“Nice hotel let down slightly by decor”

Hotel Villa Margherita
Ranked #18 of 19 Hotels in Sant'Agnello
Reviewed 29 September 2011

We stayed here for 3 days in September 2011 and enjoyed it very much. The staff were friendly and very helpful and this hotel had more of a feel of Italy about it than the more Anglicized hotels in the local area. The location was excellent and it was just 100m from the beach & cliff edge bar which offered beautiful views.

We booked a superior room and we were glad that we did as even this was a little shabby. It was very clean and comfortable and the aircon and double glazing worked well, it was cleaned everyday and the soaps etc replenished. The only thing that let the room down was the fact that it needed a coat of paint and was in desperate need of a new bathroom suite which was functional but very old and tatty.

The restaurant was closed when we visited but this mattered little as anyone visiting the area should eat at the lovely Ristorante Moonlight just 250m away. There was a separate dining room which served a plentiful and tasty continental breakfast

On the whole, we would recommend Hotel Villa Margherita and we would visit again. If Trip Advisor had an option between "average" & "very good" I would have firmly placed my vote there.

Room Tip: We stayed in 201 on the seaward side of the building which had a balcony & offered some nice vie...
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Mike H
There are newer reviews for Hotel Villa Margherita

Reviewed 27 September 2011

Had a triple room which was more than adequate. Lovely and clean. Family run business which gave the hotel a nice local touch. All staff we were in contact with, were very friendly and helpful. Rooftop terrace had spectacular views. Close to some 'cheap and cheerful' restaurants and plenty in Sorrento itself. 10 minute walk on (usually) very narrow sidewalks or just the side of the road, to the middle of Sorrento. (You get used to it!) Better still, was a 2 minute walk down to La Terrassa where we you can sit and have drinks/cocktail or a meal/coffee and just take in the view of the Bay of Naples/Sorrento - day or night, it is a beautiful view!
We were on the first floor so the road noise was very noticeable when in the room. Given you're not usually in the room for the better part of the day, it didn't worry us.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank Yvonne H
Reviewed 22 August 2011

This a pretty,clean hotel in a good position.The staff were very helpful and our room fine.The bathroom was small but didn't pose a problem to us.There is a roof terrace where you can sunbathe and there are wondeful views from up there.The hotel is literally a 2 minute walk to the sea where there are platforms to lie in the sun and swim from.There is a lovely restaurant at the end of the road with stunning views of Sorrento.We thought that for the price they charge this hotel was quite adequate.We encourage anyone thinking of going to Sorrento to do so as this is one of the most beautiful spots in the World!

Room Tip: probably beat to be on the top floor,there is a lift,as the views will be better and you will be fur...
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank renee182734
Reviewed 1 August 2011

Only a ten to twenty minute walk from Sant' Agnello train station, my boyfriend and I had no problems lugging our bags around to get to the hotel. When we got there, it was lovely, with very nice staff who helped us with a few hiccups along the way, and our room was great! We booked a double room without bathroom and without breakfast, however actually got an ensuite AND breakfast included, for a very decent price. We stayed for 2 nights and really wished we had stayed longer! Our bed was comfortable although it was actually two singles, not a double bed, but our view from the window was glorious, looking out over the sea and we had good air conditioning.

The hotel had a rooftop with sunbeds on which were free for all guests, which was so relaxing! And it has it's own beach too, which you can get discounted tickets for entrance and a sunbed for 8 euros instead of the standard 10, however we just paid 5 euros for entrance, and not the sunbed, although they do make that difficult on the beach with little space for anyone without a bed.

I recommend the bar/restaurant above the beach, looking out over the amazing view. You just go right out of the hotel and keep walking towards the sea and you'll see it perched on the edge of the cliff there. The food is very nice and service is great. The cheeseburgers were to die for - especially after nearly 2 weeks of practically nothing but pasta and pizza! It was very refreshing and filling!

Breakfast was included and was from 7.30 till 10 am which we thought were great times - enough for a lie in, and it was a really really nice breakfast too, with a wide range of things to choose from: Croissants, bread, jam, butter, honey, cereal, fruit salad, juice and water, and cake! It really filled the spot!

I highly recommend going to Capri on a boat from the marina in the centre of Sorrento which leave in the morning, every half an hour or so, till 11.45, then there's one at 1.10pm onwards I think. The last one back to Sorrento is at 7pm from Capri, just about 3 hours was plenty for us, as we got the 1.10 and it takes half an hour on the boat.
To get to the marina from the hotel it is fairly easy to walk 30-45 mins, which is only okay because it's a nice place to stroll around anyway, but there are apparently buses, but just to warn you we did buy a ticket for a bus and waited for half an hour and it didn't come, and we didn't see a single bus our whole time there, so not sure it's worth buying one because they barely exist!
Anyway, the boat to Capri and back is a fairly expensive 30 euros, but it's worth it (in hindsight) as it's so beautiful. When you're there it's DEFINITELY worth paying at extra 15 euros for the boat tour all the way around the island - It's the only way to see the beauty of it properly, and you will get to see one of the seven wonders of the world, the Blue Grotto, and also the amazing White Grotto. We couldn't go in the Blue Grotto though, as it was high tide, but find out if you can!

