“Wonderful honeymoon”

Hotel Caravel Sorrento
Ranked #5 of 19 Hotels in Sant'Agnello
Reviewed 28 July 2011

The brilliant staff really make this hotel. Bar, restaurant, reception, & domestic staff were all really friendly & always helpful.
The food is lovely. Breakfast is a self-service buffet, as is the salad course of the evening meal. This is then followed by 3 courses served at the table (you choose your evening meal options at breakfast).
The room was quite small but had everything we needed. The great location more than made up for the small bedroom. It's a 3 minute walk to the sea & less than 10minutes to the centre of Sant Agnello, with bars, tabacs, & shops. Theres also a train station & bus stops if youre going off for the day. There's a frequent hotel courtesy that takes you in to Sorrento in less than 5 minutes. This is a lovely town in it's own right, & is also where you catch the bus/train/boat to anywhere else that you're planning to explore.
So in summary, a great hotel in a great location with fantastic staff. The facilities are good & we had a lovely honeymoon here. There is a supplement to pay if you want a balcony but there's a nice seating area outside which is lovely when enjoying the delicious house wine. There's also 2 roof terraces for sunbathing. The drinks prices are in line as other hotels & bars in the area.
Loved the hotel, loved Italy, loved the Italians...we'll definitely be back. Thank you Hotel Caravel!

• Stayed: July 2011
1  Thank LaurenSLT

Reviewed 27 July 2011

The hotel staff were very friendly and helpful. It was very easy to arrange for excursions through hotel's front desk. The hotel was very clean. We were on the half board plan and the food was amazing. Louigi, a waiter in the dining room, made our dining experience even more pleasureable. The location is perfect, just outside of Sorrento.
A great hotel at a great price.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank W00dbridge
Reviewed 26 July 2011

We stayed in the Caravel 15 years ago and when we returned it was if we only left yesterday the hotel staff were as friendly as ever, the rooms were very clean and when they found out we had stayed there fifteen years ago they sent to our room a complimentary basket of fruit with welcome home written on the card.

Touches like that make the Caravel a very special hotel to stay in, it shows they genuinely care about their customers.

Room Tip: upper rooms get the best view of sorrento
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Sunshine4701
Reviewed 24 July 2011

First evening, we asked a blanket (which was only a simple linen) from the night receptionist, because we dont' like to use common one. He answered very loud and angry (after finished his 5 minutes phone conversation with friends): " Sir, I don't care, it is not my problem, it is your problem, I don't have time for you". After 10 minutes argument we did get one (which was 10 second for him). No comment.
Anyway:
The room (superior double) was nice, but very small (double bed and 1.5 meters around). The view was excellent. The bathroom was also small and very poorly equipped. There were ants everywhere in the room. The room and the staff are clearly not 4 star!!! Strong 2 or average 3 star.
The restaurant was very good, food is excellent, waiters are helpful. Bad that we were not allowed to choose table, best tables were always booked for some ghost clients. Bar was excellent, pool and garden very nice.
Hotel is walking distance (~15 min) from Sorrento centre.

Room Tip: Room 419 - superior double - small room with excellent sea view
3  Thank mgabbor
Reviewed 23 July 2011

I have never taken the time to write a review before but the quality of the hotel and the fabulous Sorrento demanded that I did!
We arrived after midnight and were greeted by friendly accomodating staff who offered to provide us with food and who had kept the bar open for us to get drinks.
Our room was perfect, on the 3 floor with a large balacony looking over vesuvius and the bay of naples. I had paid a small amount for an upgrade which was well woth it!
The queen bed was huge! Amazing air con system and safe to keep your valuables in. The decor is simple and having read other reviews with complaints of furniture and bathrooms I have to disagree that this isn't 4* standard. 4* in Europe doesn't necesserily equate to what you would expect from hotels in America, the Far East or Australia, however, the small matters that you may question at the Caravel are more than made up by the amazing staff. They truely are there to make your holiday memorable.
The breakfasts are plentiful with a very good choice.
The maids keep your room spotless!
The pool is of adequate size and my husband was never out of it! I myself prefered the wonderful sun terraces where the sun hits all day and you can lie and watch the boats in the bay!
The location of the hotel is perfect. A quiet side street away from the noise of scooters and other traffic speeding along. A 20min walk to the centre of Sorrento which has a magnitude of eating options. Having passed frequently many of the hotels I considered going to in their lesser (NOISIER!) locations I was so glad I went fot the Caravel.
The evening before we left a porter delivered a card wishing us bon voyage and chocolates, it is these small touches that set this hotel apart and that I will hurry back for the next time I visit magical Sorrento!

Room Tip: pay to upgrade, you won't regret it!
2  Thank Emma N
Reviewed 21 July 2011

We stayed here (myself and partner) at the begining of July 2011. My partner loves old scooters like vespas and lambrettas and if thats what you like mixed in with fabulous italian food then stay in sorrento!

