“just great”
Review of Hotel La Pergola

Hotel La Pergola
Ranked #18 of 20 Hotels in Sant'Agnello
Reviewed 17 August 2012

my wife and myself have just returned from a 1 week holiday at the la pergola and must say that we will be going back again as we found the staff was first class as was the food and the rooms cleaned and towels changed daily . ken s

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank lala40

Reviewed 15 August 2012

My partner and I stayed here for 1 week at the end of July this year ( 2012 ) The staff were nice and helpful apart from one waiter in the restaurant, he was over powering and made us aswell as other guests feel uncomfortable. the food wasn't great and the coffee was awful, I was suprised as it was Italy, having to pay for the Air conditioning was a shock too! I wouldn't recommend this hotel to anyone and certainly wouldn't return.

Reviewed 12 August 2012

Clean hotel, pleasant staff. Rooms are rather utilitarian & felt like the better hostel rooms I've stayed in. Food was average, pool is smallish and often full of kids. Easy to get to ferries to Capri or positano. Patio for the bar was just under our window and there was considerable noise until about 11 each night.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 August 2012

We stayed in this hotel as a family of 4 with 2 teenagers & stayed for 1 week. We did like this hotel but if we returned to the area we would have a try another location.

Rooms- The rooms at this hotel where a good medium size (our party was split in two so there was two of us in two rooms). I found the rooms to be very clean. The bathroom was an okay size, the shower was small but it didn’t bother me. Some towels where provided for use within the hotel.
We were situated in a room with a small balcony overlooking the patio below, we had a lovely view of the mountains close by.
From our room we could not hear through the walls into other rooms and there was little noise outside as we slept with the balcony doors open and the screen down every night. There was a T.V with Italian channels and a movie channel which played in English.

Staff-Staff on reception were brilliant, very helpful and pleasant.
All of the ladies working at this hotel where very polite and helped us to feel comfortable, you can tell they worked hard and where happy to chat with you.
The head waiter if you are staying and eating half board is VERY attentive, I got the feeling that he is a perfectionist and was always talking to you trying to make your experience perfect. This for me was too much and he intimidated me a lot. Some people are happy with this level of attention and some (like me) prepare a quick chat with the waiter, the waiter to check everything is okay then leave me to my evening/meal. The head waiter is not everyone’s cup of tea but he is only trying to make your dining experience the best it can be.

Food- As we were eating half board we ate breakfast and evening dinner at the hotel. The breakfast was self-serve and was okay nothing special, I had cereal and orange juice every morning. At breakfast you picked your evening meal from a menu unique to that day. The standard of food was okay.

Location- This hotel was quite a walk from the centre of the town Sorrento, and the roads there where mayhem. There were some shops nearby.

Facilities- There was a small pool but we did not use it. On the last night there was a farewell dinner held outside, with all the guests invited and music provided. It was very lovely night and we said good bye and thank you to staff and guests that we had made friends with.

Overall this was an okay hotel as a not come here expecting a hotel like the ones encountered in Spain, this is a small pleasant Italian hotel. I would recommend this hotel to anyone who is in need of a base so that you can explore on day trips or tours everyday like we did.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Dawn D
Reviewed 10 August 2012

This is not a long report as I think roger 63, Julia T and Jalman6 12 capture all points I would raise.
A small comfortable hotel with clean rooms and public areas. Nice pool but a shame there is not enough room for proper sun loungers. Simple but good food but I agree about the coffee. Fortunately, I'd taken my own.
Not too far from either the center of St Agnello or Sorrento in a quiet location. If you are looking to be treated as individual and a friend of the staff go here. I cannot praise the friendliness and helpfulness of all the staff enough, If you are looking for polite aloofness of a 5 star, don't go here.

Room Tip: Ask for one at the front of the hotel. The back overlooks a car park
Reviewed 8 August 2012

My husband and i recently returned from spending 2 weeks at this hotel.
The hotel itself is nice, with a lovely, but small pool area. The main areas are air conditioned, and kept spotlessly clean.
The room is cleaned daily, with fresh towels. The cleaners were lovely ladies, and very friendly. The balconies are quite small, but do have lovely views - well ours did.
The breakfast, in my opinion was the real let-down of the hotel. I'm not a big breakfast eater, but do like a nice cup of coffee or orange juice with my breakfast. As has been previously mentioned, the coffee and orange juice are both awful - we would go for a walk into Sant Agnello for a decent cup of cappuccino each morning after breakfast ( theres a lovely little coffee bar called Blue island, and he only charges 1.50 for the best coffee we came across whilst in Italy). Back to the breakfast....I prefer to have fresh fruit for breakfast, but this was generally in short supply, there was a bowl of yoghurt, but with nothing really to go with it. The breakfast was extremely limited. The evening meal, in comparison, was always lovely! You choose from a menu at breakfast time what you want to eat in the evening, and then it is waiter service when you arrive in the evening.
I did think that the cost of the air-conditioning and safe were excessive, (80.00 and 54 euros respectively for 2 weeks) but were needed.
we did have some ants in our room, but they more or less disappeared when the air conditioning went on. Some people we met who didn't have the air conditioning had a lot of trouble with ants.
There were a couple of really nice restaurants in Sant Agnello, but most evenings we walked into Sorrento - about a 20 minute walk, and very scenic.
The staff at the hotel were generally very nice and helpful - although some of them do charge 1euro if you want some ice to take to your room, which I thought was excessive - it depended who you asked!
Overall, the hotel does well for a 3 star, in my opinion!

Room Tip: Rooms with a view appear to be quieter, and obviously more scenic - but you might have to pay more...
1  Thank rojer63
Reviewed 6 August 2012

This is a wonderful hotel and honestly cannot understand the bad reviews that have been written about it. We have just returned from a week's stay with our son of 11 years old. The room was cleaned to a high standard every day, the food was delicious with a good choice for breakfast and for the evening meal. Evening meals consisted of a salad bar, starter (usually choice of 3), main meal (again a choice of 3) and a pudding (usually a choice of 4). The staff were more than happy to accommodate any specific requests for either dietary purposes or for fussy eaters!! All hotel staff are extremely polite and willing to help. Room for three was of a good size with plenty of room to move about and store clothes. Yes, the shower cubicle is small and I suppose it may be a problem if you are overweight! Our room had a balcony which was right for catching the last rays of sun! Lovely clean swimming pool, just perfect for cooling off after a long day sightseeing. Very pretty walk into Sorrento - we took the back streets rather than walking along the main road and there is a pavement for all but the last few metres. We didn't use the air conditioning as we preferred to have the balcony doors open, so can't comment on charges. On our last day we had to leave before breakfast but a packed breakfast was prepared and left for us to collect when we checked out. Would definitely recommend Hotel La Pergola.

Room Tip: We had a room at the front on the first floor with a balcony overlooking the pool.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family