We had booked a package deal with Thomson to stay at the Majestic Palace. Things didn't get off to a good start when arriving in our room we were very disappointed. We had asked Thomson for a room with a Balcony and we ended up with a basement room. The Tv in the room did not work, the safe was broken, spiders everywhere, sheets with marks on, it was not clean especially the bathroom and felt very small. Me and my partner were not happy and we are not ones to complain but we both decided to go back to reception and have a word. The receptionist was very helpful and he said he would change our room, he explained to us that we could only have a basement room as Thomson only book so many rooms and that was all that they had available (and this was true for another hotel in Sorrento as we travelled in a group who were also unhappy with their room in another hotel that Thomson had put them in). The receptionist let us look at two rooms until we were happy. The room we had chosen was much better, the tv worked, it was clean and more spacious and we were much happier. Although we were in the basement (bottom floor) it did grow on us as it was a lot cooler being lower down as when we went into our friends hotel their room it was very hot and uncomfortable.
Things then got a lot better, we had our evening meal that night and I must say WOW.
We went half board at this hotel so we had a meal every night and I really thought I wasn't going to like the food as I am a very fussy eater but I was pleasantly surprised.
WE LOVED THE FOOD.
Breakfast there was plenty of choice, you could have a cooked breakfast consisting of scrambled egg, bacon, sausage, beans, tomato. Or cereal, cakes, cheeses, cold meats, toast, fruit. And if that wasn't enough then if you wanted something that was not available on the buffet you could order from a menu but at a small extra cost.
Dinner was amazing every night, I don't eat vegetables and even I could find something to eat. Me and my partner loved the food, we never had a night that we did not like anything. There was usually 4 choices for starter, main and desert. The restaurant staff were amazing and couldn't do enough for you, they got to know their customers which was really nice too.
The Pasta and Ravioli was exceptionally good.
The room was ok, very classic Italian with high ceilings. Towels were changed every day, beds were always made.
Be aware basement rooms do get a fair few spiders and large mosquitos.
Tv wasn't great they had sky but the only channel we could get in English was the world news which was repeated every 25 mins.
Very cold and very deep, I wouldn't say it was suitable for nervous swimmers, there was a small Jacuzzi bit that was more shallow but a child would not be able to stand up in there.
Leaves kept falling in from the trees but it was always being cleaned out which was great.
Alcoholic drinks weren't cheap but we found this everywhere in Sorrento.
I recommend the free Thomson walk around Sorrento its gets you to know the area and find all the best places to eat drink and shop.
Excursions with Thomson were extremely expensive that we could not afford to do any of them.
The walk into the main square is about 20-30mins, I recommend you to turn left out the hotel and go the back way as the road is much quieter and the scenery is nicer with a view of the sea. It can be a little dangerous going right out the hotel and onto the main roads as now and again you had no choice to walk on the road and the traffic was hell. Be careful when crossing zebra crossings as they don't mean the same as in England (CARS DO NOT STOP) even a police car nearly ran us over. We never got used to the buses as we had no idea how to get tickets and when we bought bus tickets from the hotel the bus drivers wouldn't let us on as it was the wrong bus but they all looked the same. You need to buy tickets before you get on the bus, you cannot pay once on there but where you get them from we have no idea.
Thomson introduced us to an amazing ice-cream place on the tour with over 30 different flavours we went nearly every day.
There was one club in Sorrento called Fauno notte club which was great and lots of bars in Sorrento itself.
Shopping was good but expensive.
Overall we had a great time in Sorrento and Majestic Palace, the staff were great and always friendly, helpful and greeted you with a smile. Lovely people. And the food was just out of this world amazing.
Although Sorrento is not for those scared of heights.
Thank you Majestic Palace for a lovely holiday.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Immersed in a big park by citrus groves and beautiful villas, the Hotel Majestic Palace welcomes its guests in a refined and warm atmosphere at the same time. Thanks to its location, within walking distance from the sea and the main square of Sorrento, the Hotel is the ideal starting point for discovering the most beautiful and evocative sights of Sorrento area, Amalfi, Capri, Pompeii, etc., to spend in short, a seaside vacation culture or relaxing moments. Built in a Mediterranean style, the Hotel Majestic Palace has large indoor and outdoor spaces. Attention to even the smallest details, the Majestic Palace Hotel offers to the guests excellent services and facilities: pool restaurant at lunch, pizzeria, Don Geppi Restaurant open for dinner, swimming pool with Jacuzzi, solarium, beauty center and possibility to enjoy beautiful excursions by sea and by land. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Priceline, Agoda, Travel Republic (UK), Odigeo, TravelUp, Traveltool, S.L.U., TripOnline SA, Cancelon, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly and HRS so you can book your Majestic Palace Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hotel Majestic Palace
- Majestic Palace Sorrento
- Majestic Palace Sant Agnello
- Majestic Palace Hotel Italy/Province Of Naples