I did my digging as usual on trip advisor and this hotel was very highly rated by tripadvisor members.
We arrived late at night and the check in was super quick, we went to our room which was 204 looking out over the street, sorrento town and the pool. The had offered us a cold buffet for our tea as we had arrived so late, however myself and my partner coulnd't wait to start exploring!!

There is a FABULOUS restaurant if you turn right out of the hotel and walk all the way down to the bottom.... from the road outside the hotel you can pretty much see the sea so just head towards the sea. Its on a cliff edge looking out to mount vesuvious and accross to sorrento harbour. Beautiful food and great service! Gnocchi al a sorrentina is an absolute must in sorrento, Its Gnocchi with a tomato and mozzeralla sauce! beautiful!

We had pre-decided that we were only going to eat in the hotel a few nights as we were half board because we wanted to taste italian food as much as possible! With the half board you go down to breakfast and book your food for the evening on the menu left on the table. This is fab as you can look at the menu in the AM and decide if theres anything you would really like and decide to eat at the hotel or if you don't fancy anything you can go out!

We were a little confused however, on the first morning we were shown to our table and there was 2 women i'd say in their 50's and a couple probably in their 40's sat there already. You have to share a table with others that were on your flight. We sort of looked at each other and thought this is going to be awkward!!!! Absolutely wrong! had the most fab time with these 4 people!!! We were so blessed that we had such lovely people to talk to! 'Aunty Anne' was hilarious and Gwen was lovely! Never even caught the names of the other couple but had a good time with them all the same! I think they were from Leeds way so if your reading, me and Luke would like to know your names :)
This might have been a problem if you disliked who you were sat with but it was most fun to us!!
The menu definitly had a lot of fish on it for evening meal, and myself and my partner don't eat fish however, there was lots of pasta for me to choose from! and lots of cheese based meals which were ideal for me but made it a bit trickier for my partner as he didn't like that much on the menu!
Found it kind of strange that there was no pizza though? I'm not sure what children would do unless there is a childs menu! We don't have children so wouldn't know!

Breakfast, there was so much to choose from! bacon, scrambled eggs, toast, melons, croissants, cereal, meats and cheeses etc. There were also boiled eggs which took me a while to figure out. The water wasn't boiling but you put your egg in the water in a holder type thing, so i timed it for 5 minutes thinking its 3 minutes for a perfect dippy egg in boiled water. Not good, still raw! Tried again and i think 7 minutes did the job!!

Rooms were absolutely spotless, I'm not sure about 4* bathroom? but was always spotlessly clean! Maids were fab! Safe in the room, free aircon and we had a little balcony. We had paid extra for a balcony - but with info from one of the couples who didnt pay extra and they had exactly the same room as us! oh well!

The staff were very friendly and couldn't do more for you! there was one girl in particular who worked on the bar/lunch time restaurant and brought us drinks out to the pool with sparklers in! very pretty italian girl!

1  Thank sarah658
Reviewed 20 July 2011

We stayed at the Caravel for 10 nights at the end of June and I must admit it was enjoyable although there are areas that the hotel could improve on. The room we had (301) was basic and not what I would expect for a 4* hotel but although it was next to the lift it was relatively quiet until the people staying in room 401 decided to move or drag any piece of furniture around. Unfortunately the floors of the rooms are tiled and every sound traveled through the ceiling. We paid extra for a balcony room and was met with a four foot wide platform which just took two chairs. If you want a decent size balcony make sure that you ask for a premium room. The staff are first class and the food although not exceptional was varied and adequate. The hotel is situated on a one way street in Sant Agnello which has the advantage of being quiet compared with some of the larger hotels located on the main roads in Sorrento. The location is perfect for the evening walk and is a gentle 20 minute walk to Sorrento town. The pool is nice although not big, it is big enough and we always found a sunbed available even when the hotel was full. There Is an option of using the sun terraces located on the 4th and 5th floors which has great views of Vesuvius. Surprisingly as the hotel promotes itself as a 4* establishment, the little things that you come to expect in a 4* hotel were charged extra i.e. the pool towels and tea and coffee in your room which was charged at 4 euros a day. We used the buses and the Circumvesuviana train which was good value and an experience you should try. The local bus will take you to the marina for trips to Capri, Ischia and the Amalfi Coast cruse which I would recommend. If you are traveling with a British tour operator you could save a lot of money on trips if you do some research and 'do it yourself' rather than book trips through them. Over all the Hotel Caravel is very nice and will give you a good holiday. It is just a shame that it doesn't quite hit the 4* standard it aspires to.

Room Tip: Ask for a premium room if you want a decent size balcony
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank thefamilyguy61
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sant'Agnello
Hotel Mediterraneo Sorrento
#1 of 19 in Sant'Agnello
Grand Hotel Aminta
Grand Hotel Aminta
#25 of 100 in Sorrento

Been to Hotel Caravel Sorrento? Share your experiences!