“Good budget hotel”
Review of Pension Derby

Pension Derby
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Sauze d'Oulx
Pension Derby
Ranked #12 of 14 Sauze d'Oulx B&B and Inns
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Good budget hotel”
Reviewed 6 November 2012

For a 2 star budget hotel it fits the bill. Good location, the ski bus stops outside, 10 minute uphill walk to the Clotes lift. Yes, the rooms are basic, but functional and mine was clean enough. Usual budget breakfast including rolls, cheese, ham, fruit, youghurt, tea/coffee. i didn't see much of the staff after the first day, I think they work behind the bar. The adjoining bar is a good one, open fire/TV's etc, cosy rather than lively. I did hear some noise from out side a couple of nights, but hey, it's a ski resort. There's a great take away in the market square across from the Derby bar, a chap called Marco, you can buy freshly cooked chicken along with great veg dishes, not your usual take away grease, lovely freshly cooked food befitting a restaurant. I liked the Derby bar and will return, no single supplement, if you want posh then pay more money.... Tim

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
6 Thank Timmy231

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 July 2012 via mobile

We stayed in the hotel Derby for a week in January. There was a fairly large group of us staying and we found each room was very varied. It was a bit of a lottery as to what room you got the key to. Me and my partner were very lucky and had a bacic twin room with a new bathroom. A few of the others however were not so lucky. Regardless of what room you are in the hotel itself is unbeatable on price. I think we paid around £500 per person for b&b, lift pass, and carriage/ or hire.

Breakfast was very basic, with only bread rolls, cold meat and fruit to choose from, but we didn't expect anything more for the price.

The bar downstairs was fairly lively early doors and then most people seemed to move on else where. We found ourselves in Paddys Bar most nights collecting drink stamps to earn free drinks. We also ate in there a few nights and were always happy with what we received.

Sauze itself is a rather lively place and Hotel Derby is pretty much in the centre, I heard noise two nights out the 7 but other than that I slept like a baby, possibly a mixture of being knackered from the slopes and plenty to drink in the evenings.

The shuttle bus stops across the road from the hotel but was always very busy, we prefered to walk most days as it was only a 5min walk to one of the main lifts. The skiing is great and the lift pass covers a massive area.

At the end of the day if you're going to stay in budget hotel then you need to exspect a budget service. For what we paid I thought it was great value for money.

• Stayed January 2012
3 Thank Alexa F
Wells
Reviewed 4 March 2012

I've just come back from one of the most amazing weeks on the slopes. So most of my enthusiasm is based around Sauz D'Oulx as a resort itself.
Im a 21 year old girl who came boarding on my own, and in all honesty I went for this hotel as it's 1- good value for money and 2- no single supplement.

THE HOTEL- I can agree with the comment below, the rooms are a tad dated, a little dark and a renovation wouldn't hurt. However this is for the single rooms (and there are only 2). I didn't hear any bad reviews from the others in the hotel so bare this in mind. The breakfast is great. Its enough, enough choice. Yes it's the same every day, but lets face it, do you make your self a different breakfast every morning, all I know is the toast is popped buttered and by the front door for when I'm late to work!

SAUZ D'OULX - A fantastic resort!! Its still got its italian feel and the italians won't let the Britts take over, which is great, in my eyes! The ski is amazing. Nice long red runs and the odd challenging run. The lift pass covers a huge amount of the area, so you can explore for miles. Including Montgenevre, France! (I did the organised coach trip to Montgenevre which Ill recommend).
the lifts - They do their job, get you up the mountain, so lets not complain. The queues are minimal and apart from the odd calf basher, the lifts work fine!

THE NIGHTLIFE - I came to the resort to party, go crazy on the tables and get in at ridiculous o'clock! There are some great bars and like minded people. However this doesn't mean this isn't the resort for you. Its not like magalluff or san antonio or anything, so don't be put off!

Its all down to preference and what you want out of your holiday. This was the hotel for me. Somewhere to rest my head, keep my clothes and brush my teeth, sorted! But if you want a more hotel based ski holiday, then maybe up the budget and go some where else!

If you're reading this because you're about to go to Sauz D'Oulx, I envy you. But have a great time, enjoy it!
Also, I take my hat off to the reps, they were great!

Happy holidays!!
x

Room Tip: Request a balcony, because not all of them have balconies. A low floor maybe too, as there is no lif...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
4 Thank Katrina W
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 February 2012

While the Neilson reps at Sauze were really hard working and did a great job, the Hotel Derby should not feature as a hotel with a top holiday provider. Although it has a quirky and reasonably pleasant bar downstairs, the state of the "hotel" is pretty dire. At best, it is a hostel. I stayed in the single room in the attic which was furnished with 100 year old junk while the bathroom hadn't been renovated for years. The place was also very noisy with sound wafting in from adjacent rooms as well as from the very loud bar next door. The breakfast was also very poor, served in a room that did not have space for all the guests, many of whom had to eat their food on the stairs. The staff was very indifferent to the needs of the guests and there is nothing like a permanently staffed reception. Lighting was also very sparse, whether in the rooms or anywhere else. I had to use my mobile phone light to illuminate the information on the notice board in the reception area. If the price for this accommodation was much less then fair enough, but for the price that it was offered, which wasn't that much less than much better places, you are advised to avoid it. Then again, if you just want a place to keep your suitcase and get some sleep, though this can be difficult given the noise, risk it. With its great central location in the middle of town, the Derby could be a great little hotel. All the owners have to do is to refurbish it to a satisfactory standard and offer some decent service. Surely this is not difficult to do.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Thomas Cook

4 Thank Greg301
Derbyshire
Reviewed 12 January 2010

I stayed at the Hotel Derby over New Year 2009 with a friend, travelling with Neilson. Having had to pick the cheapest accommodation we could find I have to say I didn't have particularly high expectations. However I was very pleasently surprised.

Although basic in furnishing the room was a really decent size and we had 2 small balconies as well. The bathroom looked fairly new and was probably the best I have seen in a small budget hotel like this. Again, a nice size with a decent shower. Ski storage is downstairs and there's a bus stop almost opposite which takes you to the chair lift. Beware though, they don't operate that frequently, probably every 20 mins and get very, very crowded at peak times.

The only slight downside was the breakfast, as it was a fairly mediocre offering. The only things on offer were 2 types of cereal, bread, fruit and some slices of cheese and ham. What was there was fine, it just depends what you're after.

I have given the review this particular title because, as the brochure states, it's certainly not suitable for families. There can be quite a bit of noise from the surrounding bars, and there were some lively young groups staying there, but we were usually out there in the thick of it so if you enjoy partaking in the apres ski then it certainly won't bother you.

The bar beneath the hotel is really nice - lots of wood, comfy seats and a log fire - and it's a really popular place, staying open till 1am. We also spent quite a bit of time in Vagabondis, just behind the hotel, which stays open till much later and always had a good band on. There were a good selection of others bars and clubs around too.

We had fantastic snow conditions whilst we were there and the ski area was massive, we barely even scratched the surface. It's certainly good for intermediates, plenty of really nice red runs.

All in all, Sauze was a great resort and Hotel Derby a very good, cheap base.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with friends