“Lovely hotel”

Ranked #10 of 19 Hotels in Sant'Agnello
West Yorkshire UK
“Lovely hotel”
Reviewed 18 August 2014 via mobile

We really enjoyed our stay here. The room was spacious with a lovely sunny balcony to sit out on in a morning and evening. The staff at reception, the dining room, bar and cleaning staff were polite, friendly and did their jobs to a high standard. The only problem was the usual one of people reserving sunbeds and then leaving them most of the day even when requested not to.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Lilycat63

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (200)
Gravesend, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 August 2014

Sorrento is beautiful, unfortunately the Parco Del Sole is not!
On arrival at the hotel we were given our room key and the TV remote and pointed in the direction of our room, we were, in fact, on the first floor but the receptionist failed to tell us this so it took a while to locate our room. The narrow corridors, red carpet and tatty curtains didn't give us much hope when we opened our door the room was very disapointing with narrow, hard beds, musty smelling curtains and very tired decor. Our balcony was tiny with rusty railings and one broken wicker chair.
We had, unfortunately, booked half board and as we arrived late, 21.30 ish, we had been left some cold vegetables, meat(not sure what) and a hard boiled egg for our dinner- yuk! We went across the road to a local bar and had pizza which was very nice. The food at the hotel was ok but nothing more and we chose to eat out most evenings.
The rooms are kept very clean and towels changed daily. Hotel staff are friendly and usually helpful. The pool area is clean with comfortable sunbeds and fresh towels.
The hotel entrance is lovely but the rest of the hotel is very tired and shabby, most of the balconys are rusty with tatty wicker chairs and nowhere to dry swimwear, the paint is peeling from exterior walls and the roof. Not at all what we expected from a 4 star hotel, very disappointing.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Bridgend, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 August 2014

just got back from a 11 night stay here and I must say people are far to picky continental breakfast exactly as it says ---NOT BRITISH FRY UP Staff were superb nothing too much trouble in fact they were far more helpful than our Rep .A short walk all on the flat (15 mins) to Piazza Tasso in Sorrento with an abundance on shops and restaurants on the way.5 Mins from railway station to Pompeii and Naples lots of small bars and restaurants nearby and cheaper than Sorrento

Room Tip: ask for room overlooking the pool with a balcony and you get free wifi
2 Thank John2jones
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 August 2014

I struggled to decide between a 2 or 3 rating for this hotel but settled on the lower because felt genuinely disappointed at the value for money that this hotel failed to offer.
My boyfriend and I shared one room and our friends (a couple with a two year old) stayed in another. While our room was clean, it was desperately in need of an uplift: the carpets were old (and very poorly fitted in the corridors leading up to it) and there were scuff marks on the walks and the sink was badly cracked. Our friends' room was smarter with wooden floors but their balcony was badly rusty and chairs looked literally on their last legs. Although none of these disturbed our stay, it is not what I would expect from a 4 star hotel. There was no fridge in either room and we both failed to get hot water on one night of our stay which the hotel were unable to resolve. The free wifi access was intermittent at best.
We were also surprised to find that the hotel did not have a single iron in the whole place that we could use-instead we were expect to pay €5 to have a shirt laundered.
The most disappointing point for me though was the food. Instant coffee, cordial badged as fruit juice, tinned mushrooms and veg-all seem small things but add up to a series of disappointing dining experiences at this hotel and again not what you expect of a 4 star.
I would add, however, that all of the dining staff were very attentive, friendly and helpful.

1 Thank Ceryse N
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 August 2014

I just got back from a week in the Parco Del Sole (with Thomson Holidays) and had the most amazing week. I didn't want to leave Sorrento!

The hotel was exactly as I expected it to be, having stayed in Italy on a few occasions and read these reviews. Firstly, lots of people on here seem to be focusing on the decor like it's what makes a holiday complete..... Yes it's a bit dated, but clean and tidy with staff who are just lovely.
We did not pay a huge amount for a week here, half board in a busy tourist resort (as I'm sure most do not) - so we weren't expecting perfection..... and I'd say we got a lot more than our money's worth if I'm perfectly honest!

The food was fantastic. We only opted for Half Board because it wasn't much more and could be easy after long days etc, but we ended up only going out once for dinner, on the final night (at Il Delfino in the Marina Grande - incredible).
Every night there were 5 different menu choices, all very tasty and something for everyone. There was also a lovely evening where there was a buffet in the gardens with local dancers. The waiters were brilliant - couldn't be more helpful or friendly or kind. I can look over any old fashioned wardrobes for that sort of service!

The room was a good size, bathroom very big, bed nice and comfy, plenty of storage space, flat screen TV, free bottle of local wine on arrival, great air con, free safe..... Not sure what else is necessary unless you're at the Ritz! I wouldn't hesitate to stay there again.

