“Charming Hotel, great atmosphere”

Majestic Palace Hotel
Ranked #11 of 19 Hotels in Sant'Agnello
Reviewed 30 July 2011

We stayed in a standard room during an amazing week in Sorrento. I have to admit when I first saw the hotel my inner snob came out and I wasn't massively impressed. It is quite old fashioned, with the lobby featuring some quite dated furniture and fittings, however within a few hours I felt really happy and comfortable there because of the lovely warm atmosphere created in the hotel.

The great things about this hotel include the massive size of the rooms, and we loved having a big balcony as well, which actually had decent chairs to relax in (I get so sick of cheap plastic chairs on balconies!) We were half board, and I thought the evening meals were excellent, with imaginative new dishes to choose from and a different menu each night - the Canneloni was amazing!!!! They really treat the guests, every other night at least we had a talented singer in. The pool area is quite small, but we never had a problem getting a seat. There is also a really pretty lemon and orange orchard. The staff there are really sweet, friendly and helpful - it is one of the kindest teams I have seen. Location was also good, we didn't have much in the way of views on our floor, but it was an straight, flat 20 minutes walk to the main town. The main area of Sorrento gets very hectic and noisy, so I appreciated being set back a bit. It is also much, much cheaper for absolutely everything in St Agnello, which helped with things like buying drinks(at one local shop a litre of Peroni was 75 cents, a bottle of wine was 3 euros - wonderful!)

The problems we found in this hotel that stopped it getting the full 5 are; First of all, I appreciate that this is a family run business coping with a recession, but the breakfast was such a disappointment - the only hot options were cut up hot dog sausages, bright yellow scrambled egg and the most disgusting bacon ever (it had bone fragments in each rasher - revolting!!) any other hot options had to be paid for - the cold selection was the same tired old stuff every day (although the coffee and croissants were amazing!!) There are loads of staff members standing around doing little, and call me old fashioned but if this place is truly a 4 star I think that these same staff should be bringing around the coffee and maybe toast instead. The only other issue we had (and I don't know if this would be the same in any Italian hotel) is the thinness of the bedroom walls - for the first few days we had a baby next door and you could hear every scream and gurgle! Another night we were woken by a rowdy group stomping in the room above us and putting the TV on - this also made us very aware of our own noise. There was also one member of stafff, a young girl with dark hair who worked in the bar, who was so lazy - I stood there waiting to be served one day while she sat at the bar eating crisps provided for customers for a few minutes until she decided to actually serve me - she was really the weakest link amongst the staff and so terribly unfriendly, I always avoided buying drinks when she was working!

Overall, these problems aside we had a great week at the Majestic, I don't think any hotel is going to be perfect and I would definitely recommend this hotel to friends.

2  Thank JillyLeicester

Reviewed 20 July 2011

The hotel was clean though the room was a little dated. Had a problem with our original room as it smelt damp and the paint on the bathroom ceiling was flaking but we were moved without a fuss. Super view from our balcony at the back of the hotel. The pool was pleasant with shady areas which we needed as it was very hot. Not exactly loads of sunbeds but adequate.

We were on half board - breakfast was ok though a bit limited on fresh fruit etc and got a bit repetitive after a few days. The evening meals were good to start with but lacked a bit of imagination and were not exactly full of local produce.

On the plus side all the staff were friendly and very nice and would try to help if possible. Certainly not the worst hotel we've stayed in and with a little improvement it could be very good. It's a shame that the roof terraces are not better equipped as there seems to be a lot of room with some great views but a lack of facilities.

