“Comfortable and relaxed stay”

Villa dei D'Armiento
Ranked #13 of 19 Hotels in Sant'Agnello
Reviewed 27 June 2012

Very friendly staff, clean minimalist decor, and good location away from the hustle and bustle of Sorrento made for a great 3 days. As a family of 4, we stayed in one of the two larger garden rooms detached from the villa. The Villa is very close to several good restaurants, and walking distance to Sorrento's port and the Sant'Agnello train station which made our day trips to Capri and Pompei very easy. We used the pool everyday and the Gardens are stunning. Full of fruit trees which you can pick an eat. The oranges were tasty. We were travelling by car, so it was great to use their secure parking area.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Felipe M
There are newer reviews for Villa dei D'Armiento

Reviewed 25 June 2012

I don't think I can say much that hasn't been said before. This is a beautiful building with stunning interior design. We had a deluxe room and it was lovely. The balcony was only really big enough to stand on and admire the outlook but who cares when the gardens and pool area are so beautiful and inviting. The room and bathroom were spacious. The bed was extremely comfortable.

The breakfast was fantastic - great choice and quality. The cappuccino was perfect for me - big cup, very hot. I could not fault the staff in terms of their friendliness and the service they provided. The Marinella restaurant which has opened very recently and is only 1 minute and a lift down from the hotel was brilliant in terms of food, service and value (well for the Amalfi Coast anyway!). I can only echo what the previous reviewer said about it. I think it is a real bonus for the hotel that this restaurant has opened as it is probably true to say there aren't other restaurants of this calibre close to the hotel. If you go there just remember you can't walk up the stairs after 2200 as they padlock the gate at the top. I'm scared of lifts and I found this out to my cost! The terrace cafe/restaurant 1 minute from the hotel has a wonderful view towards Sorrento but is probably best for just a drink as the food wasn't great.

In terms of location you are a fair walking distance from Sorrento so it is quite a chore to get there. This would undoubtedly bother some people especially as buses are unreliable and taxis are expensive but the advantage of this is that the Villa is a haven away from the chaos of Sorrento. One night when we couldn't face walking in after a tiring day trip to Capri the hotel booked us a restaurant beyond Sorrento on the beach where the restaurant provide a pickup service. We had a great meal there.

I would have to go out of my way to find fault with this hotel. I feel the reviewer who had lots of problems must have been staying somewhere else! The only thing I agree with them about is having to re-enter the wifi password repeatedly. I think it would be good if the hotel could resolve this. It is also true that the toiletries weren't replaced and this could readily be resolved.

I absolutely recommend this hotel. My only reservation might be the location. It was definitely not an issue for us but might be for some.

Reviewed 20 June 2012

After finding Villa dei D'Armiento online last year, I knew it was where I wanted to be when I hit 40! And it gave my husband and I the long awaited opportunity to revisit the Amalfi coast where we had our first holiday together over 20 years ago!

The Villa didn't disappoint! Beautiful building with absolutely stunning gardens and fantastic pool, and gorgeous reception rooms and kitchen/dining area both in and out... We stayed for 6 nights but so wished we could have stayed for more!

We booked the Terrace room at the very top, accessed by private lift entrance straight into the room... It was an incredibly memorable room as what it lacked in internal space was so made up for in external space! No fewer than three absolutely enormous terraces (and I mean enormous) surrounded the entire room, giving you 360 degree views of sea and mountains! breathtaking!... we just felt rather ashamed we couldn't spend more time on them! The garden and pool being so beautiful too!

I also loved the fact that there was only 7 rooms, so it felt very private and homely, we did see and chat to other guests, but it was an altogether non-intrusive experience and you could enjoy your own space.

Maria, Pierluigi and the staff at the Villa were really lovely - They were always there when you needed them and made you feel very welcome! Thank you for my birthday cakes too! :-)

Sorrento was a 20min walk away, and we did go there a few times, plus a trip to Positano by boat, but with the temperature at 90+ we were grateful for the cool pool and the shade of the palms in the garden!

