“Bad experience in Royal Hotel San Remo”

Royal Hotel Sanremo
Ranked #2 of 43 Hotels in Sanremo
Reviewed 4 June 2014

Terrible experience. Hotel service and most of the people were with an arrogant atitude.
To print out my traveling ticket for my flight i had to wait a lot of time, they didn't help me as they should have to they just sent me in a room where internet wasn't working correctly. Hotel it self was very old and not renovated for example, TV didn't work, their own beach place wasn't open. There were only private beaches and most of them weren't even cleaned up.... we found a lot of rubbish there. There are many things i would like to notice to others but this was really a nightmare for me and my friends during our trip and i wish to nobody to feel the same as we did...even for internet we had to pay a lot which is unacceptable for us. After all this Hotel has a nice view but it's the only good thing they have.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
7  Thank Tiit K
There are newer reviews for Royal Hotel Sanremo

Reviewed 20 May 2014

San Remo is quiet in May, but beautiful weather, great service in a top hotel made this break unforgettable! Especially enjoyed the gym and spa. Staff were friendly, nice atmosphere in the bar area. A lovely, old fashioned, yet up-market establishment. Definitely one for a long weekend escape!

Room Tip: A sea view with balcony is a must!
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank TheRealMrsJones
Reviewed 14 May 2014

Old Grande Dame in San Remo, one hour drive from NCE International Airport.
Very warm welcome from Antonella at the reception desk. Decoration in the room is old but well maintained and matching with the hotel style. The pool is heated with sea water, and the pool's restaurant offer a smaller menu but with fresh grilled sea bass... You feel like you are in the old days with modern amenities and service. The only bad point is Wifi... no network at the pool ,and you constantly need to reenter the long password. Will definitely go back before the end of summer.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank NiceRiviera
Reviewed 1 May 2014

I have stayed several times here and always found the hotel very good. Staff are friendly and helpful.

Rooms do vary from excellent to good but I have never had to complain. For me the air conditioning could be turned on a bit earlier in the year when for Italians it may be comfortable but for we "northern types" it can get very warm in the bedrooms.

Food always excellent if a little expensive - as is the wine list!

As an occasional treat this place fits the bill and will go back!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 7 April 2014

I bet in the 1960s and 1970s this was an amazing place. I have never given a hotel a scathing review but this was something else.

First the good things:
A. the front of house staff are excellent. Very nice and always with as mile
b. it's got a great history (I would hope)
Unfortunately that is it

I have 2 young kids so booked a suite at 450 euros a night. I was told that the pool was heated and so the kids could swim. I show up to an empty shell of a pool with no water in it. Although that makes things not as much fun, you figure you can excuse it if everything else is great.

The room felt like it had not been redone for decades, the bed was like concrete, there is no mineral water in the room and it took my wife 20 minutes to get someone to pick up room service.

The kids had a playroom on the ground floor with loose wires hanging and wallpaper and paint peeling off the wall. The "playground" consisted of one roundabout so rusty it wouldn't turn. They had a mini golf area that could best be described as a health hazard...overrun with weeds and cacti.

The food was average and breakfast was ok if you like very very runny eggs. Oh..they only serve long life milk....

Basically. Everything pointed to the fact that they were desperately cutting costs and were trimming corners wherever they could.

They also have a 5star rating.,..how in gods name I don't know. This is a 3 star hotel at best.

They average ago of the guests during our stay was around 70...so I guess at that age you complain less????

Avoid at all costs

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
9  Thank Adrian E
RoyaHotelSanRemo, Direttore generale at Royal Hotel Sanremo, responded to this reviewResponded 28 April 2014

Dear Mr. Adrian E,

I kindly refer to your review on Tripadvisor concerning your recent stay at the Royal Hotel Sanremo from April 4th to 7th.

First of all I would like to thank you very much for the preference given to our property.

I much appreciate your taking time and trouble to share your opinion.
I am aware that leisure time spent by travellers is very precious and that first class treatment, very high level of comfort, luxury, professional service and genuine hospitality are expected by them during their holiday experience.

