“Everything was excellent!”

Hotel Continental
Bedford
“Everything was excellent!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2010

We recently had a weeks skiing holiday in Selva, and stayed at the Continental. From the moment we arrived, (which was late evening, after a flight delay), we received a warm, friendly, and helpful greeting. They even provided us with a hot meal despite arriving just after the restaurant was due to close.
The room was excellent, the food was very good, all the staff were very friendly and efficient, and the position of the hotel for skiing is superb. They have a very well organised, spacious, heated boot/ski room, and it is just six or seven steps across the road to the piste. You can also ski back just as close.
We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the Continental, and have just booked again for next January.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank HubertHubertson

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Ireland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 October 2009

I travel a lot for business and spend at least 15 nights per month in hotels; therefore there are 2 things which are really important for me when selecting a hotel – the room and the staff.

Given that I could spend up to 2 weeks in the same hotel I will always look for a new or recently renovated hotel which offers spacious, comfortable, contemporary style, quiet rooms. In addition to that, good professional yet friendly staff that makes you feel at home is a must. So, having spent weeks researching hotels in the Selve Val Di Gardena region, The Hotel Continental caught my eye as it got great reviews on Trip Advisor, the price within my usual budget and the rooms appeared to tick all the boxes.

The booking process was a nightmare and the guy (Christian) we dealt with on the phone was so unhelpful. He was unenthusiastic and so unfriendly that we actually felt like we were bothering him by calling. Yes, I know this should have raised alarm bells and it did, however we had exhausted all other options with regards to hotels in that area – they were too expensive, booked out, horrid or could not accommodate our entire stay. We did our utmost NOT to have to book The Continental, but in the end, the price and room type was what swayed us. After several phone calls with the ‘hostile’ Christian, we finally managed to book and send a deposit over to them. To be honest, we hated ourselves already for giving him the satisfaction of staying there – can you believe that. Imagine being made feel like that PRIOR to arriving!!

Anyway, when we got there, we were ‘greeted’ by the man himself (Christian) who succeeded in irritating us even further. My colleague is Italian and I too speak quite good Italian and when in Italy, we speak only in Italian. On arrival we spoke to Christian in Italian and he responded in English (he’s Italian by the way). This continued the first few days of our stay. Anytime we spoke to him which wasn’t often, as we did our best to avoid him at all costs, he responded in English. We found his mother to be equally hostile, and it took great self-control on our part not to tell them exactly what we thought of their awful hospitality whilst were there. However, we were stuck between a rock and a hard place – we had no place else to go and needed to ‘contain’ ourselves. So, we avoided them as much as we possibly could for the 10 days and tried to focus on the positive aspects of the hotel which I will go into now.

Our room was exactly what we expected – large, clean, light wooden floors, neutral colours, great décor etc…. It was ever so comfortable and quiet and I really looked forward to going back there in the evenings after dinner. The food in the restaurant was only ok – nothing special. The fact that we were half board meant that we ate there every evening and as a result had some great meals on some evenings and not so great on others. The real pain in the butt was that you had to decide what you wanted for dinner each evening at breakfast each morning! This was a first for us and did not suit us at all. The 2 girls working in the restaurant were great. They were very friendly, courteous and professional. What a shame that their warmth did not rub off on Mother and Son! As it happens, Christian did become friendlier as the days went on, but unfortunately for him the damage was irreparable at that stage. As for his mother, she remained as frosty as ever right up until the last minute. She really made it so obvious that she did not like us. She was particularly hostile to my colleague. There was another guy there who I think might have been Cristian’s brother – he was a very friendly guy, polite and professional at all times.

I forgot to mention that my colleague is from Naples and I am Irish. Whilst travelling around the Selve Val Di Gardena region we mentioned to our Clients about the poor hospitality we were receiving at our hotel and it would appear that my colleague being a Napolitano could perhaps be the reason why we received the reception that we did……. Who knows…….. I will be travelling back in that direction several times again in the future, however I will NEVER, EVER stay there again. They don’t deserve the business…

• Stayed September 2009, travelled on business
8 Thank ITALIA1234
chrislin08, Manager - Family Member at Hotel Continental, responded to this review, 19 November 2009
We are always glad about constructive and objective critics, doing everything in our power to have happy guests at our hotel; but as being humans we are not aware from doing mistakes. This review is far from being constructive and objective and needs some clarification from our part.

For over 40 years now our family lives from selling rooms and being host to people from everywhere around the world. Our interest is to convince people to book and come to our hotel and not to treat them in a way they book somewhere else.

Our booking procedure is pretty the same as in all family-run hotels throughout Europe: offer, confirmation asking guarantee and after valid guarantee from the guest, final confirmation of the booking from our part.