We also discovered an absolute gem of a restaurant, La Marinella, on the waterfront, 2 mins away... Only recently renovated I think we were lucky that this hadn't been found by many yet!... We ate there the first night and were so totally impressed that I booked for my birthday night!... We ate there three times in six evenings! I would of happily eaten there every night!.. Food was amazing with huge attention to detail, stunning views over the water, fantastic staff in the form of Ernesto and Sandro who were not only very attentive but hugely entertaining! On my birthday meal I was even greeted with a huge bouquet of beautiful flowers and a hug from the very talented chef!

Overall we had a really relaxing short week away, our first in a very long time!... all in all I couldn't have asked for a more wonderful way to greet 40! Thank you! x

Room Tip: Terrace room for the most wonderful views!
Reviewed 18 June 2012

I stayed here on my honeymoon and it was absolutely perfect. The service was brilliant, friendly and charming throughout our stay. The breakfast was excellent, fresh and typically Italian. The rooms are spacious, clean and comfortable. The hotel is located in beautiful gardens just outside of Sorrento but there are a few very good value 'local' restaurants in the nearby villages. Sorrento is about a 20min walk away so this is not the best place if you want to be immersed in the town. On balance, I would strongly recommend this hotel. It combines charm and great service with excellent levels of comfort in a beautiful setting.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 June 2012

Book early because this hotel is fully booked many months in advance. The Amalfi coast is flooded with tourists so use hotel staff to make lunch and dinner reservations - we always got the best tables in restaurants. Lunch/dinner can be provided in house but need to be ordered in advance at breakfast - fairly basic fare so suggest walking into Sorrento. This small hotel has rooms spread over 3 floors (yes there's an elevator). Our Junior Suite was room 101 which boasted two large terraces, shower/ bath, king size bed, and very high ceiling. Only complaint is that the marble floors meant that we could hear guests walking around the room above and the Wi-fi required login details every time we used it.

Room Tip: room 101 is a junior suite and has two terraces, king bed, bath. Occasionally can hear people walki...
Reviewed 17 June 2012

I have been on my hooneymoon for 4 nights in this incredible Villa !!!! We have received a new room with all the conforts and private garden !!! The Villa has a beautifull garden with the pool and it's far only few meters from the beach and 10 minutes by walk from Sorrento center. The breakfast in the garden was great and rich of alternative. The staff is really friendly and help us to chooise the best place to visit and the best restaurant!!!!!!! We suggest this Hotel to all the people that are searching an encharming place with few rooms in a big space... :- ))) We will come back !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reviewed 12 June 2012

We stayed at Villa dei D'armiento for 6 nights during our honeymoon. I have to say our room and the hotel in general was stunning, the nicest we have ever stayed in probably. We stayed in room 101 and it was huge, I mean huge! We had two balconies, a seating area and a massive bathroom. It was perfect for staying in a hotel for quite a long period of time. It definitely felt like we were on our honeymoon!
However....we really did want to love this hotel but it just didn't do it for us. It was as if someone with an amazing eye for design has decorated and renovated this hotel but then the people that are running it really have no idea how to run a hotel of this standard. At times it felt like we were getting the level of service you would get in a budget B&B or hostel. At no time were the staff rude or anything, they were very pleasant, but just not the kind of service you would expect and generally there were a lot of areas for improvement. I guess we were/are just a bit disappointed that such a stunning hotel and location isn't fulfilling its full potential.
However I would highly recommend this hotel but just go knowing you're not going to get 5* service or treatment, this isn't a luxury hotel. But you also wont get the personal service and local knowledge I have experienced in similar hotels. It’s all just pretty basic and going through the motions.
- More specifically I gave the hotel directly the following comments with their replies directly afterwards.

Overall we found the recommendations for restaurants from the staff weak and didn’t fit with the clientele you are marketing to. We ate one night at the local restaurant you recommend and get the 10% discount at and the food was good but the actually restaurant was awful. The decor and setting was horrible – we felt like we were in an old people’s home with the TV blaring away. You should really only be recommending other establishments that you would be proud to represent and think your guest would like. If there really isn’t any good local restaurants to the hotel, say this and tell your guests to go into Sorrento. When the new young lady was recommending restaurants to us on the first night it felt like she was just reeling off the restaurants she had been told to promote rather than a genuine recommendation. Being a guest in Sorrento we want to get genuine recommendations from locals not be told the same thing we can find in a guide book.
D’armiento - “Il Capanno (restaurant with 10% discount), I know that isn’t beautiful but is the nearest restaurant and we suggest it for an “easy” lunch/dinner if somebody don’t have time to go away”

- Overall the service was helpful but nowhere near the standard I would expect for a hotel charging £250 per night. Often I felt bad having to ask for something as if I was being a nuisance. I’m not sure how you can improve this but I think out of everyone Maria was the most helpful and got the right tone but we did feel like we were an annoying guest in someone’s house rather than a guest being treated like a VIP.

