“Don't expect a peaceful night's sleep!”

Hotel Club Sorrento
Ranked #14 of 19 Hotels in Sant'Agnello
West Sussex, United Kingdom
“Don't expect a peaceful night's sleep!”
Reviewed 14 October 2010

Club Hotel in Sant'Agnello has got to be the noisiest hotel I have ever stayed in. There is a train line nearby, the walls are really thin, and it's near to a church whose bells chime every 15 minutes, all through the night. If you want a restful night, my advice is to take some earplugs.
Rooms are basic but clean, towels are thin. The saving grace is that the staff are very friendly and helpful. It's also pretty cheap. But if you can afford to, spend a bit more and stay nearer to Sorrento in a quieter location.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 9 September 2010

The lack of hygenic practices at this "hotel" is appalling. The breakfast items (i.e. bread, crossiants) are taken off dirty plates if not eaten and placed on new place setting for the next unsuspecting guest. When I requested cold milk they could not provide it since all their milk is stored at room temperature. The "hotel" rooms are dirty. There are no usuable towel racks to place your towels on to try to keep them clean. When we requested a clean towel from the staff in the early evening since ours were all soaking wet, we were scolded and told that they only like to provide new towels in the morning. When the "clean" towels arrived, some were stained and others were dirty. The swimming pools is all deep so it is not good for young kids plus it is next to a noisy generator with the noisy subway overhead. The is no on-site parking. I could list many more negatives but I will summerize by saying, DO NOT STAY HERE!!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank Canadian_Girl004

Travellers are raving about these Sant'Agnello hotels

Rochester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 August 2010

We have been going to Sorrento for over 20 years we have stayed at this hotel before this year and had no problems at all. We had a great stay this July and found that the staff were very friendly and make an effort to get to know their guests and happy to help.We were given a room overlooking the pool which was great because we were able to sit on the balcony and truly relax. Although there is a train station and church near by, after the first day the sounds of the bells and the trains just seem to dissapear and you dont notice them anymore. The room was basic but had everything the family needed including bathroom with shower , digital T.V , wardrobe , desk and chair , full length mirror the only thing that the room didnt have was a hairdryer so would suggest packing one. The breakfast was satisfying and there were a few choices , the hotel offers lunch which was very nice and there was a large choice ; although we did not try dinner we did look at the menu and the food looked very good. The hotel is not far from Sorrento , it is very easy to get too by train or bus and there are some really nice restauraunts nearby and and the Marinella beach is only a 10 minute walk away with some stunning views of Mount Vesuvius. As I said before we had no problems and would recommend this hotel and certainately go back there again.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
Vancouver British Columbia
Reviewed 11 July 2010

We enjoyed our 5 day stay at this hotel. The pool was especially nice after a hot day seeing the sights of Pompeii or Capri. The staff were friendly and helpful. Anything we requested was brought within minutes. Our room was tiny for a triple but it was comfortable and had an outdoor terrace next to the pool. Breakfast was in a large dining room. We supplemented it with fruit. Parking was tight but the staff always helped us to park right in front of the hotel or in the small court yard. The one dinner we ate at the restaurant was bland. There are other excellent restaurants nearby. We especially enjoyed O Guarracino. There is a train track next to the hotel. The two or three car trains pass only from time to time making a brief noise. They stop at night. This was a modern well run hotel at a reasonable price.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
UK
Reviewed 9 June 2010

I think the poor reviews for this hotel are a bit harsh. The rooms are clean the food is good and the staff get 110% for effort and friendliness.
It's one of the cheapest hotels in this area and if your on a tight budget then it does the job.
Sant'Angelo is quite small but there are a few shops,bars restaurants but you can easily jump on one of the frequent trains to Sorrento, its only a 2min train ride.
Yes the hotel walls are very thin and it is quite noisy if you want a lie-in. The rooms over the pool are a bit quieter, so would recommend you request this when booking.
I would stay here again and just take ear plugs to sleep!
The staff were really helpful and so friendly.
The pool area is small but clean and most people seemed to be out and about visiting the sites so we had the pool all to ourselves for 2 of the days!

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank hannah_p20
merseyside england
Reviewed 27 May 2010

I've just come back from a week in the Club. I was going with my husband and daughter and her 2 young children for a friend's wedding. We booked it because it was very cheap, we didn't choose Sant Agnello ourselves, it was just that that was the location for the wedding, but after we'd booked I started to read the reviews and panicked! As we'd paid in full I thought we'd just have to get on with it and hope for the best. We were very pleasantly surprised! I wonder what some people want for a budget hotel - we're not talking about paying a fortune here, it cost us less than £40 a night for 2 of us with breakfast! (We booked with Thos Cook through Tripadvisor) You'd be hard pushed to get a Travelodge for that! Yes, there are a few things that might be seen as negative, you do get the trains coming past regularly, but that didn't bother us, we were out most of the day and at night I think they stop running. The church bells ARE loud and do ring very regularly, but even though once or twice I heard them in the night, I only woke slightly and went off to sleep again. If you have trouble sleeping then that might be a consideration. Apart from that, I honestly don't know what people are complaining about! I'll comment on the things I'd read, and my own experience - and I'm not naive when it comes to hotels, I'm well travelled and have stayed in all sorts of different hotels all over the world, so I think I can form a reasonable opinion.
TOWELS- yes, they are the typical thin cotton towels provided in many Italian budget hotels - I took a couple of our own but my husband and daughter didn't use ours, they were happy with the hotel's. Changed every day.
ROOMS-spotless, good size, plenty of storage, reading lights, balcony with table and chairs - all things I've known to be missing in many budget priced hotels I've stayed in.
SHOWER- lots of people mentioned flooding - I'm not sure if they've changed the showers but, althought the cubicles are small they were watertight, and the spray was quite powerful. Sachets of shampoo provided, bathroom ample size with mirror and shelf and light over it - again, little things but they can be annoying if absent!
BREAKFAST- nothing wonderful but fine to start the day, fresh juice, coffee, cereal, bread, jam, ham and cheese (although they were the processed variety). If you don't like it then remember what you've paid for it!
POOL- sadly, when we arrived the pool was empty, they were filling it the day we left, the weather had been cold up to that week. However the poolside area was lovely for a smallish hotel, -orange trees, flowers, plenty of varied seating.
STAFF- they were really lovely! Very friendly, made lots of fuss of the children, provided milk for bottles, lent us umbrellas when it rained.
BAR- small but cheap! And nice and comfortable after an evening out.
LOCATION- well, here's my one sticking point - I don't know why anyone would choose to stay in Sant Agnello. There's very little to enjoy apart from walking down to the sea front to admire the view! The main road is horrendously busy, there are no pretty squares or places to sit out and enjoy an evening drink as I'd expected, we struggled with restaurants, we ate in "Moonlight " twice and "Ciao Toto " twice, both of which were good and good service, but there very few others that we could find. I have read about "Tony's" but couldn't find it. We ended up getting the train in to Sorrento on the other evenings, which was much easier than trying to battle the busy roads with baby buggies! It's one stop on the train and quite cheap (about 1 euro ) We didn't use the hotel restaurant as it was very quiet with only a couple of people in there and we like to get out in the evening, so I can't comment on the food there.
So, my recommendation is, if it's Sant Agnello you want then this hotel is absolutely fine - if you want more luxury then you'll find plenty of others but at much higher prices.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank andrina
Bucks
Reviewed 15 May 2010

This hotel is as bad, if not worse than the other reviews say. Towels - paper thin - like the walls, dark dingy room, train station practically on top of hotel, traffic noise, church bell goes off every hour, a school group checked in and behaved terrible but nothing was done by hotel staff, cigarette stained bed linen, no toiletries, shower was a disgrace… The noise was so bad we had to check out and find another hotel. Booked hotel through British Airways and can not believe that they have this hotel on their recommendations! We have complained and have had no luck getting any compensation. Please do not go to this hotel hoping for the best - it is dreadful and will ruin your holiday.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Butler48
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sant'Agnello
Hotel Caravel Sorrento
#3 of 19 in Sant'Agnello
Art Hotel Gran Paradiso
Art Hotel Gran Paradiso
#39 of 100 in Sorrento

Been to Hotel Club Sorrento? Share your experiences!