“Not sure why people are complaining!”
Review of Hotel Royal

Ranked #50 of 62 Hotels in Riva Del Garda
Somerset
“Not sure why people are complaining!”
Reviewed 9 May 2009

Recently returned from a stay - also through Leger. Not sure where all the complaints below have come from.

Firstly - star ratings on the continent are different to what we're used to in the UK. Their standards are lower - remember that it was not rated by Leger but by an Italian tourist company (hence the stars on the hotel's sign).

Secondly I want to address the food issue. As our English tour guide (who's lived in Italy for 30years) pointed out to us - any food you get is as a result of many years of foreigners going over and asking for omelette's. Italians (especially hotelliers) are aware that many people visiting their country don't want to eat Italian food - heaven knows why someone wouldn't want Italian food!!!!! They are trying to cater for us but don't understand what WE eat - hence the rather bizarre food choices some nights. Still I don't think many people could complain having a 4-5course meal served for them every night. We certainly didn't experience anything re-heated or re-served. Everything looked pretty fresh and, as a vegetarian, I'm normally the first to complain about food but the staff were lovely and made me pasta without meat and omelette's if I wanted one.

The staff are lovely and speak very good English. They're also super-efficient.
Our room was comfortable and spacious (2 single beds to form a 'double' and another single bed if we wanted to utilise it). TV with CNN and a sports channel after 6pm. Nice view of the mountains. Very good location for town and the lake. Residents also have the option of using the Health and Wellbeing Centre at the nearby Hotel Oasi.

I honestly have no complaints although meat-eaters would complain that they didn't understand what was being served to them. Which I guess is fair enough but the hotel does a nice tiramisu!

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank queenmedusa

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Pattaya Thailand
Reviewed 23 April 2009

Stayed here with Leger holidays having paid a single room supplement of £139. On arrival thats what I got, a single room with a single bed. When I complained to the receptionist the reply was straight out of Fawlty Towers, "but its got a lovely view". About 20 minutes later I was given another room which was the same size but with a double bed which restricted any movement in the room. The room could have done with a lick of paint and the shower screen was broken . I don't know how this hotel was given four stars. Prior to arrival we had stayed at the Holiday Inn Express in Rheims which had a French classification of two stars and was far superior to the rooms at this hotel. From Looking at the latest from Leger, they are now describing it as a 3 star hotel. Perhaps they should go down even further. On the plus side. It is in a very good location, the staff are very friendly and helpful but it doesn't make up for the overall standard. Beware of eating in the hotel on a Friday. Its all fish dishes most of which is carp (anag).

• Stayed April 2009, travelled solo
2 Thank KeithfromPattaya
Stockport, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 April 2009

I agree with the reviewer below on most points. These include the breakfast (yes the eggs are cold and have black in them) and the dinner. How many ways can the food be re - served the following night. Left overs were put into a salad the following evening. (Including fish!) We had pork every night apart from one. The food is served buffet style and is cold and tasteless.
Yes the walls are very thin.

Want to go on a diet then go to this hotel as you certainly wont eat much. Some people did not even visit the dinning room after the first two nights.

The good points very clean. Very friendly staff. Beds very comfortable The location is only a 15 min walk along the lake to the centre.

• Stayed April 2009
2 Thank MrandMrsPoynton

Travellers are raving about these Riva Del Garda hotels

Preston, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 October 2008

Reading through the last reviews of Hotel Royal, Riva del Garda, I can only assume that there must be two hotels going by this name! Believe me, I was not happy. It's not a 4*, more like a 2.

I booked a single room through Newmarkets holidays, and I will not be travelling with them again. I do not believe I spoke to a single person on my flight who actually got the hotel of their choice on initial booking. They all ended up in different hotels in different resorts and none of them were impressed either. Listening to some of their stories, i got away lightly!

I was allocated Room 1 on the first floor which was a teeny tiny single the size of a shoebox. This room is next to the stairwell so through the apparently wafer thin walls I heard everyone coming upstairs to bed anytime between 10 - 11pm (there's nothing else to do), and getting up around 5.30 - 6.30am in readiness for their coach trips. Consequently I had little sleep. Compounded to this was the continual humming and crunching of some far off building works commencing at 8am.

TV is on the ceiling and only ~English speakig channel is CNN news

Newmarket holidays - First thing I asked the rep was for a change of hotel, and this was asked every day but only met with "none available".

