Grand Hotel la Pace
Hotel Cristina(Sant'Agnello)
Villa Oriana Relais(Sorrento)
Majestic Palace Hotel(Sant'Agnello)
  • Breakfast included
Agriturismo Galatea(Piano di Sorrento)
Alpha Hotel(Sant'Agnello)
Hotel Girasole(Sorrento)
1,217 results
All reviewsshuttle buspool areawaiter servicefrench balconytwo coursesevening mealpublic areasbuffet stylebottle of proseccosant agnellopanoramic viewbay of napleslovely hotelreception staffour honeymoonplenty of sunbedsshuttle service
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 1 September 2010

We got a good deal on this hotel, which is a good reason to choose it... but if you're paying top dollar I'd suggest going somewhere else, like the Minerva, which should be a five start and is miles better than this place.

That said - the room was clean, and air conditioned, the pool was fine, the food was tasty - although they do serve a different variety of of the same five or six dishes every night (pasta, veal, pork, beef and chicken). If you order fish, it will be frozen.The indoor restaurant is a little disappointing, but there is table service. Breakfast was fine.

The outdoor pool bar needs a spruce up, and the food is a little pricy - a plate of pasta will cost you about 11-euro.

The biggest drawback to this hotel is the location. Its a long hot walk to Sorrento. There is a shuttle bus, but the times are ridiculous, it goes about 5 or 6 times a day - and the last bus back at 11pm is often full, which could leave you stranded. A taxi to sorrento would cost you about 20-euro.

The other problem is the balconies in the rooms are tiny - you can't really sit out on them, because they are only wide enough to stand on.

I'd go along with all the other reviewers who suggested that this hotel is overrated by at least a star. If you're getting a good deal - go for it - but don't expect it to be 5 star... next time we go back to sorrento we'll be paying a little extra, and staying at the minerva.

Reviewed 31 August 2010

My husband and I have just returned from a 9 night stay at the Grand Hotel La Pace. The hotel is not really a 5 star, but the service here is truly outstanding. The staff all went over and above what we anticipated. Everything that they did for us was completely genuine. Sant Agnello is great, so too is Sorrento. The proximity to Naples, Almalfi, Positano, Capri, Pompei etc makes for a very special holiday. Enjoy!

Reviewed 31 August 2010

On arrival we had to take our own bags - up and down stairs-to the room as no porter was offered. The first room we were given had the pool shower backing onto it, everytime someone took a shower the water pipes made an almighty clunking noise so there was no chance for a siesta, the "private terrace" literally adjoined the pool bar and was seperated from the tables by a balustrade only. After several attempts we did manage to change rooms the next day to one that was much more acceptable. This was achieved with the help of the very good and efficient reception manager - it was the best service we recieved all week. Service the rest of the time was inconsistant; ranging from quite polite and friendly to downright rude. We got the impression from some members of staff that if you werent Italian, you wouldnt get good service.
The restaurant serving evening meals was very poor, the food was of very poor quality, and the service was mediocre. Breakfast wasnt too bad though, however, there was no food available anywhere in the hotel outside of mealtimes (they only served lunch/snacks between 12 - 2.30), and there was no room service, neither was there tea/coffee facilities in the room. There was a mini bar but this was poorly stocked and dirty.
We never recieved the advertised turn down service, so if we had a siesta, the beds remained unmade. The rooms were kept reasonably clean, although when we used the two glasses provided in the room they were not washed or replaced!
Our private terrace was filthy and not cleaned during our week long stay and it was very obvious it hadnt been cleaned for a good long time before our arrival. Some of the communal areas in the hotel were grubby and the sunbed area was also dirty and didnt appear to be washed down at all. The pool was nice though, although on occasion it was late being opened in the morning. The good thing was the pool was closed at 7pm so there was no nuisance noise. The bar also shut at 11pm so again there was no annoying late night noise and most of the time it was quiet and peaceful. There was a large bar area inside the hotel but this was shut for the entire time we were there even though it was high season.
The area around the hotel was not the most conducive to walking around at night - however there was a free shuttle service into Sorrento - albeit at not the most convenient times. However, we did use the service to go into Sorrento to eat in the evenings which was well worth it to 1) not use the awful hotel restaurant, and 2) to enjoy the many cafes in Sorrento. Sorrento itself is charming.
So if you want a three * hotel this could be for you, however, you will be paying 5* prices!!