On one day we took a bus from outside Sorrento train station to Amalfi (driving along the beautiful Amalfi coast), which cost 7 euros for a return ticket which lasted 24 hours. The last bus back from Amalfi is at midnight.

I thoroughly recommend this hotel and the Sorrento area itself too!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank J-ardagh
Reviewed 27 July 2011

I recently returned from a weeks holiday staying at Hotel Villa Margherita, Sorrento. This is an honest and frank review - I'm 36 and my sister is 31, we're from the UK.

We were incredibly disappointed with this hotel or should I say hostel. To give you some idea, we were given - in my opinion a very, very basic room. There was hardly anywhere to put your toiletries, very little space at all! The bathroom was unbelievably small! Cramped is probably a better word to describe it. You couldn't fully open the bathroom door without banging into the sink! The shower? Crikey unless you're a child or a UK size 8 you an forget it! The shower cubicle was so small I had to keep stepping out of the shower to wash myself despite only being a UK size 10. I couldn't believe it of course this meant the floor was constantly soaked. To quote my sister you couldn't swing a mouse in there!

I gather it's a family run hotel. We were greeted by a pleasant enough young woman, I think her mother is the one with the spectacles who in my view was not the friendliest and perhaps needs to work on her customer service! The service fell below my expectation which was a shame when you're in such a beautiful part of Italy! On our first afternoon, we enquired about bus times. My sister went over the road to another hotel who were able to provide a map and a bus timetable. When she returned to Hotel Villa Margherita, the mother was peering at some notice on the wall saying it was last year's timetable but there can't be much difference!

On our second night, we arrived back to the hotel about midnight as we'd spent the day in Capri. We asked the man on reception - who I should point out knew nothing about anything - for some additional towels for our room. He then went to ask the mother who was not best pleased about being disturbed saying 'what time do you call this?'. I thought this is a hotel isn't it? Couldn't have a shower anyway as the water was cold - that's if the faucet was coming in my direction!

On the night we left, we had to leave the hotel at 4am. We had to let ourselves out! There was nobody on reception, we had to leave the key on the desk which I thought a bit odd!

This is just a couple of things that happened while staying at the hotel. I think to sum up, yes it was not the most expensive but there are basic things - certainly attitude you sort of expect! My sister and I would not stay here again. I always read the reviews on trip advisor before I book anywhere but this is the first time I've ever written a review. We were just very disappointed so wanted to share our experience with others. If you want cheap, hostel-like accommodation - go for it!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank cjreidy12
Reviewed 7 June 2010

We stayed here on our honeymoon and were traveling Italy on a budget. For the price, this place was a good value. The room was a bit small but was adequate for the amount of time we spent there. We also had a small balcony with a great view. The room was very clean and the staff was VERY friendly. They were helpful as to recommending restaurants and things to do. It was a short walk to the coast, train station, town and many restaurants. Breakfast was served every morning and was a traditional European breakfast (cereal, meats, cheese, croissants, etc.) If you are traveling on a budget, I recommend this place.

Only complaint was that the website showed a restaurant, and at the time we were staying there it was closed for some reason.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 September 2009

We came to this area looking for places to have our wedding next year. On the website this hotel looked ideal as a possible place for our guests to stay as it was clean, close to the beach and with character. On arrival we were to discover that almost all the facilities were closed! including the tea garden and restaurant that looked lovely in the brochure and on the website. There was no mention of this anywhere when we booked.
If you are renting a car and parking it outside the hotel (which the website says is ok to do so) BEWARE..The lady on reception forgot to tell us when we checked in that we needed a parking permit and we got a ticket for 23 euro!! good start!....they offered us no compensation for this and said we have to go into town and pay it!....then on top of that, buy a parking permit from them! (6euros a day)
The room itself was actually lovely, big bright and airey with high ceilings, lovely big windows and clean linen. The bathrooms although clean however were very run down, and very small, my 6ft2 fiance couldnt even fit in the shower properly. My mum who also stayed in another room could not even open the bathroom door properly as the sink was behind the door!....very small!
Breakfast is included and is very basic, croissants, corn flakes and yoghurt. It was ok, but served by a very rude gentleman that made us feel a complete inconveinience to him, muttering under his breath and banging plates and cups around.
I think the most disappointing thing about this hotel was that it has so much potential, lovely building and location, but looks as though it hasnt been touched for 10 years!
Big cases of false advertising because when you look at the site you are lead to believe you can have dinner, drinks and entertainment where you stay but it was all closed! Also the sun terrace that again looks lovely on the site, in real life is grubby with 4 sun loungers and a half full paddling pool with green water!! lovely views though!!!!!
We still payed full price for this hotel which was about £70-80 a night and they didnt really seem to care when we said about the closed restaurant etc.
A real shame