Breakfast - hard boiled eggs which were luke warm. I still do not understand why they had dark circles around the yolk ~ I leave that to your imagination. Very hard and dried up scrambled eggs muslie, corned flakes, a variety of cold meats (least said), or yoghurt. I decided that safest thing was a roll and jam.

Why was the coffee machine never switched off? When did they throw the old coffee away and clean the machine?

Bonus - tea, coffee and biscuits served 4 - 5pm prompt (if you are late you will be told) It's luke warm anyway.

Food. After the second day I began playing a game - how could the left over food be recycled? Why did I loose 4lbs in weight? Drinks are quite expensive. Beware soft drinks cost 4euros whereas a Baileys only costs 3.50euros. Best to buy a bottle of wine at 12euros and save what is left till the next day.

Water at mealtimes - the tap water is drinkable. But if you ask for tap water with your meal you will be refused. Instead you will be offered a flutted bottle of their 'water'. I asked if this caraf of water was from the tap (it was 2euros and I would imagine only held about 800mls if that) and the response was "from the machine". Being rather amused at this response i asked if this "machine" was called "a tap". This was met with an embarrased snigger and that "he only worked there". Shame, poor man.

You are NOT alowed a kettle in your room. The hair drier is one of those welded to the wall vacuum hoses and is totally ineffective.

Irons - none allowed in rooms. I phoned down to borrow an iron and would told that I would have to go to the laundry. Immediately my estimation of this hotel went up. "Ooooh, you have a laundry here in the hotel - where?". but oh no, you have to go out into the town, search out a laundry (did not see one), and use one there ~ if there is one. I have never heard of this before, especially in a so called 4* hotel. I was told it was, firstly illegal which was changed to health and safety.

Whoever said it was only 15 mins to walk into town, must have ran all the way. It took me a good 20 - 25mins at a brisk pace to reach what would be called the centre.

Having said all this, Riva itself is delightful when compared with many other villages on lake Garda.

Beware - it can be very cold with a chilling wind in late Sept. I along with many others, had to go and buy warm clothing.

Good Luck

• Liked — clean
  • Disliked — not a 4* more a 2*
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled solo
2 Thank rosiemc
rochester
Reviewed 30 September 2008

Just returned from this hotel, after reading other reports was rather dreading staying at this hotel, however I was pleasantly suprised..The food was good, rooms clean, and staff very friendly, I did find the rooms rather small but as there were excursions every day bar 1 all we used the room for was sleeping. I am not the type to go on holiday to spend all my time in and around the hotel, as there is too much to do and see.

The hotel is situated close to the lake and 15 min walk to the main town so really it was ideal. September is a good time to go as there are less crowds in and around the place and weather was in the low 70's throughout the whole week however the eveinings did get chilly so a light jacket is a must.

• Liked — food clean
  • Disliked — size of room
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank sheralynRochester
kent
Reviewed 18 September 2008

Spent a week here as part of a Leger coach party in Sept 08 and was more than pleased with the hotel.
We were a bit doubtful at first after reading all the negative reports about the Royal but as far as we were concerned it was1st Class.
Good choice of food and the staff were very friendly.
Our room was very clean and comfortable, towels changed every day if needed.
Very close to the foreshore of lake garda which was also a plus point.

• Stayed September 2008
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank rochesterpeople
Fife Scotland
Reviewed 12 September 2008

We booked our stay through Newmarket Holidays. We arrived in the early hours of the morning after a long journey from Scotland. Our room was lovely, it was a family room although there were only two of us. There was food laid out to welcome us and a carafe of drinking water. The staff were delightful and nothing was too much trouble. The evening meals were plentiful, I am vegetarian and there were always lovely fresh salads and pastas, there was varied meat and fish dishes for the non veggies. Our room was spotless as was our shower room, towels were changed daily and soap and shampoos were replaced daily. There were mountain views and our balcony looked over mountains to the left and right and an olive groved hillside straight ahead. It took minutes to walk to the lake which was lovely. The hotel is in a quiet location away from the busy centre but still within walking distance. We could not fault the holiday from start to finish and we would go back to the Hotel Royal without hesitation.

• Liked — The friendly and helpful staff and the short distance to the lake.
  • Disliked — There was nothing to dislike in our opinion.
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank LizFifeScotland
#44 of 62 in Riva Del Garda
Centrale Hotel -- Riva Del Garda
Centrale Hotel -- Riva Del Garda
#42 of 62 in Riva Del Garda

Been to Hotel Royal? Share your experiences!