“Excellent hotel exceeded expectations!”

Grand Hotel Parco Del Sole
Ranked #11 of 20 Hotels in Sant'Agnello
Reviewed 22 August 2014

We stayed here from 15th-22nd August 2014 and I can't say a bad word about the hotel. It truly exceeded our expectations as a four star property and while people say they feel the decor is dated they obviously don't understand the idea of a traditional Italian hotel.

The hotel decor is lovely from top to bottom both communal areas and rooms. The hotel is lovely and clean, which takes me onto the maid service. The rooms were cleaned every single day whilst we were out enjoying ourselves. Sometimes twice a day if we were still out traipsing around the streets of Sorrrento or climbing the 1000 steps up to Capri. If we happened to be in the room getting ready for a hearty Italian meal in the square they would always knock and check the room was to our expected standard. I felt this was a really nice touch and is something you don't receive in many other countries or resorts.

If you are expecting a large balcony, then you may be upset however the views do not disappoint and who wants to be sat there watching when you can be out there doing!

Outside the pool is a gorgeous area to spend a day relaxing. It's not loud nor overcrowded and you should never have trouble to get yourself a sun lounger. A very nice sun lounger at that with a canopy overhead for shading your eyes or more if you're not a sun worshipper like me. If you don't want to venture out for something to eat, then no need. The hotel pool bar does reasonably priced snacks, drinks and more and you don't need to carry money around the pool with you, you can sign and pay at the end of your stay. (Just make sure you don't loose track of how many cocktails you have ;))

Speaking about the bar brings me to the restaurant. We stayed on a B&B basis so used the restaurant every morning and like I mentioned sometimes ate at the pool snack bar. Every member of staff that we encountered throughout our stay whether this be in the restaurant, pool bar or reception were all extremely friendly and helpful and couldn't do enough for us.

I see people say breakfast in the restaurant is basic I say people need to go with an open mind. Yes they have the same choices each morning, don't pile your plate on the first day! Decide what you're going to have, maybe something different each morning (I don't know - just a suggestion) ... it isn't going to disappear. For us we had no issues with breakfast, plenty of options from warm cooked breakfast to the normal cereals or yoghurt and then you have the Italians kind of breakfast ham and cheese or ....cake! This pleased some of our party as you would expect!

I could talk all day as we really enjoyed our stay in the hotel and our week in Sorrento. Just one point to finish on would be the hotels location this is maybe the only thing I would change as there is a 20 minute walk to the centre of Sorrento. Which we walked at least once a day if not more this was sometimes because of the lack of times that the free shuttle bus operated. This could maybe be improved as the times just weren't always suitable for when we wanted to venture out. (However this is me being fussy.) It did not put me off the hotel at all as its location also meant it was quieter on an evening.

We would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone who asked and return again! :D

If my review is of any interest to you please check out my reviews on some of the restaurants and transport links in Sorrento :)

Room Tip: Free wifi in lobby and pool area but not in-room.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
11  Thank MsBb920
Write a ReviewReviews (1,268)

Reviewed 18 August 2014

Just arrived back and we have had a great time. Hotel very clean and staff are really friendly. The location of the hotel is good, just back from the main road which can get very noisy but as the hotel is set back you don't notice the noise. The pool area is good and it doesn't open til 9 am so you don't need to get up in the middle of the night to put your towels down! it's first come first served for a sunbed although we didn't struggle getting one if we were late coming down. Towels are available for poolside use and they are clean and fresh daily. The rooms are cleaned daily and there is a free shuttle bus service into sorrento provided by the hotel. The walk into sorrento takes around 20 minutes along the main road. Traffic is usual Italian style with lots of mopeds around. There is a really good pizza place to the right of the hotel with reasonable prices called Il Buon Boccone. Lots of lovely restaurants in sorrento town. Would recommend a boat trip and site seeing trip as lots of great stuff to see. Train station only 5 mins away and easy to arrange your own trips such as a visit to pompei. A return ticket was only €3.50. Would definitely go back to this hotel and this location.

• Stayed: August 2014
2  Thank odettechit
Reviewed 18 August 2014 via mobile

We really enjoyed our stay here. The room was spacious with a lovely sunny balcony to sit out on in a morning and evening. The staff at reception, the dining room, bar and cleaning staff were polite, friendly and did their jobs to a high standard. The only problem was the usual one of people reserving sunbeds and then leaving them most of the day even when requested not to.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lilycat63
Reviewed 17 August 2014

