“Stunning Views - Rude Front Desk”
Review of Hotel Rufolo

Hotel Rufolo
Ranked #13 of 21 Hotels in Ravello
Reviewed 29 October 2007

Apart from the incredibly and unhelpful front desk staff, my stay at this hotel was a very pleasant one. I was in Ravello for a wedding and the bride and groom booked several rooms for their guests to stay in. The stunning view from the terrace in my room left me breathless. It overlooked the breakfast area and the Villa Rufolo. Two of us shared a room, and it was spacious and very clean. They have a turn-down service every night. The sheets and blankets were tucked in so tightly that I had to completely unmake the bed in order to be able to fit my feet comfortably at the end. The bathroom was large and clean. The shower was in the middle of the bathtub on the wall, rather than on the end, so if you have big feet, good luck turning sideways to get under it. My pontoons were halfway up the side of the bathtub, and I thought I was going to fall out of it a couple of times. Overall, the front desk staff was curt, unhelpful, and rude. On my last night, I was berated for a group of us not showing up at 10pm to pay the room bill before checking out the next morning, since they are unable to make any transactions any later than that, even though the staff is there 24 hours a day. Somehow they managed to get the payment through, even though it was 11:30pm. They unapologetically forgot my 3:30 am wake-up call on my last night, and I had to run to my airport bus with a huge suitcase dragging behind. I guess this was punishment for unknowingly being late to pay our bill. Beware of the hotel masseuse. If you are looking for a traditional therapeutic massage, this is not the place to go. Several fellow guests felt slightly violated after the experience.

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled on business
2  Thank kikiduke
There are newer reviews for Hotel Rufolo

Reviewed 26 September 2007

Small rooms, outrageously rude staff, unimpressive swimming pool. The charm of having church bells toll every 5 minutes outside your room stretches you to the end of your tether as you find yourself without sleep the next day.

In all,deeply unimpressive. The front desk staff are so incredibly rude you will wonder why on earth you spent so much money staying there.

Stayed: August 2006
2  Thank GussyD
Reviewed 7 September 2007

Beautiful Ravello is the best place to stay on the Amalfi coast.That is saying a great deal about the place as the other towns along this lovely coast are fantastic themselves.
The Hotel Rufolo is a really lovely spacious hotel,only 30 rooms but so much area to enjoy.
The food was great , Italian cooking that gives you the real taste of the Amalfi coast ,and served with great pride by the staff who are a joy !!!
Visit them you will not be dissapointed.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled with family
5  Thank BCP69
Reviewed 20 June 2007

When my civil partner and I stayed at this hotel we found it not especially stylish: bland decorations, tired spider plants around the place, a daft but proud display case of letters from earlier guests such as Douglas Hurd (signed 'home secretary'!). The welcome was not especially warm (but, I believe, not homophobic either). The place does, however, offer a very agreeable indeed deeply satisfying overall experience. Whilst it is not glamorous, it is beautifully managed, is spotless and airy, has pleasant gardens and terraces and a proper pool. It enjoys a full complement of busy, helpful staff. The rooms are nothing special, though they are more than adequate.

There is a trump card. The view from most of the rooms, across the gardens of the Villa Rufolo and down to the coast beyond is, however, incomparably stunning and lifts the experience of staying at this hotel into its own special category. Most rooms seem to have either a small balcony or a generous terrace from which to contemplate an extraordinarily beautiful scene. Nothing in this exclusive but delightfully relaxed resort would appear to come anywhere close at the price.

Three weeks and four hotels later, I find myself longing to be back at the Rufolo.

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Nickthebrief
Reviewed 6 May 2007

The town of Ravello is dramatically perhed high above the Mediterranean. The hotel is in the town, accessed thru a narrow archway with limited parking. The setting is absolutely gorgeous across from the Villa Rufolo, a medieval Norman Castle and gardens - my wife calls it a fairy tale setting. The staff accommodated our every desire, and early in April we practically had the place to ourselves. Our 2 dinners in their restaurant were a treat, offering specialties from the chef and excellent service while overlooking the water below. Breakfast was served in the same room and offered many varied selections.

• Stayed: April 2007, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Dennis F
Reviewed 10 December 2006

We stayed here for the second part of our honeymoon on the Amalfi Coast. After a torturous nightmarish drive from Sorrento ( 10 years driving not a single claim, 2 minutes in Sorrento lose a wing mirror) it was a relief to find this well positioned hotel. They calmed our frayed nerves, found loads of gaffer tape to repair the damage and parked the car where we did not have to go anywhere near it for the rest of our stay!

The staff were always friendly and welcoming, they quickly rescued my wife's wedding bouquet from the bidet and placed them in a vase which we thought was very sweet. The reception staff gave us excellent advice about the buses (which are cheap and easy to use) and a walk down to Amalfi via Atrani.

The hotel is small but perfectly positioned, all the famous photos of Ravello seem to be taken from the terrace. The Villa Rufolo next door is beautiful.

Yes there are grander more opulent hotels in Ravello, but then Ravello is not that kind of town. People watching in the square is the favourite pastime of the locals and staying anywhere else you would have felt removed from the reality of Ravello.

• Stayed: April 2005, travelled as a couple
6  Thank VV2
Reviewed 14 August 2006

We stayed at the Hotel Rufolo for 2 nights in June 2006 and this is what we observed:

-This hotel is all about the knock-your-socks-off view which is about 1000 ft above the town of Amalfi and looks east toward Salerno. For this they get big bucks but not as much as Palazzo Sasso or some of the other 5 star hotels which seem to have the same view as the Rufolo.

-We stayed in a balcony suite which gave us an excellent situation for pre-dinner cocktails and snacks with a world-class view.

-Our room had substandard air-conditioning, poor lighting and a slightly musty smell but none of this took away from the view.

-As other reviewers have reported the hotel staff is somewhat indifferent to guests but forget about them--you're here for the view.

-The hotel location is great-just steps from the Piazza and has the advantage of a car park for guests-something many of the other Ravello hotels don't have.

-Speaking of the view, the photos you always see of Ravello with the coastline in the background and the trees in the foreground were taken from Villa Rufolo which is right next door to the hotel.
Walk through the villa and go outside all the way to the back right corner of the property and you will will that same photo that you see in all the brochures.

-We didn't eat lunch or dinner at the hotel so I can't vouch for the food. The breakfast was basic--nothing spectacular. We ate dinner at one of the local restaurants one night and then brought back food to the room the other night for our own spectacular dining view on the balcony. Additionally, we were able to avoid the half-board arrangement that other reviewers have complained about. I think this may be due to booking a suite rather than a standard room.

-If you are debating about whether to stay in Positano or Ravello, this is clearly a better choice. We have stayed in both towns and Positano has now become inundated with tourists that are not as apparent in Ravello. In the evening after the day-trippers have left Ravello you will think that you are staying in your own private quiet village.

-In summary, everything here is secondary to the view. I thought it was worth the cost. You'll remember the view for the rest of your life.

• Stayed: June 2006, travelled as a couple
11  Thank Rocket88
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ravello
Ravello Art Hotel Marmorata, BW Premier Collection
NH Collection Grand Hotel Convento di Amalfi
Graal Hotel Ravello
Graal Hotel Ravello
#14 of 21 in Ravello

Been to Hotel Rufolo? Share your experiences!