“Don't stay there! - Description online gives Wrong Impressions”
Review of Purple

Purple
Ranked #20 of 23 Sant'Agnello B&B and Inns
Reviewed 26 March 2014

We were looking for a nice and decent place to stay in Sorrent. We have found this hotel on tripadvisor and it promised a very nice room with a perfect location for a very affordable price. We also found other lovely hotels at much higher rates. Due to the special rate given at this date (35€) we have decided to go for Porto Salvo.

After our experience I can say the only good thing is the location.
We CANNOT recommend this place at all. The pictures online give absolutely wrong impressions. Nothing was as shown in the pictures. Our room was only 8-10m² with one little window. It was not the room with two windows and wide space shown in the pictures.
The whole building is quite cold. We have stayed there over March and we needed the heater, but the heater did not work.
The breakfast was not needed. It is only sweet stuff and toast. In case you are used to sweet breakfast I think you can live with that.
The worst thing in our opinion were the beds. These are a real impertinence. I guess they are the cheapest pallets from IKEA. The mattresses were bending all the way down to the floor. We stayed there for three nights and both of us got heavy headaches after the first night.

I think it is extremely unfair to give the rooms wrong pictures.
If I would have seen the real room in the first place I would have rather booked a hotel, which is 3 times more expensive.

Unfortunately, during our stay there we were too tired to really complain due to our headaches. In the end I didn't want to be mean and only write this bad review. So I have asked the staff for a 20€ discount to at least compensate for something. But there was no chance to get anything for it.

Room Tip: Don't take the cheapest rooms. They are cheating on the people with the pictures.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Fe L

Reviewed 2 October 2013

the porto salvo was lovery and clean, the cleaner was about all the time cleaning the rooms and bathroom the price we payed was good value for money.nothing was to much trouble we booked a taxi the day before the wedding to pick us up at 11 oclock on the day of the wedding and arrived on time . if you go out at night take your key with yiou as they lock the gates at ten thirty.bus stop with easy walkin distance I would definatly stay here again and I am realy fussy about were I stay but on a abudget its nice theres no safe in your room but there is one at reception wiched we used the bathroom along the corrider was clean toilet shower and wash basin .allways clean towels in the room I cant fault it

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 September 2013

First room we had was a small box, with no working AC and the window only opened half way (oh and the light switch didn't work! Had to walk over to the lamp every time) It was deadly. We then complained a couple times and finally got a second room which was a little bigger and we were much happier with. But it had two ac's and the only one that did work was too far. First night was so hot I couldn't sleep till 3. By the second night the room had cooled down thanks to the working ac and we were much much more comfortable. If we were given the second room in the first place I would have given it a higher rating.

Breakfast was great, location was pretty. I think the listing says it has ocean view which is not true. But the hotel is very close to a nice view point of the coast. It was about 20 minute walk to the train which was a little drag but we dealt with it as we were prepared for that.

Only reason why I didn't give it 5 for cleanliness was because the shared bathroom was nasty! The shower was ok (hot water and decent pressure but not the cleanest) the worst part was that the sink didn't work! So no one washed their hands after using the toilet! When I asked if there is a second bathroom with a working sink, receptionist said the sink does work. I said no the handle is broken. She said no the sink in your bedroom. Lol. Everytime I used the bathroom I showered after and then washed my hand again when I went back to the room.

Overall for last minute booking At $45 a night plus tax, it was alright. I have definitely stayed at worse in Italy ( ones with no hot water or not as clean in the room)
Advice: Book through their website it is the cheapest! Ask for room 11!!

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed 24 August 2013

Where to start? Our entire stay at this location was terrible. When we checked in we were "greeted" by a young girl. While I admit my Italian isn't amazing by any standards the girl seemed annoyed at my attempt at Italian. She seemed as though we were bothering her by checking in. We booked through hostelworld.com. We booked one room with two people, private. When we checked in we were given a shared bedroom in the hostel part of this "hotel". Luckily I had the confirmation of our reservation. The girl seemed to be doubly annoyed that she had to show us another room. The girl did not tell us any information - what time breakfast is, if there was internet, if we could bring food into the hostel, etc.

