“Great Hotel, Great Value, Family Friendly resort!”
Review of Hotel Adlon

Hotel Adlon
Ranked #8 of 288 Hotels in Riccione
Royal Tunbridge Wells, United Kingdom
“Great Hotel, Great Value, Family Friendly resort!”
Reviewed 18 August 2011

Having never stayed in a busy seaside resort before during peak holiday season, with 2 young children (6 and 3) , I must confess we were worried as our train arrived in Riccione and we saw the throngs of younger people getting on and off the train.
How needless our worrying had been!
The hotel Adlon is one of hundreds of hotels in Riccione and Rimini but definitely stands out in our opinion.
Positives:
Location is good - 10 metres from the beach, in a quieter sea front area yet very close to nightlife if you wanted it.
The hotel is very very family friendly offering a wide variety of amenities, a small yet child friendly pool, excellent accommodation (room 304) and incredibly friendly and helpful staff (from the owner Claudio to Nicola on the front desk, to Liliana our cleaner).
We opted for a super inclusive family suite offer which included half board. I was very surprised at the quality and variety of the food Daniel and his team provide each day backed up with excellent service from the serving staff (Jola and Pina for us amongst others). The free drinks, free bikes, free childrens activities and beach facilities also meant that overall the price we payed was excellent value, particularly when you have children that want endless drinks and food of varying amounts!:-)
Almost all guest were Italian so personally I did enjoy having a novelty factor!
Improvements:
Being ruthless perhaps better coffee and better /fresher orange juice at breakfast
Overall
We had a wonderful stay in Riccione and the Hotel Adlon and would thoroughly recommend the Hotel to anyone looking for a good value hotel with excellent food and service. Several guests we spoke to come back year after year, and Claudio has kept the same team of staff for several years - says it all really

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Jump32

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Visby, Sweden
Reviewed 31 May 2011

I organsed a training camp for 40 cyclists at Hotel Adlon in May 2011. The rate of service of which the staff and management performed was totally out of the ordinary. We booked the Bike & Relax package and participation at the Gran Fondo Nove Colli in Cesenatico. This is a place where we really felt at home.

The Restaurant:
Chef Daniele performs magic everyday, breakfast, after Bike Brunch and of course the four course dinner buffet. The waiters and waitresses have to be the most hardworking people in the business, but always with a smile on their faces.

The Activities:
The hotel arranges different types of activeties for their guests, such as "Chef for a day", "vine yard trip", "Nordic walking". Well worth doing!

The Cycle guides:
Great guides! A few of the guides are ex pro cyclists, so they really know what they are talking about. We had a last year's pro from the Flamina team even! A few had also won a few spring classics! So basically, if you want to go cycling… Hotel Adlon is the place.

• Stayed May 2011
1 Thank Bianchista
Regensburg, Germany
Reviewed 5 May 2011

I spent a week for cycling holiday with some freinds of mine in march 2011.
It was an amazing experience with this friendly staff in a nice hotel.
The guides and the tours are really well organised and Francesco is very helpfull for any problem regarding cycles and much more.
Good italian food in the restaurant with lots of italian home made pasta as lasagne, tagliatelle...
The hotel is seaside located with a very nice spa on the top level with an incredible view on the sea and the mountains as san marino. Nice room, clean with sea view balcony .
It is a good deal and great value for money.

Room Tip: cycling holiday in adlon hotel
  • Stayed March 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank gregor62
Barcelona, Spain
Reviewed 24 April 2011

The other reviews of Hotel Adlon in Riccione are mostly very positive. I was slightly disappointed - perhaps I expected more than this hotel, or this class of hotel, is intended to provide. But it's nuanced, so I'll provide a lot of detail.

There are two elements to this review. One is of the hotel itself (regardless of the purpose for a stay there), and the other relates to the bicycling element for which this hotel and many other hotels in the Riccione area specifically advertise their services.

About the hotel itself: There are MANY hotels in Riccione and the surrounding area, most of them the same "3 star" rating as that displayed by Adlon. We've stayed only at Adlon, on this our only visit to Riccione. We saw the web pages of many others, most of which claimed to offer very similar accomodations and services.

