“A beautiful place to stay on the Amalfi Coast!”

Grand Hotel Cocumella
Ranked #11 of 19 Hotels in Sant'Agnello
Reviewed 28 June 2012

I stayed here with my husband and 3 adult children for the Amalfi Coast leg of our trip to Italy and we loved it! The hotel, being a former monastery, was so unique and charming and our rooms were spacious and comfortable with beautiful views of the Bay of Naples. The staff could not have been more accommodating--we particularly enjoyed the waiters at breakfast each morning. We were overwhelmed by the beautiful gardens behind the hotel and beyond that the breathtaking views of the bay from the veranda. Since we were only there for 3 nights, we only got a taste of all that the area had to offer (with Sorrento a 15 minute walk away), but would definitely go back and stay at this lovely hotel.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank BeepBeep6
There are newer reviews for Grand Hotel Cocumella

Reviewed 3 June 2012

After reading some of the reviews on Tripadvisor, I have to say that my expectations were quite low - especially concerning the disturbance weddings might cause during my stay.
The hotel is fantastic though! there was indeed a wedding taking place during our stay, but the staff works hard so that guest are not affected (i.e. they left our car ready to leave in the parking lot, which was full with the reception taking place). Service is extremely attentive without being intrusive, and they are keen on giving you advice on where to eat and booking tables in disputed restaurants.
Location: 5 min by car from Sorrento (you'll need a car to explore the Amalfi coast anyways).
Breakfast: I put on several pounds thanks to the wonderful breakfast, served French-style (instead of the buffet) in the pergola with views to the garden.
Building and rooms: the garden is extraordinary and feels really Italian. The pool does not have a sea view, but the orange trees surrounding it make up for that. Rooms were very spacious and comfortable - my only complaint would be that the showers lack pressure (can be annoying trying to wash off your sunscreen, but there's a pretty bath as well). Note that the decor includes antique furniture, which is not for everyone's taste (I like it though).

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
7  Thank Liz_Nogueira
Reviewed 20 May 2012

Just a couple of miles outside Sorrento we found this hidden gem through a recommendation and can now recommend it to others. A former monastery in the 16th century it was the first hotel in this part of the world and must have the best view of Naples bay of any of the many hotels here. Fabulous, established gardens with a lovely sheltered pool area, great restaurant and food ( the pasta is scrumptious and no good for those on a diet!). We were upgraded to a suite and have been told every room is different. Decor is traditional Italian although the terrace/conservatory restaurant has been interior designed very smartly and nicely. Service is excellent- efficient and unobtrusive. British Manager, Stephen, is extremely helpful and knowledgeable about the local area. A few good local restaurants.

Room Tip: Go for a sea view
Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank ollie1952
Reviewed 18 April 2012

The food in the restaurant Scintilla was amazing. We had as a starter, the special of the day, which was three prawns, cooked each one in a different way. The taste of each prawn was incredible. After that we had spaghetti with local fish ragout, this dish was also very good but maybe my least favorite from all we had, although it was very good as well. For some people it might be a little bit too fishy. And our third dish was a green asparagus risotto with a breaded sea-bream on top. As dessert we had a sample of several desserts. I have to say the menu is not very big and I thought they could have a little bit more choices, however I’m sure that if you don’t find anything on the menu that pleases you they will find the way to make your happy. In regards to the service I have to say that it was a little bit disappointing for a restaurant like this. All of the service staff was very nice and friendly, this was not the problem, it was just the little details that were missing. Let’s start when we entered the hotel, we were greeted in a very polite manner by the General Manager, by the Maitre D’ and by all the service personal. They all escorted us to our table…but no one took our jackets. Our jackets and scarfs were lying behind everybody’s chair for the whole evening. Now, if I’m in a pizzeria I don’t expect anybody to take my jacket, but in an establishment like this I believe that it is a must. No chairs were pulled back for the ladies when we sat down, we had to constantly remind them to refill our glasses with water or wine. In regards to the glasses, every time the Waiter placed wine glasses on the table instead placing them from the right side like he supposed to, he would put his arm in front of my face in order to place the glass for my table companion on my left side. He also would hold the glasses by the top of the glass (where you put your lips on) instead by the bottom. Another small think that I notice is that there was no bread basked to choose bread from. We got a regular bread roll (very fresh, warm and crispy I have to say) and no butter. I’m not sure if no serving butter with the bread is something that they do in this restaurant or they simply forgot. However, in most of the restaurant that I have been to (expensive and less expensive) they serve you butter or something else with the bread. This are all small details (some of them are simple service rules) that I would not care about if I go in a different type of restaurant, but here were we paid for 5 people over 700 euro I expect a little bit more attention to detail. Nevertheless it was a great evening and I would recommend this restaurant any time.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
4  Thank Bego75
Reviewed 31 October 2011

The Grand Hotel Cocumella was a unique experience. It's off the beaten path but worth it! We were upgraded for free to a full suite when we arrived and loved the incredible patio. The staff was attentive and personable. The breakfast was just right, and the restaurant on the terrace below was hip and delicious.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Rebecca H
Reviewed 12 October 2011

Wonderful old style property in a former convent with a big organic garden where they grow kiwis, bananas, oranges etc for th superbe breakfast buffet. Own little beach just down the cliff acessible by private lift. Very pleasant restaurant with many delicate fish dishes.
But th real plus is the most helpful and devoted staff, everybody was so helpful and efficient. Alitalia lost my luggage, the concierge called all over to finally find out where it was. Stephen has made a jewel out of this place. Great crowd from all over. Was happy to find Molton Brown toiletries in the large bathroom.
Will be back

Room Tip: I was in 219 overlooking th interior courtyard, very quiet
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
4  Thank RudyMB
Reviewed 24 September 2011

We were married in the Cocumella on July 8 2011. It was a magnificent event with not a single complaint. The service is superb, the food wonderful and the setting beautiful. Many guests are still commenting that it was the nicest wedding they've attended. Guido, the man who we dealt with, was very helpful and speaks good English (though he dealt mostly with my Italian wife.) If you have the budget, don't doubt that the Cocumella is a great choice for your wedding.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
3  Thank BCN-Force
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sant'Agnello
Hotel Mediterraneo Sorrento
#3 of 19 in Sant'Agnello
Grand Hotel Royal
Grand Hotel Royal
#21 of 100 in Sorrento

Been to Grand Hotel Cocumella? Share your experiences!