We travelled out to Sorrento for a wedding and stayed at the hotel for seven nights.
The reception area in the hotel is huge and very bling - definitely not to everyone's taste!!
The first night some of our friends ate in the hotel and found it to be very disappointing both in terms of price and quality, so for this reason we never ate an evening meal in the hotel.
The breakfasts were possible the worst I have experienced in any hotel, the cooked breakfasts consisted of sausages, bacon, boiled eggs or scrambled eggs which was completely disgusting. The cold breakfast consisted on some fresh fruit and quite a lot of canned fruit, some cold meats and one type of cheese, there were however lots pf pastries and cakes.
During the last breakfast we had there, one member of staff was happily bagging up dirty lined from the breakfast tables in front of guests - definitely something I would not expect in a supposed 5 star hotel!
It's about a 30 - 40 minute walk in to Sorrento itself (mostly downhill) which is fine if you are fit and able to dodge the insane scooter drivers, but the walk back is mostly uphill, so I wouldn't recommend it. The hotel is fairly close to the railway (about a 15 minute walk, which is great for catching trains to Pompei and Ercolano (much cheaper than going on organised trips).
The hotel runs a free bus service in to Sorrento which is fine when it is operating, but on several occasions there were signs in the hotel to inform guests it wasn't operating at certain times. One morning we were waiting for it for 30 minutes, the reception explained that they couldn't do anything about it - one of our friends who is a solicitor persuaded them to sort it out.
Due to the infrequent running of the bus we had to get a taxi from Sorrento on a number of occassions - please be aware this generally cost us 20 euros - We easily spent more than 100 euros on taxis getting to and from Sorrento.
The rooms themselves are fine, the bathrooms are starting to look tired and the showers ran fine one moment and then scalding the next.
The hotel wasn't dirty, but nor could it be regarded as very clean, the hotel corridors could do with cleaning far more often.
The majority of the staff seemed to be very fed up with life and would have preferred to be elsewhere from their demeanour.
From our explorations of Sorrento there are far better hotels closer in to Sorrento with better views and I would suggest that people explore other hotels before booking this one..
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Grand Hotel La Pace has been built combining extraordinary ideas from the past historic luxury and today’s contemporary amenities. When you first step into our magnificent lobby, with its grand scale and splendid detail, you might think you’ve been transported back to the 20th Century, when great Hotels were built with marble and stone, not glass and steel. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Jet2Holidays , LoveHolidays, Travel Republic (UK), TripOnline SA, Expedia, Hotels.com, Cancelon, 5viajes2012 S.L., HotelQuickly, Ebookers and Evoline ltd so you can book your Grand Hotel la Pace reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Grand Hotel Sant Agnello
- Grand Hotel La Pace Sorrento
- Grand Hotel La Pace Italy/Province Of Naples