• Stayed: August 2010
Reviewed 23 August 2010

I have just arrived back from a two week holiday in this hotel. I went with my boyfriend (we are both 25). I am not a picky traveller. I have backpacked and travelled quite a bit so I know what to expect at this stage from hotels or hostels.

This hotel is NOT what it says in the reviews. I seriously don't know who is writing them. Myself and my partner decided to treat ourselves this year and book into a five star. we were quite disappointed. first off when we arrived we were told that we would have to wait two hours for our rooms. this wouldn't be too bad only I had jeans on it was roasting and we'd been up travelling from 3am that morning. also it was 12 in the afternoon and they were expecting us but they still hadn't the room ready for our arrival. barely looking at us the receptionist told us we were to wait two hours for the room, very rude. then when we got the room we were VERY VERY disappointed. There is another review on this complaining about the exact same room (Room 101). look at the pictures from the review that states they felt unsafe because of the location of their room, that is the room we were dumped in. first of all, it's on the ground floor which is fine but it was literally in the car park!!! The balcony or room got absolutely no light whatsoever, there was no privacy because there were cars parked about 5 metres from the balcony so I had to have the curtains pulled all the time, making the room even darker than it already was. worst part was when the buses pulled up outside and I had the balcony doors open. the nail in the coffin happened the morning the exhaust of a bus was running for 20 minutes into our room. Not only this but I was waking up every night every few hours because the front door was loose so if someone so much as sneezed the door would rattles as if someone was walking into the room. This was NOT satisfactory. On top of all of that we were right under the restaurant and the walls are made of paper. At 6.30 we would be woken up by loud banging and chairs and furniture being moved up stairs preparing for breakfast then when breakfast started you could forget about sleeping altogether. The bed was uncomfortable, we got two VERY thin pillows each, hard rough hospital sheets and a stained throw over for a bed. This is NOT a five star room!! By anyones standards.

When I complained about this room and insisted I be moved as I felt unsafe, I couldn’t even sit on the balcony without being plunged into shade (on a sun holiday not acceptable) or there would be cars pulling out or parking right in front of my face. I told them I did not want to stay in this room, and that I wasn’t sleeping at night. We made this complaint on the Monday morning. The man at reception barely looked at me, he made me feel ashamed about complaining. He basically waved me off and said he’d try to do something. That night at 11pm we heard nothing about the change of room so I went back up to reception to complain, a different guy was there and he said that there was never a complaint logged. So I had to re complain. This was annoying enough until the next day when I went to reception again and still no complaint logged. At this stage I had to get the top flight rep involved. She said she would try sort it. When I went up to reception AGAIN on Wendsday I was told the best they could do was a room on the following Sunday. They were very blunt and very unaccommodating. I explained to them that was a good half way through my holiday. They expected me to stay in a room plonked in a car park, feeling unsafe and getting no sleep for 7 days of my 14 day holiday. At this stage I stated I was leaving the hotel and I walked back to my room. Within 5 minutes they called my room and told me they’d have me in a pool view room by the next day, free of charge (they were first threatening to charge us for the room change). The next day before we went on a tour we had to re pack our bags (very annoying)! Finally on Thursday and having complained FOUR times and threatening to leave the hotel we were moved. It was an unbelievable ordeal!!

If we thought our room was bad another couple we met told us that they had the view of a wall. I actually saw another one of the rooms and the wall was about 15 feet from the balcony! Just a plain stone wall you could stretch out and touch. With nowhere to sit out. It was basically a window against a wall that they had. They also complained about this on the Monday and when we talked to them half way through the holiday they said nothing had been done for them and they were stuck in the room with no balcony and a wall as a view.

The food was mediocre. On more than one occasion the food at dinner was inedible. We eventually opted to waive our half board fee we paid and we went out local to eat instead. The breakfast mainly consisted of cold boiled eggs, warm fruit and yoghurt and desert from the night before (this is no joke the cakes from the night before were sitting up at breakfast). We decided to skip the breakfast as well!

Also the walk to Sorrento is 45 minutes. It’s not any further. That’s how long it took two fit 25 year olds in the heat to walk so I would say 45minutes to an hour walk. It is not near Sorrento. It’s €21 for a taxi in or out of Sorrento so to go your paying €42 if you don’t want to walk. you could get the free shuttle bus the hotel offered which had very awkward times. The last bus in the morning is 11.45 then there isn’t another one until 4.15pm. Then one at 6.15. You’re waiting 4 ½ hours if you want to go into town if you miss the afternoon bus, then if you go in for 12 there is no bus coming back to the hotel for 4 ½ hours so you’ve no way back to the hotel unless, again, you walk or pay €21 for a taxi. That’s why we had to walk a lot of the time. The last bus at night is 11pm. The night before we left the bus never even turned up, we all waited until 11.40 and eventually we had to walk, not getting back to the hotel until 12.30am. we had to be up at 7am for our flight the next morning. Again we complained and again NOTHING was done, the receptionist kept saying it wasn’t the hotels fault and he kept talking over my partner. My partner eventually got fed up trying to complain and he left. Three other couples complained about the shuttle as well. Again complaints fell on deaf ears. Also what they don’t tell you is that the traffic to Sorrento can be horrendous and one day it took us over an hour to get to Sorrento from San’t Agnello on the shuttle and when one couple got up to get off and walk the bus driver got very rude and REFUSED to let them out, it was very uncomfortable. The driver also stuck up his fingers and yelled at other drivers, I know if I had a child sitting up the front with me I would be fuming at this. It should only be a 10 minute journey but the traffic really is that bad.

Finally the room we were put in was not very satisfactory. We did have pool view however we did not have a balcony to sit out on so we had to drag the furniture from the room and open the doors really wide and sit on the chairs from the desk in the room when we wanted to just chill in our room. Also the toilet is pretty small and we had two single beds just pushed together. There is very very little wardrobe space and my partners bed had free reign and when he sat on the bed it kept sliding over toward the desk (although we did find this funny it did get quite annoying when it kept happening). Also the walls are very thin and we could hear EVERYTHING from the upstairs bedroom.....very very uncomfortable. We could hear them walking round and dragging furniture, one night the man next doors snoring was so bad that we had to turn on our air conditioning to drown him out!!

One thing I have to say though the cleaning staff were brilliant. The hotel pool and rooms were spotless. We’d leave the room and in half an hour we’d go up and the towels would be changed and the place would be gleaming. Very very impressed with that. Also the waiters were very friendly!! It’s the cleaners and the waiters that are five star NOT the hotel. The only five star rating in this hotel was the lobby and the first floor. The rooms are very very average.

San’t Agnello is stunning though, it’s very quiet and if you do go to that area go to the Jolly Blue were you get €7 bottles of wine and some nice food for cheap. Also Tony’s Bar in front of the gorgeous church does lovely cocktails and it’s a really nice place to sit out and watch everything go by.

Also your rep will try to sell you tours. Do not go on the Ischia Thermal Baths tour. It turned out to be the biggest rip off and the spa they take you to is gross!! AVOID!!!

1  Thank JLOB
Reviewed 17 August 2010

Hi. We have just returned from a 14 night stay that this hotel and it's a strange one..... Imposing entrance, lovely clean pool, good telephone manner when booking BUT: we are used to a good standard of hotel and this very dated format left us feeling we could have spent our money much better elsewhere. The food is a shocking experience - in a country where the raw ingredients are cheap and plentiful you are served canned fruit for breakfast, crap coffee that you can float horseshoes in, very expensive and sub standard meals and drinks throughout. Surely in Italy a tomato pasta wouldn't be that hard to achieve? Apparently so, and all served with a superior air that is designed to make you feel like a halfwit to complain about the raw meatballs and overboiled rice masquerading as risotto. As a result the restaurant was almost empty every evening as most diners made haste to make for the nearest taverna to avoid near starvation.

On arrival and throughout our stay, no information was supplied to assist us with our holiday and any complaints were fielded to avoid speaking to anyone in authority. The manager was no where to be seen and despite a large level of rooms booked, the place was almost empty in the restaurant, bars and pool bar in the evening as the staff left us all to it. No strong front of house was to be seen at all at any time. Manager - where are you?????

And then the beauty centre..... a mani/pedi was booked for myself and much looked forward to as this was our honeymoon and first long holiday in four years. The rooms were clean but the staff were filthy, the two girls had dirty hair, thousand wash grey uniforms and the instruments had the last few clients body shavings left on the scruffy towels on the tray in the treatment rooms. Yuk, yuk, yuk. Nail polish selection seemed to have been donated by a local stripper/lapdancer and half dried out.

Overall it was very clean and some staff friendly but for God's sake, if you're tempted go B&B as the food is absolutely terrible. Housekeeping staff very good and concientious.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family