“Divine, one of the best hotels in the world (if not the best)”

Belmond Hotel Caruso
Ranked #2 of 21 Hotels in Ravello
Reviewed 23 April 2014

Overall one of the best hotels we have ever been (we have been travelling widely around the world staying at many 5 star L hotels such as Ritz Paris, Splendido in Portofino, Cap Juluca in Anguilla etc...), if not the best.

Building: like living in a XI century aristocratic palace on the top of a panoramic hill: on one side rock mountains changing colour with the lights of the day, on the other side the (unbelievably beautiful) coast. The hotel has huge gardens wonderfully maintained spreading on a number of terraces always with a sea view to die for.

Rooms: We have had a wonderful upgrade (even if was our first visit at the Caruso). Huge, wonderful sea view from any part of the room, beautiful terrace (probably on of the best view I have ever had). The luxury here lies in the fine details: fresh flowers, antique fornitures, Frette linen sheets, cleaning and setting of the room to almost royal standards, heated floor tiled with hand made italian ceramic, huge marble bathroom with tons of towels changed many times per dayand huge size amenities (Penhaligon's and Bulgari) , super stocked bar and wonderful video/audio devices.

Service: here we speak of royal standards comparable, according to my experience, only to those of the Ritz Paris and probably of Splendido in Portofino (though I would say Caruso is better). I mean you are pampered in any conceivable way, still idiscrete way. Like one night we hadn't had dinner at the restaurant and ordered room service (at 10.30 pm); they told us 20 min waiting time. After 19 minutes (I am not joking) they were ready in front of our room with the food, our table was prepared like in a five star restaurant with Christofle cutlery and elegant cloth. The food was superb: I mean (I am Italian) pasta was cooked perfectly and the tuna was delicious. You are pampered everywhere in the hotel and wherever you enter you find smiling faces welcoming you and offering their help. At the conierge they are always ready to help you in a super-professional, though warm, way assisting you with excursions (they are great in giving tips and suggestions), reservations etc...Again probably the best concierge service I have ever experienced. In addition the hotel offers a free excursion around the coast by Ercole boat.

Food: wonderful, Michelin rated quality at restaurants. Tables set up and service to the highest standards, again though with a typical mediterranean warm and friendly touch. Absolutely to try: Pool restaurant. I mean, the infinity pool is just amazing setlled among middle age ruins...having lunch there suspended between sea and sky is an experience. We had wonderful pizza and fish frying which were just delicious and beatifully presented and impeccably served. Again you had the feeling to be like in a private exclusive yacht club. Breakfast menu (which you can have elegantly served in your room or terrace) is just wonderful and you can choose a variety of freshly (really) prepared delicious plates presented
in an impeccable way.

Drinks: I mean if I had to choose this woull be my favourite thing about the hotel. The cocktail bar is elegant and with a sea view to die for with live music every evening. The barmen are the best (really) I have ever met, I mean they are just worth the visit at the hotel. The quality of the cocktails is DIVINE (comparable only to the Hemingway bar at Ritz Paris), but what really is unbelieavable is the way they are presented and served. The barmen are incredibly smart, nice, knowledgable and they always find the the best cocktail for you (after speaking with you for a couple of minutes)..please follow their suggestions! The cocktail list is just crazily rich and you have like two pages full of types of Vodka to choose for your cocktail.

I came back from Ravello two days ago and I am still planning my next visit to the Caruso. As I said this is a real (not like many american hotels I have been at!) five star luxury (six star they would say in the middle east) hotel with a personal though impeccable service: you have all the time the feeling of being in a private aristocratic residence, seuspended between sky and sea. This of course comes with a price; but I think that the price/quality ratio is good since the quality, for the reasons above, is exceptionally high. Something to try absolutely once in a lifetime (or more if you can afford it). Perfect for special events and to live unforgettable moments with your relevant one with always a perfect feeling of privacy (the hotel is so well structured that sometimes you wander where are other guest; keep in mind that the hotel is regularly visited by cinema stars like Brad and Angiolina and by multi billionaires like Abramovič)

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Diego S
FrancoGirasoli, Direttore at Belmond Hotel Caruso, responded to this reviewResponded 30 April 2014

Dear Sir,

Thank you very much for taking your precious time to write a review on TripAdvisor.
Your incredible words are a strong incentive to continue offering the highest level of quality to our valued guests and your recognition makes us so proud to be ambassadors of the excellence of the Belmond Hotels around the world.

