“Definitely going back here!”

Hotel Villa Margherita
Ranked #18 of 19 Hotels in Sant'Agnello
Reviewed 1 August 2011

Only a ten to twenty minute walk from Sant' Agnello train station, my boyfriend and I had no problems lugging our bags around to get to the hotel. When we got there, it was lovely, with very nice staff who helped us with a few hiccups along the way, and our room was great! We booked a double room without bathroom and without breakfast, however actually got an ensuite AND breakfast included, for a very decent price. We stayed for 2 nights and really wished we had stayed longer! Our bed was comfortable although it was actually two singles, not a double bed, but our view from the window was glorious, looking out over the sea and we had good air conditioning.

The hotel had a rooftop with sunbeds on which were free for all guests, which was so relaxing! And it has it's own beach too, which you can get discounted tickets for entrance and a sunbed for 8 euros instead of the standard 10, however we just paid 5 euros for entrance, and not the sunbed, although they do make that difficult on the beach with little space for anyone without a bed.

I recommend the bar/restaurant above the beach, looking out over the amazing view. You just go right out of the hotel and keep walking towards the sea and you'll see it perched on the edge of the cliff there. The food is very nice and service is great. The cheeseburgers were to die for - especially after nearly 2 weeks of practically nothing but pasta and pizza! It was very refreshing and filling!

Breakfast was included and was from 7.30 till 10 am which we thought were great times - enough for a lie in, and it was a really really nice breakfast too, with a wide range of things to choose from: Croissants, bread, jam, butter, honey, cereal, fruit salad, juice and water, and cake! It really filled the spot!

I highly recommend going to Capri on a boat from the marina in the centre of Sorrento which leave in the morning, every half an hour or so, till 11.45, then there's one at 1.10pm onwards I think. The last one back to Sorrento is at 7pm from Capri, just about 3 hours was plenty for us, as we got the 1.10 and it takes half an hour on the boat.
To get to the marina from the hotel it is fairly easy to walk 30-45 mins, which is only okay because it's a nice place to stroll around anyway, but there are apparently buses, but just to warn you we did buy a ticket for a bus and waited for half an hour and it didn't come, and we didn't see a single bus our whole time there, so not sure it's worth buying one because they barely exist!
Anyway, the boat to Capri and back is a fairly expensive 30 euros, but it's worth it (in hindsight) as it's so beautiful. When you're there it's DEFINITELY worth paying at extra 15 euros for the boat tour all the way around the island - It's the only way to see the beauty of it properly, and you will get to see one of the seven wonders of the world, the Blue Grotto, and also the amazing White Grotto. We couldn't go in the Blue Grotto though, as it was high tide, but find out if you can!

On one day we took a bus from outside Sorrento train station to Amalfi (driving along the beautiful Amalfi coast), which cost 7 euros for a return ticket which lasted 24 hours. The last bus back from Amalfi is at midnight.

I thoroughly recommend this hotel and the Sorrento area itself too!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank J-ardagh

Reviewed 27 July 2011

I recently returned from a weeks holiday staying at Hotel Villa Margherita, Sorrento. This is an honest and frank review - I'm 36 and my sister is 31, we're from the UK.

We were incredibly disappointed with this hotel or should I say hostel. To give you some idea, we were given - in my opinion a very, very basic room. There was hardly anywhere to put your toiletries, very little space at all! The bathroom was unbelievably small! Cramped is probably a better word to describe it. You couldn't fully open the bathroom door without banging into the sink! The shower? Crikey unless you're a child or a UK size 8 you an forget it! The shower cubicle was so small I had to keep stepping out of the shower to wash myself despite only being a UK size 10. I couldn't believe it of course this meant the floor was constantly soaked. To quote my sister you couldn't swing a mouse in there!

I gather it's a family run hotel. We were greeted by a pleasant enough young woman, I think her mother is the one with the spectacles who in my view was not the friendliest and perhaps needs to work on her customer service! The service fell below my expectation which was a shame when you're in such a beautiful part of Italy! On our first afternoon, we enquired about bus times. My sister went over the road to another hotel who were able to provide a map and a bus timetable. When she returned to Hotel Villa Margherita, the mother was peering at some notice on the wall saying it was last year's timetable but there can't be much difference!

On our second night, we arrived back to the hotel about midnight as we'd spent the day in Capri. We asked the man on reception - who I should point out knew nothing about anything - for some additional towels for our room. He then went to ask the mother who was not best pleased about being disturbed saying 'what time do you call this?'. I thought this is a hotel isn't it? Couldn't have a shower anyway as the water was cold - that's if the faucet was coming in my direction!

On the night we left, we had to leave the hotel at 4am. We had to let ourselves out! There was nobody on reception, we had to leave the key on the desk which I thought a bit odd!

This is just a couple of things that happened while staying at the hotel. I think to sum up, yes it was not the most expensive but there are basic things - certainly attitude you sort of expect! My sister and I would not stay here again. I always read the reviews on trip advisor before I book anywhere but this is the first time I've ever written a review. We were just very disappointed so wanted to share our experience with others. If you want cheap, hostel-like accommodation - go for it!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank cjreidy12
Reviewed 7 June 2010

We stayed here on our honeymoon and were traveling Italy on a budget. For the price, this place was a good value. The room was a bit small but was adequate for the amount of time we spent there. We also had a small balcony with a great view. The room was very clean and the staff was VERY friendly. They were helpful as to recommending restaurants and things to do. It was a short walk to the coast, train station, town and many restaurants. Breakfast was served every morning and was a traditional European breakfast (cereal, meats, cheese, croissants, etc.) If you are traveling on a budget, I recommend this place.

Only complaint was that the website showed a restaurant, and at the time we were staying there it was closed for some reason.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 September 2009

We came to this area looking for places to have our wedding next year. On the website this hotel looked ideal as a possible place for our guests to stay as it was clean, close to the beach and with character. On arrival we were to discover that almost all the facilities were closed! including the tea garden and restaurant that looked lovely in the brochure and on the website. There was no mention of this anywhere when we booked.
If you are renting a car and parking it outside the hotel (which the website says is ok to do so) BEWARE..The lady on reception forgot to tell us when we checked in that we needed a parking permit and we got a ticket for 23 euro!! good start!....they offered us no compensation for this and said we have to go into town and pay it!....then on top of that, buy a parking permit from them! (6euros a day)
The room itself was actually lovely, big bright and airey with high ceilings, lovely big windows and clean linen. The bathrooms although clean however were very run down, and very small, my 6ft2 fiance couldnt even fit in the shower properly. My mum who also stayed in another room could not even open the bathroom door properly as the sink was behind the door!....very small!
Breakfast is included and is very basic, croissants, corn flakes and yoghurt. It was ok, but served by a very rude gentleman that made us feel a complete inconveinience to him, muttering under his breath and banging plates and cups around.
I think the most disappointing thing about this hotel was that it has so much potential, lovely building and location, but looks as though it hasnt been touched for 10 years!
Big cases of false advertising because when you look at the site you are lead to believe you can have dinner, drinks and entertainment where you stay but it was all closed! Also the sun terrace that again looks lovely on the site, in real life is grubby with 4 sun loungers and a half full paddling pool with green water!! lovely views though!!!!!
We still payed full price for this hotel which was about £70-80 a night and they didnt really seem to care when we said about the closed restaurant etc.
A real shame

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ickletravelbug
Reviewed 6 August 2009

I traveled with my almost adult daughter in July. I was most impressed with this family run hotel which I found online. When I arrived I was warmly greeted by Maria the hotel manager. She was always available, and she was extremely helpful with any questions or needs we had. Maria could not do enough to make us comfortable and happy. My room had a balcony and incredible view! Birds were singing outside my room. The hotel has a roof, so one can go up top and get an amazing view in any direction. We had some art history research to do in the area, and we needed to stay an extra night. We had to change rooms for the last night of our 4 day stay, and that room was excellent as well. Although the hotel is on a busy street, one can turn on the air conditioning and hear nothing. The hotel is extremely clean,...the housekeepers scrub the floors on their hands and knees. We were disappointed that the restaurant was not open, but there were wonderful restaurants in the area. The hotel has a lovely cafe area with lemon trees where one can have a coffee or beverage.
A great public beach is available right down the street, but beware that the steep return walk through tunnels,etc. is strenuous. I am in good shape, but if I was aware of a lift, I would have taken it! Also, we walked to Sorrento, but the walkways are sometimes narrow and right on the edge of traffic. Buses and taxis are available (taxi is expensive).
All in all, The Hotel Villa Margherita was a beautiful hotel and an excellent value. It is professionally run. I highly recommend it!

• Stayed: July 2009
Reviewed 23 April 2009

Nice hotel, convenient, clean, helpful staff. Would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: May 2006, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 October 2008

October is the perfect time to go to Sorrento - fewer tourists and perfect weather. We were the only guests in the hotel as it was winding down to close at the end of the season. We enjoyed a clean comfortable room with a balcony and view of the town of Sant'Agnello. The hotel is a 15 minute brisk walk to the train station and a little longer walk to the center of Sorrento but well worth the stay. The staff are helpful and welcoming. We enjoyed a lovely breakfast each morning as we started our day. We would love to return to Sorrento and this hotel one day.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
1  Thank Steadleaze
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sant'Agnello
Hotel Mediterraneo Sorrento
#16 of 19 in Sant'Agnello
Hotel Parco dei Principi
Hotel Parco dei Principi
#38 of 100 in Sorrento

Been to Hotel Villa Margherita? Share your experiences!