“magic majestic palace!”

Majestic Palace Hotel
Ranked #11 of 19 Hotels in Sant'Agnello
Reviewed 2 August 2013

just came home from a fantastic holiday in Sorrento. The majestic palace was magic! the rooms, grounds, pool area, restaurant, every lounge area, roof top terrace were all clean and luxurious. the icing on the cake was the delicious food and wonderful staff. we (my self, my mother and my 2 daughters aged 12 and 15) had a fabulous time here one of our best holidays ever and probably the best hotel we have stayed in. 10 out of 10 for everything. wonderful!!!!!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Co-operative Travel
Geppi R, Responsabile relazioni con la clientela at Majestic Palace Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 August 2013

Dear Jo c,

Thank you so much for choosing our hotel for your holiday in Sorrento.
We are very pleased to read your beautiful review and we are so happy to know that you enjoyed everything during your stay with us! 10 out of 10, Wow!
Hoping to welcome you back in the near future

Grazie
Giuseppe Cannavale

Reviewed 31 July 2013

We have just returned from a one week stay at the majestic palace. The hotel is situated about half an hour (walk) from Sorrento. This did not bother us and we often enjoyed this walk. The hotel is very clean and is well kept with antique furniture in most communal areas. The pool area is very nice and once again spotlessly clean. As we travelled with Thompson we were in a basement room. Again this was clean and nice and although it did not have a view, this did not bother us as we spent very little time in the hotel.
Overall the service in this hotel is very very good and staff will do anything to help you. For example our return transfer was late afternoon and we were offered a free room after check out for a shower etc. As you are in Italy the food is Italian and includes a varied choice of dishes. My wife and I really enjoyed the food all week and it gave us the opportunity to try new dishes. If you are looking for an English breakfast or chips then I suggest that you go to Blackpool for the week instead.
Overall I would stay at the Majestic Palace again and enjoyed the Sorrento area. Beware that the whole area is very expensive (£5 a beer, £3 a coffee) but worth paying to visit a beautiful area.

Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 July 2013

A very fine hotel. Perfect Breakfast buffet. Good Pool facilities. Don't choose Room with Patio, as we did by mistake. Very dark room with no view. Located in quiet surroundings, but in my opinion too far from the centre of Sorrento if you prefer to go out in the evening.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank RasmussenDK
Reviewed 29 July 2013

Overall our stay at the hotel was excellent. The location is excellent just a easy 30 minute walk into Sorrento. All staff at the hotel were excellent however I would point out that that hall and stair carpet let the hotel down as it was drab and well worn. A charge card is available for use during your stay which is great but I would have preferred a receipt to avoid any dispute at the end of your holiday. I kept a manual record which was easy for me but if it was a family it would be difficult . In fairness my bill was correct, but the hotel system is geared to produce receipts the staff just don't use it. We enjoyed our holiday so much that we intend to have another in the future and we will certainly try to stay at the Majestic.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the 3 or 4 floor
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 July 2013

