Pension Derby
Hotel Assietta(Sauze d'Oulx)(Great Value!)
US$91
US$87
Petit Bed & Breakfast(Sauze d'Oulx)(Great Value!)
US$92
Ciao Pais(Sauze d'Oulx)
Hotel Edelweiss(Sauze d'Oulx)
Hotel Miravalle(Sauze d'Oulx)
TripAdvisor
Hotel Gran Baita(Sauze d'Oulx)
  • Breakfast included
Park Hotel Gran Bosco(Sauze d'Oulx)
Hotel Biancaneve(Sauze d'Oulx)
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsderby barfits the billbudget hotelearly nightcomfy seatswater pressurewe've stayedghost barminute walkamandasleepermarchrunsskiinglift
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 20 February 2013

We stayed in this hotel February 2013 for a ski holiday with Nielsen and had rooms 14 and 15.

Room 15 was fine, it was spacious, twin beds fairly comfortable, had a nice hot shower but a bit scruffy round the edges as you would expect from a budget hotel. Our friends had Room 14 which was completely different!! 14 was ALOT smaller/cramped and the beds were uncomfortable (they described it as a park bench). So a bit of of a lottery for what room you get!
There was also housekeeping each day which was a bonus.

If you are a light sleeper, don't stay here! The hotel is extremely noisy throughout the night due to its central location. it didn't bother me personally, but others in the group found it hard to sleep. Its perfect for a group that will be enjoying the nightlife.

Breakfast was good for a budget hotel, we got there first thing most mornings and there was plenty of cereal, yoghurts, fruit, ham, cheese and toast with butter/jam.

There is a ski store, but not locked so if you have your own skis and want to make sure they are safe we needed to carry them up three flights of stairs to our rooms which was a bit of a pain.

The ski bus stop is right outside. In contrary to the last review we didn't have to wait long at all at the first lifts, but again we got up there early (9.30am approx.)

Overall, the hotel is what you expect - you get what you pay for. I didn't think this hotel was any different to other basic ski accommodation - if this is what you are used too and don't mind noise I would recommend it.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Rebecca173
Reviewed 15 January 2013

My wife and I booked a New Year Ski holiday with Neilsen. Hotel Derby is in one of the two big squares in the centre of Sauze and is above two busy bars and very near to several others. The hotel itself and the rooms fitted the description we had read - basic, clean and comfortable; the shower was bit temperamental but it usually provided enough hot water for a decent wash down. For several days breakfast seemed pretty good until the rolls and the muesli ran out - in effect breakfast was on a first come, first served basis and we were dissapointed that we could not get a cup of real coffee (it is Italy after all!) from the breakfast bar. We were advised that we could get a cup of tea on our final morning before we set of home but this turned out not to be possible. The main difficulty with the hotel was the constant and incessant noise outside. We could not claim to be in the 18-30 category and we can cope with a couple of very late boozy nights, but over the New Year Week the din outside the hotel was extremely loud and persistent, pretty much every night. The windows are not double glazed so the shrieking, chanting and singing along with the constant thud of fireworks and drums being played came almost undiluted into our room. If you are out every night until 4am in the morning this of course would not bother you.....on several nights we had to go to bed at 8pm knowing we would be woken at about midnight and then lie awake until 4am when we could go back to sleep (and get ready to rush for breakfast!) It became like torture and we realised we had made a big mistake booking the hotel as it was so central and also porous to noise. Maybe its only a big issue for some of the rooms in the Hotel; maybe its only an issue at New Year.

In respect of the skiing, Sauze d 'Oulx is not ideal for beginners looking to progress without the help of paid instruction. There is only a small number of easily accessible blue slopes, and these are very narrow (in contrast to the resorts in Andorra or the States). The other big issue with Sauze is that one of the main access points to the high mountains - and therefore other areas of the Milky Way - are only accessible though the Sportinia chairlift; the queues here usually required a 15- 20 mins wait - a really significant bottleneck that could take a couple of hours out of a days skiing on that mountain.