Reviewed 20 July 2011

As returning guest’s at The Majestic Palace, my wife and I were happy to see familiar faces behind the reception. Mr Giovanni De Angelis is always welcoming, and happy to see you, as is Antonio and of course, Giuseppe always ready to help.
The reception area is very welcoming and cool. I love the style of this family run hotel. It has old world charm with its furniture, and Murano glass chandeliers. You will notice all areas of the hotel are very clean, the floors are gleaming.
As we were catching up on things, we were told that some things had changed. They have installed a hydro therapy section to the pool, and installed steps. This I could not wait to try. They have installed a huge Pizza oven in the garden to the side of the hotel. Fantastic.
Overall the hotel itself has not changed, still very clean, the rooms are spotless, and made up every morning with fresh towels every day. The air conditioning was brilliant. However, the one thing that had changed was the restaurant.
The breakfast was good, with lots of choice to suit most tastes. But the evening meals had taken a turn for the worse. Normally the menu is displayed just outside the restaurant, and you can decide whether or not to eat in, this year it was on the table. The choice of meals was not very well thought out. We are not great lovers of fish, veal or rabbit, but some nights the menu listed all of the above as main meals. Some nights my wife only had a salad which is always fresh and delicious, also the quality of the food was lacking. Potatoes were way over cooked and some dishes looked as though they had been re- heated as they were very dry. Although on a few occasions, the head waiter did offer to change some dishes for us. Also, the wine prices were way too expensive and they seem to have taken a few favorite wines off the menu.
Another thing I noticed about the restaurant is that none of the waiters looked happy. In years gone by we had Gala Nights and all the waiters used to join in the fun, and chat to you, and sometimes teach us a little Italian. They used to march around with the desserts flaming away, and make a big thing of it, which all added to the fun. Now the atmosphere seemed a little glum and needs cheering up a bit.
Downstairs they have the makings of a lovely Pizzeria, with a new Pizza oven and a small area with tables and chairs, under a leafy canopy. The Pizza was absolutely beautiful. It is only open during lunch time. In our opinion it should be open during the evening as well as some people might prefer a change from the restaurant .
The hotel is situated in a perfect place surrounded by Orange and Lemon groves, in a very quiet part of Sant’ Agnello. From here you can visit so many places. Sorrento is just a ten minute bus ride away, or if you feel adventurous, twenty minutes walk. The train station is only just down the road. From here you can get to Pompeii, Napoli and other places.
In Sorrento, you can get a bus to Marina Piccola where you can jump on a boat for Capri, Amalfi, Positano, Napoli and many other places. Do your own thing, don’t use the tour company trips. If you require any information at all, then ask at reception.
The pool area is brilliant. We got down to the pool at around 10:00 and there was plenty of room. There are lots of sun beds and chairs, so don’t panic. The main pool is deep, which I like, but at the top end there is a section behind the wall where you can stand up and where children can play. This area incorporates the new Hydro area. This is a brilliant addition this year.
The poolside also has a good bar and restaurant where you can have lunch or a full three course meal. The Pizzeria is just down below to the back of the pool, and I would highly recommend a visit here.
Around Sant’ Agnello there are lots of café bars and restaurants of good quality. In Sorrento they have many restaurants and bars. You will not go hungry. There is a small bar at the top of the road called Tony’s Bar. It’s a lovely place to sit and enjoy a drink in the evening watching the world go by. And you will find Tony very entertaining as well. The drinks are very reasonable. It is situated on the far left of the crossroads. Enjoy.
As we have done all the usual trips, we like to go to different local areas. Visit Massa Lubrensa, a lovely little town, it has a fantastic harbor and nice restaurants. It’s a bit of a walk down, but worth it. The taxi-boat back to Sorrento was great fun. Sant’ Agata is another nice place to visit. Colli de Fontanaella is high up in the hills, with a spectacular view of Sant’ Agnello and Sorrento. Visit Piano de Sorrento, a fantastic little town with coffee shops and restaurants and good shopping.
Even though we found the restaurant at The Majestic Palace lacking a little this year, we will be going back again next year. We have been going to this hotel since 2001 so it goes without saying that we love it. Shame they don’t do bed and breakfast as that would suit us better.

A big Grazie to Mr. Rossano, Giovanni, Giuseppe, Antonio and all the staff for the kind welcome and for looking after us during our stay.

Allan and Jan Hutchinson.

3  Thank AllanBridgend63
PeppeMajestic, Guest Relations Manager at Majestic Palace Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 September 2011

Dear Mr & Mrs H.

Thank you very much for choosing again our Hotel for your holiday here in Sorrento, it's always nice to welcoming you back here at Majestic Palace, a kind of second home for you.
We are really proud to have guests like you and we hope to see you again next year!

Grazie

Giuseppe Cannavale

Reviewed 19 July 2011

We have spent 7 nights at the Majestic Palace and have just returned home.
On arrival we were greeted warmly and professionally by Giuseppe (a gentleman and great help all week!).
Our room overlooked the pool area and we had a lovely view of Vesuvius and the striking and stunning hills that make a dramatic backdrop for the area.
OK, so the room was a little bit poor in the finishing department in terms of not much care when painting etc but otherwise it was spotlessly clean, light and with the air conditioning it became a welcome retreat from the spectacular heat we enjoyed!
Feeling slightly awkward (as one often does on the first night!) we went down to dinner to be greeted warmly again by the restaurant manager who put up with my poor attempts at ordering food and drinks in Italian (this went on all week!). The waiting staff were efficient and very polite.
The menus were in both Italian & English which made it easy and the food throughout the week was varied enough to keep us happy.....and full! The desserts in particular were delicious!
The separate bar area which merges with the pool is a perfect place in which to waste a day....we did this for much of the week and were regulars at the pool. Again, bar staff were fantastic and suffered my attempts at Italian, helping me learn new words as I went. I always feel it's incredibly rude to visit another country without bothering to know even the pleasantries in their native language. I tried to make the effort which I felt the staff appreciated. This being said, all the staff I came into contact spoke enough English to help me when my own ignorance shone through!
The bar snacks and light meals were tasty and inexpensive. They serve a great range of cocktails, beers and have an extensive wine menu where you can spend as little or as much as you want!
The pool was kept immaculately clean by the ever present and hardworking maintenance man. There was enough areas of sun and shade all day long and the pool itself was a pleasure to swim in.
It's location is about 20minutes outside the centre of Sorrento if you're a good walker. We ventured in a few times and found there to be a wide choice of bars, restaurants and shops to cater for any amount of money you did (or didn't) want to spend. This being said though, just a few minutes walk from the hotel there are a few lovely little pizzerias and restaurants and of course the coastline which there are no words to describe the beauty of....you really have to be there to appreciate the sheer breathtaking beauty of this part of Italy.
the hotel has exceeded our expectations and our thanks to the staff.
We are hoping to marry in the area in a couple of years........I know where I'll be paying for my family and friends to stay............

