“Standard basic ski accommodation”
Review of Pension Derby

Pension Derby
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Sauze d'Oulx
Pension Derby
Ranked #12 of 14 Sauze d'Oulx B&B and Inns
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Standard basic ski accommodation”
Reviewed 20 February 2013

We stayed in this hotel February 2013 for a ski holiday with Nielsen and had rooms 14 and 15.

Room 15 was fine, it was spacious, twin beds fairly comfortable, had a nice hot shower but a bit scruffy round the edges as you would expect from a budget hotel. Our friends had Room 14 which was completely different!! 14 was ALOT smaller/cramped and the beds were uncomfortable (they described it as a park bench). So a bit of of a lottery for what room you get!
There was also housekeeping each day which was a bonus.

If you are a light sleeper, don't stay here! The hotel is extremely noisy throughout the night due to its central location. it didn't bother me personally, but others in the group found it hard to sleep. Its perfect for a group that will be enjoying the nightlife.

Breakfast was good for a budget hotel, we got there first thing most mornings and there was plenty of cereal, yoghurts, fruit, ham, cheese and toast with butter/jam.

There is a ski store, but not locked so if you have your own skis and want to make sure they are safe we needed to carry them up three flights of stairs to our rooms which was a bit of a pain.

The ski bus stop is right outside. In contrary to the last review we didn't have to wait long at all at the first lifts, but again we got up there early (9.30am approx.)

Overall, the hotel is what you expect - you get what you pay for. I didn't think this hotel was any different to other basic ski accommodation - if this is what you are used too and don't mind noise I would recommend it.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Rebecca173

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 January 2013

My wife and I booked a New Year Ski holiday with Neilsen. Hotel Derby is in one of the two big squares in the centre of Sauze and is above two busy bars and very near to several others. The hotel itself and the rooms fitted the description we had read - basic, clean and comfortable; the shower was bit temperamental but it usually provided enough hot water for a decent wash down. For several days breakfast seemed pretty good until the rolls and the muesli ran out - in effect breakfast was on a first come, first served basis and we were dissapointed that we could not get a cup of real coffee (it is Italy after all!) from the breakfast bar. We were advised that we could get a cup of tea on our final morning before we set of home but this turned out not to be possible. The main difficulty with the hotel was the constant and incessant noise outside. We could not claim to be in the 18-30 category and we can cope with a couple of very late boozy nights, but over the New Year Week the din outside the hotel was extremely loud and persistent, pretty much every night. The windows are not double glazed so the shrieking, chanting and singing along with the constant thud of fireworks and drums being played came almost undiluted into our room. If you are out every night until 4am in the morning this of course would not bother you.....on several nights we had to go to bed at 8pm knowing we would be woken at about midnight and then lie awake until 4am when we could go back to sleep (and get ready to rush for breakfast!) It became like torture and we realised we had made a big mistake booking the hotel as it was so central and also porous to noise. Maybe its only a big issue for some of the rooms in the Hotel; maybe its only an issue at New Year.

In respect of the skiing, Sauze d 'Oulx is not ideal for beginners looking to progress without the help of paid instruction. There is only a small number of easily accessible blue slopes, and these are very narrow (in contrast to the resorts in Andorra or the States). The other big issue with Sauze is that one of the main access points to the high mountains - and therefore other areas of the Milky Way - are only accessible though the Sportinia chairlift; the queues here usually required a 15- 20 mins wait - a really significant bottleneck that could take a couple of hours out of a days skiing on that mountain.

Room Tip: Get one away from the front of the hotel if you are a light sleeper
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Mark S
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 November 2012

For a 2 star budget hotel it fits the bill. Good location, the ski bus stops outside, 10 minute uphill walk to the Clotes lift. Yes, the rooms are basic, but functional and mine was clean enough. Usual budget breakfast including rolls, cheese, ham, fruit, youghurt, tea/coffee. i didn't see much of the staff after the first day, I think they work behind the bar. The adjoining bar is a good one, open fire/TV's etc, cosy rather than lively. I did hear some noise from out side a couple of nights, but hey, it's a ski resort. There's a great take away in the market square across from the Derby bar, a chap called Marco, you can buy freshly cooked chicken along with great veg dishes, not your usual take away grease, lovely freshly cooked food befitting a restaurant. I liked the Derby bar and will return, no single supplement, if you want posh then pay more money.... Tim

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
6 Thank Timmy231
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 July 2012 via mobile

We stayed in the hotel Derby for a week in January. There was a fairly large group of us staying and we found each room was very varied. It was a bit of a lottery as to what room you got the key to. Me and my partner were very lucky and had a bacic twin room with a new bathroom. A few of the others however were not so lucky. Regardless of what room you are in the hotel itself is unbeatable on price. I think we paid around £500 per person for b&b, lift pass, and carriage/ or hire.

Breakfast was very basic, with only bread rolls, cold meat and fruit to choose from, but we didn't expect anything more for the price.

The bar downstairs was fairly lively early doors and then most people seemed to move on else where. We found ourselves in Paddys Bar most nights collecting drink stamps to earn free drinks. We also ate in there a few nights and were always happy with what we received.

Sauze itself is a rather lively place and Hotel Derby is pretty much in the centre, I heard noise two nights out the 7 but other than that I slept like a baby, possibly a mixture of being knackered from the slopes and plenty to drink in the evenings.