Room Tip: Get one away from the front of the hotel if you are a light sleeper
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Mark S
Reviewed 6 November 2012

For a 2 star budget hotel it fits the bill. Good location, the ski bus stops outside, 10 minute uphill walk to the Clotes lift. Yes, the rooms are basic, but functional and mine was clean enough. Usual budget breakfast including rolls, cheese, ham, fruit, youghurt, tea/coffee. i didn't see much of the staff after the first day, I think they work behind the bar. The adjoining bar is a good one, open fire/TV's etc, cosy rather than lively. I did hear some noise from out side a couple of nights, but hey, it's a ski resort. There's a great take away in the market square across from the Derby bar, a chap called Marco, you can buy freshly cooked chicken along with great veg dishes, not your usual take away grease, lovely freshly cooked food befitting a restaurant. I liked the Derby bar and will return, no single supplement, if you want posh then pay more money.... Tim

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
6  Thank Timmy231
Reviewed 1 July 2012 via mobile

We stayed in the hotel Derby for a week in January. There was a fairly large group of us staying and we found each room was very varied. It was a bit of a lottery as to what room you got the key to. Me and my partner were very lucky and had a bacic twin room with a new bathroom. A few of the others however were not so lucky. Regardless of what room you are in the hotel itself is unbeatable on price. I think we paid around £500 per person for b&b, lift pass, and carriage/ or hire.

Breakfast was very basic, with only bread rolls, cold meat and fruit to choose from, but we didn't expect anything more for the price.

The bar downstairs was fairly lively early doors and then most people seemed to move on else where. We found ourselves in Paddys Bar most nights collecting drink stamps to earn free drinks. We also ate in there a few nights and were always happy with what we received.

Sauze itself is a rather lively place and Hotel Derby is pretty much in the centre, I heard noise two nights out the 7 but other than that I slept like a baby, possibly a mixture of being knackered from the slopes and plenty to drink in the evenings.

The shuttle bus stops across the road from the hotel but was always very busy, we prefered to walk most days as it was only a 5min walk to one of the main lifts. The skiing is great and the lift pass covers a massive area.

At the end of the day if you're going to stay in budget hotel then you need to exspect a budget service. For what we paid I thought it was great value for money.

• Stayed: January 2012
3  Thank Alexa F
Reviewed 4 March 2012

I've just come back from one of the most amazing weeks on the slopes. So most of my enthusiasm is based around Sauz D'Oulx as a resort itself.
Im a 21 year old girl who came boarding on my own, and in all honesty I went for this hotel as it's 1- good value for money and 2- no single supplement.

THE HOTEL- I can agree with the comment below, the rooms are a tad dated, a little dark and a renovation wouldn't hurt. However this is for the single rooms (and there are only 2). I didn't hear any bad reviews from the others in the hotel so bare this in mind. The breakfast is great. Its enough, enough choice. Yes it's the same every day, but lets face it, do you make your self a different breakfast every morning, all I know is the toast is popped buttered and by the front door for when I'm late to work!

SAUZ D'OULX - A fantastic resort!! Its still got its italian feel and the italians won't let the Britts take over, which is great, in my eyes! The ski is amazing. Nice long red runs and the odd challenging run. The lift pass covers a huge amount of the area, so you can explore for miles. Including Montgenevre, France! (I did the organised coach trip to Montgenevre which Ill recommend).
the lifts - They do their job, get you up the mountain, so lets not complain. The queues are minimal and apart from the odd calf basher, the lifts work fine!

THE NIGHTLIFE - I came to the resort to party, go crazy on the tables and get in at ridiculous o'clock! There are some great bars and like minded people. However this doesn't mean this isn't the resort for you. Its not like magalluff or san antonio or anything, so don't be put off!

Its all down to preference and what you want out of your holiday. This was the hotel for me. Somewhere to rest my head, keep my clothes and brush my teeth, sorted! But if you want a more hotel based ski holiday, then maybe up the budget and go some where else!

If you're reading this because you're about to go to Sauz D'Oulx, I envy you. But have a great time, enjoy it!
Also, I take my hat off to the reps, they were great!

Happy holidays!!
x

Room Tip: Request a balcony, because not all of them have balconies. A low floor maybe too, as there is no lift! (even though lower will be noisier)
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo