Hotel La Pergola
US$757
Hotel Florida(Sant'Agnello)(Great Value!)
US$820
US$777
All reviewsroof terracebasic hoteljust returned from a weektowels changed every daysingle fileamalfi coastthree starmain towncold meatscerealtrainjacuzzipavementsunbedsroadsmaidsercolano
Reviewed 18 July 2012

I would like to clarify that I have never written reviews of hotels, but there is a special case. My opinion is like the answer to the two previous reviews MAGGYWOMAN and GREX 9101! I would like to express their anger and resentment!
Our flight was 16 July and the day before departure, we had read these "wonderful reviews" we were shocked! Our first desire was to give away, but it was too late!
We flew into a terrible state, a normal person will always be in a little excitement for the upcoming holidays, and imagine that you say in advance that your holiday will be just disgusting and it is better not to go there ... you do not leave us a bit spoiled.

Towels for the beach?? Maybe your claims a little overstated in relation to the 3 * hotel? It really is not 5 * all inclusive where and where its own private beach .. and then people .. For example here is an opportunity to go to Capri, or you will take the hotel towels? For example we advance our travel agency warned of the need for their beach towels, regardless of the stars. So maybe it is your fault or a travel agency that sold you the trip? And didn’t the hotel that you still could not answer a poor employee, if they do not provide it?

With regard to tax us again, our tour agency warned of this tax, we also give a printout of a tax on all the major cities of Italy, so maybe it's their fault that they will not provide this information and not the hotel?? And besides, you pay the tax isn’t about the hotel and the city!
And if you buy the book and the hotels themselves, saving on travel agencies to be prepared that some information that would give you a travel agency you will not get that and maybe do not know .. but you have saved .. so what's wrong hotel??
lack of restaurants nearby .. blame hotel again ... Why do not you take a hotel in the center of Sorrento with its many restaurants? Far to the sea? Noisy? Or, again, saved?
Your feedback is the following, we decided to check it all .. We also advised the restaurant in Sorrento, we were just amazed, the restaurant was just wonderful, wonderful living garden, nice music .. and dinner was very tasty.
I can’t understand how people can criticize even what they don’t know and didn’t see! For me it has to question the whole of their review.
about the fact that someone came into the room, where are you from? You are at home, too, do not close the door?
As for the second review, I’d like to ask if you knew that the Sorrento is very expensive to what your complaint to the hotel? Write everything here is so expensive, even at the bar which is located next to the hotel, the prices are very high, but is for prices to meet Sorrneto hotel?

And the distance from Sorrento, we would like to know when you booked the hotel didn’t see where he is, well, is not it possible not to inquire on the Internet? If you have seen .. and it is then for you it wasn’t important in order to save either all the same you have deceived the hotel to the distance?
On the food can’t say anything unnecessarily, we only have breakfast and 3 * hotel very good.
The only points on which I agree is the lack of sunbeds by the pool, and small shower, it's true.

As a conclusion, I‘d say these reviews almost ruined our vacation. And as it turns out it's just complaints of people that are poorly rested and blame it all but themselves, and in these little complaint refers to the hotel so they write reviews in both the rooms are clean and the staff are polite and do you recall it seems that You promised 5 stars close to Sorrento, and cheated. People,you got what you paid for that, and no need to blame in this hotel. Hotel is excellent, the staff is good at doing his job, always clean and tidy. We are very pleased and will recommend to all our friends.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank 795_VadimS_795
Reviewed 17 July 2012

Stayed here with Newmarket Holiday and hotel was allocated on arrival, what a great place and an added bonus of balcony and small pool! All staff very pleasant and as we were only on B&B can not comment on dinner although we did have lunch on two occasions and it was excellent. Only complaint was the cockrel that woke us up at 4am every morning!!

Room Tip: Front rooms have better outlook
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 July 2012

I started off getting ready to write this review and read grex9101's review. He reiterated all of my husband's and my complaints. However, I have a few additional ones. We found some of the members of the staff to be less than helpful. When we asked if we could get extra towels for the beach or pool, we were point blank told "no" and to use our bath towels. I don't know about you, but I really prefer to use a clean towel after the beach. Especially when I am paying for it. I requested someone to come up and look at the television to make sure it was working (I was having difficulty with it). I was told someone would check it "tomorrow". I'm still waiting. When we went to check out, we gave the clerk our credit card (as we had spent the majority of our euros before returning to the states) and were promptly informed that we HAD to pay the tax part of our final bill in cash. We were never told this when we checked in or the night before when we asked them to have our bill ready in the morning since we had an early flight. We managed to scrape together enough cash to work it out. We also found the location to be difficult. There were not too many good restaurants near the hotel, so we walked to and from Sorrento each night for dinner. However the 25 minute walk down the insane road was good for the waistline! We did not have a package that included dinner - thank goodness!! Especially if the breakfast, which was atrocious, was an example of the what the dinner was like! They served coffee that that tasted like watered down coffee. Some guests resorted to ordering espresso or cappuccino from the bar at extra expense. We were in Italy for crying out loud! The Italians are known for their coffee! Walking around you noticed oranges literally falling off the trees. So how come we were served what tasted like water with a dash of orange juice for breakfast? They even ruined eggs! There was never any servers in the cellar/dining room in case you needed anything. This didn't even come close to any of the other places we stayed. The rooms didn't even have refrigerators in which to keep a bottle of water cool. And then they even had the nerve to charge a euro for a glass of ice! When we asked the people at the desk for recommendations for good restaurants, they kept pushing one that the owner of the hotel owned. After experiencing the breakfast, I wouldn't eat in their other restaurant if it was the last place in Sorrento! We ended a four city Italian vacation here and this hotel was truly a disappointment. We also read reviews and disregarded the one or two people that were dissatisfied. A huge mistake. This was the trip of a lifetime for us. Thank goodness the other hotels were a pleasure to stay in. All of the additional charges were just short of extortion! When we stayed, the weather was ridiculously hot and to charge for a/c?!?!?!?!? What are they thinking. We were fortunate enough to be on the pool side of the hotel so we didn't experience the problems grex had with the car park side. However, we did see this side and I absolutely believe this was his experience. You also couldn't lock the doors from within the rooms without using the key in the door and locking it from inside. One day I didn't do that and actually had a stranger walk into my room while I was drying my hair!! A simple dead bolt on the inside would solve this problem. The hotel brochure said the hotel had been renovated within the past few years ~ well, I wouldn't hire that person to renovate my garage!!! The pool itself was nice, but as grex stated, there were no lounge chairs to sit around the pool in - probably because the patio area was so small! The shower stalls were so small that if you turned the wrong way, you would be scalded because you would hit the water control inadvertently. We were not the only guests with this complaint. My husband and I are not obese or big people, I don't know how anyone who is large could fit into these showers! Anyone considering staying here should think twice about spending a few more dollars (or euros) and staying elsewhere.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank maggywoman
Reviewed 11 July 2012

Before we start, a small caveat; Sorrento is expensive, everyone already knows this. This place goes above and beyond even that.

For transparency and honesty, I stayed here in room 212 from 19th-29th June 2012.

So, reading this review, you're probably considering the Hotel La Pergola. My advice? Don't. Here's why:

The prices they charge are a total rip-off. Some examples: €5 for a "large beer" (400ml), €3 for a "large" water (900ml), €2.50 for a coke/sprite etc. These are prices I'd expect to pay in 4 or 5 star in the UK, not a small independent hotel in Italy. On the subject of the water, the bottles would always mysteriously come to your table already opened, no cap in sight. A less charitable person may suspect that these larger glass bottles were simply tap-filled rather than freshly opened each time they were ordered. I certainly wouldn't put it past this place.

But it gets worse - €10/day for air conditioning (I guess that's why it's called air-CON!) and €4.50/day to use the in-room safe! (I kid you not). I will be taking this up with Thomas Cook, as although admittedly they do advise there is a charge for these; they do not even attempt to tell you exactly how much. The rep wasn’t interested, saying basically "yeah, it is expensive here". We were staying here for 10 days, so were looking at €145 extra just for these two things. Interestingly, we met someone who was staying at a 4* elsewhere who told us that 4* hotels tend to include these things, certainly hers did. Well worth simply booking a 4* in the first place.

The next thing that REALLY annoyed me was the surcharge for the balcony. Over £60 more to get a balcony which barely fitted a table and two chairs overlooking a car park? It seems pot-luck whether you get the poolside or the car park, and the hotel will NOT move you. If you get the car-park side, tough! £60+ to be woken at night by drunken Italians crashing their cars into each other (really!) and wheelspinning at 2 in the morning. Great.

