I travelled with my mum on June 10th in which we spent 7 nights at the Majestic Palace travelling with Thomas Cook. I have included a location for a little beach on the other side of Sorrento for those who want a change from the pool further down in the review, which is defiantly worth a visit. Also for those travelling via Thomas Cook I have information on the Rome Excursion, so please message me for details.
The hotel is beautiful, lots of seating inside and out, lovely decor, a deep outside pool, and is the perfect base for those who want a combination of relaxing and exploring. I found the staff both friendly and efficient; paying attention to each individual guest doing everything they could to make your holiday that extra bit special. Especially those on the bar who were fantastic :)
We expected to be placed on the ground floor however on arrival were upgraded to a room which shared a private terrace with four other rooms; containing sun loungers and over looked the front of the hotel and the pool. The room was very spacious with a safe, air conditioning, TV and large bathroom. GIRLS if you have long hair take your own hair dryer or you will be sitting for an hour trying to dry your hair!!! Many people said there were no TV channels in English, however as they use SKY on some channels eg FOX press the 'i' button and change the language from Italian to Original and volia! Furthermore there is no need to take your own towels with you for the pool as the hotel provides these, which means more luggage space!
Although the rooms were lovely, you can hear everyone else; above, below, beside, shutting the doors etc. Some nights due to certain neighbours 'banging around' or being generally noisy I found it difficult to get to sleep. So please have respect for your fellow neighbours because you can hear each other.
Breakfast was a buffet with fruit, pastries and cereals and at Dinner you received a 3 course meal with a salad bar in which you helped yourself. However we did go out to eat twice in Sorrento at Restaurant La Lanterna, make sure you go earlyish to grab an outside table. They serve great food in large portions with a lively atmosphere.
A cocktail/long drink was 8 Euros, a large glass of wine was 5 Euros and a bottle of water was about 2.50. Snacks for lunch were also served from the bar; Pizza, sandwiches etc..
The hotel is a 30 minute walk to Sorrento or you can catch a bus in for 2.40 Euros each way, and bus tickets can be purchased from the Hotel Reception or from the corner shop.
For those visiting Pompeii and didn't want to do so via your Tour Operator, we travelled via train on a Sunday, in which tickets are half price (a return was about 3.50 Euros each). The journey only took about 30 minutes and literally is a two minute walk to the entrance.
For those who would like a change from the pool, it is worth visiting Marina di Puolo, a small beach outside of Sorrento. You can get the bus from Sant Agnello to Masso and follow the road under the sign 'Hotel Dania', however it is a bit of a steep walk down to the beach. The sand is black due to the volcanic ash, however the water is clear and if you snorkel you can see the fish. The area is full of Italians and at that time we were the only tourists, you pay 5 Euros for a sun bed, and for 1 Euro you also get access to a shower cubicle and changing room. The facilities are also very clean. The beach front if full of local tavernas, the La Tavenetta was packed and justifiably so. They provided a table service however if you wanted Pizza or Pasta, they would cook it for you and bring it out to on the beach! The food was lovely, and reasonably priced I recommend the Tomato Mozzarella Salad. For two meal meals, a beer and soft drink and bread we paid twenty Euros and the portions were very decent.
I really had a fantastic stay, good food, amazing staff and perfect company in a fabulous location. I really do recommend this hotel and can't wait to come back next year!
I have included some photographs so please flick through. If you have any questions please do not hesitate to ask :)
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Immersed in a big park by citrus groves and beautiful villas, the Hotel Majestic Palace welcomes its guests in a refined and warm atmosphere at the same time. Thanks to its location, within walking distance from the sea and the main square of Sorrento, the Hotel is the ideal starting point for discovering the most beautiful and evocative sights of Sorrento area, Amalfi, Capri, Pompeii, etc., to spend in short, a seaside vacation culture or relaxing moments. Built in a Mediterranean style, the Hotel Majestic Palace has large indoor and outdoor spaces. Attention to even the smallest details, the Majestic Palace Hotel offers to the guests excellent services and facilities: pool restaurant at lunch, pizzeria, Don Geppi Restaurant open for dinner, swimming pool with Jacuzzi, solarium, beauty center and possibility to enjoy beautiful excursions by sea and by land. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Odigeo, TravelUp, Agoda, Hotels.com, Priceline, Hotel.de, HRS and Ebookers so you can book your Majestic Palace Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hotel Majestic Palace
- Majestic Palace Sorrento
- Majestic Palace Sant Agnello
- Majestic Palace Hotel Italy/Province Of Naples