Sorrento is beautiful, unfortunately the Parco Del Sole is not!
On arrival at the hotel we were given our room key and the TV remote and pointed in the direction of our room, we were, in fact, on the first floor but the receptionist failed to tell us this so it took a while to locate our room. The narrow corridors, red carpet and tatty curtains didn't give us much hope when we opened our door the room was very disapointing with narrow, hard beds, musty smelling curtains and very tired decor. Our balcony was tiny with rusty railings and one broken wicker chair.
We had, unfortunately, booked half board and as we arrived late, 21.30 ish, we had been left some cold vegetables, meat(not sure what) and a hard boiled egg for our dinner- yuk! We went across the road to a local bar and had pizza which was very nice. The food at the hotel was ok but nothing more and we chose to eat out most evenings.
The rooms are kept very clean and towels changed daily. Hotel staff are friendly and usually helpful. The pool area is clean with comfortable sunbeds and fresh towels.
The hotel entrance is lovely but the rest of the hotel is very tired and shabby, most of the balconys are rusty with tatty wicker chairs and nowhere to dry swimwear, the paint is peeling from exterior walls and the roof. Not at all what we expected from a 4 star hotel, very disappointing.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 August 2014

just got back from a 11 night stay here and I must say people are far to picky continental breakfast exactly as it says ---NOT BRITISH FRY UP Staff were superb nothing too much trouble in fact they were far more helpful than our Rep .A short walk all on the flat (15 mins) to Piazza Tasso in Sorrento with an abundance on shops and restaurants on the way.5 Mins from railway station to Pompeii and Naples lots of small bars and restaurants nearby and cheaper than Sorrento

Room Tip: ask for room overlooking the pool with a balcony and you get free wifi
2  Thank John2jones
Reviewed 17 August 2014

I struggled to decide between a 2 or 3 rating for this hotel but settled on the lower because felt genuinely disappointed at the value for money that this hotel failed to offer.
My boyfriend and I shared one room and our friends (a couple with a two year old) stayed in another. While our room was clean, it was desperately in need of an uplift: the carpets were old (and very poorly fitted in the corridors leading up to it) and there were scuff marks on the walks and the sink was badly cracked. Our friends' room was smarter with wooden floors but their balcony was badly rusty and chairs looked literally on their last legs. Although none of these disturbed our stay, it is not what I would expect from a 4 star hotel. There was no fridge in either room and we both failed to get hot water on one night of our stay which the hotel were unable to resolve. The free wifi access was intermittent at best.
We were also surprised to find that the hotel did not have a single iron in the whole place that we could use-instead we were expect to pay €5 to have a shirt laundered.
The most disappointing point for me though was the food. Instant coffee, cordial badged as fruit juice, tinned mushrooms and veg-all seem small things but add up to a series of disappointing dining experiences at this hotel and again not what you expect of a 4 star.
I would add, however, that all of the dining staff were very attentive, friendly and helpful.

1  Thank Ceryse N
Reviewed 16 August 2014

I just got back from a week in the Parco Del Sole (with Thomson Holidays) and had the most amazing week. I didn't want to leave Sorrento!

The hotel was exactly as I expected it to be, having stayed in Italy on a few occasions and read these reviews. Firstly, lots of people on here seem to be focusing on the decor like it's what makes a holiday complete..... Yes it's a bit dated, but clean and tidy with staff who are just lovely.
We did not pay a huge amount for a week here, half board in a busy tourist resort (as I'm sure most do not) - so we weren't expecting perfection..... and I'd say we got a lot more than our money's worth if I'm perfectly honest!

The food was fantastic. We only opted for Half Board because it wasn't much more and could be easy after long days etc, but we ended up only going out once for dinner, on the final night (at Il Delfino in the Marina Grande - incredible).
Every night there were 5 different menu choices, all very tasty and something for everyone. There was also a lovely evening where there was a buffet in the gardens with local dancers. The waiters were brilliant - couldn't be more helpful or friendly or kind. I can look over any old fashioned wardrobes for that sort of service!

The room was a good size, bathroom very big, bed nice and comfy, plenty of storage space, flat screen TV, free bottle of local wine on arrival, great air con, free safe..... Not sure what else is necessary unless you're at the Ritz! I wouldn't hesitate to stay there again.

The pool was a good size and even though the area was usually quite busy, the pool didn't seem overcrowded and there were plenty of loungers with free towels outside. Cocktails by the pool were also nice.

Shuttle bus was quick and easy and prompt.

San Angello itself is quite sweet if you have a look around. Indeed we found ourselves staying locally rather than going into Sorrento town most evenings. Some of the hotels right overlooking the water (The Hotel Corallo was our favourite) are very welcoming to non residents and there are some wonderful views on offer, without the busy roads of the main town.

Basically, for what you pay for this hotel, you get an awful lot. I think people need to look at the big picture sometimes........

Room Tip: Apparently rooms higher up are nicer. Ours was on the 1st floor and was absolutely fine.
4  Thank laufri86