Then, there's the food... I can only imagine that the other reviewers who said the food was good here simply left their taste buds at home. Perhaps it's an over-romanticised view of Italy, but you expect things like spaghetti, lasagne, cannelloni etc. etc., right? Well, you may get (some of) these once over the course of your stay, but there's no flair. Not even any garlic! The rest of the menus are pitiful. If you don't like fish, or poultry, forget it. One night I even had a plain omelette with a jacket potato as the available choices were so poor. Ended up getting a takeaway pizza later on I was so hungry! That's not to say the food is bad per se, it's merely...competent. Do you really want to be eating merely competent food on a holiday you've been looking forward to all year for?

On the subject of food, all food (except the weekly "party" nights) is served in the basement restaurant. No windows, just a basement. To make matters worse, if you're unfortunate enough to be one of the tables in the middle, you'll be lumbered with another couple sitting beside you. For the duration of your (or their holiday) (oh, forgot to say a big HI! to barely audible woman and Nigel Mansell husband lookalike, and hello also to thicko Spurs fan (it's grazie, not gracias you utter moron). You get the point; you wouldn't sit next to these people through choice, why the hell should you on a holiday that YOU have paid for? The service is patchy, the maître d (best way I can describe him) is clearly the captain of the ship and runs the place well, when he takes a night off the service changes from competent to something akin to a 70s sitcom. It's so poor it's funny. To round things off, the breakfasts are poor. I ended up eating cheese rolls for breakfast the whole time.

The pool is also a let-down. For your "lazy days", do you like stretching out and lazing by the pool? Forget it. No sun loungers. Where are the sun loungers? On the third floor, of course! It seems it's been a space consideration, but it's stupid. They have chairs pool-side, but you'll not get an all-over tan using these. It's just another disappointment about this place.

Location? Again, poor. You're a good 15mins walk to the nearest supermarket (basically in Sant Agnello). 25 mins walk into Sorrento centre itself, along a crazy busy road, and I'm no slouch. There is a bar/shop about 3 minutes outside the hotel where you can get beers/water etc., while it's still expensive €1.50 coke €2 small can of Peroni, it's still cheaper than the rip off hotel. If you're doing the "bring your own" thing, the hotel will provide ice, at a charge of course! €1 per small glass.

The rooms are ok, if a bit small. Perfectly clean as well, with towels changed pretty much every day. The shower cubicle is tiny. I just left the doors open, not my problem if the place gets flooded. Tough! Apart from that and the aforementioned small balcony, I really couldn't fault the rooms themselves.

I feel a bit guilty about the one star I have given this hotel. Why? The staff were, in general, great. Very helpful and courteous. It's just a pity their skills are not put to better use in a hotel that actually deserves them.

If all the above sounds a bit negative, well, it is! Like you, I read a LOT of reviews on this place and chose to ignore the 1* and 2* ones as the majority of reviews were positive. I wish now I had paid more attention to the poor reviews. Don't give these people your hard earned money, if you must go to Sorrento, spend an extra £100/£200 and get a decent 4* hotel closer to the centre. I guarantee you, the food and location will be better and you'll not be stung for all the "extras" like aircon and a safe that the con artists at Hotel La Pergola will rip you off for.

Choose anywhere but here, you can thank me later.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank grex9101
Reviewed 7 July 2012

I stayed here last week with my younger brother, the hotel was perfect for us. It is in a lovely quiet location, about 25 minute walk into the centre of Sorrento if you take the scenic route. We walked this everyday and the views along the way are stunning. The train station is in easy reach and this is perfect for reaching Pompei, Herculaneum etc

The food at the hotel was excellent, a good variety and something different every night. At breakfast you get the menu for the evening and can choose your meal. This makes a real difference as its all cooked to order instead of the usual buffet style. Raphael in the dining room was brilliant, one night Jake didn't like the menu and he spoke to the chef for us and arranged something else for him to have without any fuss. On thursday night there is a gala meal outside which is lovely and was a perfect end to our holiday.

The staff are fantastic, very friendly and nothing is too much trouble, Guseppe is very funny - a real character!

The roof terrace is lovely, a little sun trap and perfect for topping up your tan in beautiful surroundings! The views are stunning.

Pompei is well worth a visit (11 euro entry for adults and free for kids) but it gets really hot there so take a hat and lots of water! The amalfi drive tour was lovely, you visit Ravello which is full of charm and take a boat trip round the amalfi coast which is breathtaking.

I had an excellent holiday and fell in love with Italy, I will definately go back!

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the front as there is a cockerill out the back which can be a little noisy, also it is well worth paying for a balcony at the time you book, Makes all the difference.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family