We found that the room - we were given a room with one full/queen size bed plus a second small bed, though we hadn't asked for the second bed - was a bit cramped. To access the wardrobe required closing the wardrobe door, squeezing past the foot of the bed to get in front of the wardrobe, opening the wardrobe door (as far as it would go - it is blocked from opening fully by the bed), then reverse the process to escape again. The shower stall in the bathroom was too small, and we are not large people. Water pressure ranged from just adequate to too-low at times, and water temperature control though survivable was often a bit variable. The single desk/chair area was completely occupied by a large television (which the staff promptly and cheerfully, if a little bit disbelievingly :-) removed for us, giving us space to set up a laptop computer). And, unacceptably, throughout our stay, despite the diligent attention and attempts by the staff to correct it, we often suffered a noticeable odor of urine in the bathroom. (Cleanliness otherwise was good enough, and the manager did offer us the option of changing rooms; we probably should have just jumped at that, but as it's a nuisance to change rooms, we hoped, without adequate results, that the smell would have been completely and promptly corrected; I think it did get somewhat better, but not sufficiently so during our stay).

Maintenance was a bit imperfect as well - the toilet seat was broken (and was replaced by the hotel at our request); and the shutters on the hotel room window would not raise up above about 160cm.

The hotel has a single, somewhat small elevator. We stayed on the 2nd floor (the hotel consists of the ground floor with reception and lobby, then the principal floor which is given entirely to the restaurant, then residential floors numbered 1, 2, etc, with a "wellness oasis" on floor 6). So, we took the three flights of stairs almost every time, down or up, simply to avoid waiting for the inadequate single elevator.

We chose an almost-all-inclusive package for our stay, specifically "Sport & Relax", described as "Super Half-Board" including a full breakfast buffet, a full dinner buffet, and a "sports buffet" (which is almost the same as breakfast, but with pasta replacing eggs/bacon). In effect, it really is Full Board. Food was plentiful, though often bland and uncreative. Perhaps the hotel chooses to make the food this way deliberately, in order to avoid offending the different food sensibitilites of its international guests (principally Italians, French and Germans, though we also met a small number of Scandinavian folks; virtually no primary English or Spanish speakers).

The layout of the dining room made it a bit too small to handle the number of guests of the hotel. This sometimes made for jostling to squeeze between tables full of people to enter or exit the room, and to reach and pass by the buffet tables.

The hours of the food service - 8:00AM-10:00AM for breakfast, 2:30PM-5:00PM for the sports brunch (a regular lunch was also served from Noon to 1:45PM, which was not part of our package and for which hours we were never in the hotel anyway), and dinner from 7:30PM-8:45PM were almost adequate. I'd have preferred that breakfast open rather earlier in recognition of the bicycle tour departure hours of 9:30am and sometimes 9:00am, to avoid a bit of a crush to get ready to leave. And, admitting my Spanish predilection here, dinner a little bit later might have been nice. But on the whole, food hours were adequate, and quantity was never a problem.

In addition to much of the food being bland, the morning coffee offered at the tables was quite un-drinkable, and the coffee from the ubiquitous push-button machines (of which there were two - definitely not enough to handle the breakfast rush) was only barely better and still rather poor. Good tea was available, however.

The hotel includes in our package and others, unlimited free wireless Internet throughout the hotel. We found it to be slightly overburdened at times, but certainly for email and basic web browsing generally adequate. We were frustrated by apparent capacity limitations and even possible filtering performed by the hotel's Internet connection which made e.g. iTunes unworkable and blocked VPN access, and caused far too many "temporary DNS errors" (blocking access from time to time even to such well known webpages as Google).

Our package also included access to the "wellness oasis" on floor 6, consisting of a small 6-person jacuzzi and a small sauna. We had looked forward to soaking in very hot water in the jacuzzi after the bicycle rides to relax our muscles, and were quite disappointed to find that the water temperature was around 33°C. To us (perhaps spoiled by Japanese "Onsen" hot spring resorts), this is simply too cool to do our muscles any good, and the water actually feels cool after just a few minutes. We find that water between 40°C and 45°C is what we seek for muscle relaxation. So, the wellness oasis was of no use to us.

So, definitely imperfect, maybe or maybe not 3-star, but mostly functional. At the €100/night we paid for the Sport & Relax package (for two people), including all food, daily laundry service for our technical bicycling clothes, and Internet, it's not a bad deal at all. The key is to understand that you're buying a lot of service at a middle-of-the-road property. If your expectation is set correctly, you may indeed be satisfied. Were we to plan this trip again, knowing what we now know, we would look deeper in to the exact comments made in the various reviews, and choose a higher class/price of hotel.

