“very good hotel with sublime view”

Graal Hotel Ravello
Ranked #15 of 21 Hotels in Ravello
Oregon
“very good hotel with sublime view”
Reviewed 3 September 2009

Stayed two nights in early June with wife and adult daughter in a junior suite - large room with a comfortable queen bed and a twin day bed thing that was comfortable for sitting and my daughter said was excellent for sleeping. I would describe ithe hotel as "funky" rather than "tired." The photo from our 3 week italian trip that draws the most comments is one taken looking down the Grall's sinterior piral staircase - quite beautiful, intriguing design. Our daughter took a dozen photos of the chair in out room (I wouldn't have but she's an art history major). The shower had a waterfall feature that I loved and a multi-facet jet spray feature that none of us liked at all - both optional. The breakfast was excellent with a large choice of various meats, breads, cereals, yogurt, pastries etc with good service.
It was chilly with some rain and, perhaps because of that, the pool wasn't opened. The noise from the nearby construction was bothersome - noticed it when I dropped by for ten minutes one afternoon to grab my rain coat. One would not be able to take an afternoon nap in your room without earplugs. We wandered Ravello from before the construction started util after it ended when we were there and weren't bothered by it.
I thought the E351 per night with parking was a bit steep and I only booked it because Ravello was a last minute addition to itinerary. However, the view from the room's balcony was worth the price.
As noted in earlier reviews, driving on the coast or on the peninsula is insane and driving to Ravello over the mountains rather than up or (worse yet) down the coast is the way to go. Also, get the extra insurance coverage on your car rental as the liklihood of crunching a fender is high, I did ($50 extra saved $650 in damage repair.)
Don't miss the almost thousand-year-old mosaic of Johah and the whale on the pulpit in the church on the square. Weddings and honeymoons seem to be the backbone of Ravello's economy.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank OregonPerkins

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
  • Greek first
Palm Be3ach Gardens, FL
Reviewed 28 August 2009

My husband and I just got back from 2 weeks in Italy. The first week we spent at the Graal Hotel in Ravello. The view from our private balcony was breathtaking. The pool also overlooked the bay. We decided to have dinner there and we were treated like royalty with extraordinary food, wine, table decor and service. We also had a chance to go to 2 concerts at the Ravello Festival. I will never never forget this place. I am alrfeady trying to figure out when we can return. Bella!

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
New York
Reviewed 15 July 2009

I was in Ravello for a wedding in August of 2008. I reserved a room at the Graal on Jan 15, 2008 for Aug 7-10 because the main hotel for the wedding was full. Luckily Ravello is a small town and all the hotels are within a very short walk to the town square. On May 5, 2008 a room opened up at the Giordano (where the rest of the wedding was staying) so I rsvp'd that room and contacted the Graal to cancel my rsvp. They canceled it but charged me 30% of the total which was 270 Euros! I found this to be shameful as my cancellation was over 3 months notice!!! They claimed they would refund the 30% if they re-sold the room but to no surprise they claimed it was not re-sold when I stopped by when I was in Ravello. Strangely, my co-worker did the exact same thing as I did but for some reason they let him cancel with no charge but refused to refund me even after months of contention. Also, I found that other hotels in Ravello had very liberal cancellation policies (like most USA hotels). So overall, while the Graal had a spectacular view, I would not rsvp there unless you are 100% sure you will not make any changes to your itinerary.

It turns out their policy is as follows so you can see for yourself if it is reasonable.

- Up to march 31st or more cancellation notice- no charge

- April 01st –90 days cancellation notice – 30% charge

- 89 -30 days cancellation notice – 60% charge

- Under 30 nights cancellation notice – For any shortening in length of stay (late arrival and early departure) and no no-show will be required payment of total number of nights reserved..

• Stayed August 2008
Solihull
Reviewed 8 July 2009

I visited the Hotel Graal in Ravello for a wedding I was attending in May this year.

I can only say that the whole experience from start to finish was magical! There were a group of us staying at the Graal for the wedding and I know their thoughts and experiences were exactly the same as mine.

The views from the rooms were absolutely breathtaking, the staff were wonderful; warm, friendly, helpful and could not do enough for you.