I would like to emphasize that by and large I found this hotel to be of a very high standard, hence the 4 star rating. Whilst there were several very positive aspects of our trip, there were also some negatives; however I have noticed that any reviews which are not totally complimentary or praising in nature - not just of the hotel but the resort/area in general - are immediately pounced upon by the management who seem to think that these reviews are written for their benefit and people's views are there to be dissected and mocked. There are several sarcastic 'management responses' which are often inappropriate and childish ("wow...I can't believe you didn't like it...all I can say is wow" etc) which are completely uncalled for. It is ridiculous and unrealistic to expect 100% of guests to all uniformly give completely positive feedback. Therefore I would like to state firstly and clearly that whilst the management reserves the right to respond to guest reviews, this review is based on my subjective opinions, and is for the benefit of those potential guests who have not yet made a decision upon which accomodation to select and would like to learn more about the hotel and surrounding areas. Clearly, this is the purpose of tripadvisor. The management's opinions about MY opinions, and any pithy remarks they may wish to submit regarding my experiences, are an irrelevant distraction and unasked for.
The hotel is very beautiful and has a chic 1960s charm with very elegantly appointed public areas and a lovely pool. It is peaceful, airy, sophisticated and relaxing. Our room (which was not ready upon check-in) was large with a king-sized bed and was cleaned daily. Despite what has previously been written, ALL of the rooms have a side sea view as the property is at a 90 degree angle to the coast. The rooms at the front face the main road and the pool, whilst the rooms at the rear (which is where ours was) overlook the hills and hotel gardens. Our view was quite lovely. The staff as reported are polite, friendly and efficient. We stayed at the Majestic on a half board basis; breakfast was the same every day (scrambled eggs, tinned hot dogs, bacon and the usual cold accompaniments.) Dinner was a la carte with 4 options of starter and main course. The hotel restaurant is very elegant and the service is generally very good. There was live entertainment on a couple of occasions (a singer with a keyboard.)
I would recommend this hotel for those who want a pleasant base from which to explore the surrounding region. It is good for couples, singles, older people and those with older children. For those who have not been to this area before and are unsure what to expect (and clearly many people are unsure - again, another purpose of tripadvisor)) be aware that the landscape here is extreme with regards to steep cliff tops and sheer drops. This means the cliff top views are very dramatic and stunningly beautiful - but do not expect to be able to walk along the cliff tops or the sea shore, you can not. The area does not contain any beaches at all; the sea is largely unaccessible and is reached via hundreds of steps, or lifts (which you have to pay to use) built into the cliff sides. When you get to the bottom you will find man made lidos and jetties as there is virtually no sand to speak of. These jetties have sunbeds arranged on them in a very cramped fashion and you will be charged between 12 and 18 euros per person to hire one. Although we had, of course, read about this before we came we were not prepared for the extortionate prices for sunbeds nor did we quite anticipate the complete absence of coastal access. I like to walk along the coast and you can not do this at all here. It felt very closed in and claustrophobic.
Sant Agnello can be described in a variety of ways depending upon your perspective. It is a small village which is very old fashioned and quaint, the hands of 21st centruy progress do not seem to have touched this area in many respects. Like the hotel it is charming and lovely. It is what I would imagine Italy was like 50 years ago. It is 1 km away from Sorrento and will, unbelievably, cost you 20 euros to get a taxi there. Nightlife is restricted to sitting in one of a handful of wine bars watching the world go by. As I said, depending on your outlook, this may sound like heaven or alternatively very, very boring after a couple of nights. Sorrento is bigger and busier, meaning there are a larger selection of pavement cafes and wine bars from which to sit and watch other people looking back at you as they walk by.
Italian food is nothing like the so-called Italian food we eat in the UK. Our idea of italian food is actually much more like American Italian food. Authentic Italian food is a lot more basic and simple. Whilst it is delicious, it is also very plain and all restaurants without exception serve the same dishes. By the end of the week we were demented with the bland, repetative and boring food. Of course, as a tourist, you travel to Italy and want to eat Italian food; but not everyone in the area is a foreign tourist, and if you fancy a change one day you will struggle to find anything beyond pasta and pizza, and that applies to the hotel food too. I have never travelled anywhere like it; all of the restaurants serving only Italian food - whilst it is commendable in some ways and shows pride in their national dishes, it is also very insular and more than a little bit weird, given that it is 2013 and most people in the world nowadays enjoy sampling the cuisines of other countries. It is the equivalent of going to an English town and only being able to eat Sunday dinners and fish & chips, nothing else.
You can get the train to Naples and Pompeii from near the hotel (Pompeii is highly recommended.) The bus service is like something from a 1960s Carry On film. Some of you may find that to be 'charming' but a 17 mile journey to nearby Positano taking 3 hours is not amusing, trust me. The buses were crammed dangerously full and we waited 2 hours on the way back for a bus, totally ridiculous and primitive. BTW I recommend Positano too. Very beautiful, and at the bottom of the million or so steps you have to tackle to get down the steep hills and cliffs, lo and behold.... there is actually a small beach where you can put you towel down and lie on it FOR FREE!!!! I wish we had stayed there, incidentally, instead of Sant Agnello.
At the hotel, after having read a few reviews on here, we made a point of paying for all of our drinks and having nothing signed to our room to avoid any discrepancies. However, upon checkout, the receptionist STILL presented us with 2 seperate bills, totalling 20 euros, which we had clearly already paid for. I insisted I had paid for them both, the receptionist shrugged and said I had not. It turned into a highly distasteful 'my word against your word' situation which was totally unacceptable. Judging from several other reviews, this seems to happen quite often, which reflects very poor business ethics on the hotels' part and is tantamount to trying to steal from guests. In the end it became very uncomfortable and the receptionist more or less said "Well, if you insist, what can I do?" It was disgraceful - but he offered me no apology whatsoever. If the management does not want events such as these being written about on forums like this, then they must ensure such things do not occur, and implement a more effective payment system. It really is inexcusable.
In conclusion the hotel is very pleasant indeed but we would not go back to that part of Italy again. I am glad we went but once is enough, it is eye poppingly expensive, and I did not enjoy paying 15 euros to be packed like a sardine onto a sunbed on a jetty and by the end of the week I was sick of bland food. I like people watching to a degree but we were equally bored of the nightlife by the end of the week too. I understand that the landscape is not as extreme to the south of Sorrento so if you like strolling by the sea - or just being by the sea (there are only so many times you can admire the sea from atop a huge cliff without actually being able to get anywhere near it), it would be worth looking elsewhere.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
7  Thank EMRCC
Geppi R, Responsabile relazioni con la clientela at Majestic Palace Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2013

Dear Elise252,

Thank you very much for choosing the Majestic Palace Hotel for your stay in Sorrento.
Even if for you is irrilevant, we would like to reply to your review:
We do not claim/expect to get 100% positive feedback, we know it isn't possible, we know that we are not perfect but we work very hard as a Team to try to do our best to improve and to make the stay of our guests as memorable as possible.
We know very well that guests write on TriAdvisor their personal opinion, we know very well that TriAdvisor is based on subjective opinions and is for the benefit of readers and potential guests and of course we are very grateful to all our guests who decide to write a review and sharing their experience. We don't believe absolutely that our management responses are sarcastics or often inappropriate, this is for example your personal and subjective opinion... and we thank you for expressing you opinion about this.
I'm very sorry not being in agreement with you but our management responses (for us) are not an irrilevant distraction as you wrote... TripAdvisor encourage us to write a management reply. We reserves the right to reply to guests review, positive or negative. We have the right to reply especially when someone write things that are not exact or not completely accurate as to don't give false info to our readers or potential guests.
We do apologize for the inconvenience you had at check-out, we are very sorry and we'll trying to improve the account system. In any case we'll give to our guest before they paying, a pre-bill, a non ufficial bill just to check all the charges are correct or not. Sorry also for the behaviour of our receptionist.
Anyway we would like to thank you for taking time to write a review and for sharing your experience on TriAdvisor, we are very glad to know that you appreciated our hotel and his charm, our elegant commons area, pool and your room.

Best Regards
Giuseppe Cannavale

Reviewed 24 July 2013

Have just come back and wanted to say that this hotel is ideal as a base to explore the fantastic sites of the area. We liked being outside Sorrento as we don't like constant hustle and bustle. It was ideal for with a local shop on the corner where you can buy train tickets the train station itself and the local supermarket. We went with Thomson but the help of the Hotel staff was the thing that stood out for us. We paid for a room upgrade with Thomson and basically this got us from the ground garden rooms to the second floor. We didn't like our room and paid the hotel to upgrade again to a room on the 4th Floor. Our advice would be to sort your upgrade with the hotel to avoid paying twice.

One bit of advice if you plan ahead you can get a ticket for train and key historic site entries for around 20 euros each! This is a bargin but even if you miss this buy a three day train and bus ticket Unico tourist ticket for 20 euros each and the 5 site entry ticket a further 20 euros which will get you into Pompeii, Herculeanum! Avoiding expensive tours.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank JuAnontour
Reviewed 23 July 2013

My wife and I recently returned from an eleven night stay at 'The Palace' 1st-12th July. Very friendly welcome and a speedy check in and we were 'checking out' our room and massive balcony. Great high ceilings plenty of storage space and working air con, a great start. A couple of people have said the rooms were dated, our room was all we hoped for spacious and loads of character if we had wanted modern we would have found a Hilton or a Radisson Blu. Staying a moment about our room we both slept well the entire time towels got changed just about every day without having to ask, our bed was 'turned down' every night when we had gone for dinner. Food was excellent there was only one dish my wife didn't care for the entire time. Waiters were attentive and efficient and wore smiles all the time...refreshing. It was my wife's birthday on the 4th of July, one of the reasons we had come away. As we finished our evening meal the lights dimmed and a cake appeared, 'complete with firework' at our table and Happy birthday was sang. As we had told no-one of the special date we assume they noticed the significance of the date from her passport...lovely surprise my wife was 'chuffed to bits we were impressed. Wifi was excellent it didn't take long to notice there was more than one station so if one signal was weak we connected through another no problem so much so I video called my 96 year old father in Belfast on Skype every night.
The pool was medium sized spotlessly clean, we did know about the gym and spa but that was not of interest to us so we did not investigate. The 'Palace' is in a quiet area but if you look in a 500 metre radius there are several bars and eating places, we tended to use Tony's bar a couple of hundred metres to the top of the road, the traffic is frenetic and around half five to half six we used to watch the spectacle unfold before going for dinner. A great place to eat for lunch we found to be Donna Rosa 100 metres from the hotel Enzo the perfect host and the food sublime especially his mum's ravioli and Lasagne.
Sorrento is a twenty minute walk away by the 'safe route' i.e. t/r out of hotel and t/l at top of the road to t'r you take your life in your hands. We didn't use the bus we found it easier to pay €1.30 and you're there in 3 or 4 mins to the middle of Sorrento. Plenty to see in Sorrento high walled streets so comfortably cooler, loads of bars/restauants to choose from, we lunched at Blu Water a couple of times especially liked their Large beer (it's a stein).
Plenty of things to see Coach trip to The Amalphi coast a must, Capri a must Pompei, Vesuvius and Herculaneum a short train ride away.
So if you're looking for a good hotel that is clean, serves great food with very friendly staff in a quiet area to be a base for your exploring we highly recommend the Hotel Majestic Palace.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank 4ontours
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sant'Agnello
Hotel Mediterraneo Sorrento
#53 of 100 in Sorrento
Cristina Hotel
Cristina Hotel
#3 of 19 in Sant'Agnello

Been to Majestic Palace Hotel? Share your experiences!