To give credit where indeed very much credit is due: all of the people who work at the hotel are VERY nice, friendly, solicitous, and helpful. This makes up for a LOT of minor inconveniences. Had it not been for the truly excellent staff, my review would have been quite bad.

Second part - the specifics of the bicycle touring:
Here, I have to levy slightly harsher criticism. The hotel brochures claimed that each day's routes would be "presented" in clear detail. In fact, the routes were simply posted on a stand in the lobby, with a very rough estimate of the distance (and a fairly accurate estimate of the speed at which the leader would drive the group), but no meaningful explanation of the countryside to be passed through, or the climbs and descents and types of roads and road surfaces to be experienced.

The routes were all variations on a single common map which is distributed by all of the bicycle hotels in Riccione. This map shows distances and gives directions which may be fairly easily followed - as long as you stay exactly on the marked routes - because there are signs at the intersections of the roads which include the various route numbers from this map.
However, this map is not the same as the map(s) used by the hotel in posting each day's rides, and neither this map nor the each day's ride maps were easy for me to match up on Google Maps or MapMyRide.com, so it is impractical or prohibitively time-costly to produce an accurate map on which to see the actual terrain we would be riding (in the absence of the promised detailed descriptions). I urge Adlon to augment every day's map with a tinyurl.com link to a MapMyRide or similar elevation-inclusive mapping service to allow the guests to better select the route they wish to choose.

In our experience, three of the four rides we took with the guides ended up being 10km-15km longer than advertised (day 1: advertised 73km, actual 86km; day 2: advertised 70km, actual 83km; day 3: about at the advertised length; day 5: advertised 75km, actual 90km). I lead a road bicycling club in Catalunya, Spain. My route lengths are accurate to within 1km, unless something happens en-route to cause a change. My descriptions tend to be very detailed about the type of climbs, descents, and road surfaces. So I feel justified in complaining that the lack of presentation, and the inaccuracy, is a bit of a falling down, as it is so easily solved by simply being accurate.

Additionally, the hotel brochure clearly stated that "bicycle lunches" would be provided to all riders each morning, specifically to include bananas and sandwiches. There were no sandwiches. I asked the front desk about this, and they confirmed that (despite the hotel's formal advertising clearly stating sandwiches would be provided) they do not (any longer?) provide sandwiches.
The presence or absence of sandwiches is not a great value changer - however, the incorrectly set expectation of a greater amount and variety of food suddenly leaving the rider short at the beginning of the day is a totally unnecessary and avoidable stress to put on a holiday maker, and is not acceptable.

The rides themselves, and this is fine but it perhaps could have been better signalled in the hotel's advertisements, were very much of the "get on, get going, get done" sort. There was one coffee stop, always right about Noon, during each ride. For more leisure oriented cyclists (such as my wife, for whom this was her first ever bicycle holiday) this is a bit too much of a "forced march" style, at least coming without clear advance notice.

Labor involved in any necessary minor technical bicycle service during the week is part of the package, and indeed one morning when I collected my bicycle from the storage room and found that right at the end of the previous day I had rolled over a piece of glass and damaged the tire beyond repair (the timing must have been amazing - I finished the ride with no awareness of any tire pressure loss, put the bicycle away, and the next morning found the tire totally flat and the tire itself so damaged by the glass that it had to be replaced).
The guides made prompt work of the new tire and tube, getting us out with only a few minutes of delay despite the rather last-minute discovery of the mechanical trouble. The total cost billed to my room account for the replacement tire and tube was perfectly reasonable.
Many thanks for this.

Just as with my comments about the hotel above, I have to call out the good where it is very well deserved: All of the bicycle guides did a good job of maintaining the group's speed as advertised, and mostly were good at keeping the group together and making sure that nobody got lost. That's very important, and the guides were always good natured about it.

The guides, however, all spoke principally Italian (no surprise there); some of them also spoke some French or German. None spoke English or Spanish. As the Riccione bike hotels all advertise in multiple languages including English (and the hotel desk and restaurant staff all spoke adequately in a variety of languages so that I saw nobody have any problem communicating in that environment), it was a bit disappointing to be unable to communicate with the ride leaders. (Disclosure: I speak English and Spanish fluently; I do not expect all the world to speak either of my languages; I do expect any business which advertises to me in one of my languages to be able to provide all of its advertised services in that language, including bicycle guides). This didn't turn out to be a large problem, but as with the sandwiches above, it's a disappointment and a bit of extra stress that a holidaymaker does not want!

Finally, nothing to do with the hotels and their people at all - the riding. The Adriatic coast countryside is pretty, sometimes stunning. With Riccione's situation on the coast, you do repeat the same roads quite a lot, as you get to and from the more interesting part of the rides father south, north or inland. There is a fair amount of traffic even far from the coastal holiday towns, and the Italian drivers tend to be impatient, pass in dangerous places and leave little space between the side of their cars and the bicyclists, and honk rather unnecessarily a lot.
The road surfaces on average were poor-to-average, not smooth. Far too often the road surfaces were unpleasantly rough, and in a few places were actually dangerous with large uneven cracks or sand fills on descending curves. If cyclotourism is a draw that the regional government wants to keep up, it must make a major investment in upgrading these roads!

I am probably spoiled by the massive investment in high quality roads which has been made in recent years in my home area of Catalunya (Barcelona), Spain, which provides that most roads are in excellent smooth repair. Further, the Catalunya drivers are much better behaved.

Would this cause me to actively recommend against someone going on a bicycling holiday in Riccione/Rimini along the Adriatic coast? .. not exactly, but I do recommend seeking alternatives first, and having exhausted those, then do also visit Riccione. (Make a point of riding the Panoramic highway over the hills starting about 10km south of Riccione just beyond Cattolica further south until the descent to Pesaro - it was one of the most lovely sections of road during the whole week).

And, despite that Riccione makes significant efforts to advertise itself as a bicycle holiday centre, the town has a critical lack of places to purchase bicycle supplies. I made the - incorrect - assumption that I would be able to purchase bicycling-appropriate food bars, gels, powders, etc on every other street corner in Riccione, if not from the hotels themselves. The reality is 100% different - there are two bicycle shops about 5km south of Riccione along the highway, both of which sell a very small selection of very over-priced bicycle food and drink items. So, you must come packed with everything you'll need, as buying it locally is somewhere between impossible and ridiculously overpriced. If you're driving in, that's pretty easy; but if you fly in as we did, that makes for bulky/ excess baggage! (For reference, there is a Decathlon 30km north along the coast, which might be okay for a once-during-the-week stop for people who drive in with their own cars or rent a car locally, but is otherwise impractical; we flew in to Bologna, and took a train from there to Riccione).

One final remark on the region. There are plenty of interesting things to do and see in the area. Very few of these are practically reachable without your own (or rented) car. And all tend to have odd hours, or package ticket requirements. Plan well ahead - moreso than you might expect to have to do so compared with cities like London, Paris and Barcelona (and yes, I do realise that the Adriatic coast of Italy is a much smaller metropolitan setting than any of those cities).

In total summary: It was a nice trip. We enjoyed it, and got in some good riding. We had excellent weather, and really enjoyed the hospitality of our hosts and guides, and we enjoyed meeting many of our fellow cyclists. We don't plan to return to Riccione, as what we have right here near home in Barcelona / Catalunya turns out to be so much better.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
5 Thank libove
North England
Reviewed 4 May 2010

Stayed for some bike training. All the facilities and staff were great. Food and service was excellent. Overall I would recommend this for a relaxing happy time

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Cycosport
Central England
Reviewed 2 April 2010

Like many others I came here for cycle training but found more than that. A really friendly hotel with superb staff, good food and a great atmosphere. There are cycle fans, tri-athletes and even a beach volley ball team but also families, Italian couples and budget holiday makers.
At this time of the year (March/April) the emphasis is on sport so, if you are looking for a hotel to relax in, you might feel out of place. But, if you want to enjoy a family run Italian hotel in the midst of a beach resort, then look no further.
Riccione is not the most attractive of towns (despite what the brochures may say) but this place is an oasis of happiness .... and they do great bike training too!

• Stayed March 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank papa-rupe
Toronto
Reviewed 21 September 2009

I booked the Hotel Adlon on the basis of very good value for a cycling vacation, but I was impressed beyond just the value. The hotel and rooms were spotless. The food was excellent - very tasty and plentiful buffets. Best of all, the staff went out of their way to make my stay as pleasant as possible - the front desk, the dining room staff, and Francesco, the ride organizer and bici mechanic. The rides themselves were scenic and challenging - along the Adriatic and up into the hills of Emilgia Romanga. Interrupted only for a well deserved rest and capuccino in a cafe at a local medieval piazza. I plan on making a cycling trip to Hotel Adlon an annual event.

• Stayed September 2009