Exactly the same we did with these guests from Ireland. They booked in early august for mid September and were asked to guarantee within a week for it. The week passed by and no guarantee was send, after a second week the guests mailed us again asking us for a new offer. This in a way and order as there would never have been a prior contact between us, let’s not talk about a running reservation!

I answered them saying that our first offer is still valid and that they also already made a reservation, I would be pleased to help them if they have some more questions.

The guests called a few days later saying that as travelling for business and not for leisure, they are not willing to accept our booking and cancellation policy; plus they would like to have a further discount. I said that we already made them a good offer and therefore no further discount would be possible. Regarding the cancellation policy I offered them better conditions, especially because it was the lowest season throughout the year and we, as most probably nearly all other hotels in the Selva area, had still vacant rooms.

Some days later they called again asking to keep the reservation valid without any guarantee. They argued that their company does neither have a Visa/Master card nor a bank account !! I answered that I'm really sorry but unfortunately I can’t confirm their reservation without any guarantee.

A few days later, it was early September by that time, suddenly a Visa card appeared and we managed to finalize the reservation.

All the correspondence and all the phone calls were made by the Italian Lady in Italian. When at check-in together with the Italian ID an Irish passport was presented to me, I saw it as natural and polite to welcome the Irish Lady in English. This to make her feel more comfortable and relaxed. At that point a simple “parlo italiano = I speak Italian” from her would have been enough to avoid this unhappy situation. Unfortunately it went on some days as she always talked to me in English, till finally it came out she was fluent in Italian, from than on we talked in Italian.

Whilst checking out the Ladies asked and wanted to book for February 2010 being again in the area for business. As their travel dates were not fixed by that time we agreed that as soon as they know we get again in touch!!

Coming to my mother: she has indeed a reserved character and with great success she is doing this job for over 35 years now. Reading after all this years that she does not deserve the business: that hurts.

I would like to thank all the readers for the patience if they read till this point and tripadvisor for giving us the opportunity to respond to this review.

Christian Linder and family
Colchester UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2009

We stayed at the Continental for 7 nights as part of a 2 Centre holday with a British Package Holiday. The Hotel is located in the meadows above Selva, where in winter the nursery ski slopes are located. It is located right next to one of the Mountain Gondalas so gives you direct access to the mountains for walks or skiing. However the hotel is a stiff 10-15 minute walk uphill from the village centre, only with a hourly local bus service during the day only.

We stayed on a Half Board basis, which consisted of a varied Continental Buffet breakfast and a 5 course dinner, which usually had 3 alternative choices of starter, main and dessert. The food was of a very high standard and served by attentive restaurant staff in traditional dress.

Our room was on the rear elevation, and was furnished and decorated to a high standard, with a shared balcony. All parts of the hotel were decorated to the same high standards. The hotel has a wellness spa in the basement, but we did not use this facility during our stay.

The hotel was very popular with a cross of nationalities and wide range of ages, with several groups of couples with children. It is a family owned hotel, with attentive owners and staff, but lacked some friendliness and character, with service on a more formal basis. Fully meets it's 4 star rating.

On the down side, the bar area is very formal and lacks character - with very few people using it. The hotel also lacks any sun terrace, apart from a few sunloungers and benches in a small patch of grass surrounding the building

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Stephen N
Alcester, England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2009

This was one of the best and friendliest hotels we've ever stayed in!! Lovely, friendly and efficient staff, courteous yet informal manners and very attentive. The Linder family are very special hosts who look after their clients and quests well!!

Our room, at the back of the hotel, had great views of the Vallunga valley (from the balcony), which offers a fine, easy walk for everyone, and the Dantercerpies gondola which allows easy access to higher level walking.... great to nip up there at the end of a day out!!! Our room was spacious, comfortable with a great bathroom with shower (no bath.... no matter!) and bidet. Clean and modern.

Hotel meals were excellent (try the local wine... great) and the packed lunch we had as part of our Inghams deal was enough to get use through the day. Drinks were reasonably priced.

The reception staff were helpful and genuinely interested in caring for their guests. Who could ask for more?

The only downside to the Continental is the 10 minute steep uphill walk from Selva centre, but after a week of it we were all a lot fitter and had actually begun to master the local bus timetable (infrequent but fairly reliable). I would recommend the Gardena pass.... at 64 Euros the unlimited access it give to all lifts and buses up and down the Gardena valley, not to mention the little summer buses that pass by the Continental, which makes life a little easier, is well worth it!!! Use the Tourist Info office... good friendly and reliable advice!!

Selva is a great place.... spectacular and special. The Hotel Continental is one of the elements that made our stay highly memorable.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Trimbo
Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2009

My husband and I have stayed at the Hotel Continental for the last 10 years. This four star luxury hotel is located just up the hill from the main village of Selva, with wonderful views of the valley and mountains. From the moment of your arrival, the Linder family and their staff will attend to your needs.. anything to help you enjoy your stay. The rooms, which were renovated just last year, are spacious and comfortable, with great attention to detail. After a long day of skiing, there is nothing better than a down comforter.

If you are not a skier, there are plenty of things to keep you busy... from exploring the village of Selva, to wonderful long walks.. the Valunga (a valley a short distance from the Hotel) is truly breathtaking.

The food at the hotel is super.. starting with breakfast. There is an amazing selection of breads, cereals, cakes, yogurts, eggs, meats, cheeses... etc.. all fresh and delicious. It's a great way to prepare for the day of skiing or mountain walking. The evening meal is well thought out. The five courses start with a fabulous salad bar with a large assortment of fresh veggies, pastas, greens, and special grilled veggies. A variety of salad dressings and bread are available. The main dinner offers an ideal mix of cuisine from Italy, Germany, and Austria. You can start with a pasta in a spicy tomato sauce, follow with a cup of consomme with little dumplings, then a turkey cutlet, and finish the meal with apple strudel or another tasty desert. Each evening offers something different and delicious. One evening there is a dessert buffet and everyone eats especially fast that night to be the first at the buffet!

The once weekly evening of live music is not to be missed. Everyone from little children to grandparents can sing along and dance to a mix of traditional local folk music, Italian pop, German folk, and some American rock and roll... wonderful fun.

The wellness center is the perfect place to relax before dinner. With a choice of different saunas, steam room, heated bench, and more, you can warm up and sooth tired muscles at the same time... all in a large space that looks like ancient Rome.. beautiful.

The friendly atmosphere and attentive staff make everyone feel instantly welcome, and there are many guests (like us) who are repeat visitors.. and it makes a very entertaining international group.

Most of my visits have been in the winter, but I was fortunate enough to visit one summer, and the cool mountain air combined with the blue skies and beautiful green meadows against the mountain backdrop was super. With extensive walking trails and long daylight hours summer is a lovely time to visit here.

• Stayed January 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank SarahBigelow
Stirling
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 February 2009

For the sixth wonderful year, my husband and I joined our family in Selva in the glorious Italian Dolomites for our annual January skiing holiday at the charming and luxuriously appointed four-star Hotel Continental . Family Linder`s hospitality there is always first class, but this year we felt it was outstandingly good.

In particular, the chefs and the waitresses rose brilliantly to the challenge of meeting our requirements for two gluten-free diets and one yeast-free diet. (No easy task!) This made our holiday stress-free and every meal was a delightful and eagerly anticipated experience. The food was terrific! The charming head waitress and her team made us feel very welcome and every request was attended to promptly and efficiently. Amazingly, the hotel also thoughtfully provided delicious gluten-free bread, pasta and muesli. The coeliacs in the group were ecstatic, especially when the skiing appetites kicked in!

We would also like to praise our chambermaid, not only for keeping our wonderful room with its unbeatable view over Val Gardena `spick and span` (exceptionally clean!), but also for her unflagging cheerfulness, which got every day off to a great start.

The hotel spa was a haven at the end of the skiing day for those who needed to unwind tired muscles in the saunas and steam rooms. The hotel, a large traditional Tyrolean chalet right on the edge of the ski slopes, was also very relaxing for the non-skiing member of the group and Selva itself offers plenty of quality shopping: from Tyrolean woodcarving studios to gorgeous Italian lingerie boutiques.

There are plenty of activities for the non-skier. The ice sculptures near the church are always worth visiting and stunning scenery and wonderful walks are right on the doorstep. The nearby Vallunga valley walk was described by another guest as one of the most beautiful places he had ever seen on earth! (It doesn`t get much better than that!)

I need only add that Hotel Continental is very family friendly in the best possible way, where children are welcomed and catered for without their presence dominating the scene.

We`ll be back again next year, so if you`re booking a holiday there - and we thoroughly recommend Hotel Continental - make sure you leave our rooms free for the middle two weeks in January! Cheers!

• Liked — the excellent hospitality
  • Disliked — not relevant
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
1 Thank WilliamWallace84
Hampshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 February 2009

Myself and my husband have just returned from a ski holiday in the Val Gardena region and stayed at this exceptional hotel which I booked as part of a package with Inghams. The hotel is located out of the Selva Wolkenstein village centre adjacent to the Dantercepies cable car and is perfectly situated for the whole ski area. Our room was lovely, amply proportioned and had clearly been refurbished to a very high standard. The hotel restaurant is pleasantly informal with the most delicious food being served: a 5 course dinner in the evening with plenty of variety and a comprehensive buffet breakfast. The waiting staff are friendly, attentive and efficient. Taken as a whole the hotel is extremely well managed and is a real credit to the family that own it. I can't wait to return to The Continental and all that fantastic food!

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank thehippohaslanded