We’ve just returned from an excellent stay at the majestic palace hotel, we had a superior room on the 2nd floor at the back of the hotel with a lovely balcony overlooking the orange groves, with a view to Capri in the distance. The room was very clean as was the bathroom. The maid even returned to our room in the evening to turn down the bed covers.
The room has a small fridge stocked with small bottles of beer and spirits if you want to use them. There is no kettle to use in the room; we take a small travel kettle to make a cup of tea. Also you can buy your own bottles of beer in the local mini markets and keep in the fridge.
Food at the hotel is very good at dinner there is a choice of 5 different starters and 5 main courses. All the desserts are laid out on the top table so you can go back as many times as you like. We had a Neapolitan night, and a Grand buffed night which were both very good
The hotel is a 25min walk to the centre of Sorrento, we walked the back route its much quieter than the main road but still busy .You can also use the hotel curtsey bus into Sorrento, they drop you outside the museum and the Circumvesuviana railway station is not far away. Can’t say we were very impressed with Sorrento town Itself it’s a bit of a something and nothing town overrun with American tourists off the cruse ships.
Don’t book any trips with the tour companies they are a rip off do it yourself .A half day trip to Pompeii with the tour company is €33 each plus you still have to pay the €11 entrance fee per person . So a couple on the tour companies half day tour to Pompei pay €88 in total .We did 4 trips ourselves 3 on the Circumvesuviana railway from Sant’Agnello
If you can only visit one Pompei or Herculaneum go to Herculaneum it’s much smaller than Pompei and Herculaneum much better preserved.
Trip 1 Pompeii
Two return ticket from Sant’Agnello to Pompei about €7 entrance fee €22 total €29.
Buy a ticket at Sant’Agnello Circumvesuviana railway station; ask for POMPEI - SCAVI get returns. On the wall in near the ticket booth you will see two orange colored boxes put your ticket into one of the boxes to validate your ticket. Get off at POMPEI - SCAVI VILLA MISTERI you can’t miss it just follow the crowed .Walk out of the station turn right walk 50 meters up the road past the souvenir sellers and your at the entrance gate to.Pompei. Visits are free of charge for EU citizens under 18 or over 65 years old, and half price for EU citizens aged 18-24 and EU permanent school teachers.
Trip 2 Cable car to Mount Fatio
Buy a ticket at Sant’Agnello Circumvesuviana railway station; ask for CASTELLAMMARE DI STABIA it’s the town with all the cranes. The cable car station is on the on the same platform as you get off the train. Mount Fatio 1131 meters high has fantastic views over the bay of Naples and Capri there is a small café and also good walks .Make sure you take a warm coat with you.
Trip 3 Herculaneum
Buy a ticket at Sant’Agnello Circumvesuviana railway station €5 return; ask for ERCOLANO - SCAVI this is were Herculaneum is, it’s 1hour on the train from Sant’Agnello Get off at ERCOLANO – SCAVI walk out of the station down the hill to the bottom about 300 meters to the entrance of Herculaneum .Entrance fee €11 Visits are free of charge for EU citizens under 18 or over 65 years old, and half price for EU citizens aged 18-24 and EU permanent school teachers.
Trip 4 Amalfi by boat.
We caught the 9 25am Metrò del Mare ferry from Sorrento, €22 return per person 1 hour journey to Amalfi wonderful views all the way .You can catch the tourist bus up to Ravello form the harbor.We caught the 15.45 ferry back to Sorrento just in time for a shower and drink before dinner.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Immersed in a big park by citrus groves and beautiful villas, the Hotel Majestic Palace welcomes its guests in a refined and warm atmosphere at the same time. Thanks to its location, within walking distance from the sea and the main square of Sorrento, the Hotel is the ideal starting point for discovering the most beautiful and evocative sights of Sorrento area, Amalfi, Capri, Pompeii, etc., to spend in short, a seaside vacation culture or relaxing moments. Built in a Mediterranean style, the Hotel Majestic Palace has large indoor and outdoor spaces. Attention to even the smallest details, the Majestic Palace Hotel offers to the guests excellent services and facilities: pool restaurant at lunch, pizzeria, Don Geppi Restaurant open for dinner, swimming pool with Jacuzzi, solarium, beauty center and possibility to enjoy beautiful excursions by sea and by land. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, TravelUp, Travel Republic (UK), TripOnline SA, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, HotelsClick, 5viajes2012 S.L., HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your Majestic Palace Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hotel Majestic Palace
- Majestic Palace Sorrento
- Majestic Palace Sant Agnello
- Majestic Palace Hotel Italy/Province Of Naples