“Fantastic hotel, shame about the beds.”
Review of Grand Hotel Besson

and 1 more site!
Grand Hotel Besson
Ranked #15 of 31 Hotels in Sauze d'Oulx
EDINBURGH
“Fantastic hotel, shame about the beds.”
Reviewed 9 February 2014

The only fault was the uncomfortable bed and pillows. Both felt like they were made out of hard rubber and I was woken in discomfort several times per night. Only one of the couples in our party had a comfortable bed and it was a round one. Apart from that the hotel was excellent. I couldn't give and excellent mark because a comfortable bed is so important. Especially on a ski holiday with aches and pains. The staff were very happy and friendly, the restaurant and bar staff (Rene) especially. The spa was lovely, the rooms and hot water were lovely and cosy. The food in the restaurant was very good - you could tell they really cared about standards. I would definitely go back but only if I was assured a comfortable bed..and would check before I put my suitcase in the room! Someone in our group remarked it felt more like a big chalet than a hotel and I think that is a great description of the warm, personal ambiance.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
  • Polish first
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 February 2014

Lovely hotel with panoramic view from the front facing rooms and restaurant over the Alps. Ideal location only a short walk to town centre.
Hotel bus required to get to/from slopes which operates constantly between 0830-1030 and 1500-1700hrs. Don't think I ever had to wait more than 5 minutes on it.
This is my tenth ski holiday and without a doubt the restaurant it the best I have experienced. For dinner, four courses are provided from a combination of buffet and waiter service. Staff are professional, friendly, polite and efficient. Great selection of Italian food.
Bar area modern and very comfortable.
I have read critical reviews of the hotel spa from over a year ago and I can only conclude that it has since been refurbished. Spa is very luxurious. Large warm pool for relaxing in, large sauna, steam room, outdoor Jacuzzi and best of all is a darkened room, dimly lit in green lights with a warm saltwater pool. Lie back in the water here, rest your feet on the steps with your ears just slightly submerged and listen to the relaxing music piped under the water.
Large ski room provided in basement.
Rooms can be very warm. There is a heating control on the wall which appears basic but I failed to figure out how it worked. Played about with it but it didn't seem to make any difference. Do what I did and turn radiators off at valves otherwise room will become stifling hot.
Room we had was basic but adequate. Bed mattress quite hard and only a sheet, blanket and small flimsy pillow provided. Would have liked more luxurious bedding.
Wouldn't have hesitated in giving this hotel five stars if it wasn't for one thing. Noise!
The hotel has a lift and part of the lift shaft ran through our room resulting in us having to endure the rumble and clanking of the lift machinery whenever it was in use. Hotel was fully booked and staff were unable to offer an alternative unless we paid a supplement for a front facing room which came with a view. During the week the lift noise was not such a major issue overnight as it was rarely used during the early hours of the morning, however over the weekend it was a problem when there seemed to be more persons coming and going through the night, checking in and out.
Floors in rooms are wooden and there was no one in room above us until the early hours of our last night when I was woken by a case being dragged across the floor and then someone stomping around in hard shoes. Could also hear other residents phones and alarms going off early in morning. Some selfish residents also checked out very early one morning and dragged their case on wheels down every step of the hotels marble staircase. I had to contain myself not to get up and remonstrate with them.
Spoke to another resident who commented on how quiet his room was. However he had a room at the end of the corridor and not next to lift shaft or staircase. If you are someone who sleeps soundly then I suppose the issues I have highlighted above may not affect you. However quality of sleep if the most important factor I seek when staying in a hotel.
Hotel was perfect in every other was though. Should really blame the architect I suppose for not considering residents peace and quiet when designing it.

Room Tip: Request a room that is not adjacent to lift shaft or staircase for some peace and quiet.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank MidgieMan
Reviewed 6 February 2014

We stayed at this hotel between 26th Jan and 2nd Feb 2014. This was our first hotel skiing holiday and we were very impressed. We booked through Thompson/Crystal which was also very good.
Check In - we arrived on an early flight so room wasn't quite ready but we were able to store luggage and we were very well looked after in the comfy bar/lounge area.

Room - 209 - the room was only small but then there was only the two of us. Bed was circular but comfy. Heating in room was reduced on request. Nice bathroom. All clean and serviced every day. Fridge and balcony.

Staff - all the staff were extremely friendly and professional throughout including reception, restaurant, bar, cleaning and maintainance. We needed an adaptor for our DVD player and the staff were so helpful in sourcing one. Nothing seems to be too much trouble.

Restaurant - we were very impressed with the restaurant. It was well above our expectations. Breakfast was a buffet which included hot bacon and eggs, cold meats and cheeses, cakes, bread and pastries, fresh fruit selection, yogurts and juices. Superb! Dinner started with a massive buffet selection of cold and hot entreés (which would have sufficed as dinner for us) followed by a selection of 4 starters and 4 main courses from the menus (fish and veggi options included) and then a large sweet buffet selection. We ate so well all week and thought the food was fantastic.

Bar - the bar was well stocked and staffed with friendly staff. The prices were reasonable for a hotel. The lounge has comfy seating with fantastic views of the mountains and a big roaring open fire. There are English magazines and TV screen.

Spa - what a treat!, large warm spa pool, steam room, sauna, hot mineral music pool, outdoor hot tub as well as staffed spa treatments available which we didn't use.

Location - we appreciated the slightly out of town and quiet location. It takes about 4-5 minutes to walk to town and is a picturesque walk. It's less than a mile to Sportinia lift. The hotel provide a free shuttle bus which runs from around 9-10.30 every morning and 3 - 4.30 every afternoon. The journey takes about 2-3 minutes and the driver is friendly and helpful and was always there as and when we needed the ride. If you do end up in the town at the Clotes lift it a very short and pleasant walk back through town even with ski boots.

Summary - Brilliant - Book It! - We'll be back !!

Room Tip: A room at the front of the hotel with a view
Wales, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 February 2014 via mobile

So we returned, as we previously stayed 20-27th Jan 2013, and this year 19-26th Jan 2014.
Check in this year was much smoother than last, we did try and request the room we had the year before (401) but we weren't given it. In the end that worked out better for us, (201), as we didn't have to walk up four flights of stairs after a hard day of skiing.
The rooms are good, clean. As other reviewers have said you control the temp of the radiators but that was not a problem for us, it's very straight forward to use. The only niggle with the room was our shower head needed changing. Water would come out of everywhere and it was so powerful (even on the less powerful setting) and when your pea smuggling (very cold, if you get what I mean) you felt like they were getting blown off with the pressure, HA!
They had a small tv up on the wall which only played Italian TV, nothing English at all, that's not an issue though.
Our room was at the end of the corridor, which is why we requested it, was lovely and quiet, no disturbance at all from other guests.
The food.. Perfect. I am fussy. But I was open minded as I knew what to expect from last year and I was pleased every night. Breakfast, you get scrambled egg, bacon, mushrooms, hams, cheeses, toast, pastries, yoghurts, cereals, juices, etc. By the time you come back from your day of skiing, the menu will be up on reception, you get a buffet of salads etc and the 3 courses. I could not complain. And the waiters couldn't do more for you, they'll try to accommodate your needs, if you don't like it, it's not a problem at all. There more concerned about you.
There is a free mini bus up to the sportina lift, 8am-10am, and then back 3pm-5pm, which is perfect. We used that everyday as you clearly can't walk up a long winding hill to the lifts. It takes a 3/4min drive though.
Or you can walk through town and catch the coltes lift, which we did on our last day so it was easy to drop our skis off on the way back.
The spa.. My partner and I questioned if the spa is owned or run by the hotel? We did use it every night, although we weren't best pleased with the cleanliness. I felt unclean on my feet, the pool wasn't as clean as it should be, the ladies changing rooms were cold, wet, not lit. The windows & sauna door , you could see smudge marks of hands and dirty water.
The floor, was dirty needed a mop. The spa staff didn't seem to do ANYTHING. I think the spa needs a good clean, it is a spa after all where cleanliness should be perfect. A lot of guests did use it. I probably would use it again, but since last year they've made lots of improvements I hope that when and if we return the spa will be something that will be cleaner.
It would make the hotel fully deserving of the 5 dots above.
The lovely man who works on the bar, he was there last year was so so sweet. He couldn't be friendlier.
The hotel works on a tab basis. Be careful, as it can tot up quickly without you realising. Pint of beer is €6, coke €2.50, water €2.50. We didn't have any wine so we weren't sure on the prices.
Even though the spa was a let down this year, we're already thinking about going back next year.
As far as skiing is concerned this is perfect.
The skiing in sauze, the "Milky Way" is great for beginners, intermediates and there's a lot of off pistes. Experts, there is a lot of blacks and challenging things to do around.
We booked with crystal. If we can avoid crystal next year we will. Poor service from the reps. Once we saw them which was they visited the hotel for the welcome meeting, and then on the last evening a rep was having dinner with a couple. There all young kids, and I wouldn't class them as professional. They have a new system where you have to find them, in certain pubs/hotels/lifts at certain times, which we did twice at the correct time and place and told by the servers in the pub that they left 10mins ago, which was 20mins before the time that was written on the sheet. You can also text them, which we did, cost us. We didn't receive a text back and then our bus was late when being picked up to go back to the airport and the rep told the Italian bus driver she was hungover... Lovely.
We got treated differently as we booked our ski passes and hire independently. It worked out a lot cheaper and there service was much better. But according to them what we had done was wrong.
Shame from Crystal.

All in all. I would return to Gran Besson. Skiing standards it a 4* and you can't complain about much. Lovely staff. Nice to chill out after a hards day skiing.
Hope to be back next year.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Lemonade92x
Hook, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 January 2014

Room 109 has round bed and quality furniture. Very clean and has french doors to go outside but not the greatest of views
Some way from the slopes and uphill but don't worry the hotel have a courtesy bus that takes you up there and the fella will be there upon your return
Bar area and lounge - very comfortable and airy and you can even sit around the open fire. Bottles of wine range from 20-30euros a bottle. Good selection
Food - absolutely loads of it, very delicious and very experienced, pleasant waiting staff
Ski store - large room with lots of space
Spa area - an absolute treat including hot tub, small swimming pool to relax and massage those muscles under the running taps rather than swim, floating pool, steam room and sauna. Not forgetting the lounger/beds to have a kip once youv'e finished with a glass of bubbly. Bring a towel along otherwise they will charge you 5euros to use theirs.
Free WIFI in most places around this lovely hotel even outside
All staff were very attentive, smart and very polite. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay
Lovely small town to stroll through. Irish Bar was the liveliest with a live band on occasions.

Room Tip: Choose 1st floor rooms as you can use stairs and lift. Lift not that big.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 January 2014

Have just returned from a fabulous 5 day break in Sauze with my husband and the wonderful hospitality in this hotel contributed to a holiday to remember. The only reason this review isn't rated excellent is because the bed in the room was a little uncomfortable but I can't fault anything else.
The room was wonderfully warm and cosy and cleaned immaculately everyday. On arrival we noticed our shower head was a bit leaky and within moments of mentioning this to the delightful lady on the front desk (Francesca) a polite and very efficient repair man was in our bathroom to replace the full unit. No request was too big or too small for the hotel staff, bar staff, waiters/waitresses and front of house was hospitable, polite and went out of their way to really make us feel special.
The food was prepared beautifully with a lovely variety of food at the breakfast buffet and fantastic value for the evening meal. The buffet of deliciousness was a bellyful on it's own and certainly was delicious.
The hotel has beautiful views and is within a comfortable distance of the town and slopes. I would certainly recommend a stay at this professional, warm and friendly hotel.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 308 although there wasn't much of a view ( a couple of trees) it was pleasant.
St Tudy
Reviewed 29 January 2014

I cannot find fault with our stay at this hotel. From the moment we arrived until the moment we left we were made to feel very welcome and nothing was too much trouble. We stayed in a standard room 204 which was perfectly adequate. Yes we did have to adjust the radiator as it was very warm and turn off the heated towel rail but better to be too hot than too cold. Amazing views from the rooms and so quiet the beauty of being out of town. Yes there was noise from other residents but generally everything went quiet from about 2300hrs. The Spa was so good after a long hard days skiing. The mini bus worked well. I would recommend storing skis at the top of the lift as then you can walk back through town in snow boots. The absolute highlight of the hotel is the food absolutely deliciousness!!! Dining in the evening was a real pleasure. The staff were very attentive and the food superb. The bar area was very comfortable my only criticism was the screen for music and football. A personal thing but I am not a fan of football and I would much rather listen to music rather than watch a music video. A short walk and you are in town and Sauze is very pretty with a mixture of old and new. Overall the hotel was very relaxed and friendly and I would recommend it to anyone who appreciates good food.