1  Thank WatsonDavies
Reviewed 18 July 2011

We had orginally booked into the Caraval but owing to a last minute maintenance problem we were unable to stay there. The management advised us a couple of days in advance, and rebooked us into the Majestic Palace on an equavalent basis. This remains a disappointment, although this is not a refelction on Majestic Palace.
As for the Majestic Palace: the rooms were clean and spacious, aircon was effective, nice comfortable (hard) bed. The view over the gardens at the rear from our balcony on the 3rd floor was magnificent.
The greatest down point was the breakfast. It was 'satisfactory' but had nothing to wow over. It was identical on each of the 6 days we were there. The absence of fresh fruit (e.g. melon, pineapple) was a disappointment.

1  Thank andrewlflynn
Reviewed 17 July 2011

We arrived at the hotel late on a Friday evening and were greeted by very friendly reception staff. Considering the time, I had assumed we had missed dinner but it wasn't an issue and we were ushered to a table and the waiting staff did not bat an eyelid despite there being no one else still eating!

The room was large, airy and spacious. There were always plenty of towels and the beds made up every day. The bed was comfy and the air conditioning was a godsend on those warm evenings! If I am being picky, the decor in the room, and in fact throughout the hotel does seem a little dated and the term faded glory does come to mind. The room was facing towards the back and the view across the orange and lemon groves was incredible, a perfect spot to watch the sunset.

The pool area was always very clean tidy and we never had a problem with getting a sunbed in the morning. The general areas of the hotel were always spotless and the staff worked incredibly hard to keep to this high standard.

My only gripe at the hotel was the food. We came to Italy expecting a lot of simple but delicious Italian dishes but I felt like the meals were often overly complicated and nearly always came with roasted potatoes that were cold. I did get the sense that these meals were just reheated straight from the freezer. We did enjoy the Neapolitan Night where we had rissoto and lasagna which was lovely...they should do more like it! I always prefer and simple meal done well rather than fancy food which just does make the cut. The service in the restaurant was fantastic. The manager was very accommodating and nothing was too much to ask. Breakfast was very good, good selection of juices, breads, fruits, yoghurts cereals and hot food. The hot food did leave something to be desired but overall, we didn't go hungry!

As it is at the moment, I wouldn't recommend this hotel for families. The pool is very deep - starts at 1.8m and drops to 3m apart from the hydro pool with is still fairly deep at 1.3m. There was also no children menu and if you are on the half board basis, some of the options may not appeal to children, i.e rabbit.

Lastly, the hotel is perfect for exploring the surrounding area. We walked into Sorrento on a couple of nights which is about a 20 min walk, bit precarious at times but the taxis were quoting 25 euros so we never bothered. Sorrento is a complete contrast to the quiet town of Sant Agnello. There was a great hustle and bustle about it and there were lots of people just watching the world go past. La Favorita restaurant is a must go. The food was incredible and the fact it was outside but covered in vines and lemon trees made it a wonderful, romantic spot.

We went on excursions to Pompeii, Vesuvius and Capri, all done through the operator which was really useful for Pompeii as our guide had a wealth of knowledge and enthusiasm. The Capri tour was 68 Euro and I was disappointed, not with Capri but with the value for money, lunch and the boat trip around the Island weren't included and I find it difficult to see what we were paying for.

On our last day, we were very impressed with the checkout service, not only were the bags locked away free of charge but a courtesy room for the day offered as our flight was not till evening. These little touches really made the difference. All in all, this was a wonderful holiday in a wonderful location and this charming hotel made it all that much better. I felt relaxed and completely looked after during our stay, couldn't ask for more!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
PeppeMajestic, Guest Relations Manager at Majestic Palace Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2011

Dear Jc_owen11,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience with us on tripadvisor.
We are very pleased to read that you were positive impressed with our check-out service. We Every day but especially on Friday we have lots of new arrivals and late departure, we try always to do our best for our guests and give to them a chance to enjoy/spent also the last few hours here with us in our bar, by the pool etc, giving a chance to put bags in a locked room and offering a courtesy room (all free of charge).
We are looking forward to welcoming you back in the near future again.

Sincerely

Giuseppe Cannavale

Reviewed 17 July 2011

The bedrooms were clean and tidy the bathroom was a little tired and could do with a update.The outside pool was also in need of a facelift,however these two minor points aside we would highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a garden terrace