“Home to Home - It was our 11th year to return to this Hotel - that I think speaks for itself.”

Majestic Palace Hotel
Ranked #11 of 19 Hotels in Sant'Agnello
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 5 August 2011

This Hotel is in a lovely location and has nice gardens. The Don Geppi Restuarant serves delicious meals. The Maj blue Bar is very relaxing and serves snacks. The swimming pool is close by which adds to it's ambience. All the Staff are excellent and always willing to make your stay a memorable and pleasant one. When you enquire about a place or venue they provide great information and directions and always helpful and pleasant. Security is very good and it is a safe place.

Room Tip: Rooms very comfortable and clean
1 Thank S0rrent02011
PeppeMajestic, Guest Relations Manager at Majestic Palace Hotel, responded to this review, 2 September 2011
Dear Mr & Mrs G.

Thank you very much for your lovely review and for your 11th years to return in our Hotel. It's a big pleasure for us to have guests like you!
See you next year!!
Grazie

Giuseppe Cannavale

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (245)
UK
Reviewed 4 August 2011

We had a room on the third floor which was a good size with a balcony and working airconditioning.The room was spotless with a good bathroom which was cleaned every day.The pool,bar and surrounds were excellent,well maintained and restful.The staff of the hotel were quite exceptional and tried to be helpful at all times.There were drawbacks.No-one should go to Sorrento for a beach holiday - the beaches are pathetic and the Lido system is far too expensive.The street where the hotel is situated is narrow and busy and the adjoining main Corso Italia is just crazy,even for pedestrians.Public transport into Sorrento is a must.The hotel does its best despite the location and the staff and the facilities combine to give their guests an enjoyable holiday.

1 Thank Piste_Off_Wanderers
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 August 2011

Stayed recently, having been twice before several years ago, when we loved it. Sadly, in these recessionary times, there have been substantial changes, with the food quality inconsistent, no buffet night, less choice of breads/meats/cheeses at breakfast, fewer waiters and they were very inexperienced instead of the previous gregarious characters (see review 2 or 3 below), and lack of courtesy bus (irritating as the cost of bus tickets has doubled for tourists to the area and buses are erratic, when they're not completely on strike). However, the pool area was clean and well looked after with plenty of space and loungers or deck chairs for all. The bedrooms were spotless as usual and well appointed. The cleaning staff were excellent and always cheerful. The noise from the bar area on many nights was excessively loud with the singers that the hotel had provided - sounding more like a concert than background music. Overall the experience was disappointing compared to previous stays and we probably won't return.

1 Thank S223
Copthorne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 August 2011

As an EasyJet holidaymakers we were allocated in the basement, you can imagine initial dissapointement. There was some trouble in the corridor when we arrived and we asked for another room somewhere on upper floors and I was prepared to pay extra for an upgrade. The staff were more than accommodating, we were given a nice room on 1st floor with a swimming pool view, we felt safer there and...... all at no extra cost!!!!!! So, many thanks to a lovely man at the reception desk....All in all, rather expensive but that's the case anywhere in euro zone. Hotel restaurant's menu v limited so we did not dine there at all, plenty of choice in Sant'Agnello or Sorrento. Very good transport.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
PeppeMajestic, Guest Relations Manager at Majestic Palace Hotel, responded to this review, 2 August 2011
Dear YinYangDana,

Thank you very much for choosing our property and for sharing your experience on TripAdvisor.
Regarding your review, we would like to clarify some points:

It isn't true that as you were an EasyJet holidaymakers you were allocated on ground floor, we treat all our guests in the same and correct way. Lots of EasyJet holidaymakers book with us a superior room with balcony... we give you the room that you have booked and paid.
Frankly I can't understand when you say: "All in All, rather expensive"... "the Hotel Restaurant menu is limited"... and that "our Hotel is over rated"... Yes, it's true that we cannot discuss about tastes and point of view of people but just to remind you that we have in our restaurant 2 types of menu, à la carte menu with more than 30 regional and International choices and with prices starting from 8,00 euro. Than we have Daily Menu with 10 choices, plus salad buffet, vegetables and dessert at euro 28,00 per person.
However we are very pleased that you have appreciated the efficiency of our Staff at Reception and the fact we give you a nice upgrade room with balcony on 1st floor with pool view... all at no extra cost!

