“A little Jewel”

Ranked #39 of 62 Hotels in Riva Del Garda
Naas, Co. Kildare
“A little Jewel”
Reviewed 23 September 2013

A nice compact little hotel. Bedroom good with nice facilities and veranda. Nice diningroom with good breakfast and great evening meal! Nice swimming pool out back. The staff were very helpful and friendly during our 1 week stay. The only downside was - no lift!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
AlessandroLiberty, Owner at Hotel Gardesana, responded to this review, 30 September 2013
Good afternoon,

thanks a lot for your stay !
Appreciate a lot your review and your good score !

We don't have lift but we remember that Guest can ask
for low floor rooms if they have problem going with stairs

Thanks a lot

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
  • Hungarian first
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 September 2013

My wife and I have just returned from a week in the Hotel Gardesana. The trip was booked through the Travel Department. We had a choice of staying in a 4 star hotel in the centre of Riva Del Garda or the 3 star Gardesana, with a 15 minutes walk into Riva. The location was ideal, with a leisurely stroll along the lakeside taking you into Riva. Let me first get the negatives out of the way, there is no aircon and the bedrooms rooms are a bit on the small side. Now the positives - The bed was comfortable, the sheets were changed midway through our stay, the towels were change every day and the rooms were cleaned on a daily basis. The staff were polite and helpful. The breakfast buffet was pretty standard, with the usual selection of breads, cold meats and cheese etc but plentiful. I must disagree with a previous review regarding the evening meals. In my opinion, the dinners were excellent, with a choice of 3 starters, 3 mains and 3 desserts. I would like to make special mention regarding the gala dinner on the Friday night (*****). I have stayed in 4&5 star hotels and the food has not been as good. Any water or wine that was left on the table at the end of the meal was automatically marked with the room number and was on the table the following night. We were allocated a table with another couple and each night we were asked if we wanted our meal served or would we prefer to wait on our dinner partners (big "M" & 2 scoops). I thought this option was a nice touch, which we opted for each night.. The friendly atmosphere created by the staff, resulted in all the guests mixing well, resulting in a great holiday. We have, in the past resisted package holidays but following this weeks vacation, we will not hesitate to look for something similar in the future. If we have any friends who intend to stay in Riva del Garda, we would not hesitate to recommend Hotel Gardesana.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 55kelly55
Good afternoon,

thanks a lot for your stay and your review !
Will pass the message to all Staff and the kitchen Chef !

We are thinking to put for next year some ceiling fans,
for the summer period and I am sure will be a good improvement

East Linton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 September 2013

I spent a week at the hotel, travelling with the Travel Department. In most respects this hotel does what it says on the tin. The rooms are not luxurious, but they are pleasantly comfortable and clean - I was particularly impressed with the standard of cleanliness. While not exactly 'cordon bleu', the food is good, varied and plentiful. The staff are friendly, efficient and helpful, although having only one person to handle reception and the bar can result in delays in service at one or the other.
The main drawback in this hotel is its lack of air conditioning. When we arrived, the temperature was pushing 30 degrees and the absence of air con meant that sleeping was quite difficult given the high temperatures. This same deficiency resulted in the dining room being oppressively hot during the evening meal. It is possible to hire fans, but all a fan can do is to circulate hot air - they are no substitute for proper air conditioning. Having said that, this was the only disadvantage in staying at this hotel and I would certainly go back again.
Riva del Garda, at the northern end of Lake Garda, is a lovely place to stay and anyone staying there should take advantage of a day ticket for the ferry which allows you to visit other villages on Lake Garda.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
Good afternoon,

thanks a lot for your review !
Always nice to read how we can make people happy of their holiday !

Hope to see you again in the future
Thanks
Derry, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 September 2013

