The hotel looks grand if not a little weathered and in need of a lick pf paint on the outside (especially the shutters which could do with a nice bright colour to jazz them up a bit)...the welcoming from reception staff was warm and friendly and we were escorted to our room and shown in and they checked whether we were happy with bed config etc, so all nice touches with the personal service. I was a bit unsure of the room on arrival, high ceilings, old furnishings etc and not my usual cup of tea as I probably normally go for a bit more chic and modern or faux retro rather than actually ancient!...but on the plus side the rooms were large and clean (apart from the dust bunnies that blew off the top of the huge wardrobe when we opened the window!) and all was comfortable and friendly in the hotel.
Over the 5 nights we stayed at this hotel and in San Remo the nostalgic charms and the history and former elegance and grandeur of this hotel and resort really won me over. The hotel itself and staff I can a liken to The Grand Budapest Hotel film (if you've seen this quirky film you'll know what I'm talking about and I mean this in a good way...!). Service at the bar was kind of on request through reception as it seemed to be manned by the same staff members (Manuel?!) and breakfast was served in a rather grand room overlooking the beautiful palm tree filled grounds (perfect for sunbathing in the afternoon sunshine!). Breakfast was the usual continental buffet and all very tasty and well organised. We also sampled an evening meal at the hotel one night and very tasty it was too although a little hard to explain what we wanted to the non English speaking restaurant staff, however hand gestures and pointing went a long way to ensuring we got the meal, bread and wine that we wanted. Plus it is an Italian resort so I did not expect the staff to speak English and I would recommend taking a phrase book with you to help with the language barrier. Nothing was too much trouble for all staff though, they served us drinks at our sun loungers, helped us to speak with an Italian coach driver over the phone (as they could translate easily for me!) and ensured we had early breakfast on request (as we had to leave the hotel fairly early for business on a couple of mornings). The hotel was also just down the road from a coop supermarket and close enough to walk to the Grand Casino, Town Centre, Beach and the Old Town if you fancy the climb up through the winding streets, which we simply loved! The views from up the top over the city and bay are stunning. Plus the hotel provided us with a map and pointed out the routes to all the places we wanted to visit - Thank you!
I would return to this hotel or one of the others in the little gem that is San Remo because the highly friendly and accommodating staff at the hotel and the overall charm and nostaligia of the hotel and resort really did catch me off guard when I realised I had come to love it and I did not want to leave.
Overall for the future I would recommend some update and upgrade of the rooms and facade of this hotel just to ensure she maintains her grandeur and appeal for years and generations to come.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Overlooking the beautiful beaches of the Gulf of Sanremo, in a lovely position on the seafront, The Hotel Miramare is surrounded by a beautiful park with palm trees and tropical plants. Adjacent to the famous Promenade "Imperatrice", it's connected to the beaches and the new bike path through direct access. The hotel (4 stars) has a large restaurant and comfortable rooms, that will make your stay in the Riviera of Flowers, pleasant and relaxing. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Priceline, Odigeo, Hotels.com, TravelUp, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Hotel Miramare Continental Palace reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Miramare Continental Palace Hotel
- Miramare Continental Palace San Remo