Best regards

Giuseppe Cannavale
Reading, UK
Reviewed 31 July 2011

This hotel was, for me, a disappointment; not because it is a poor hotel ( I had read the many good reviews) but because it could be so much better with minimal cost or effort. I accept that we all have very individual needs and requirements and that I have high expectations - but I am comparing with establishments in other countries which are also rated 4-star.

Service I found to be variable. It seems very commion in Italy generally for staff to continue holding their personal conversations while customers stand waiting for some help. This I experienced both in reception and in the bar - though never in the restaurant, where the service was always courteous and efficient. However, I agree with another reviewer who reported that the mood of the restaurant staff did seem a bit sombre a lot of the time.

On two occasions I had a minor problem with my room (an ant infestation due to a sticky sweet left under the bed by a previous occupant and a separate cluster on a different day in another part of the room). This was dealt with immediately by the gentleman on reception who brought up some spray which did the trick.This must be a fairly common issue as both reception and housekeeping staff seemed to be armed with the necessary insect sprays. On departure day our cases were placed in a room which was variably locked throughout the day and there was no courtesy room offered for changing or showering despite a 4.30pm departure time.

My one real issue with service was on the one day I decided to spend by the pool. Although we were staying Half Board, my teenage daughter didn't always manage to get herself up and ready in time for breakfast so I agreed to purchase a snack and a couple of drinks. There are a couple of menu options open to poolside guests at lunchtime - a snack bar menu (which advertises itself as being available all day) and a restaurant menu available at specific times of day. I indicated to the bar waiter that I would like two drinks and a pizza from the snack menu (which I pointed to directly) and asked to have these at poolside. I was told that this was no problem. He indicated, however, that I should have the pizza advertised on the restaurant menu. I accepted this, despite the price difference, this, assuming that maybe the snack menu was not available at lunchtime. I was very surprised when the waiter then walked over to me at poolside and said that we could not have the pizza there and that we must go to the the terrace to eat, since I had just watched him serve three people on the opposite side of the pool. I had also seen several others eating there during the week, served by the same waiter, as I had an excellent view of poolside directly from my 1st floor window above reception! It seems there is one rule for some people and a different rule for others! On checking the menu again it clearly stated that the snack bar menu was available all day. After eating I queried both issues. I was told that it was a 'different kind of pizza' ( yes - just a slice, which was what I asked for) and that I could not eat at poolside because I had no table (He had previously said that he could serve me with drinks but not with food.) I did have a table - complete with ashtray full of cigarette butts from the previous day!

Our room was large and but nothing special. Furnishing was adequate though twin beds were small in width. Overall the room was clean and towels were changed daily. However, although the floor looked clean our feet were filthy minutes after showering. It looks as though it is probably swept but not mopped between guests (as indicated by the ant infestation mentioned earlier!) Air conditioning was very cold but no real issue as this can be turned off manually. Our room was on the front of the hotel which gets very noisy due to a constant flow of traffic - particularly in the evening. If you choose not to attend the evening entertainment then it will come to you until about 11.30pm (whether you want to listen to it or not!) so I would recommend asking for a quieter room at the back of the hotel if you want peace and quiet.

Food was generally good with adequate choice and large portions. However, salad bar is disappointing - dull and repetitive. Combination of food is a bit strange at times. A salad main course was accompanied by hot mashed potato and green beans!