We continuously strive to meet our guests’ needs and expectations and their comments are very important to us and always welcome, being useful to improve our standards and service and an attempt to assist us in ameliorating our critical aspects. They are also taken in due evidence for our maintenance, restyling and renovation works which are regularly carried out during our seasonal closing demonstrating our commitment to continuously improve our level of comfort with a blend of tradition and renovation

I express my sincerest apologies and regret for any inconvenience occurred and discomfort you felt during your holiday.

Examining in details the negative points you put in evidence, you mentioned the swimming-pool. Please consider our 27°C/82°F heated outdoor sea-water swimming-pool is regularly open every year starting from the first ten days of April till the end of the season, depending of course on weather conditions and outside temperature on which unfortunately we have no control.

As for the suite n. 337 you were assigned, it was completely renovated in 2009. Regarding your comment about service, rest assured that, when necessary, appropriate measures are taken to make the employees realize how much important are efficiency and attention to details and to improve their attitude.

With regard to the children’s playroom on the ground floor, a restyling has been planned among our future works.

About your criticism concerning food which is in your opinion average, I assure you that many other clients appreciate it and find it first class in our three Restaurants. With regard to the milk in particular, please be informed that according to the Italian regulations on hygiene we are not allowed to serve fresh milk.

In your feedback you state that our policy is that of simply cutting the costs and getting profit. Your judgment is not correct because since 2007 we have been investing considerable amounts of money each year to update our facilities and equipment for keeping our “142-year-old property always young and appealing”.

Referring to our rating, I kindly let you know that, after the reviews of our clients, our score on Tripadvisor reaches about 92% being among the top-ranked hotels in our area and that we have been receiving the Certificate of Excellence since 2010. With Boooking.com we received the certificate too, while with the Leading Hotels of the World, which runs the inspection by a “mistery guest”, our score at the last inspection of July 2013 was 81.5%. In addition to this, team trainee courses are regularly carried out with more than 4,200 hours per year.

Finally, you mentioned the average age of our guests. They are of all ages and they are all welcome at the Royal Hotel Sanremo. During the summer season we have around 50-60 children under 12 years per day. The average age of our clients is 43 and they express their compliments or complaints in the same measure. The only difference is that elder clients prefer to use traditional systems such as writing a letter or just speaking personally with me while they are here and I am pleased to be always at disposal and to offer my assistance.

It is a pity that you didn’t express any clear evidence and complain of your dissatisfaction during your stay and unfortunately you didn’t enable me and the staff us to examine and clarify the problems directly, showing you all our care and willing to fulfil your expectations. We are, like everybody, not perfect and, as some negative aspects can arise despite our efforts, we appreciate to handle them in an assertive way.

Anyway, please believe that I am truly sorry about your feeling of disappointment concerning your holiday at our property.

I would therefore be honoured to welcome you again among our valued guests, should you have another opportunity to travel to the Italian Riviera of Flowers in the not too distant future and consider to give us the chance. We will do the utmost to make your stay with us most enjoyable and we will be delighted to offer you a complimentary dinner for two at our Restaurant to show you our special attention, wishing that you will appreciate this.

In the meantime, I thank you again for sharing your experience and, feeling confident that my explanation clarifies our position, I wish you a good continuation of the season and I send you my best personal regards,

Marco Sarlo

Reviewed 15 March 2014

We arrived today and have been upgraded to a sea view suite which was just renovated last year. The room is very spacious with a large bedroom with king bed, a dressing area and a separate living room. The bed is comfortable and the wifi works very well. We have been very impressed with all the staff from the front desk to the dining room. Tonight we had dinner in their main dining room and it was excellent. My only comment is that the main dining room does not have any ambiance at all, but the food is first class. After dinner there was a pianist playing in the bar and he was very good. So far this hotel has surpassed my expectations.

Room Tip: If u can get upgraded to sea view or a suite it would be recommended.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 February 2014

Uno dei migliori Hotel nel mondo! Excellent hotel.Friendly welcome . Highly professional staff. hotel is great , cosy and peaceful. rooms are very elegant . great swimming pool . ideally located ! No hesitation , we will go back again!.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple