviewed 23 July 2012

We spent three nights here with a group of friends. Hotel staff were faultless, nothing was too much trouble and everything done with a smile. Can't pick anyone out individually as all staff were fantastic. Room spotless, lovely bathroom toiletries. Ravello town centre just down the road and great atmosphere there. Hired a boat from Amalfi to Positano and beyond, great day out. Belvedere restaurant delightful, food exquisite and views amazing. Will definitely be back.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank judybatch
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ravello
Hotel Palumbo Palazzo Confalone
#1 of 5 in Conca dei Marini
Le Sirenuse Hotel
Le Sirenuse Hotel
#7 of 38 in Positano

Been to Belmond Hotel Caruso? Share your experiences!