The pool was a good size and even though the area was usually quite busy, the pool didn't seem overcrowded and there were plenty of loungers with free towels outside. Cocktails by the pool were also nice.

Shuttle bus was quick and easy and prompt.

San Angello itself is quite sweet if you have a look around. Indeed we found ourselves staying locally rather than going into Sorrento town most evenings. Some of the hotels right overlooking the water (The Hotel Corallo was our favourite) are very welcoming to non residents and there are some wonderful views on offer, without the busy roads of the main town.

Basically, for what you pay for this hotel, you get an awful lot. I think people need to look at the big picture sometimes........

Room Tip: Apparently rooms higher up are nicer. Ours was on the 1st floor and was absolutely fine.
4 Thank laufri86
Linlithgow
Reviewed 16 August 2014

We cannot recommend this hotel highly enough. Just returned from two very sunny and happy weeks in Italy as guests. The staff are all absolutely wonderful, attentive, friendly and cannot do enough for you, the service was excellent at all times, the standards are top notch and the dining experiences were most enjoyable. In a great location just on the outskirts of Sorrento the hotel offers a convenient bus service and is a great base for travelling all around the Sorrento, Amalfi, Positano, Ravello, Pompeii and areas.

Best holiday we have had for a while and a big thank you to all the people who work hard there to make it such a delightful experience!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank LinlithgowDianeM
Tyne & Wear
Reviewed 15 August 2014

I had to cancel my original review of this hotel because I wanted to add an update and Tripadvisor wouldn’t let me have 2 reviews for the same place.
1st review - Having read mixed reviews about the hotel I was positive that I would fall into the satisfied category - sadly not. Firstly I have to agree with all of the negative comments about the rooms. We have paid extra to Thomsons for superior rooms but I have no idea what our room is supposed to be superior to. The decor is tired and jaded and although it must have been grand at one time it is badly in need of some love and attention now. We were moved to this room after complaining about the first one they allocated to us on arrival. It smelled musty as soon as you walked in and was very dark and dingy. All credit to the receptionist though - he changed it straight away without any fuss.
The pool - on a positive note its a nice pool with plenty of sunbeds and towels provided. On a less positive note the drinks/snack bar is woefully inadequate. There is a limited cocktail menu but when I ordered one last night I couldnt have it because the barman didnt have the ingredients. I picked another - same story!! Today at lunchtime we went for something to eat. It was only 1.15 but they had no pizzas left!! We will leave the pool and go out for lunch for the rest of our stay.
There is a shuttle bus run by the hotel into Sorrento several times a day. We went down to catch it this afternoon. It was due to leave at 16.35. The timetable tells you to arrive 10 minutes early. We got there at 16.22 and a very surly and rude driver started shouting at me and pointing at his watch saying he didnt leave until half past. Then he started up and drove off leaving us standing there in the searing heat while he went to another hotel to pick up first before coming back for us!! I will keep you advised of anything else worth sharing!!

Updated Review - Well further to my first review and nearing the end of our holiday now I have moved the rating up a notch. The hotel is still tired and worn looking and in desparate need of some tlc but the majority of the staff are friendly, helpful and willing to please so the efforts of those staff needs to be acknowledged. The waiting staff at breakfast are always pleasant and attentive. Special mention to Julio at the pool bar - this guy knows the business is always cheery and helpful and unlike his colleagues he can make a cocktail. The room maids do an excellent job and always speak in passing.
My disappointment with PdS is that I had an expectation having paid extra for a superior room. Had I not paid extra my expectations would not have been high enough to be dashed. I mentioned the room to the Thomsons rep and she spoke to reception about it. She came back to me with the explanation that all rooms are the same size and similar furnishing/decor. The "superior" rooms are above ground floor with a VIEW!! Our view was the roof of a function suite!! So the fault lies with Thomsons as I would not have paid extra for a room with a view - your room is for sleeping in - you dont come to Italy to sit in your room looking at the view.
Generally speaking its not so bad and if you are coming here and my review helps to manage your expectations then you will not be disappointed as I was. That being said we have had a fantastic holiday - its about who you are with and what you do with your time and we have had a lovely break and eaten at some fantastic restaurants.
I would have reviewed a little bar called Tonys Bar but its not on Trip Advisor. Its on Corso Italia in Sant Agnello - turn right out of hotel and its just a few minutes walk along on same side of the road. Tony is a character - he will be delighted to make your aquaintance and hopefully welcome you back for return visits on your way back to hotel - tell him I sent you - Ciao Tony from Caroline and Graham x

Room Tip: Ask for a room above ground level - they are classed as the superior rooms because they have a "...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank CBenny57
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sant'Agnello
Grand Hotel la Pace
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,044 reviews
Grand Hotel Flora
Grand Hotel Flora
#56 of 100 in Sorrento

Been to Grand Hotel Parco Del Sole? Share your experiences!