“Our absolute favorite place on the Amalfi Coast”
Review of Villa San Michele

Villa San Michele
Ranked #1 of 21 Hotels in Ravello
Reviewed 26 June 2009

We have been to Amalfi many times and this was our second stay at the Hotel Villa San Michele. It was a relaxing 6 day visit – absorbing the spectacular views of the sea, mesmerized by the ever-changing light, watching fishermen in the distance hauling in their nets at sunrise, and waving at the occasional tour boat passing by. The amazing location of the hotel perched on the side of a cliff below the winding coastal road offers such views from all the rooms. The cliffside location does make for lots of steps to climb past the beautifully landscaped terraces to the rooms below. However, in addition to great exercise, this also ensures complete privacy and quiet from the traffic noise far above. Also, the friendly hotel staff will gladly help carry the luggage to and from your room.
We began each morning with a typical Italian breakfast of fresh-baked rolls and pastries, caffé-latte and freshly squeezed orange juice. The hotel's half-pension plan freed us to be out and about all day before returning to the hotel for the wonderful dinners that awaited us there. The three-course menu was different each day, and each meal was a delight – typical local dishes lovingly prepared with a traditional simplicity featuring the natural flavors of the day's fresh ingredients. After all, that is why one GOES to Italy, no?
We left our car with Nicola when we arrived, who kindly stowed it in their nearby parking garage for us. Parking otherwise is extremely difficult and driving hair-raising anyway on the Amalfi Coast, so we were glad not to have to worry about the car during our stay. Instead, with the bus stop directly across the street and a multi-day pass in our pocket, it was easy to take the bus everywhere. Also, the town of Amalfi is only 15-20 min. away on foot (depending on how many picture stops you take), a walk that takes you past the sleepy fishing village of Atrani, nicely isolated from the tourist hubbub of Amalfi.
We love the Amalfi Coast and, with the attentive services from Nicola, Rosa, Emiliano, Leopoldo and the rest of the friendly staff, we feel that Hotel Villa San Michele is the perfect base from which to enjoy its scenic splendors and cultural offerings.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled with friends

Reviewed 24 June 2009

Geraldine & I spent our 3rd Hotel Villa San Michele stay to celebrate our joint 60th, We returned because we knew we would get the same meticulous attention to detail from Nicola, Leopoldo Emiliano and the family. This holiday exceeded our already high expectations (see review San_Michele_Fan 24/10/2008) because the team could not have been more helpful in arranging excursions- not only the usual Capri ones, but also to a water buffalo farm owned by Baroness Cecilia to see mozzarella made and a concert in the grounds of the Villa Ruffalo in Ravello. The food continues to be a real treat- local cuisine. The rooms are clean, tastefully decorated with magnificent views over the Bay of Salerno. This year's treat was riding pillion to the ATM at Atrani on Leopoldo's motorbike- it made me feel like 30 again! We have booked again next year - keep the motor running, Leopoldo, you Easy Rider you! Thanks for the excursion advice, Emiliano- we found new places to visit off the beaten track -the Sentieri degli Dei for example, and expect new ones next time- see you next June!

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank San_Michele_fan
Reviewed 14 June 2009

We needed a very relaxing break with fantastic food and a variety of things to do. We were away from our two very small children for just one week and it was our first holiday in 5 years. This is exactly what we wanted. Our room was clean and comfortable with a balcony and a terrace looking over the sea. We were half board apart from two nights during which we went to a restaurant recommended by Nicola which was fantastic in the nearby town of Atrani. On the other nights we ate at the hotel and the food started off average, and finished being very good. It seemed to get better each night. The pasta starter was generally the best coarse, and the pudding not very exciting but by that time we were so full it didn't matter. The wine was absolutely delicious and the staff very friendly, professional and helpful. Breakfast was simply bread and croissants and I did miss fruit, yoghurt or something healthy but all I needed to do was pop up to the shop opposite the hotel where I could get these things and there was a fridge in our room we could keep things in. Also we got wine and wonderfully fresh olives at the shop before dinner. We'd sit at a table looking over the sea surrounded by flowers and lemons.

