“Superb straightforward good value”
Review of la Montanara

la Montanara
Ranked #37 of 150 Restaurants in Riva Del Garda
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Bridgend, Uk
“Superb straightforward good value”
Reviewed 19 June 2014 via mobile

Last Montanara is the best restaurant in Riva. The food is simple, tasty and well cooked. Service is friendly and efficient. The menus are handwritten and change regularly because they cook what is is season at the time. They have a great wine list but the house red, a Teroldego, is excellent. Great value, great atmosphere, and great food.

Visited June 2014

• Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Alzey, Germany
“Authentic Italian kitchen but no pizza”
Reviewed 11 June 2014

It is hard to find a spot in Riva that doesn't hunt the tourists cash. The trattoria is located in a small street. The kitchen serves honest Italian food on a basic level. The service is very good and speaks Italian, English and German. For some reason they don't make pizza.

• Visited May 2014
Runcorn, United Kingdom
“Great Restaurant - Italian Menu”
Reviewed 30 September 2013

This is a very attractive restaurant with a good atmosphere and great food. My only criticism was that the menu is only in Italian. I know we Brits need to make the effort, but with my pigeon Italian it was difficult. The staff will translate, but the problem is that by the time they have gone through the menu you have forgotten most of it. Given that most of the diners are German or English speaking, a translation would make it a more pleasurable experience. That said the food was good and I would definitely return.

• Visited September 2013
Warrington, United Kingdom
“*THE* best italian meal we've ever had”
Reviewed 30 September 2013

Found this by accident wandering around looking for somewhere to eat. A bit dubious at first - hand written menus photocopied. But I realised that is because they source all their ingredients daily and cook what they buy. Started with buffalo mozzarella that was the creamiest by miles and miles - they gave us a spoon to eat it with. Oh my god! (with lovely italian ripe tomatoes). Moved on to beetroot spaghetti - sounds odd but the nicest pasta dish I've had. Great bottle of local wine I've never heard of. Can't say enough good things about this place. Don't bother with the menu - get chatty with the waitress and ask her for a recommendation. One of a few restaurants I would want to keep going back to until I've eaten everything on their menu. And really cheap I thought.

• Visited July 2013
Jordanstown,N Ireland
“A little gem”
Reviewed 24 September 2013

We found this little restaurant about 6 years ago in one of those narrow side streets which just invites you to explore (the view of the mountainside at the end of the street is pretty impressive too). The menu is fairly limited & there are no pizzas (not an issue for us but maybe for some) but the food was very tasty &, great value in a typical Italian setting.

Three years later we stayed in Malcesine & returned to Riva by ferry to re-visit the restaurant & then again in August this year !!. I was pleased to see that the restaurant remains authentic. The staff are very friendly & will translate the menu for you (as it is in Italian only). The food is delicious, especially the vegetarian lasagne & the crème brulee & it is still good value. What's not to like !!

One slight criticism - a young waitress (possibly a daughter) was under instruction & there was a disagreement. Maybe I should just put it down to the fiery Italian temperament but it would have been better out of hearing of customers even though I couldn't understand what was said. Mind you it still didn't change my feelings about the restaurant itself.

As we were staying elsewhere on a half board basis we only had the opportunity to have lunch, but over the course of our 3 "week long" holidays we still managed to eat here 6 times. I believe that speaks for itself !!

• Visited August 2013