My wife and I stayed at the Majestic Palace from 20 July until 3 August and overall had a great time.
I hope this helps people considering this hotel and those who have already booked. Email me on Neilsmokeyrobinson@hotmail.com for more info.
1. Food is excellent, and isn't buffet-style (except for one night a week). There is a menu posted each day outside the restaurant showing what is for dinner that night. The food is of a high quality and is predominantly Italian - this seemed to bemuse some guests around us!! The gala dinner on Thursday nights is great (mandolin and acoustic guitar players/singers). Service is good in the restaurant.
2. Pool is a good size and there are enough loungers if you get there at a reasonable time. "Towel reservers" were all English/Irish despite what people say about Germans!!
3. Location - for us this was a benefit. 15 min walk to Sorrento (the back way, i.e., not the Corza Italiano, is the best way as it is quieter) means you are not in the hustle and bustle of Sorrento but can get there easily enough.
The hotel is close to the Sant Agnello train station for the Circumvesuviana - ie you can get trains from here to Pompei, Herculaneum, Vesuvius and Naples very cheaply.
The local shops in Sant Agnello are cheaper (for drinks, snacks etc) than Sorrento itself
4. There is a good restaurant ("Bar 13") just up the road from the hotel - decent quality food, good value and open longer than the pool bar
5. Staff are good, can all (pretty much) speak English
6. Guests are on the whole English, and are a mix of families and couples. Most were older than ourselves (27/28)
7. Views from the 5th floor terrace are great and there was rarely anyone up there
1. Prices at the hotel bar are not cheap (€4.50 for a large beer, €2.5 for a 200ml soft drink, €7.00 at least for a spirit and a mixer)2. €5.00 a day for using the in-room safe is a joke; as is
3. €5.00 a day for using the minibar for your own drinks (but see tips below)
4. Rooms are basic (typically Italian) though are clean
5. Nightlife in Sorrento is centred around eating out rather than bars for the sake of drinking per se - this was fine for us most of the time but on occasions where you didn't want to have a huge meal but did want to have a night out, presented us with not much choice.
6. No real at-table service in the bar at night (although they will do it if you ask but it isn't what they aim to do)
1. Head to the grocers on the main road to buy drinks for during the day or pre-dinner (cans of soft drinks are €0.6 and beers the same) - put these in the minibar during the day but remember to remove them in the morning whilst the maid cleans!
2. English newspapers are available if you want them - head out of the hotel, turn left, follow the road as it bends (and the shop is on the right hand)
3. Unless you really need to (e.g. if you have difficulty walking), don't use the Tour Operators to do the excursions - all of them (except possibly the Amalfi drive and Positana, which we didn't do) can be done a lot cheaper than what MyTravel were quoting. (An example was Herculaneum (train fare €3.00, coach fare plus guide quoted by MyTravel was €31.00!!) This also means you get to use the local trains rather than spending your time on coaches. Guides are freely available at each of the attractions for about €10 per person)
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Immersed in a big park by citrus groves and beautiful villas, the Hotel Majestic Palace welcomes its guests in a refined and warm atmosphere at the same time. Thanks to its location, within walking distance from the sea and the main square of Sorrento, the Hotel is the ideal starting point for discovering the most beautiful and evocative sights of Sorrento area, Amalfi, Capri, Pompeii, etc., to spend in short, a seaside vacation culture or relaxing moments. Built in a Mediterranean style, the Hotel Majestic Palace has large indoor and outdoor spaces. Attention to even the smallest details, the Majestic Palace Hotel offers to the guests excellent services and facilities: pool restaurant at lunch, pizzeria, Don Geppi Restaurant open for dinner, swimming pool with Jacuzzi, solarium, beauty center and possibility to enjoy beautiful excursions by sea and by land. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with TravelUp, Booking.com, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your Majestic Palace Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hotel Majestic Palace
- Majestic Palace Sorrento
- Majestic Palace Sant Agnello
- Majestic Palace Hotel Italy/Province Of Naples