Thank you again and I hope to see you soon the Belmond Hotel Caruso.

There are newer reviews for Belmond Hotel Caruso

Reviewed 19 November 2013

We visited this property the first week of October and still wish we had stayed longer.Upon entering we were greeted with the scent of fresh star gazer lilies, which happen to be our favorite. The staff from doorman to manager to room attendants were beyond excellent and ready to please at a moments notice. Now to the restaurant.....The manager Giovanni Frusciante, what an absolute gem, nothing was out of reach for him. his whole day revolved around pleasing guests. We were able to get him to join us after dinner and he returned the favor by singing a few songs for the guests in the piano room.. Please see the hotel advertisements on the web and you can get a glimpse of his personality.. The food was excellent and the staff was unforgettable. highly recommend this hotel as one of the best in Italy. John and Martha Moore

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank seandsky
Reviewed 16 November 2013

We stayed at this beautiful amalfi coast hotel for 5 great nights in September.

We had a wonderful room with a roof terrace which was amazing. The weather was great in September. The swimming pool is an amazing infinity pool with an amazing view. The food from breakfast, lunch and dinner was always great. The service was always faultless and the staff always remembered what we liked so the personal touch was certainly evident.

The only shame for our trip was that due to the time of the year the wasps were around when anyone was eating and a few people myself included were a bit jumpy. The hotel staff did their best to limit the wasps which was good.

The surrounding area is beautiful and the village of Ravello is well worth exploring and some interesting authentic Italian restaurants to sample. The hotel also lays on a complementary boat trip along the Amalfi coast which must be tried.

If you are looking for a luxury hotel in this part f Italy this hotel and the village of Ravello can't be beaten.

Room Tip: Fantastic room 301
1  Thank simonpope2
Reviewed 5 November 2013

We have stayed in a number of Orient-Express Hotels around the world and we have now found the very best. We stayed for a week and were given what seemed to be a whole villa for our stay! It even had a second lounge/TV room/Office area overlooking the Bay of Salerno. The entire experience was luxurious - the bath even had a head rest and the perfumed Bulgari bath salts were an added touch! Breakfast overlooking the sea with the sun shining in was very special and dinner equally so. We danced in the piano bar to our favourite songs after dinner. Giovanni and the restaurant staff were outstanding. Their attention, knowledge and suggestions were unparalleled. Once again, service to each of the staff members in this hotel truly comes from the heart. Then .... there's the endless swimming pool, which is someting you usually only dream about. The view is extraordinary, it's heated and spotlessly clean. Have lunch at the pool-side restaurant and let Daniel treat you to the best pizzza you've ever tasted or a fantastic pasta. We want to be back there right now, but may have to wait until next year! The hotel offers free shuttles to Amalfi and Positano and also boat trips along the coast. Make sure you avail yourself of these, as its safer to have their driver negotiate the roads than to try and do it yourself. Take in a piano concert at the Villa Rufolo while you're in Ravello. While we were there, there was a wedding taking place almost every day, which just shows how romantic and special the hotel is. It may seem to be expensive, but it is well worth every Euro, Dollar, or Pound!

Room Tip: Ask for Room 52!
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Houlihan2
Reviewed 24 October 2013

Had a 4 night stay, but with an early inbound and late outbound flight we got almost 5 full days. Superior double room very comfortable with terrace of almost same size overlooking valley. Breakfast on restaurant terrace overlooking coast, food and view brilliant. If you're on a budget don't eat at hotel, but as a 5 star L you have to expect prices to be on the steep side! Infinity pool with views down the coast was great. Very peaceful, main sound was a braying donkey every so often across the valley. Complimentary shuttle to Amalfi and Positano, plus complimentary 2 hour boat trip, which for us were good as the only people using them. Only minor niggle was not being picked up by one of the shuttles so waiting around for another hour. Slightly delayed apology, but a small token of say complimentary drink would have been nice.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
FrancoGirasoli, Direttore at Belmond Hotel Caruso, responded to this reviewResponded 5 November 2013

Dear Guest,

thank you for your kind feedback. We really appreciate
​the time ​you invested ​to put together such a detailed review and we will pass your comments to all our staff.

Regarding your concerns about the shuttle delay, we apologi​s​e for any inconvenience caused. Corrective actions have been taken to avoid any further possible recurrence and please consider this a one off experience as this doesn't reflect the usual high standards we maintain at Hotel Caruso​.

I am personally ​looking forward to the opportunity of welcoming you
​back ​to ​restore your faith in the high service level
​we offer at our hotel.

​With my kindest regards

Reviewed 23 October 2013

Beware with your car in Hotel Caruso!!!

I went to Amalfy Coast this September, got a great hotel in Positano, but, since I heard very good things about Ravello, I made a reservation to have lunch in Caruso Hotel, with is supposed to be one of the bests in Amalfy coast. BUT IT'S NOT

The lunch was just ok, nothing different from a simple village restaurant you go in the village, but they charge you very expensive prices, I paid 168 euros for simple lunch for 2.

But the very serious thing that happen and I feel the obligation to alert visitors is that when I finished the lunch, I came down to the reception to get my Mercedes S Class when I CAUGHT THE VALET OF THE HOTEL USING MY CAR TO TRANSPORT OTHER GUESTS AND THEIR LUGGAGE!!! I left the car with the hotel valet and they used it as a hotel shuttle!!!

I alert the hotel reception immediately, they apologize and before I could get to my hotel in Positano, they called the front desk apologizing and warning that they would reimburse the cost of lunch in my credit card, which was never done, it was just a lie to prevent people from my hotel to know what they do with their guests car!

Beware of your car at the Hotel Caruso!!

28  Thank Marcos S
FrancoGirasoli, Direttore at Belmond Hotel Caruso, responded to this reviewResponded 25 October 2013

Dear sir, I have been made aware of the inexcusable incident caused by our valet when you returned back from lunch at Hotel Caruso. Our restaurant has always been recognised for its excellent cuisine and service so I am under the impression that your experience was spoiled by the previous mentioned inconvenience of which I apologise again. I would be happy to discuss this matter with you personally so that we can restore your faith in Hotel Caruso.

Please be so kind to contact me at fgirasoli@hotelcaruso.net at your earliest convenience.

Yours faithfully,

Reviewed 22 October 2013

About a year ago we came to Amalfi coast hoping to find a place where we would like to get married !
Since the moment we stepped into Hotel Caruso we fell in love with it
Hotel owned by Orient Express Group it's definitely a gem among other 5 Star Luxury hotels on the coast.
You will find hotel staff -helpful , friendly and genuine in everything they do.
We randomly stepped into the hotel and were granted a tour with absolutely lovely Miss Tiziana Laterza.
She was kind enough to show us around, and talk to us about the possible dates, menu options on the very same day even though we haven't booked a tour of property ( this was mandatory everywhere else on coast ).
From this first meeting we knew we cannot possibly find better place for this special occasion.
When one thinks of Amalfi coast one imagines Amazing views, beautiful gardens, blue water , green mountains but to organize the wedding there one will need right people to help you make it happen.
I haven't hired a wedding planner as I wanted to be in control of every detail and I found - in team at Hotel Caruso led by Miss Tiziana - not only partners but also great friends . Tiziana and Donatella where there for me along the way, patiently dealing with my strange requests, last minute changes and wedding day emergencies.
We spent our wedding weekend in lovely suite with an stunning view. We got married in beautiful Wagner Garden under olive trees, we dance to our favorite songs by amazing infinity pool.
There are quite a few luxuries properties on Amalfi coast - and while we were looking for the wedding venue I got to visit them all. But if I could say there is definitely one - and for me -the most important thing that distinguishes Hotel Caruso from the others- it would be amazing HOTEL STAFF.
They are really, really great. And it seems to me their truly understand the meaning of a word hospitality.
Big, big thank you to Tiziana, Donatella, Baldo and everyone else who made this special for us day - truly amazing !

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ravello
Palazzo Avino
Ravello Art Hotel Marmorata, BW Premier Collection
Le Sirenuse Hotel
Le Sirenuse Hotel
#6 of 38 in Positano

Been to Belmond Hotel Caruso? Share your experiences!