We just got back after one week at this pleasant hotel; only booked the holiday 3 days before departure and although been to Sorrento many times before we selected a hotel with availability which suited our dates, via Thomson Holidays. Having never stayed in the Sant'Agnello area before (always in Sorrento itself or on the coast road), I was not sure what to expect location wise. However it exceeded my expectations. The hotel is located in a leafy residential district amongst private residences less than a 5 minute walk to the sea front which offered some of the best views in that area; also if you take walks through the adjoining area you will find quieter beaches used by the Italians (not golden sand) with great scenery. The hotel stood well and the exterior was nicely painted and well-maintained, there is a nice entrance with private gardens with an abundance of beautiful bright flowers with pretty trees around a small but perfectly adequate swimming pool and a nice terrace. The reception and sitting areas were elegant and understated with numerous antiques in traditional Italian styling. Before I arrived I was dubious as we usually stay in hotels with a full sea view which this does not have, so we selected a partial sea view room (4th floor) it had with nice views and a balcony with 2 sun chairs. The air-con, fridge, shower, TV and Wi-Fi (in room) were great, and in keeping with the rest of the hotel’s decor, the bedroom was of traditional retro styling. We walked to Sorrento centre every evening and to the Port to take a ferry to Capri etc. during the day, all about a 20 minute each way pleasant walk; for this reason I did not miss my gym and fitness classes as the walking was better than any exercise class (I also took the stairs instead of the lift)! However the train or bus option from Sant’Agnello to Sorrento centre is good. Knowing the Amalfi coast area fairly well from previous holidays, it was so easy to take the bus to Positano from Sorrento’s bus station (located by the train station), at just over 7 euros for a bus day ticket and a journey generally taking approx. 40 minutes each way (expect it to take longer in August) along the coast road was great. The same bus goes to Amalfi and Ravello as well but will add an extra 30 minutes or more each way, to the journey. Note it is a very busy bus (departs approx. every half hour?) and some people were willing to stand most of the way, so get in early on the queue - it also takes the winding road route (beautiful scenery) so anyone who suffers from travel sickness beware. The bus drivers are BRILLIANT drivers. We found the hotel staff, from reception, to the restaurant and bar, to be very smart, efficient and professional, unobtrusively getting on with their day to day tasks but happy to help when you need it. On the whole I found the food to be good. As reported by another reviewer the cappuccinos and lattes purchased from the bar were amongst the best I’ve had, equally the cocktails are fab. The pasta and fish dishes were good and seasonal fruit was always available; for Michelin 3 star menus try the 5-star hotels. The cleanliness of the hotel and rooms was good and we had no problem with the drinks/extras bill upon departure, using my phone app it was spot on! All in all, a very enjoyable holiday! In previous years, we paid more than double for other 4 & 5 star hotels in Sorrento (which of course are also excellent) and with those you do get the extra “frills”, a sea front location and possibly more attentive service if you are willing to pay a lot more which is fine. However, the good value, location and professionalism of the Majestic Palace, based on my experience, made it a good choice and I would stay there again if staying in Sant’Agnello. Thank you to all the staff at the Majestic Palace for a relaxing and enjoyable holiday.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Immersed in a big park by citrus groves and beautiful villas, the Hotel Majestic Palace welcomes its guests in a refined and warm atmosphere at the same time. Thanks to its location, within walking distance from the sea and the main square of Sorrento, the Hotel is the ideal starting point for discovering the most beautiful and evocative sights of Sorrento area, Amalfi, Capri, Pompeii, etc., to spend in short, a seaside vacation culture or relaxing moments. Built in a Mediterranean style, the Hotel Majestic Palace has large indoor and outdoor spaces. Attention to even the smallest details, the Majestic Palace Hotel offers to the guests excellent services and facilities: pool restaurant at lunch, pizzeria, Don Geppi Restaurant open for dinner, swimming pool with Jacuzzi, solarium, beauty center and possibility to enjoy beautiful excursions by sea and by land. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Travel Republic (UK), Agoda, Booking.com, TravelUp, Odigeo, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Majestic Palace Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hotel Majestic Palace
- Majestic Palace Sorrento
- Majestic Palace Sant Agnello
- Majestic Palace Hotel Italy/Province Of Naples