We were showed another room where two cots were pushed together to create a double bed. The cots were extremely uncomfortable. You can feel every wire through the thin mattress. We found hairs in our bed which could not belong to us because the hair was long and our hair was short. The room that was showed on hostelworld.com was a spacious room. The room that we were given, however, could barely fit both of us and our suitcases. We would have to stand up one at a time to get ready. The rooms were very dusty. The bathroom was listed as a shared bathroom on the website. I have stayed at other hostels and B&Bs with shared bathrooms however there was never any problems with a shared bathroom. At Porto Salvo there is one bathroom for a long hallway of rooms. There were problems with getting into the bathroom because of ques. The bathroom was always dirty. The shower was always blocked up and it turned into a bathtub whenever I tried to shower. There were never any mats for the shower and so the bathroom floor was frequently wet.

The service at the hostel was terrible and confusing at best. The breakfast, which we ended up finding out what time it was at, was not very good. There seemed to be a divide between those who can speak Italian and those who couldn't. The food which was offered for breakfast included: tea that tasted like dirty water, croissants, bread (if you're lucky), juice, something in a slushy machine that we could never figure out what it was, nutella, and melba toast for the nutella. There seemed to be some people in the breakfast place who were fluent in Italian and they had other breakfast options. They had items such as yogurt and espresso.

The physical location of the hostel was 30-40 minute walk to Sorrento. The website advertises a 15-20 minute walk into Sorrento and this is incorrect. We were never shown a map to get into town so it took us a day or two to find the fastest walk into town which was still around 30-40 minute walk.

When we were leaving Porto Salvo we had a dispute about the bill. When we booked the advertisement showed that the tax was included in the price of our stay. Porto Salvo did not honor this and we were told that the tax which was mentioned was the "reservation tax". I honestly do not believe that this is such as thing as a reservation tax. We ended up paying the extra city tax. I noticed a poster below that descried how they researched the city tax and it is supposed to be 1-2 euro per night and we were charged more than that.

All-in-all I would never return to this place.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank jdbellissimo
Reviewed 19 August 2013

I had my share of travels but nowhere did I have so many problems as here.
We booked 2 room for 2 people in single booking, but because “we didn't make separate bookings”, they gave us 1 room for 4 people and insisted that the mistake was made on our end.
On the website where we booked our rooms, they were advertised by having 24-hour reception and nobody told us otherwise. So when me and my girlfriend went out in the evening, we left the one key they gave all four of us with our friends. They had to stay up for 3 hours and waited for us at the yard, because the manager locked the doors to the hostel at 10 p.m.
The next afternoon one of the joined beds broke when my friend sat on it, and the response from manager was: “Nobody can come today to fix it. We can bring in a single bed or you can try to fix it.”

There were more problems, but others I could overlook if it weren't for those listed above...

I must say, that the place by itself is quite nice, but the staff hardly tries to make your stay a pleasant one...

Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank David H
PortoSalvo, Proprietario at Purple, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2013

Starting from the reservation: it wasn't done by our website, and the reservation was for a quadruple room with shared bathroom, and the guests had the room with en suite bathroom. At check in we specify that the reception closes at 21:00 so the guests should bring with them the keys to be able to return after the time of closing the gates. Finally, the problem of the bed: it was evening and we couldn't call anyone to fix it, but we have proposed to the customer to bring in a single bed.

Reviewed 6 August 2013

We recently stayed in this 'hotel' I would not recommend to anybody. There is nobody on reception to check in/out. The room was awful with no light in the room and very dirty! If u go back late ish they lock you out so we had to climb over a 8ft gate to get back in! The breakfast was disgusting I wouldnt even give it to my dog! There is no air conditioning and in over 30º heat its horrible! I dont think there is anything nice I can say about this hotel it is scary and I will never go back!!

• Stayed: July 2013
4  Thank scorpio1989
Reviewed 5 August 2013

A good budget option as its within walking distance of Sorrento and Sant' Agnello and an ok base for participating in day trips to Capri and Pompei. If you can afford to, stay somewhere else.

The bathroom floor was revolting as it was forever covered with a layer of water. The cause which we could never discover. Although we payed for a private room, one of the bedroom walls did not reach the ceiling ensuring we could hear people walking past the walkway. Our bedroom light was also in the walkway.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank jkitney
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sant'Agnello
Comfort Hotel Gardenia Sorrento Coast
0 mi away
Villa Garden Hotel
Villa Garden Hotel
#1 of 20 in Sant'Agnello

Been to Purple? Share your experiences!