“*THE* best italian meal we've ever had”
Review of la Montanara

la Montanara
Ranked #44 of 158 Restaurants in Riva Del Garda
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 30 September 2013

Found this by accident wandering around looking for somewhere to eat. A bit dubious at first - hand written menus photocopied. But I realised that is because they source all their ingredients daily and cook what they buy. Started with buffalo mozzarella that was the creamiest by miles and miles - they gave us a spoon to eat it with. Oh my god! (with lovely italian ripe tomatoes). Moved on to beetroot spaghetti - sounds odd but the nicest pasta dish I've had. Great bottle of local wine I've never heard of. Can't say enough good things about this place. Don't bother with the menu - get chatty with the waitress and ask her for a recommendation. One of a few restaurants I would want to keep going back to until I've eaten everything on their menu. And really cheap I thought.

Reviewed 24 September 2013

We found this little restaurant about 6 years ago in one of those narrow side streets which just invites you to explore (the view of the mountainside at the end of the street is pretty impressive too). The menu is fairly limited & there are no pizzas (not an issue for us but maybe for some) but the food was very tasty &, great value in a typical Italian setting.

Three years later we stayed in Malcesine & returned to Riva by ferry to re-visit the restaurant & then again in August this year !!. I was pleased to see that the restaurant remains authentic. The staff are very friendly & will translate the menu for you (as it is in Italian only). The food is delicious, especially the vegetarian lasagne & the crème brulee & it is still good value. What's not to like !!

One slight criticism - a young waitress (possibly a daughter) was under instruction & there was a disagreement. Maybe I should just put it down to the fiery Italian temperament but it would have been better out of hearing of customers even though I couldn't understand what was said. Mind you it still didn't change my feelings about the restaurant itself.

As we were staying elsewhere on a half board basis we only had the opportunity to have lunch, but over the course of our 3 "week long" holidays we still managed to eat here 6 times. I believe that speaks for itself !!

Reviewed 26 August 2013 via mobile

It's like sitting in an italian kitchen. Very friendly staff. Food was decent and good value for money. Great restaurant tucked away in a side street.

1  Thank Ian01-01
Reviewed 26 August 2013

Had a fantastic lunch at this restaurant. Like many other reviewers found this place by accident as sat in restaurant next door and waited over 10 minutes to be served. Moved swiftly next door to be shown to the table offered bread and drinks straight away. No pizzas in sight which might have been a problem with a 9 year old in tow, but she opted for the vegetarian lasagne which she declared was the best ever. The mozzarella salad was to die for. The staff were extremely efficient & helpful on recommendations from the menu. Very very highly recommended.

Reviewed 16 August 2013

We visited this restaurant for lunch and found it by accident. There is only a limited menu, but what they id do was good quality homemade food which is reasonably priced. We were very happy we found it.