Having got a picnic of mozzarella and parma ham ciabatta rolls from the shop, we hired a boat for a day and loved it so much that we did it again for a half day, despite the euro being a nightmare at the time. The boat was delivered to the hotel. It felt luxurious, decadent and such fun. We drove the boat to Capri, not our cup of tea on the island but going around it was beautiful. We stopped in Positano where we got the taxi boat from our boat to the town which was 10 euro there and back inclusive which we thought was very expensive but it is the same price whether there for an hour or a day. Positano was lively and pretty with fantastic shopping. Going back to the hotel was a wonderful very peaceful hideaway, like escaping to our own little bit of luxury away from the crowds.

We swam in the sea and snorkelled (watch out for jelly fish - my husband got stung on our first night!), sunbathed, explored Amalfi and Atrani, both a walk away and took the car we hired up to Ravello which is beautiful, particulary Villa Crimbone which is a must.

We enjoyed the freedom having a car gave us and explored all over the Amalfi Coast. Our conclusion: we had picked the best spot!

Apart from being able to hear fellow guests walking around and shutting doors, we have nothing negative to say. Even the noise of the guests never was that bad because there are only 12 rooms and it is not the kind of place you go for a big party.

We arrived home well rested, well fed and wanting to go back one day definitely. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank DorsetVicky
Reviewed 12 June 2009

We booked the VSM many months ago when I fell in love with it on Trip advisor. They accommodated our request to book for 4 days (in high season they prefer 6 days +) When we arrived, tired and hot from our journey, our reservation was not on the books. After a view of the emails, it was discovered that the final confirmation had never been sent and therefore was not recorded in the book and our room had been booked by someone else! I was almost in tears! Well, Nicola to the rescue. He quickly told us not to worry and that he had several different options available to us. I won't go into too many details but the final decision was to spend the first night in their sister hotel (only 150m down the road) free of charge and then spend the remaining three nights in a vacation apartment rental next door with access to facilities at both hotels for the entire stay. We were quite satisfied with the arrangement to say the least.

The sister hotel (Sparragio?) is very beautiful and similar to the VSM built into the cliffs below the road. It has a swimming pool and a swimming platform. There was no restaurant so we went out for dinner to a lovely little spot around the corner. They comped all of our mini-bar items. Our room had a large private balcony over-looking the sea. It was so gorgeous. The rooms were huge!

The vacation rental is a full condo. It had a kitchen with laundry facilities, a dining area, living room, bedroom, bathroom, and a large balcony overlooking the sea. We enjoyed our stay there very much.

For dinner the remaining three nights we ate at VSM and had lovely dinners prepared by Nicola's wife.

The swimming at VSM is superb and I spent far too many hours lying by the water burning to a crisp.

There is a small bar/store across the steet from VSM that sells great snacks and bus tickets so that you can go up the hill to Ravello or to any of the other beautiful towns along the sea coast.

If I ever have the opportunity to go back to Italy I will definitely stay at Villa San Michele again!

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank NovaScotiaAnniero
Reviewed 30 May 2009

The location is stunning - terraces down the cliff-face, vertically above the sea - and the steps will get you fit, if nothing else ! The bedrooms are cool and comfortable, simply furnished but with plenty of storage space. Balconies give lovely views over the bay; there is also a terrace with flowers and lemon trees, and steps to a sun-deck right down at sea-level. Nicola and his staff are exceptionally welcoming and helpful; the dining-room is friendly and relaxed, with a choice of freshly-prepared , home-cooked dishes using local ingredients, and Nicola will advise on a choice of good, reasonably-priced local wines.
The hotel is by a bus-stop, with services around the coast and inland, but the town of Amalfi is within easy walking distance, from where you can catch regular boat services to Positano, Sorrento, etc - recommended. The main coast road (which everyone warns you against) is actually of a pretty good standard, but is twisty and can be VERY busy -probably not the place for your first experience of Italian driving . . . However, if you do take a car (we did), you can easily drive across to the sites at Pompeii, Herculaneum and Paestum within a couple of hours. We managed to find parking space at or by the hotel every day.
Villa san Michele is not big and glossy; there isn't a beach and there aren't lots of leisure facilities immediately nearby; there are LOTS of steps (and no lift), so you need to be reasonably mobile. But if you want genuine Italian food and hospitality in a spectacular setting, this is a lovely place for a holiday.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank PandaWorcestershire
Reviewed 26 May 2009