Breakfast, which was included in the price, was excellent. The restaurant too was extrememly good with desserts to die for!

Ravello is an amazingly wonderful place, the Square is beautiful, relaxing, full of colour and just so lovely to sit with a glass of wine and watch the world go by.

I was surprised to read there had been complaints regarding the construction work nearby. This in no way whatsoever had any effect on my stay at all!

I and some of my friends are returning next May and if possible this September too.

My only regret is that i didn't stay longer!

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with friends
London
Reviewed 30 June 2009

The Hotel Graal provided us and our wedding guests a truly wonderful stay.

The Hotel Graal turned our wedding day into our dream wedding. The planning of our wedding reception was simple and completely stress free. I cannot thank all the staff at the hotel enough. Ravello is truly the most beautiful place in the world, and The Graal hotel is the most gorgeous hotel with amazing views- the perfect hotel to have your wedding reception in.

We had our wedding toast at the hotel pool, it included the most delicious canapes and champagne coctails. We then had our reception at the hotels resturant 'Al Ristoro del Moro'. The cuisine was truly stunning and the service throughout our eight day stay was excellent.

The icing on the cake, was our wedding cake! Which was made in the hotel kitchen, it was truly a master piece, the most beautiful cake that I and my guests have ever seen. (Many of my guests are still talking about it!)

The front desk staff were superb. Every time we walked through the lobby we were greeted by name. They were always offering all my guests assistance in anything.

Our room was excellent in size, clean and fresh decor. All my guests had the most amazing views from their balconys.

We were totally overwhelmed by the beauty of our wedding and reception in Ravello and The Graal Hotel. We have many treasured memories and the most beautiful photos.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
Berkshire
Reviewed 28 June 2009

A superb hotel which offers so much to you fora delightful stay.

We visited the Hotel Graal in the beautiful village of Ravello back in May 2009 and experienced the best service we have ever had from every single member of staff throughout our stay. We have been very surprised to read a review of the Graal which complained about the construction of the nearby Oscar Niemeyer Auditorium, As the review took place at the same time as our stay. The building work is nearing completion and we were not disturbed by any of the works and there was no visual impact from the works

We feel that it would be a shame if anyone considering staying at the Graal is deterred from visiting as a result of an innacurate review.

The entire experience of our holiday was fantastic from the moment we arrived with a very warm welcome from the management team. The Service was relaxed and unintrusive. The staff seemed genuinely caring, friendly and attentive. They couldn't do enough for us! The Rooms are kept impeccably clean at all times and ours had a superb view - I think all the rooms had the stunning view!

Any requests we had were attended to immediately and the Service at the pool area was first class. Not only that we could relax undisturbed by the stunning views over Torrello and Minori.

We tried the Hotel's Restaurant 'Al Ristoro del Moro' - I know that they can sometimes be overlooked and were delightfully surprised by the quality of food we experienced. We tried a number of restaurants in the village and we would also recommend trying Cumpo Cosimo. However I would say that we enjoyed the Ristoro del Moro the most with it's selection of high quality local and regional cuisine served by friendly staff on a terrace with the fresh stunning views over the bay.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
glasgow
Reviewed 24 June 2009

Have been meaning to write this for almost a year - and I guess that shows how much we liked the hotel in that we still want to promote it eleven months after staying in Graal! We were initially attracted to the hotel due to its location (Ravello is such a fabulous place from which to explore the Amalfi Coast) and its price - you will not find a better hotel at such an excellent cost in the surrounding area. Having read some of the not so positive reviews I agree that the hotel is maybe a little tired looking and that it may rate slightly less that the four stars it has been awarded. Despite this however it is a fabulous hotel with wonderful staff who will do anything to make your stay as pleasant as possible.

The room we had was an excellent size, with unrivalled views down the cost. Ravello itself was excellent and it was a joy to spend each night in the square watching the world go by whilst sipping wonderful wine. The small village also boasts a great number of great restaurants and the locals are very friendly and warm.

Ravello as a location is great as it is in walking distance to Amalfi, Antrani, Miniori and is linked with regular buses. We can't recommend this hotel highly enough and hope you enjoy the experience as much as we did!

• Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple