We stayed in a standard room during an amazing week in Sorrento. I have to admit when I first saw the hotel my inner snob came out and I wasn't massively impressed. It is quite old fashioned, with the lobby featuring some quite dated furniture and fittings, however within a few hours I felt really happy and comfortable there because of the lovely warm atmosphere created in the hotel.
The great things about this hotel include the massive size of the rooms, and we loved having a big balcony as well, which actually had decent chairs to relax in (I get so sick of cheap plastic chairs on balconies!) We were half board, and I thought the evening meals were excellent, with imaginative new dishes to choose from and a different menu each night - the Canneloni was amazing!!!! They really treat the guests, every other night at least we had a talented singer in. The pool area is quite small, but we never had a problem getting a seat. There is also a really pretty lemon and orange orchard. The staff there are really sweet, friendly and helpful - it is one of the kindest teams I have seen. Location was also good, we didn't have much in the way of views on our floor, but it was an straight, flat 20 minutes walk to the main town. The main area of Sorrento gets very hectic and noisy, so I appreciated being set back a bit. It is also much, much cheaper for absolutely everything in St Agnello, which helped with things like buying drinks(at one local shop a litre of Peroni was 75 cents, a bottle of wine was 3 euros - wonderful!)
The problems we found in this hotel that stopped it getting the full 5 are; First of all, I appreciate that this is a family run business coping with a recession, but the breakfast was such a disappointment - the only hot options were cut up hot dog sausages, bright yellow scrambled egg and the most disgusting bacon ever (it had bone fragments in each rasher - revolting!!) any other hot options had to be paid for - the cold selection was the same tired old stuff every day (although the coffee and croissants were amazing!!) There are loads of staff members standing around doing little, and call me old fashioned but if this place is truly a 4 star I think that these same staff should be bringing around the coffee and maybe toast instead. The only other issue we had (and I don't know if this would be the same in any Italian hotel) is the thinness of the bedroom walls - for the first few days we had a baby next door and you could hear every scream and gurgle! Another night we were woken by a rowdy group stomping in the room above us and putting the TV on - this also made us very aware of our own noise. There was also one member of stafff, a young girl with dark hair who worked in the bar, who was so lazy - I stood there waiting to be served one day while she sat at the bar eating crisps provided for customers for a few minutes until she decided to actually serve me - she was really the weakest link amongst the staff and so terribly unfriendly, I always avoided buying drinks when she was working!
Overall, these problems aside we had a great week at the Majestic, I don't think any hotel is going to be perfect and I would definitely recommend this hotel to friends.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Immersed in a big park by citrus groves and beautiful villas, the Hotel Majestic Palace welcomes its guests in a refined and warm atmosphere at the same time. Thanks to its location, within walking distance from the sea and the main square of Sorrento, the Hotel is the ideal starting point for discovering the most beautiful and evocative sights of Sorrento area, Amalfi, Capri, Pompeii, etc., to spend in short, a seaside vacation culture or relaxing moments. Built in a Mediterranean style, the Hotel Majestic Palace has large indoor and outdoor spaces. Attention to even the smallest details, the Majestic Palace Hotel offers to the guests excellent services and facilities: pool restaurant at lunch, pizzeria, Don Geppi Restaurant open for dinner, swimming pool with Jacuzzi, solarium, beauty center and possibility to enjoy beautiful excursions by sea and by land. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, TravelUp, Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, HotelsClick, Cancelon, HotelQuickly and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Majestic Palace Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hotel Majestic Palace
- Majestic Palace Sorrento
- Majestic Palace Sant Agnello
- Majestic Palace Hotel Italy/Province Of Naples