We booked our trip through the Travel Department and were allocated a double room in Hotel Gardesana. The hotel is on the outskirts of Riva set back from the main road and just a short distance to the Lakeside path . It has no lift (the only difficulty with this is carrying up the suitcases on arrival!) or air conditioning (we didn’t need a fan as it happens but why not just put them in the rooms free of charge!) We had a room (204) on the second floor with a small balcony with a table and two chairs overlooking the front of the hotel. The room was basic but very clean and overall the hotel is good value for money. Free wi-fi is available in the public areas as well as the rooms. It is a pleasant walk from the hotel to either Riva or Torbole
The food was good, breakfast is typical continental buffet style with juice, cereal, cold meats, cheese, yoghurts, toast, bread rolls and plenty of jams, honey, etc. to choose from and dinners were fine with a set menu of 3 different choices each day and there was a gala dinner one evening which was very nice. Breakfast was provided much earlier on our last day to accommodate our early return to the airport. The staff are friendly and helpful and very fluent in English and they seemed to enjoy the friendly banter with our table of 6 mad Irish people! There is a lovely garden with (cold but refreshing!) swimming pool to the rear of the hotel.
We will hopefully return to Lake Garda, would happily stay in Hotel Gardesana and would not hesitate to recommend it to our friends..
Travel Department are also to be highly recommended. The one minor gripe we would have was the distance of almost 3 hours from Milan Airport to the hotel by bus was a bit tiresome. We enjoyed 4 trips organized by the Travel Department and they were all excellent. Laura our tour guide was very friendly, helpful and had a great sense of humour and Mario, our driver, ensured that all journeys were safe and comfortable.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Tee C
AlessandroLiberty, Owner at Hotel Gardesana, responded to this review, 3 September 2013
Good afternoon,

thanks a lot for your review !
Appreciate a lot that you enjoyed your stay with us,
the Travel Department and our town !

Really hope to see you again with all friends :)

Thanks a million
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 September 2013

I stayed 2 nights on a buisiness trip. For conveniance I ate dinner at the hotel the first night and what a disappointment. As if it's come from a packet very bland and I could have done better than that myself. The breakfast is ok even if the buffet doesn't have a huge amount of choice. I noticed they had some live music in the lobby on the Friday night, clearly targetted at the senior citizens staying at the hotel.

The single room I stayed in was very dated and there were stains on the sheets.... I also noticed that the daily houskeeping just makes the bed but doesn't clearn the room.

Staff are generally very friendly and they managed to help me check out at 5 am and get a taxi at this time and the night porter even instsed in making a coffee for myself and the taxi driver, how stereotypically Italian :)

The hotel is however very cheap so I suppose you get what you pay for. With clean sheets I would have givenit 3 stars!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
Good afternoon,

sorry to read your review about our kitchen,

Everyone is always very happy about our restaurant,
but of course everyone have different point of view !

Sorry regarding the room sheets, you can tell that to
hotel reception and they will change them straight

Anyway all rooms are cleaned daily, not only changing towel
and sheets, maybe you were in a hurry about the business.

Co Cork
Reviewed 16 August 2013

My husband and myself stayed in the hotel late July and it was very hot however you can rent a fan at reception for €1per night - I would strongly recommend. First impression was that the hotel was basic but quite adequate.
However my first impression changed to delight due to the excellent service we received from Davide the manager who is so efficient (seeing is believing) and the excellent food we enjoyed throughout our stay especially Gala night.
I would highly recommend the hotel for location, food and service and would like to say a special thanks to Davide for giving us a table for 2 which I requested on the first night.
I would love to know why he changed us to a different table on a few occasions though!!!!

Room Tip: Rooms at the back overlooking the pool are cooler in very warm weather.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank tyrone_8
AlessandroLiberty, Owner at Hotel Gardesana, responded to this review, 26 August 2013
Good afternoon,

thanks a lot for your comment !
I will give your message to Staff and Davide,
they will be 100% happy to read it !

I really don't know why he changed the table,
but you can email hotel and ask him directly : )

Thanks a million
Dublin
Reviewed 15 August 2013

Spent a week in the Hotel Gardesana with two others, twin room is compact with small balcony with enough room for about two chairs, bathroom was also on the small side but clean and towels changed and room cleaned daily. I was there the first week in August and it was unusually hot weather, there are fans available to hire from reception but no air conditioning which would be the only gripe I'd have.

As an extremely fussy eater, I was expecting to go hungry for most of the holiday but I can't praise the dining room staff enough, especially Davide, who arranged alternative meals if there was nothing on the menu I liked, so don't be afraid to speak up if there is nothing on the menu for you.

Lovely pool and garden to the rear for the days you just want to take it easy. Just a few minutes walk to the lake and an easy stroll along the lake for about 10-15 mins will lead you into the main town.

There is an ATM/Bank and supermarket very near. Receptionists are very helpful to explain bus/ferry time tables and places of interest near by. Would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Rooms to the Front and Side are closer to main road so can be a bit on the noisy side if you keep yo...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank tazcorp
Good afternoon and thanks a lot !

Happy to read that you enjoyed your holiday in our
hotel, Riva del Garda and near us !

We are waiting you for another relaxing moment !

Thanks
#19 of 62 in Riva Del Garda
LakeFront Hotel Mirage
LakeFront Hotel Mirage
#16 of 62 in Riva Del Garda

Been to Hotel Gardesana? Share your experiences!