“Top notch hotel - 5 stars”

Belmond Hotel Caruso
Ranked #3 of 21 Hotels in Ravello
San Francisco, California
“Top notch hotel - 5 stars”
Reviewed 4 July 2010

This hotel is wonderful all around. From the location and the public space to the rooms, everything was top notch. Our room was a beautiful, spacious one bedroom suite with a terrace overlooking a breathtaking view. The service was extremely helpful and professional. We had the opposite experience with restaurants to one of the reviews below -- we felt the food and service at the hotel restaurant were great, and were disappointed at Rossellini's. The hotel dining room was extremely accommodating, professional, and what a terrace!

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank foodie0075

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (130)
london
Reviewed 16 June 2010

I have just come back from a 7 night stay at the Caruso Hotel. It is the most I have ever spent on a hotel and I thought it was worth every penny. The staff were so lovely. Really friendly and helpful and not at all pretentious. It is the most beautiful hotel I have ever been in the the world and most people just walk around with this weird grin on their faces. The views are so wonderful and the food and drink were perfect. The staff were so attentive I was not allowed to do anything for my self (which is a bit tough now I am home!). One morning room service forgot my grapefruit. When I rang to enquire, they immediately sent 3 up! My only small problem was with mobile phones, which the staff didn't stop people using. I had to ask an American chap to stop after making 5 calls in 10 mins at lunch and I got a rather aggressive response where I was called "typical English! I suggest you just ask the staff to stop anyone who is annoying you with a mobile. I would thoroughly recommend this place and I am now saving to go back. I loved it so much. I would recommend the hotel improves its IT a little as no-one uses CDs any more! It didn't bother me, but my husband was a little put out!

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
San Diego, California
Reviewed 8 June 2010

I was just married about two weeks ago at Hotel Caruso. I must say that I was skeptical at first because of some previous reviews, but this hotel does NOT disappoint. From the lovely Tiziana who helped coordinate our wedding to the lovely General Manager, to the incredible lady who served us our garden side meal for our beautiful intimate wedding....every detail was tended to. The staff anticipates your every move and its quite fantastic. I've only experienced service like this at the Mandarin Oriental in Bangkok. The General Manager graciously upgraded my wife and I to a beautiful suite for our beautiful day and it was incredible.

The spa is out of this world and the pool has a view that is priceless. My ONLY negative comment would be the pricing of food/drinks at this hotel. But, noone forced my arm to stay there and I would gladly do it all over again for the amazing experience they provided.

Do NOT miss out on Ravello. It is a very special place.

Thanks Caruso!

2 Thank pposte
Sydney
Reviewed 7 June 2010

My partner and I stayed here for 2 nights and absolutely loved it. We have done a lot of travelling to nice hotels and this was definitely one of the best we have ever stayed in. The hotel was delightful - absolutely charming and the grounds were breathtaking. The room was excellent, very comfortable beds, big bathtubs, Bulgari toiletries, wireless internet and one of the few hotels in Italy where we had tea and coffee making facilities in the room. The gardens around the hotel were stunning and the whole setting of the hotel was breathtaking. Would definitely recommend lunch by the pool and dinner in the hotel restaurant - definitely our best meal in Italy. The gym was also fantastic.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ozgirl87
yorkshire
Reviewed 1 June 2010

Stayed here for a special birthday celebration.The hotel was amazing,the location perfect with breath taking views.The staff couldn't help you enough,the breakfast and service you couldn't fault.The infinity pool was 28 degrees and the views from it are stunning.The hotel and staff made our trip one we will never forget.

1 Thank leeds29
Peterborough
Reviewed 24 May 2010

We didn't actually stay at the hotel, but had a meal in their restaurant. Having stayed at other Small Leading Hotels/Orient Express hotels, we assumed this would be of a similar standard. It isn't. We also went to the bar before our meal. The staff are arrogant and not particularly helpful. The service is very slow and the food is nothing special. We paid around £250 for a meal for 2. They even add a "cover charge" of EUR6 per head to the bill, which I find astonishing given the price of the meals to start with. We also ate at Rossellinis next door on another evening. For roughly the same price (possibly slightly less), that restaurant has 2 Michelin stars, the food is of much higher quality and the staff are brilliant. The staff at Caruso kept telling us how wonderful their swimming pool was - this may well be true (we didn't see it) but I expect a lot more from a hotel than just a good swimming pool. We stayed at the Palazzo Sasso next door, and I'm glad we did - much friendlier and less stuffy, but still a 5 star luxury hotel.

3 Thank VickyPeterborough
Orient-Express_Italy, General Manager at Belmond Hotel Caruso, responded to this review, 28 May 2010
Dear Sir/Madame,

Let me introduce myself; my name is Franco Girasoli and I am currently
the General Manager of the Hotel Caruso

As you have reported to, I am very sorry to learn that your experience
at our "Caruso" Restaurant did not completely meet your expectations.

I carefully read your comments about the staff, the service and the
food and I thank you very much for having shared your impressions
with us, as either positive or negative they are, the guests' feedback
are a constant spur to improve our service.

As a matter of fact, we aim at spoiling our guests with an incredible
360° view over the sea , the warm and elegant atmosphere , the
friendly and professional service combined with our tasty,
traditional cuisine, for which we receive very positive feedbacks;
therefore I am really surprised and extremely sorry if we did not
meet what your expectations were.

If you would be so kind to send me a copy of your bill to my e-mail
address, I would be glad to personally investigate on the matter and
get then back to you.

Please accept once again my sincere apologies and I really hope to
welcome you again , as my personal guest , to let you experience a
faultless visit.

Franco Girasoli
India
Reviewed 22 May 2010

We spent two nights at this jewel of hotel from the Orient Express chain. A beautifully appointed room with a balcony and a luxurious walk in wardrobe with bathroom in flawless marble. The attention to detail is so visible, for instance, toiletries from Penhaligon's, the best breakfast possibly in the world if you consider location and buffet with superb service. We enjoyed listening to Mimo on the the piano at the piano bar every evening followed by very delicious dinners served up by restaurant manager Giovanni and his team that included Danilo & Tomasso besides others. Their poolside pizzeria is so charming, baking fresh pizzas in a brick oven overlooking the spectacular belvedere pool, in my opinion the best you will ever swim in! The hotel has been painstakingly done up and looked after and is a stone's throw from the town center. Go to the Caruso for an experience of a lifetime!

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ravello
Palazzo Avino
NH Collection Grand Hotel Convento di Amalfi
Le Sirenuse Hotel
Le Sirenuse Hotel
#5 of 39 in Positano

Been to Belmond Hotel Caruso? Share your experiences!