“Beautiful unspoilt grand old hotel”

Hotel Miramare Continental Palace
Ranked #21 of 43 Hotels in Sanremo
Reviewed 4 April 2013

My wife and i stayed here for two nights in March "19th 2oth."
Although out of season the hotel still had a full staff that were wonderful and eager to help with anything we required,questions on sanremo and spoke very good english.We had a sea view with a balcony in the bathroom,i had a bath looking out to sea for the first time.How grande is that?
Hope they never modernise this building its got bags of character and great ambience.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank maxine007
Miramare P, Front Office Manager at Hotel Miramare Continental Palace, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2013

Dear Sirs,

Thank you for choosing our hotel and for your stay at Sanremo trust that has met your expectations.
Confident to welcome you again,
Sincerely.

Hotel Miramare Continental Palace - San Remo Imperia Liguria

There are newer reviews for Hotel Miramare Continental Palace

Reviewed 20 October 2012

A magnificent nights stay in what must have been a very very swish hotel in the 1920's
We had a family suite, large airy and comfortable rooms.
Food was good, even two picky teenagers gave it 4 stars
Minus points:
Parking is difficult
The booking of a reservation for dinner was somewhat farcical, the front desk & the maître d'hôtel obviously did not communicate

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank beachcomber633
Reviewed 18 October 2012

I stayed at Hotel Miramare Continental Palace for 10 nights for a business trip with 12 colleagues. This hotel is an old castle from the 1800′s, overlooking the beach, and just a short walk from the center of town. When we first checked in, my boyfriend and I were given room #110. It was a fine size for one person, however a bit of a tight squeeze for two. It certainly wasn’t anything I would rave about (apart from the view), but it didn’t displease either. The view was absolutely gorgeous – looking straight over to the ocean with the tops of palm trees perfectly blocking the view of the road in between. The only problems were that there was no air-conditioning and no internet. After paying €50 for a week of internet access (which actually means a weeks worth of login time – not just “buy now and expire in seven days regardless of how much you use me” – so right now after a week, I’ve still got over five days of usage left) I couldn’t actually access the internet from my room, and had to sit on the couch in the hallway outside my room. When in town for business, this is a slight problem, so I asked the front desk if they had another room available with a better signal. Let me tell you – this was the best thing I could have done to turn my experience at this hotel from upside down from OK to AWESOME. We were given room #310 which is about 50% larger, with air-conditioning, a larger bathroom that has the most beautiful double doors that open out to a balcony with the view shown in the picture attached. There is something so special about having a balcony in the bathroom! I have never experienced this before – being able to open the doors while in the shower so that when you close your eyes it feels as though you’re having a shower on the beach as you hear the waves crashing and the birds chirping while standing under the faucet. It’s the ultimate way to wake every morning. The Internet was still terrible, but that's just Italy. We bought a portable WIFI device from Vodafone instead.

While I haven’t stayed at any other hotel in San Remo, I easily recommend this hotel – provided that you receive a spacious room! It’s well priced, a basic continental breakfast is included, lovely hotel staff and a beautiful feeling of stepping back in time. My boyfriend stayed at the plush Royal Hotel last year, and he loved it, although it is about three times more expensive and he was really happy with Miramare this year as a cheaper alternative.

My biggest warning: one of my workmates was placed in room #207 which is like a bed squashed into a closet. I’d imagine back in the day this was the “servants bedroom” as it is less than half the size of the two above-mentioned rooms, her makeshift shower was a curtain in the corner of the bathroom, with a tiny handheld-style mirror being her sole mirror in the entire apartment (my room has a floor to ceiling mirror, as well as two other huge mirrors). Her own breath was stronger than the hairdryer and she had no air-conditioning! So I warn that your experience in this hotel is heavily dependent on the room that you receive. Don’t be afraid to make requests when booking – it will make all the difference. While my workmate understandably hated it, I’m absolutely in love with it!

Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 8 October 2012

After coming from a 5-star hotel in Cannes, I was expecting a downgrade. But oh boy. this is the smallest hotel room I've ever been in. It was lacking some very easy things I think. No gym. Breakfast is a cold continental. But mostly the problems are within the room. My room was extremely tiny. I could barely walk around in there. The shower was gross. Just a corner with a curtain. There was no mirror in the main room so I had no where to get ready every day. There were no nightstands or lamps. There were no free plugs. The internet was horrible although you can expect that everywhere in Italy. It was very loud all the time. You can hear everything. There was NO AIRCON. I was pretty much hot the entire time.
I was traveling with several other people and saw their rooms. Many of them seemed quite lovely. I think I got a very bad room. Consequently I looked at my room on the Fire Escape map and it is half the size of the rest. I will include a picture.
Also we arrived at noon and were not allowed to check in until 2pm. We started work at 2pm and had come from working all night so this was frustrating. I understand if you arrive at 9am or something but I was shocked they could not accommodate us at noon.
There are tons of hotels in San Remo. If I came back I would chose another or ask no to be in room 207!

Room Tip: DO NOT GET 207!!! And maybe a sea view is best.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank 4projectmayhem
Reviewed 1 August 2012

We stayed in the hotel on our way to Cinque Terre, it was clean, quiet and reasonably comfortable, the breakfast was good. Biggest issue, the 3 hour bike rental included in our night was unavailable due to lack of working bikes, the 3 they had all had flat tires! Very disappointing as San Remo's bike path looks gorgeous,

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 July 2012

We had a groupon voucher for this hotel and that was the only reason to come here. For the price we paid it was very reasonable. I would have never paid the original price theys ask nor I think it is worthed. The staff are extremely friendly and helpful. The food is correct. But don't try to by an extra as you will pay too much: 10€ for 6 hours of wifi but almost no signal and only working at your level or another example 17€ for a half litre of white wine and a liter of mineral water. Our room was not yet revated (understandable with our groupon voucher) and I can expect the other renovated site of the hotel as worthful.
It gave me the same feeling as whole Sanremo: a past glory.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 April 2012

We stayed 3 nights at this hotel, and found it to be excelent. the breakfast was very good and it was ideally situated to take the free bikes supplied by the hotel onto the cycle path along the sewa front. It was a liitle way out of the town centre - approx 10 mins on foot, and 15 mins on foot to the railway station, but other than that the hotel could not be faulted. Rooms were generous and ours had a sea view which was fantastic. It was priced slightly higher than we normally pay, but we mamanged to get a late deal through one of the booking hotel agencies.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a sea view
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple