“The people at Mami Camilla treaeted me as if I were family.”
Review of Mami Camilla

Mami Camilla
Ranked #13 of 22 Sant'Agnello B&B and Inns
Chicago, Illinois
“The people at Mami Camilla treaeted me as if I were family.”
Reviewed 9 June 2010

I spent three months at Mami Camilla for cooking school and enjoy telling people how much I learned, and how much fun I had with my friends at the b&b. The whole family was kind, happy, and quick to help with info when I needed it. Aside from the great food at Mami Camilla the thing I like most is the boat excursion around Capri. It was one of the best times I had on my trip. The location of Mami Camilla is ideal for visiting all the sites of southern Italy because it's in the center of all of them like Pompei, Vesuvio,ect. I can't wait to go back to Mami Camilla with my Chicago family to meet the new one I have at Mami Camilla

• Stayed May 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank ren42x

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed 31 May 2010

Mami Camilla is a wonderful place- we were originally set to stay for 5 nights and added an extra night on at the end. the hotel is wonderful- the room, service and atmosphere, and its in such a great part of Italy.

The family that runs the hotel is just so wonderful- helpful, nice and personal. Our room was very nice and spacious- we booked a double room with private bathroom and felt extremely comfortable (it was the best bed and biggest bathroom we had on our trip to Italy).

Mami Camilla is about a 15 minute walk from downtown sorrento (which is a great little town for restaurants and shopping), and right on the direct bus line to Positano (about 35 minutes), Amalfi, etc, and on the direct train, the Circumvesuviana, to Pompeii (30 minutes) and Naples (1 hr). Location was perfect- quiet and a good place to rest, but close enough to all the action.

What we liked best- definitely the food. We did a cooking class one day and it was worth it. Very fun and Chef Biago is a great teacher. the breakfast was a huge spread with fresh fruit, juice, meats an cheeses and croissants. we had the 4 course dinners 5 out of 6 nights- they were great value and very tasty. It was nice to eat family style with the other guests- we made a lot of friends.

The location was also great, Sorrento is such a beautiful place and we felt very relaxed there. It was a good stop between the bustle of the cities we visited on our trip.

The family the runs the hotel was also wonderful. Thank you!

No complaints- noise did travel a bit in the hotel at night, so if you sleep with the windows open, you might want to bring ear plugs. we had them and were fine.

I would definitely recommend this hotel to everyone- not just to stay, but take advange of some of the exursions and activiites- we did the cooking class and the boat tour to Capri.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 April 2010

Beautiful, wonderful place to stay!! Everyone was so friendly and our room was gorgeous; so charming and lovely. It was a little pricey and we couldn't afford to do the cooking class, though I'm sure it would have been fabulous. About a ten- or fifteen-minute walk from the center of Sorrento. Highly recommended!!

Stayed January 2008, travelled as a couple
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 6 April 2010

I've stayed in Mami Camilla twice - once as a solo traveler in the hostel, and once in a "low cost double" - although I think I got a really great deal out of that one, because some of the low cost rooms are directly connected to the dining room/common room which I can imagine would not be very quiet. However, our room was a tiny attic on top of the hotel with really great views. The rooms (especially the dorm room!) are really clean and there's a very nice big dining room/common area to hang out in. It's a really great hotel to meet people.
The first time I stayed I did the cooking course, which was fun and I learned a lot, but for me 80 euro is pretty expensive (you get a cookbook, apron, and dinner, but still). The chef is nice in a gruff way, and I would definitely recommend eating dinner at the hotel, because the food is delicious (also the breakfast). Various people connected to the hotel usually show up for dinner - so if the locals come, you know it's good!
The second time I stayed I went on the excursion to Capri, which was a really great deal. We paid 50 euro and got taken around Capri and then had about 2 free hours on the island, and they give you drinks and sandwiches. Plus the boat drivers are awesome!
There's also a beach nearby. There's one where you have to pay for the chairs, or another one directly next to it that's free.
Mami Camilla is about a 15-20 minute walk away from Sorrento (1km), but it's a very nice walk down well-lit streets, past some orange groves and a beautiful view of the coast line.
I've had a really great experience with the hotel and I would definitely recommend it.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
Massachusetts
Reviewed 15 March 2010

I had the most wonderful time cooking at Mami Camilla's cooking school. It was so much fun! The five classes went by so quickly. I wish that I stayed another week. I learned so much from the chefs. The food we made was incredibly good. I know that from making it, but guests not enrolled in the cooking school were most impressed. 18 euros - honestly, the bargain of the century, for a four course dinner.

The breakfasts are fantastic too. Fresh squeezed orange juice and as many cappuccinos as you can drink. Homemade pastries every morning.

I loved my room in the B and B. It was beautiful, clean and quiet. It had high ceilings and a patterned tile floor. My view was of lemon trees.

The family is warm and welcoming.

GREAT PLACE ALL AROUND

• Stayed February 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank kbyoga
canada
Reviewed 18 February 2010

We were really disappointed with this B&B. So much so that we left after a couple of hours. The room had a musty damp smell (we were told that it was their best room). The lobby was dirty. (check out the cobwebs on the light on the wall, and check out the washroom behind the kitchen (there is some sort of white mold growing on the ceiling)). When we explained that we were not going to stay there they still charged as a three day cancellation fee. There are so many nice places in the area you would be better of going elsewhere - we were glad we left.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank maple973
BC
Reviewed 12 January 2010

Mami Camilla was absolutely amazing. It is family run and has a great family feel as everyone eats breakfast and dinner at the same long table. Great place to meet people. Our bedroom was quite roomy with a bathroom. We got the bedroom with the breakfast included. Homemade pastries, jam, bruchetta etc. And if you want, you can eat dinner for 18 euros. A little expensive but it is a three/four course meal made by a great chef. The location was a bit hard to find from the train station but just study a map a bit better than we did and you'll be fine! You can walk to main Sorrento in about 15 minutes. Sorrento is a calm, relaxing, safe, and beautiful place. We felt we were able to let our guard down and truly relax. We didn't want to leave and we'll be sure to return to Mami Camilla when we go back to Italy. Also, make sure you go on the Capri excursion. Captain Ago takes you to Capri for a few hours and then you cruise around the island and swim in the grottos. It's on a small boat and much better than the larger boats that are crammed full of tourists.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sant'Agnello
Grand Hotel Cocumella
#8 of 19 in Sant'Agnello
Hotel Eliseo Park's
Hotel Eliseo Park's
#14 of 19 in Sant'Agnello

Been to Mami Camilla? Share your experiences!