- Breakfast was quite pleasant but again not really the standard I would have expected. Just little things like having to ask for juice rather than just having it out, and the cereal being from packets rather than having nice jars of them. The bread was also pre-packaged and would have been nice to have had some local fresh bread. Also some local jams and honey in bowels to help yourself to rather than pre-packed jars. I know we could have asked for eggs to be cooked but again I felt a pain to ask for this. It might have been nice to have had a small menu with a few choices for hot food that could have been made to order – scrambled eggs with bacon, poached eggs on toast etc. Some more fresh fruits would also have been nice or a fresh fruit salad using some of the oranges and grapefruit from the garden. Also the touch to have packets of biscuits and chocolates on the main dining room table is nice but again having these in packets and not particularly great quality products really counter-acts the nice thought in the first place. Instead a nicely set out refreshment station in the kitchen with tea and coffee with hot water, a jug of flavoured water or juice with a small selection of freshly made cakes or biscuits available to guests to help themselves to throughout the day would be a nice touch.

D’armineto - “I’m really sorry for your words: “Often I felt bad having to ask for something as if I was being a nuisance.... but again I felt a pain to ask for this”, but we try to give to our guests the “idea of home” so they can do many thinks by themselves or with our help. For example the juices are in the fridge in the morning to give a fresh juice and for igienic reason (to avoid for the juice pass from cold to hot many times).
Every breakfast of new guests we advise to ask us for juice, coffè...and eggs, we prefer to do it to avoid to put paper on the table like a classic hotel.”

- The wifi was REALLY annoying! The signal was really bad in our room getting mostly only 1 bar on the wifi but the most annoying thing was that every time you switched off your phone or it went to sleep, even for a couple of minutes you had to input your whole user name and password again – every time!! This doesn’t sound like a big deal but it really, really annoyed me and I’ve never seen this in any other hotel I’ve stayed in. You really need to find a system that remembers your details so you can log on at any time not having to re enter your details.
D’armiento – “About the wi-fi we have asked many times to change the issue but at the moment no good news...”
- As the TV channels for English speakers are so poor and limited to only news stations I was very disappointed to see that we would have to pay for films. Many other small hotels we’ve stayed in have a DVD player in each room and a selection of DVD’s to be able to borrow from reception. I think this would be a really great addition.
D’armiento - “Regarding the tv channel, we offer SKY channel that are the best company of tv channel in Italy with many foreign channel and the possibility to change the language in many channel from Italian to English.”
- When we arrived we had no towels in our room – pretty poor really. Generally the quality of the towels in the room was quite poor, especially when we found out the same towels are used by the pool. The robes in the room were also far too large for me and so large that I couldn’t really use it. We have stayed in a hotel recently where they had one small and one extra large robe in each room as standard and larger robes could be requested if needed.
D’armiento – “The towels are the same for room and pool because the laundry cannot help us on that...and the robe is big because it’s difficult to have them in more size.”

- Generally I was quite disappointed with the quality of the toiletries in the bathroom. I would have expected some really nice products but they are pretty standard and very small bottles as well, plus in the 6 days that we were there they were not replaced even though some of the items had been used.
No response from D’armiento
- It would be good if there was a call button or intercom at the pool to be able to get hold of someone at reception to be able to order drinks rather than having to go into the house in your swimwear to find someone.
No reply from D’armiento

Room Tip: We stayed in room 101 which was fantastic - 2 balconies, huge bathroom and great bedroom.
2  Thank Charliet
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sant'Agnello
Hotel Mediterraneo Sorrento
#11 of 100 in Sorrento
Alpha Hotel
Alpha Hotel
#6 of 19 in Sant'Agnello

Been to Villa dei D'Armiento? Share your experiences!