“Restaurant disappointing”

Belmond Hotel Caruso
Ranked #1 of 21 Hotels in Ravello
Reviewed 24 May 2010

We didn't actually stay at the hotel, but had a meal in their restaurant. Having stayed at other Small Leading Hotels/Orient Express hotels, we assumed this would be of a similar standard. It isn't. We also went to the bar before our meal. The staff are arrogant and not particularly helpful. The service is very slow and the food is nothing special. We paid around £250 for a meal for 2. They even add a "cover charge" of EUR6 per head to the bill, which I find astonishing given the price of the meals to start with. We also ate at Rossellinis next door on another evening. For roughly the same price (possibly slightly less), that restaurant has 2 Michelin stars, the food is of much higher quality and the staff are brilliant. The staff at Caruso kept telling us how wonderful their swimming pool was - this may well be true (we didn't see it) but I expect a lot more from a hotel than just a good swimming pool. We stayed at the Palazzo Sasso next door, and I'm glad we did - much friendlier and less stuffy, but still a 5 star luxury hotel.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank VickyPeterborough
Orient-Express_Italy, General Manager at Belmond Hotel Caruso, responded to this reviewResponded 28 May 2010

Dear Sir/Madame,

Let me introduce myself; my name is Franco Girasoli and I am currently
the General Manager of the Hotel Caruso

As you have reported to, I am very sorry to learn that your experience
at our "Caruso" Restaurant did not completely meet your expectations.

I carefully read your comments about the staff, the service and the
food and I thank you very much for having shared your impressions
with us, as either positive or negative they are, the guests' feedback
are a constant spur to improve our service.

As a matter of fact, we aim at spoiling our guests with an incredible
360° view over the sea , the warm and elegant atmosphere , the
friendly and professional service combined with our tasty,
traditional cuisine, for which we receive very positive feedbacks;
therefore I am really surprised and extremely sorry if we did not
meet what your expectations were.

If you would be so kind to send me a copy of your bill to my e-mail
address, I would be glad to personally investigate on the matter and
get then back to you.

Please accept once again my sincere apologies and I really hope to
welcome you again , as my personal guest , to let you experience a
faultless visit.

Franco Girasoli

Reviewed 22 May 2010

We spent two nights at this jewel of hotel from the Orient Express chain. A beautifully appointed room with a balcony and a luxurious walk in wardrobe with bathroom in flawless marble. The attention to detail is so visible, for instance, toiletries from Penhaligon's, the best breakfast possibly in the world if you consider location and buffet with superb service. We enjoyed listening to Mimo on the the piano at the piano bar every evening followed by very delicious dinners served up by restaurant manager Giovanni and his team that included Danilo & Tomasso besides others. Their poolside pizzeria is so charming, baking fresh pizzas in a brick oven overlooking the spectacular belvedere pool, in my opinion the best you will ever swim in! The hotel has been painstakingly done up and looked after and is a stone's throw from the town center. Go to the Caruso for an experience of a lifetime!

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 May 2010

What a lovely hotel! I was a pleasure to stay in this establishment. The location is wonderful, the grounds are incredible, the pool is magnificent, the room (ours had a very large terrace/garden overlooking the sea) was marvelous, the breakfast was expansive, the staff incredibly helpful and friendly, etc., etc. I would not consider staying anywhere else in Ravello - it is sheer perfection. Bravo to the owners and management for creating this gem.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 May 2010

Just returned from 3 wonderful nights in Ravello at the Hotel Caruso. From the minute we arrived nothing was too much trouble. my only minor complaint was the fact that my room didn't have a bath, a wonderful shower though. I mentioned this to the staff and they said they could move me the next day into another room with a great view but as it turned out I decided to stay put! Ravello is a lovely spot with stunning views and lots of places to visit. We did Villa Cimbrone, Villa Ruffolo, Positano, Amalfi. Hotel provides complimentary shuttle bus to Amalfi & Positano which we used - wouldn't like to do it too often on such twisty roads but wonderful views & boat ride to Positano excellent to get views from another angle.
The bar was fantastic, try the rossini (prosecco & strawberries), breakfast on the terrace was sublime... all in all a wonderful stay. Didn't try out the infinity pool as wasn't quite hot enough but it looked divine.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank kentishlass6
Reviewed 13 April 2010

I was extraordinarily happy with the physical beauty of the Hotel and surrounding area. Although the long, winding journey to get to the hotel is not the most pleasurable of experiences. I made the mistake of boarding here for a whole week, I can promise you that we were the only family there for longer than 3 days!!

So by all means experience the serenity, of the area/hotel, but by if you extend your stay beyond 3 days you will be bored senseless!

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 February 2010

I have been to a lot of places all over the world and this was the best. Our room was beyond comfortable and the view from our balcony was wonderful. The food was terrific and the service was good. I would go back a hundred times if able.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 December 2009

Hotel Caruso is the finest hotel I have every been lucky enough to stay at. The staff was very nice and prompt. The rooms were incredible. The views of the Amalfi coast are amazing. Can't wait to go back!

Stayed: May 2007, travelled as a couple
1  Thank cindylake
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ravello
Hotel Palumbo Palazzo Confalone
#7 of 38 in Positano
Il San Pietro di Positano
Il San Pietro di Positano
#1 of 38 in Positano

Been to Belmond Hotel Caruso? Share your experiences!