The hotel is conveniently located for walking into Sorrento. It's an easy walk but not pleasant as you're accompanied all the way by a constant stream of traffic, whichever route you choose, unless you go mid-afternoon when it's often too hot to be walking around . I would recommend walking uphill into the quieter residential areas rather than down to the coast for a change if you want to get away from the hustle and bustle of the main street. There are some fantastic trips on offer and I wouldn't have missed any of these - particularly Pompeii and Vesuvius, Capri and the Amalfi Drive (I recommend trying to get a seat on the right hand side of the coach for the best views as not all guides arrange a seat-swapping system). However, tours are very expensive and there are lots of add-ons which are not part of the initial payment so check carefully how much you'll be likely to pay out overall. For instance, Capri cost 68 Euros each plus 25E for an optional boat trip, 8E for an optional charlift ride and any lunch money.

The Majestic Palace is a typical average to good tourist hotel with nothing to shout about. A few small changes and a bit of attention to detail could improve things substantially.

Room Tip: Front rooms have view of pool but are noisy - particularly late evening due to road traffic and ent...
2 Thank Travel_BugReading_UK
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 31 July 2011

Family of four stayed in a very nice and big room with nice patio and lounge chairs to sit and enjoy.
Excellent break-fast and very friendly staff.
Cons:
Little far from the city

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
Leicester
Reviewed 30 July 2011

We stayed in a standard room during an amazing week in Sorrento. I have to admit when I first saw the hotel my inner snob came out and I wasn't massively impressed. It is quite old fashioned, with the lobby featuring some quite dated furniture and fittings, however within a few hours I felt really happy and comfortable there because of the lovely warm atmosphere created in the hotel.

The great things about this hotel include the massive size of the rooms, and we loved having a big balcony as well, which actually had decent chairs to relax in (I get so sick of cheap plastic chairs on balconies!) We were half board, and I thought the evening meals were excellent, with imaginative new dishes to choose from and a different menu each night - the Canneloni was amazing!!!! They really treat the guests, every other night at least we had a talented singer in. The pool area is quite small, but we never had a problem getting a seat. There is also a really pretty lemon and orange orchard. The staff there are really sweet, friendly and helpful - it is one of the kindest teams I have seen. Location was also good, we didn't have much in the way of views on our floor, but it was an straight, flat 20 minutes walk to the main town. The main area of Sorrento gets very hectic and noisy, so I appreciated being set back a bit. It is also much, much cheaper for absolutely everything in St Agnello, which helped with things like buying drinks(at one local shop a litre of Peroni was 75 cents, a bottle of wine was 3 euros - wonderful!)

The problems we found in this hotel that stopped it getting the full 5 are; First of all, I appreciate that this is a family run business coping with a recession, but the breakfast was such a disappointment - the only hot options were cut up hot dog sausages, bright yellow scrambled egg and the most disgusting bacon ever (it had bone fragments in each rasher - revolting!!) any other hot options had to be paid for - the cold selection was the same tired old stuff every day (although the coffee and croissants were amazing!!) There are loads of staff members standing around doing little, and call me old fashioned but if this place is truly a 4 star I think that these same staff should be bringing around the coffee and maybe toast instead. The only other issue we had (and I don't know if this would be the same in any Italian hotel) is the thinness of the bedroom walls - for the first few days we had a baby next door and you could hear every scream and gurgle! Another night we were woken by a rowdy group stomping in the room above us and putting the TV on - this also made us very aware of our own noise. There was also one member of stafff, a young girl with dark hair who worked in the bar, who was so lazy - I stood there waiting to be served one day while she sat at the bar eating crisps provided for customers for a few minutes until she decided to actually serve me - she was really the weakest link amongst the staff and so terribly unfriendly, I always avoided buying drinks when she was working!

Overall, these problems aside we had a great week at the Majestic, I don't think any hotel is going to be perfect and I would definitely recommend this hotel to friends.

2 Thank JillyLeicester
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sant'Agnello
Hotel Caravel Sorrento
#40 of 100 in Sorrento
Hotel Corallo Sorrento
Hotel Corallo Sorrento
#3 of 19 in Sant'Agnello

Been to Majestic Palace Hotel? Share your experiences!