The shuttle bus stops across the road from the hotel but was always very busy, we prefered to walk most days as it was only a 5min walk to one of the main lifts. The skiing is great and the lift pass covers a massive area.

At the end of the day if you're going to stay in budget hotel then you need to exspect a budget service. For what we paid I thought it was great value for money.

• Stayed January 2012
3 Thank Alexa F
Wells
Reviewed 4 March 2012

I've just come back from one of the most amazing weeks on the slopes. So most of my enthusiasm is based around Sauz D'Oulx as a resort itself.
Im a 21 year old girl who came boarding on my own, and in all honesty I went for this hotel as it's 1- good value for money and 2- no single supplement.

THE HOTEL- I can agree with the comment below, the rooms are a tad dated, a little dark and a renovation wouldn't hurt. However this is for the single rooms (and there are only 2). I didn't hear any bad reviews from the others in the hotel so bare this in mind. The breakfast is great. Its enough, enough choice. Yes it's the same every day, but lets face it, do you make your self a different breakfast every morning, all I know is the toast is popped buttered and by the front door for when I'm late to work!

SAUZ D'OULX - A fantastic resort!! Its still got its italian feel and the italians won't let the Britts take over, which is great, in my eyes! The ski is amazing. Nice long red runs and the odd challenging run. The lift pass covers a huge amount of the area, so you can explore for miles. Including Montgenevre, France! (I did the organised coach trip to Montgenevre which Ill recommend).
the lifts - They do their job, get you up the mountain, so lets not complain. The queues are minimal and apart from the odd calf basher, the lifts work fine!

THE NIGHTLIFE - I came to the resort to party, go crazy on the tables and get in at ridiculous o'clock! There are some great bars and like minded people. However this doesn't mean this isn't the resort for you. Its not like magalluff or san antonio or anything, so don't be put off!

Its all down to preference and what you want out of your holiday. This was the hotel for me. Somewhere to rest my head, keep my clothes and brush my teeth, sorted! But if you want a more hotel based ski holiday, then maybe up the budget and go some where else!

If you're reading this because you're about to go to Sauz D'Oulx, I envy you. But have a great time, enjoy it!
Also, I take my hat off to the reps, they were great!

Happy holidays!!
x

Room Tip: Request a balcony, because not all of them have balconies. A low floor maybe too, as there is no lif...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
4 Thank Katrina W
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 February 2012

While the Neilson reps at Sauze were really hard working and did a great job, the Hotel Derby should not feature as a hotel with a top holiday provider. Although it has a quirky and reasonably pleasant bar downstairs, the state of the "hotel" is pretty dire. At best, it is a hostel. I stayed in the single room in the attic which was furnished with 100 year old junk while the bathroom hadn't been renovated for years. The place was also very noisy with sound wafting in from adjacent rooms as well as from the very loud bar next door. The breakfast was also very poor, served in a room that did not have space for all the guests, many of whom had to eat their food on the stairs. The staff was very indifferent to the needs of the guests and there is nothing like a permanently staffed reception. Lighting was also very sparse, whether in the rooms or anywhere else. I had to use my mobile phone light to illuminate the information on the notice board in the reception area. If the price for this accommodation was much less then fair enough, but for the price that it was offered, which wasn't that much less than much better places, you are advised to avoid it. Then again, if you just want a place to keep your suitcase and get some sleep, though this can be difficult given the noise, risk it. With its great central location in the middle of town, the Derby could be a great little hotel. All the owners have to do is to refurbish it to a satisfactory standard and offer some decent service. Surely this is not difficult to do.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Thomas Cook

4 Thank Greg301
Derbyshire
Reviewed 12 January 2010

I stayed at the Hotel Derby over New Year 2009 with a friend, travelling with Neilson. Having had to pick the cheapest accommodation we could find I have to say I didn't have particularly high expectations. However I was very pleasently surprised.

Although basic in furnishing the room was a really decent size and we had 2 small balconies as well. The bathroom looked fairly new and was probably the best I have seen in a small budget hotel like this. Again, a nice size with a decent shower. Ski storage is downstairs and there's a bus stop almost opposite which takes you to the chair lift. Beware though, they don't operate that frequently, probably every 20 mins and get very, very crowded at peak times.

The only slight downside was the breakfast, as it was a fairly mediocre offering. The only things on offer were 2 types of cereal, bread, fruit and some slices of cheese and ham. What was there was fine, it just depends what you're after.

I have given the review this particular title because, as the brochure states, it's certainly not suitable for families. There can be quite a bit of noise from the surrounding bars, and there were some lively young groups staying there, but we were usually out there in the thick of it so if you enjoy partaking in the apres ski then it certainly won't bother you.

The bar beneath the hotel is really nice - lots of wood, comfy seats and a log fire - and it's a really popular place, staying open till 1am. We also spent quite a bit of time in Vagabondis, just behind the hotel, which stays open till much later and always had a good band on. There were a good selection of others bars and clubs around too.

We had fantastic snow conditions whilst we were there and the ski area was massive, we barely even scratched the surface. It's certainly good for intermediates, plenty of really nice red runs.

All in all, Sauze was a great resort and Hotel Derby a very good, cheap base.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with friends