There were alot of great things about this place: the location, the beautiful private patio in each room, the gardens patios, the swimdeck/boat dock, and most of all the beautiful dinner that is included in your board. The onwers are very happy to assist you with any special arrangements for tours, transportation etc during your stay and in that regard were a godsend. But it was absolutely less than ideal for a family. We brought along our 2 year old daughter with us on this trip. Though dinner was beautiful at the hotel, the restaurant does not open for dinner until 7:30. By the time we got our food, our daughter had fallen asleep on her chair most nights. The nights she hadn't yet fallen asleep, they never offered her a single crumb to eat. Even when I specifically asked for some gelato for her, it mysteriously didn't show up, and another night I asked for an extra peice of cake for her, he only brought 2 and asked if I 'still wanted a 3rd'. She might as well have been a lap dog because they patted her on the head and then didn't feed her a thing. Not even offer her a drink!! We would certainly have payed extra to have our daughter fed, but instead we had to make do with going into town and buying her some cold snacks we kept in the mini-bar fridge, and obviously portioning off our dinners to ensure she was fed. Also, the hotel is litterally built into the cliffside, so the property is over a dozen flights of stairs from top to bottom - so if you have bad knees or any condition that would prevent you from doing several flights of stairs several times a day, this isn't the location for you.

The rooms were actually quite charming, and though it would have been nice if they swept our pation once or twice, the rooms and bathrooms were well maintained. We ate and drank from the minibar for 4 days and when we got the bill, by our calculations, they charged us exactly what they would have paid for each item at the store. Excellent value for your dollar overall.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled with family
amalfi, Owner at Villa San Michele, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2009

Dear Madame,

I write this e-mail to thank you and to clarify some things.

I’m really glad of most of the words you’ve written about us and I can say that I miss the point about something. I accept your critic words and I will try to get better, but I also want to remind you that I’ve a family that for me comes before anything else.

My personal life philosophy puts children and old people above all the others and, life is strange, in these days we’ve, in the same room where you stayed, a couple with a 18 months old baby. The parents ask day by day a different menu for their child and we fulfil their wishes every day.

This can happen as they talked to us about this particular need.

I’m very sorry you use such words to describe the situation, it was never in our intention to create something like this.

Unfortunately, I don’t remember you let me know you had particular necessities, therefore I thought that, as most of the families with very young children, you had your meals to feed your baby at the most appropriated time.

I would like to remember you that, beyond me and my colleagues, in the kitchen there is also my wife who is miles away far from being insensible as she's a mother as well.

Plus, if you just pointed this to us, we could open the restaurant at least 20/30 minutes in advance.

I think it can be useful to know that I’ve the celiac disease and I’m very close to this kind of matters.

In our restaurant we feed also people with particular alimentary intolerance and it’s testified by some reviews.

The key point in this history, in my humble opinion, is to let the management know about specific situations.

I still remember the way you and your husband enjoyed the atmosphere, the chat with the other guests and our way of working with the smile always on.

I really apologize for the situation you’ve been through, but it’s a relief to read that your stay has been good anyway.

Best wishes,

Nicola Dipino

Reviewed 12 May 2009

I travelled to Italy with two friends and our first stop was the Villa San Michele. We were not disappointed in our choice of hotels. The staff were absolutely wonderful and it was not an effort for them to greet us with a smile and a wave every time we saw them. They were all so warm and welcoming and we were sad to leave our beautiful little villa on the Amalfi Coast.
Thank you so much for making my first trip to Italy such a wonderful experience.
Linda Lorrain, Ontario, Canada

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank Gnomekeeperl
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ravello
Palazzo Avino
#4 of 21 in Ravello
Santa Caterina Hotel
Santa Caterina Hotel
#1 of 29 in Amalfi

Been to Villa San Michele? Share your experiences!