“Marvelous beachside old-school hotel”
Review of Le Dune Hotel

Le Dune Hotel
Ranked #6 of 9 Hotels in Sabaudia
Reviewed 22 April 2013

Stayed in April which gave us the run of the place as their busy season is summer. Cold water (swimable for the bold) but gorgeous emptyish beaches, tiny waves and a fine hotel with thick walls, old spanish-style architecture and an attentive staff. Use the bikes to explore the lengthy beach road and bask in the comfort of a by-gone era. A terrific place to recharge, regroup and prepare to continue on from.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the ocean pay a premium - ours did not but looked towards the range of mountains eastwa...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Steve M

Reviewed 29 September 2012

This was our second time staying at Le Dune and we loved it as much as the first time. The location is amazing, the staff are so helpful Emanuelle at reception was really nice. I would advise getting a room with a sea view. We will be back

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank ecantwell24
Reviewed 28 August 2012

It was a romantic return to Le Dune Hotel - last visited in 1981 in the first heady year of our marriage. This beachside hotel close to Anzio is a favourite for Italian families seeking a retreat from the heat of Rome to the heat of the Ionian Sea. During the 31 years since our last visit the hotel has added a swimming pools, meeting rooms, an even better restaurant, and eccentricities of its own that means it can only be Italy. A theatrical experience is never too far away and some of the eccentricities are pure John Cleese - "don't mention the Germans round here" as memories of the World War II Anzio landings are still fresh and war cemeteries are immaculately maintained. It started with Boris and his family at Gatwick queuing up democratically like the rest of us with the Boris nose buried in a book. A cheery wave of recognition for my high powered partner seemed a great omen. On arrival - the first theatrical experience. The sea view for 50 euros a night more was actually abour 5 per cent sea and 95 per cent bushes and treets blocking the light. She wasn't in the best of moods. Miraculously, a new sea view room with real sea was offered two days later and the 50 euro charge waived for the first two nights. Next the beach captain told us we only qualified for the third row of deckchairs but could graduate as the days passed to the front. A similar hierrarchy applied in the restaurant where maitre d' Antonio told us we could only dine in the second row for the first two nights and not have the immediate view of the setting sun and rising moon. Finally, on one night after dinner we found that the only functioning bar at 9 p.m. had run out of red wine - surely a bit like the song about the pub with no beer. You need some Italian to get by at the Le Dune Hotel as not many staff speak English - I guess that's part of the charm. Putting on the high powered woman about town approach has limited impact in what is the mezzo giorno region of Italy. Back in England these memories have faded into nostalgia rather like the first year of our marriage when my Italian was much better than it is now.

Room Tip: Negotiate and don't accept a sea view room that has only a 5 per cent vision of the sea
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank JohnnyMagnificent
Reviewed 6 June 2012

We stayed here in May, we really loved the views from our balcony,we were looking into the sea,amazing. it took us less than 15 minutes to walk into Sabaudia. the staff were very nice. We will go back again.

Room Tip: Book a room with a view of the sea, it's extra but worth it.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank ecantwell24
Reviewed 21 May 2012

It is a big hotel located on the well known beach of Circeo. I was in May 2012 and I found the rate quality/price quite good. Rooms are large, the furniture is spartan. Breakfast is not so rich but enough.
The swimming pool is small and pleasant. The beach is clean, but I have some doubts about the quality of the water.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with balcoon an a sea view.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank gianniz1947
Reviewed 24 September 2010

My partner and I stayed at this hotel for 3 nights in July. We caught the train from Rome to Latina and then paid 70 euros for a taxi from Latina train station to Hotel Le Dune. The cost of the taxi fare was substantial but we were keen to get to the hotel and were not familiar with the coach services in the area. Also we were informed on the hotel's website that they provided a shuttle to Rome's Fiumicino Airport.

On arrival to the hotel I enquired about how we could book the shuttle for the day of our departure and was shocked when the hotel receptionist informed me that their 'shuttle' was actually in reality a taxi which would cost 150 euros one way!! If I had known this beforehand and not been misinformed by the hotel's website I would never have dreamed of staying here and paying such ridiculous transport prices. Especially when other hotels offer a genuine shuttle service for a reasonable price. Instead on the last day we caught a coach back to Latina train station saving over 100 euros this hotel was trying to rob off us!

The hotel itself was not anything to write home about, considering it stands in a beautiful location. The standard of cleanliness was high and some of the rooms and outside garden areas could be described as 'quirky' but the decor and furnishings were extremely dated. The bathrooms are in a DESPERATE need of a makeover! This hotel really needs to move with the times.

The swimming pool is set facing the beach and we relaxed there during the days of our stay. We would have used the private beach that this hotels promises it offers to its guests. However in their brochure it fails to mention that in order to use the hotel's private beach you have to pay an additional fee!!! Not exactly included in the price you pay for your stay then! (as the brochure states) Needless to say I wasn't willing to pay extra just for 2 benches on the cramped area of the beach! Instead we lazed by the pool and enjoyed the sun and breathtaking views of Sabaudia.

Below the swimming pool is a bar that serves drinks and food. This place is horrendous and the hot food served were actually ready meals! They even serve it to you with the film still intact over the dish so we can peel it off ourselves at our own leisure! So all in all the food provided during the day was shockingly awful! Even though the staff behind the counter were friendly.

In the hotel's brochure it states that guests can enjoy a full continental breakfast included in the price of their stay. So I was very disappointed to learn that if you wanted toast or eggs or any other hot food, you had to pay extra! Never in the whole of Europe have I been asked to pay extra for hot food. Hardly a full continental breakfast! This hotel was becoming a joke. We made do with cereals, orange juice and coffee...

One night we decided to try the hotel's restaurant to eat in the evening. I was wearing a smart t-shirt, three quarter length trousers and sandals. On arrival to the restaurant I was turned away because I was not wearing trousers and shoes! I could not believe that for all the money I was paying for my stay I was being turned away for the sake of wearing three quarter length trousers and sandals! It's hardly the Ritz for God's sake. We walked away in disbelief and went hungry for the night. What great service!

I decided to complain (1st time I've ever needed to in all the hotels I've stayed in) but the staff at the reception were very unhelpful and instead tried to justify their actions! They clearly don't care about their guests and adopted a very much 'like it or leave it' attitude.

I seriously and strongly recommend to anyone that they DO NOT stay here. The hotel is only interested in conning money out of you and does not provide the services they say they do without having to pay ridiculous additional prices. I'm sure as soon as new hotels are built in the area this one will fade away to nothing. But then when Hotel le Dune treat the guests the way they currently do they only have themelves to blame for when this inevitably happens. It's a shame because Sabaudia is a beautiful place and does not deserve a hotel like this to spoil its beauty. I refused to let this hotel have the satisfaction of spoiling my overall stay in Sabaudia but would never in my wildest dreams stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
11  Thank jimbobmth
Reviewed 11 March 2009

We booked a "suite" which cost a fortune and turned out to be pretty spartan and quite shabby. The worst thing was the food, which was almost inedible. I thought it was impossible to find really bad food in Italy, but I've just been looking in the wrong places!

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kay53
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sabaudia
Oasi di Kufra
#5 of 9 in Sabaudia
Circeo Park Hotel
Circeo Park Hotel
#2 of 7 in San Felice Circeo

Been to Le Dune Hotel? Share your experiences!